8/7/2013 UR: "Top 20 Flavor Text"

53 posts / 0 new
Last post
Solitude drove the old hermit insane. Now he only keeps company with those he can catch.

I feel like this needs a seperate catagory for humourous vs serious flavor text.

A personal favorite of mine that was left off is "The pyromancer summoned up her mightiest onslaught of fire and rage. Jace feigned interest." from the Jace vs Chandra counterspell. That alone makes that card my favorite version, even more so than the cool art. 
I always loved the ones that told a story. Like Hero's Demise. Or Spectral Rider:

Never a word. Never a warning. Only the sound of hoofbeats along the crossways, and the screams of the avenged.

I never really liked the 'red guys are dumb' flavor texts, but I thought Gorehorn Minotaurs pulled it off really well:

Some of the eleven minotaur clans of Mirtiin are expert crafters and learned philosophers. Others just l
ike to hit stuff.

The flavor text on Loyal Cathar has some really wonderful irony, but it doesn't work unless you see the card as a whole:
(Human Side)
"I trust myself to do my duty, even unto death. It's what comes after that I'm afraid of."

—Constable Visil, to Thalia
(Zombie Side)
"Just fight without fear. Your soul is protected by the hand of Avacyn and will never submit to evil."
--Thalia, to Constable Visil

And I always thought the contrast of the two Smallpoxen was interesting. They carry the exact opposite message:

(Time Spiral)
"Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings."

—Ratadrabik of Urborg

(2012 Core Set)
Take away a few things, and a rebellion may ensue. Take away everything, and the oppression will be accepted as fate.

My personal favorite flavor text is probably Venser's Diffusion:

"Each reality is but the dream of another, and each sleeper a god unknowing."

I'm also a fan of Rumbling slum's depiction of guild interactions:

The Orzhov contract the Izzet to animate slum districts and banish them to the wastes. The Gruul adopt them and send them back to the city for vengeance.

And, as an RHPS fan, I always have to give a nod to Tempest's Time Warp:

"Let's do it again"

—Squee, goblin cabin hand

The best flavor text of all time is Martyrs' Tomb. It's a very obscure card, but I've yet to see someone disagree once they've read it.

- Doug

"Collectability is just a code-word for ripping you off." - David Sirlin

Bojuka Brigand.

'nuff said!
I go for the dark/fun stuff.

Ad Nauseaum

"When the task spilled over into undeath, he stopped calling it his life's work."
My favorite flavor text tends to be quotes from the fictional characters of the Magic universe, as opposed to witty phrases without sources (with exception for great context) or real-world text.

Blasphemous Act
"Holy places are no longer sanctuary from death, and death is no longer sanctuary from anything."
—Thalia, Knight-Cathar

"Diplomacy has solved nothing. Only bloodspill can end this now. Call forth the warbringer."
—Basandra, Battle Seraph

Stranglehold
The correct answer to a barbarian's riddle is to choke on your cleverness and die.

Pillage
"Were they to reduce us to ash, we would clog their throats and sting their eyes in payment."
—Lovisa Coldeyes, Balduvian chieftain

Sorin's Vengeance
"Cherish these last moments. Though your miserable life has come to nothing, I have given it a magnificent end."

Day of Judgment
"I have seen planes leveled and all life rendered to dust. It brought no pleasure, even to a heart as dark as mine."
—Sorin Markov

Wow, this is a really good list, kudos!
Grizzled Leotau and Phyrexian Arena (8th and 9th edition)
17382e99.jpg
Killer Instinct has always been a favorite of mine.  I like a lot of the other ones posted here too.  I also agree that Redirect was a mistake and does not do justice to Jace's character at all.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Grow food in dirt? Save time, eat dirt. Goblins gardener Etb destroy land goblin Also these were already mentioned, but the enemy is getting too close, quick! Inflate the toad! And guess where I'm gonna plant this!

are there any books that include Jace, Chandra, or Garruk? if anyone could point me to them..

anyway, ppl in this thread mentioned a lot of great flavor text, but here is another:

"Words lie. People lie. The land tells the truth."

Sign In to post comments