To Voltron or not to Voltron?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Do people really hate Voltron decks?

I brought up the idea that I wanted to complete a Voltron deck to my playgroup. One gentleman was very vocal about not wanting me to make one. Generally because it's uninteractive. I can definitely appreciate that, but sometimes I feel like the decks sometimes get to be too much of just "good stuff". Yea sure they all have some of the same good stuff and use it to different goals but it still feels somewhat the same. I'm still saddened everytime someone plays Sylvan Primordial before I do.

So if I were to make a Voltron deck here's what I'm looking at:

Geist of Saint Traft: Equipment based

Sigarda, Host of Herons: Enchantress

Wydwen, the Biting Gale: Instant/Hatred/Runechanter's Pike
There's always Bruna. She is very brutal.

But out of those 3 choices, I would choose Sigarda, Host of Herons.
What, no Uril or Rafiq?

From your list for 1v1 I think I'd got Traft. For multiplayer it'd be Sigarda.

There's a guy at the LGS who runs Captain Sisay and tutors up Sigarda and Avacyn, amongst others. Once he's got the two of them in, it's pretty hard to beat.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

I'm definitely playing multiplayer. And I'm looking for something that's not brutal. Something that is manageable but can still win.  So to answer me first question:

Do people in your group generallly dislike playing against voltron decks?
I don't know that they generate hate the way that a combo deck would. But they tend to get targeted purely due to their efficiency. The local Voltrons are Sygg, River Guide (hosed if he can't get Sygg going, absurdly deadly if he does), Uril (same), and a trio of Rafiqs (always bad for the rest of the table).

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

I wouldn't say they are any more hated than other decks.  My playgroup doesn't really voltron that much.  I think the few times I have died to commander damage have been with zur the enchanter.  He is easy enough to combat if you run enough enchantment hate.  The only thing I wouldn't do is voltron skithiryx, the blight dragon.  That might piss off your group.
Honestly, my playgroup prefers my Khemba Voltron deck to my Wort Goblins, Rhys elves, or Melek decks. Guess it really depends on the effects of the commander and what you include to support him.

I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

My Current EDH Decks: Rhys the Redeemed Token Elves | Wort, Boggart Auntie R/B Goblins | Brion Stoutarm | Rakdos, Lord of Riots | Tajic, Weapon with Mass Destruction | Jor-Kadeen the Prevailer | Melek, Izzet Paragon | Heliod Enchantments | Prossh Tokens and Sac | Captain Sisay Legendary Toolbox Beatdown | Marath Beast Tribal | Marath Token Combos | Horde of Notions Elemental Tribal | Zirilian Mono Red Dragon Tribal

Yes... I have 14 built decks used regularly, including 3 Boros Colored Decks. Don't judge me. =P

I kind of want to make it a voltron with a replenish/opalescence sub theme. If I go sigarda. I don't want to be too oppressive. Ie no winter orb or Armageddon. But I was thinking kismet and parallax wave.
I think voltrons are fine. If your the first one to run one in your group you may win a few games early but any respectible group should either shift to compensate or at least be aware of what your threat cards are and respond when they see them.

If your group isn't willing to metagame for your new deck then they shouldn't complain when you beat them.

That said I think most voltrons aren't that bad because they usually become a bit of a glass canon. I run a Gisela Voltron, but if they keep Gisela off the field then it's often not going to do much else.

I like it cause it actually leads to more political games in my group. Not attacking the dude with the fist full of counters and removal because he allowed me to stick Gisela for instance.
Q: Why do Vikings love bad puns? A: Because they **** and pillage your ears. I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
I've got a Kemba, Kha Regent deck that does pretty well.  It doesn't tend to draw a lot of hate until I start wracking up the equipment, then people get a little uneasy.  However, one time this happened:

In case the pic is too small, that's a Sun Titan equipped with Loxodon Warhammer, Sword of War and Peace, Sword of Feast and Famine, Sword of Fire and Ice, Darksteel Plate, Fireshrieker and Bladed Pinions.  I won that game.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Just about any Commander can be 'Tronned up for the win, especially with equipment. My favorite Voltron Commander is Ruhan of the Fomori as he starts swinging on turn 4, and can kill multiple players before he dies for the first time (in my experience). Some commanders are obvious Voltron decks, and they just have to be managed by the group, such as Spell Crumpleing the commander, etc. Tuck a Uril and the deck will probably fall flat for the most part. When I make a Voltron deck, it is most effective with the commander going headlong into combat, but I make sure that they aren't the only good card in the deck just in case something bad happens. You need a second option, basically.

My group doesn't necesarily hate them, but anyone playing that sort of deck has the odds stacked against them for winning usually.
If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong, I still believe I'm right. Think of it as religion. dubito ergo sum.