Psionics in Epic

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I was looking back over Psionics-classes in PHB3 and wanting to try it out in Epic, but their damage is so nerfed (i.e. at-will's don't do extra damage after lvl 21 like Wizard/Warlock/etc do).

So has WotC revised them at all (i.e. via Dragon or somewhere else)?

The problem is, I play with some power gamers, so it makes my dudes worthless, if I'm dealing 30 damage, and they are dealing 60+ with attacks.    
So I was looking back over Psionics-classes in PHB3 and wanting to try it out in Epic, but their damage is so nerfed (i.e. at-will's don't do extra damage after lvl 21 like Wizard/Warlock/etc do).

So has WotC revised them at all (i.e. via Dragon or somewhere else)?

The problem is, I play with some power gamers, so it makes my dudes worthless, if I'm dealing 30 damage, and they are dealing 60+ with attacks.    

I dont think they have been changed to add more damage, but honestly at epic so much of your damage is not from the base dice that you should be fine if you get your static mod up there.
Insulting someones grammar on a forum is like losing to someone in a drag race and saying they were cheating by having racing stripes. Not only do the two things not relate to each other (the logic behind the person's position, and their grammar) but you sound like an idiot for saying it (and you should, because its really stupid )
At epic, you'll have loads more power points, so you can augment your low-level at-wills to their more damaging versions much more often. But as captpike points out, 1[w] or 1d8 more doesn't make much difference at high levels.
Okay...

So I'm interested in a Battlemind,

My lvl 23 "at-wills" do a whole 1[w], or [2]w w/ 2 Power Points (the same as a Fighter's at-will, 2w).  Out of my 15 points (13 to start w/ and +2 by Paragon paths usually).

So I could use my 15 points, for 1x +6 power, and 4x +2 power attacks in a battle, and then be out of points.  It seems like I'll burn through them before the end of the battle.       
1) If your encounters are lasting longer than 5-6 rounds, they're lasting too long.
2) Don't use the +6 power.  There are a couple of very strong defending powers at that level, with Augment 2- either Might of the Ogre Burst 1 knocked prone and provoke an OA for standing up (if you have a decent OA, that is), or Veil of the Mind's Eye, and all of your allies within 10 are now invisible.

Battleminds aren't as good as fighters, but either significant punishment (again, if you can get your OAs decent by that level), or a huge bonus to your allies' defenses against ranged/melee attacks, is pretty solid.

So I could use my 15 points, for 1x +6 power, and 4x +2 power attacks in a battle, and then be out of points.  It seems like I'll burn through them before the end of the battle.       

I played a level 23 battlemind.  I never ran out of power points.  Always ran out of opponents first.  
It's not generally worth, as a power point character, changing your at-will powers past level 13.  All the best options arrive before then, and some of them are truly build-warping.  Keep the lower levels, you can use them more highly augmented more times, which is better.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

I like battleminds,  the whole concept of empowering your weapon with your mind.  Battlemind's Demand as a mark just seems right - using your psionic power to compel enemies to attack you.  Agree that OA/melee basic is a big down fall... you basically lose a feat to fix it or have to use power points with certain powers.  One of my favorite things about with battleminds is that you get some great powers that target non AC defenses right from level 1 and plenty of option for burst/blasts or augmenting to burst/blast.  I also love the flexibility of power points over encounter powers.

Fighters are the best defenders, and paladins, wardens, and swordmages are pretty awesome in their own ways; but there's just something about battleminds, particularly persistant harriers, that I really dig.

TjD