Need Help with CharOps Blackguard/Executioner

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello all!!!

Could someone help me with my blackguard?

The idea is to make a survivable striker that can work nicely as a DPR and Nova characters(his at will, virtuous strike works nicely for DPR with werewolf and claw gloves plus executioner extra damage)

Currently he is for an Eberron campaign and anything from the charbuilder is valid!

as of now were at level 10 and Im having trouble, specially with picking a good PP for him(hard to find good cha based PPs ) I am currently planning on MC rogue with righteous fury + strong arm to keep a steady supply of THPs and more damage(at the moment the char gets its THP from ebon plate)

But of course, any other tips are appreciated!

BTW the helm is a flavor based item and a good help for eventual healings...

The character mainly achieves CA with the abduction ki focus + deadly draw and if needed, wrath of gods + blessed weapon can build up a good damage (saved for that extra hard encounter)

Assassins strike and dread smite are your nova powers allowing for some nice extra damage, and power of the sun is there to make that radiant based virtuous strike hurt a little more

Ghost of the rooftops is...well... a extremely fun power!(jumping around with full plate and shield sounds awesome ^^)

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======

Eberron BG/EXEC, level 10

Revenant, Paladin (Blackguard)/Assassin (Executioner)

Vice: Vice of Fury

Hybrid Paladin (Blackguard) Option: Hybrid Blackguard Reflex

Guild Attacks (Hybrid) Option: Red Scales (Hybrid)

Hybrid Assassin (Executioner) Option: Hybrid Executioner Fortitude

Hybrid Talent Option: Paladin Armor Proficiency

Choose your Race in Life: Githzerai

Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)

Theme: Werewolf

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STR 11, CON 10, DEX 18, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 22

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

STR 11, CON 10, DEX 14, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 18

AC: 28 Fort: 17 Ref: 23 Will: 22

HP: 80 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 20

TRAINED SKILLS

Bluff +16, Intimidate +20, Streetwise +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS

Acrobatics +5, Arcana +5, Athletics +1, Diplomacy +11, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +3, Heal +4, History +5, Insight +6, Nature +4, Perception +4, Religion +5, Stealth +5, Thievery +5

POWERS

Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack

Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack

Werewolf Utility: Wolf Shape

Revenant Utility: Dark Reaping

Assassin Attack: Poisoned Dagger

Assassin Attack: Quick Lunge

Paladin Attack: Dread Smite

Assassin Attack: Assassin's Strike

: Dread Smite (Additional Use)

Paladin Attack 1: Virtuous Strike

Paladin Attack 1: Majestic Halo

Paladin Utility 2: Bless Weapon

Assassin Attack 5: Heart of Dust

Assassin Utility 6: Ghost of the Rooftops

Paladin Utility 6: Wrath of the Gods

Paladin Attack 9: Shackles of Justice

FEATS

Level 1: Hybrid Talent

Level 2: Githzerai Blade Master

Level 4: Power of the Sun

Level 6: Righteous Fury

Level 8: Deadly Draw

Level 10: Devout Protector Expertise

ITEMS

Ebon Plate Armor +2 x1

Helm of Seven Deaths x1

Brooch of Shielding +1 x1

Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier) x1

Floating Shield Heavy Shield x1

Claw Gloves x1

Bastard sword x1

Abduction Ki Focus +2 x1

====== End ======

Thanks a lot for ther help! 

You didn't take Ki Focus Expertise. DPE won't apply if you are using the Ki Focus.

This build won't be a good striker (no real nova, low DPR for a striker). What concept are going for? Evil guy with a sword in heavy armor has stronger options.
you forgot to be a charging pixie

The idea is to make a survivable striker that can work nicely as a DPR and Nova characters

Based on this, you say you want a tough striker but that Strong-Arm Enforcer PP is building him out to be a defender so we're left confused. Taking a -2 to attack for some light control and paltry THP is no way to go for a striker.

Also, consider another (former life) race, taking Githzerai just for that one feat is not worth it, a lot of other races have far better support (Genasi, Tiefling, Pixie, Dragonborn...)

If you really want a full-fledged but well-defended striker, you'd go for a Ranger|Cleric.

However if you want suggestions that don't stray too far from your core idea, here's some:

•  Go Warlock|Blackguard (or |Paladin, or |Cavalier, whichever) instead of Blackguard|Exec. You'd have the full support of a rich striker class. Your MBA (the awesome Eldritch Strike) damage would dip only slightly if that's still what you care about, but you'd also have access to warlock powers, boons and Paragon Paths instead of going around with a near deadweight hybrid class (|Exec) just for the extra MBA muscle. You want to be using strong encounter powers in your first two rounds in battle at least so I wouldn't worry about it so much. Warlocks also have access to some of the best Paragon Paths in the game (Student of Caiphon, Academy Master, Evermeet Warlock) so you'll have a lot better to choose from.

• If you are adament about optimizing around the MBA, you should, as previously mentioned, add a full charging package which is complementary to a strong MBA build such as this. The race of choice is Pixie. The Paragon Paths to consider would be Guild Executioner or Kensei (swap encounter power).

You didn't take Ki Focus Expertise. DPE won't apply if you are using the Ki Focus.

This build won't be a good striker (no real nova, low DPR for a striker). What concept are going for? Evil guy with a sword in heavy armor has stronger options.

Executioners get ki focus proficiency

and the RP concept is a evil guy with sword in heavy armor that can survive a pack of monsters, slay them and suck their souls while rolling initmidate mid battle to scare everyone off (so a survivable striker, good at dpr and nova and focused on social skills).

of course RP concept can be adapted at the moment, as the character just went to training for 6 months(ideal spot for RPs / class changes) 

The idea is to make a survivable striker that can work nicely as a DPR and Nova characters

Based on this, you say you want a tough striker but that Strong-Arm Enforcer PP is building him out to be a defender so we're left confused. Taking a -2 to attack for some light control and paltry THP is no way to go for a striker.

Also, consider another (former life) race, taking Githzerai just for that one feat is not worth it, a lot of other races have far better support (Genasi, Tiefling, Pixie, Dragonborn...)

If you really want a full-fledged but well-defended striker, you'd go for a Ranger|Cleric.

However if you want suggestions that don't stray too far from your core idea, here's some:

•  Go Warlock|Blackguard (or |Paladin, or |Cavalier, whichever) instead of Blackguard|Exec. You'd have the full support of a rich striker class. Your MBA (the awesome Eldritch Strike) damage would dip only slightly if that's still what you care about, but you'd also have access to warlock powers, boons and Paragon Paths instead of going around with a near deadweight hybrid class (|Exec) just for the extra MBA muscle. You want to be using strong encounter powers in your first two rounds in battle at least so I wouldn't worry about it so much. Warlocks also have access to some of the best Paragon Paths in the game (Student of Caiphon, Academy Master, Evermeet Warlock) so you'll have a lot better to choose from.

• If you are adament about optimizing around the MBA, you should, as previously mentioned, add a full charging package which is complementary to a strong MBA build such as this. The race of choice is Pixie. The Paragon Paths to consider would be Guild Executioner or Kensei (swap encounter power).

Strong arm was more for the THPS and extra CHA mod added to Damage(with it and wrath of gods I would be stacking my cha mod 3 times on each of my paladin/blackguard "roll" powers. like the at will)

as for going warlock, I tried doing that but wont that give up a good amount of damage? (eldtrich  strike dont qualify for dark menace, so I would basically ignore the class feature) would paladin or cavalier be better? or is there a way to make this work? Personally if you could help me going that way Id appreciate it as the original concept was a warlock blackguard cursing everyone and hacking away with a fullblade(recently exchanged that for the more survivable bastard sword and shield tho... sadly, realy liked fullblades.)

Sorry for the triple post, but for future references, can you post that ranger/cleric build aswell?

and the RP concept is a evil guy with sword in heavy armor that can survive a pack of monsters, slay them and suck their souls while rolling initmidate mid battle to scare everyone off (so a survivable striker, good at dpr and nova and focused on social skills).

of course RP concept can be adapted at the moment, as the character just went to training for 6 months(ideal spot for RPs / class changes) 

1: Not the point.  Devout Protector Expertise only works if you're wielding a shield, 1-HW, Holy Symbol and no other implement.

2: Slayer's good for that.  So's Avenger, Warlock, Hexblade, purestrain Executioner, etc, etc.  Hybridding Blackguard isn't a terrible thing to do, but hybridding Warlock is likely to be better.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Devout Protector Expertise won't do anything if you are using a Ki Focus. Ki Focus Expertise will. Proficiency was not the issue, which might be why my post said nothing about it.

So basically a sword using striker in heavy armor that has Cha. Paladin|Warlock built as a striker (the Paladin side offers plate, a feat that allows you to use D10s for your curse damage, some other minor things) would be the strongest option. Be a Tiefling for Cha/Con and the amazing feat support.

You could do something weird by being a Slayer who does Cha/Dex, MC Bard, and taking the Daring Blade PP. You'd need to start at 11 for that to work though. This is not a great idea as it basically wastes your PP, but it'd work.
A straight Slayer with CHA for their tertiary for Will would fit the bill reasonably.  They can train Intimidate (and want to; Single Out is a nice power).  You don't get sword-and-board that way, though.

Going CHA/DEX/Daring Blade doesn't get you an MBA though does it?  I thought Daring Blade's stat-repalcement only worked on Martial powers.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Strong arm was more for the THPS and extra CHA mod added to Damage(with it and wrath of gods I would be stacking my cha mod 3 times on each of my paladin/blackguard "roll" powers. like the at will)

as for going warlock, I tried doing that but wont that give up a good amount of damage? (eldtrich  strike dont qualify for dark menace, so I would basically ignore the class feature) would paladin or cavalier be better? or is there a way to make this work? Personally if you could help me going that way Id appreciate it as the original concept was a warlock blackguard cursing everyone and hacking away with a fullblade(recently exchanged that for the more survivable bastard sword and shield tho... sadly, realy liked fullblades.)

Even so, Strong Arm is still pretty meh. You'll only be adding CHA mod damage to your following attack rolls to the target and if your party does focus fire (which it should), the target will be dead before you benefit from that feature. Not saying it's the worst thing in the world but compared to alternatives, I'd say you can do better.

Going for |Warlock won't give up that much damage, especially once you factor in encounter powers. Blackguard|Exec gets CHA+1d8/2d8/3d8 for MBAs and depends on getting combat advantage. Paladin|Warlock can get +2d8/3d8/4d8 for MBAs and all Warlock powers and the enemy needs to be cursed (you need Mindbite Scorn and Killing Curse, you can also get d10s instead of d8s by going Crimson Fire but that requires two minors to setup so you should weight the benefits). The key here is that you're not limited to applying the extra damage to MBAs and don't require CA. You'll be applying the extra damage when you use Warlock powers which are in general better for striking than the powers you have access to as a Blackguard|Exec. Crucially: Eldritch Strike is an arcane power that slides, meaning you can add any elemental type to it through the Arcane Admixture feat (enabling easier frost cheese and/or fire damage if you're a tiefling/using firewind blades) and you can prone at-will through flail expertise (which on top of controlling, helps with damage via feats). It also enables the White Lotus chain of feats, of note: White Lotus Reposte for extra catch 22 damage (golden for a dedicated striker especially). In fact, with good feat support, you'd be better off with Eldritch Strike. 

The question between going |Blackguard, |Cavalier or |Paladin is in some ways moot depending on what you're aiming for.

-Cavalier gets you a +4 to init and +2 to healing surge value on top of a defender aura if you want to do some defending or damaging catch 22s (which basically doesn't require actions to setup or maintain, you'll have your minors free to curse). Admittingly if you don't want to do any defending or catch 22s, a +4 to init is still relatively good.
-Paladin would give you access to Divine Challenge which for a Paladin|Warlock means that, through a feat, you can roll d10s instead of d6s for your curse dice if the target is both cursed and divine challenged (which requires a minor each unless you play around with rods). This is pretty good but the action or item cost for this shtick makes you wonder why you didn't just pick up killing curse (d8s instead of d6s) and be done with it. There are also other feats that revolve around Divine Challenge which may sway you to go |Paladin, but they're more defender oriented in general.
-Blackguard would be in question here as its benefits apply only to paladin powers which by and large aren't that striker oriented and will be probably snubbed in favor of Warlock powers if your goal is striking. You also won't be so focused on getting CA anymore anyway.

So to make a striker oriented Paladin|Warlock, you could take a look at a Warlock at-will shtick (which you'll get through the feat Twofold Pact as soon as you hit level 11). Note that the Paladin|Warlock can also be very defender or control oriented but these are more striker oriented selections:
-Eyebite can be quite effective to push the target to trigger your defender punishment for extra damage (a catch 22).
-The classic Hellish Rebuke for a double tap at-will (search the forums for examples)
-Eyes of the Vestige could maybe be interesting though I've never seen builds use it effectively

More importantly you should start thinking about your Paragon Path which will define how you pile on damage. There are many interesting options so I suggest looking at the Warlock handbook (maybe even the Paladin handbook if you want to do catch 22s). Here's some ideas off the top of my head:

-Student of Caiphon, a very powerful Paragon Path. You get an 18-20 crit range on radiant and fear warlock powers so you work around those, the rest is just gravy. This could fit many strategies, especially if there's a Morninglord in the party.

-Evermeet Warlock or Long Night Scion: Teleportation shticks. They can benefit a charging build. Evermeet can create catch 22s through the invisibility. Long Night Scion + Hellfire Teleport will deal 2x mods to adjacent enemies on teleports. Note that as a Warlock you have access to at-will teleportation.

-Astral Ascendant can also be good, especially for a Radiant party, depending on how you interpret the level 11 feature, you'll be dealing radiant Curse dice twice per round.

-Avernian Knight or Champion of Order for catch 22s.

-Academy Master, mostly for at-will spamming.

-Umbral Cabalist will give you a tremendous defense boost, which you seem to care about, but isn't very striker oriented otherwise.

Note that, for ranged warlock powers, you may want to opt for Mighty Crusader Expertise which will keep you from provoking opportunity attacks. This means that you can go for that Fullblade. Don't be so worried about the shield, plate armor still means you have top defenses for a striker.

Also, as a front line Warlock, the level 7 power Touch of Command will let you dominate an enemy for a round as an interrupt, which is just golden.

Sorry for the triple post, but for future references, can you post that ranger/cleric build aswell?

Here's a decent thread on the build, it's a classic. Follow it to the end, there's some quibbles about a few details but you'll get the point: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
A straight Slayer with CHA for their tertiary for Will would fit the bill reasonably.  They can train Intimidate (and want to; Single Out is a nice power).  You don't get sword-and-board that way, though.

Going CHA/DEX/Daring Blade doesn't get you an MBA though does it?  I thought Daring Blade's stat-repalcement only worked on Martial powers.

Not being primary statted in a skill usually makes that skill not very useful.

You'd also need melee training, but given his constraints.... Daring Blade would be almost entirely for stealing of real Fighter encounter powers (Rain of Blows, etc).

as of now were at level 10 and Im having trouble, specially with picking a good PP for him(hard to find good cha based PPs ) I am currently planning on MC rogue with righteous fury + strong arm to keep a steady supply of THPs and more damage(at the moment the char gets its THP from ebon plate)

I had a similar build and also just never found a satisfying PP. I'd probably go with Guild Executioner if you're sticking with Black|Exe. This build is nice in Heroic, but it just begins to lose steam in Paragon.

You are correct that Blackguard|Exe would be a bad idea because very little of the Blackguard would still be useful. Warlock|Exe works much better, but you'd lose the heavy armor you want. Keep in mind you can refluff armor if you're comfortable with that. AC ain't nothin but a number.

Not being primary statted in a skill usually makes that skill not very useful.

Nor's trying to use Intimidate in combat, especially on a high-damage striker.  0HP is the best form of intimidated.
And there's that belt that lets you use STR for Intimidate. AFAIK, waist isn't a hugely competitive spot.

I had a similar build and also just never found a satisfying PP. I'd probably go with Guild Executioner if you're sticking with Black|Exe. This build is nice in Heroic, but it just begins to lose steam in Paragon.

You are correct that Blackguard|Exe would be a bad idea because very little of the Blackguard would still be useful. Warlock|Exe works much better, but you'd lose the heavy armor you want. Keep in mind you can refluff armor if you're comfortable with that. AC ain't nothin but a number.

If you're ditching heavy armor and still want top defenses (arguably much better defenses actually), than permastealth is a real option for Warlock|Execs through Elusive Hexer (with drawbacks, check with your party). Actually it works with just about any Warlock hybrid as long as you have good stealth.

The question between going |Blackguard, |Cavalier or |Paladin is in some ways moot depending on what you're aiming for.

-Cavalier gets you a +4 to init and +2 to healing surge value on top of a defender aura if you want to do some defending or damaging catch 22s (which basically doesn't require actions to setup or maintain, you'll have your minors free to curse). Admittingly if you don't want to do any defending or catch 22s, a +4 to init is still relatively good.
-Paladin would give you access to Divine Challenge which for a Paladin|Warlock means that, through a feat, you can roll d10s instead of d6s for your curse dice if the target is both cursed and divine challenged (which requires a minor each unless you play around with rods). This is pretty good but the action or item cost for this shtick makes you wonder why you didn't just pick up killing curse (d8s instead of d6s) and be done with it. There are also other feats that revolve around Divine Challenge which may sway you to go |Paladin, but they're more defender oriented in general.
-Blackguard would be in question here as its benefits apply only to paladin powers which by and large aren't that striker oriented and will be probably snubbed in favor of Warlock powers if your goal is striking. You also won't be so focused on getting CA anymore anyway.

I really like Cavalier|Warlock, especially for the vast majority of games that don't make it to Epic.

White Lotus Repost + Eldritch Strike + Defender Aura effectively gives you +CHR to your attacks, except in bizarre circumstances (enemies teleporting, you getting killed).  Since you are taking Eldritch Strike anyways, it's basically a feat that gives you +CHR damage.

Unlike Paladin, you only have to turn your aura on once, and I have played with a number of DMs that allow you to keep your aura on all the time (ETV).  Even so, your first turn is Aura, Curse, Charge.

Scorpion Knight is an example of such a build...  that being said, I'm unclear what the best paragon path is for this sort of character.

Scorpion Knight: High Armor, High Damage in Heroic Safe Haven: Stay near me and never get hit Eldritch Avenger: Crit Fishing at level 12, LFR friendly

You may just consider a Yakuza themed Warlock|Executioner/Rogue/Student of Caiphon. It does pretty much everything the Blackguard does, but better. It lacks heavy armor, but you could just refluff.

So to make a striker oriented Paladin|Warlock, you could take a look at a Warlock at-will shtick (which you'll get through the feat Twofold Pact as soon as you hit level 11). Note that the Paladin|Warlock can also be very defender or control oriented but these are more striker oriented selections:
-Eyebite can be quite effective to push the target to trigger your defender punishment for extra damage (a catch 22).
-The classic Hellish Rebuke for a double tap at-will (search the forums for examples)
-Eyes of the Vestige could maybe be interesting though I've never seen builds use it effectively

More importantly you should start thinking about your Paragon Path which will define how you pile on damage. There are many interesting options so I suggest looking at the Warlock handbook (maybe even the Paladin handbook if you want to do catch 22s). Here's some ideas off the top of my head:

-Student of Caiphon, a very powerful Paragon Path. You get an 18-20 crit range on radiant and fear warlock powers so you work around those, the rest is just gravy. This could fit many strategies, especially if there's a Morninglord in the party.

-Evermeet Warlock or Long Night Scion: Teleportation shticks. They can benefit a charging build. Evermeet can create catch 22s through the invisibility. Long Night Scion + Hellfire Teleport will deal 2x mods to adjacent enemies on teleports. Note that as a Warlock you have access to at-will teleportation.

-Astral Ascendant can also be good, especially for a Radiant party, depending on how you interpret the level 11 feature, you'll be dealing radiant Curse dice twice per round.

-Avernian Knight or Champion of Order for catch 22s.

-Academy Master, mostly for at-will spamming.

-Umbral Cabalist will give you a tremendous defense boost, which you seem to care about, but isn't very striker oriented otherwise.

Just wow!

Really appreciate the tips!!! really helpfull ones too!!

Will try my hands at cavalier|warlock / student of caiphon!!

3 questions tho...

1st is there a way for eldritch strike to deal radiant damage without requiring the radiant weapons?

2nd is there a good way to give radiant vulnerability without power of the sun?

and 3rd any good MCs I should be aware of?

thanks a lot for the help!! it made me see light again(or darkness hehehe) on the original planned build of blackguard/warlock(altough going cavalier now, a aura doesnt hurt )

1st is there a way for eldritch strike to deal radiant damage without requiring the radiant weapons?

The feat Pervasive Light is defacto radiant damage if the creature is vulnerable to radiant damage.
Pelor's Sun Blessing is a boon that functions in a similar was the above feat.
The feat Sibling to the Stars turns your curse dice radiant but the requirements are a bit weird.
You can Arcane Admixture lightning to Eldritch Strike (or be a Revenant Genasi with Shocking Flame, or use a Forked Lightning Ki Focus or any Lightning weapon/implement) and then wear a Crown of the Brilliant Sun to turn it into radiant damage.
The level 2 paladin utility Bless Weapon.
Astral Ascendant PP

There's other ways as well but you may want to get a way for all of your implement attacks to deal radiant as well. One way which this can basically be done is by getting heavy blade implement proficiency (a few ways to do this, such as Arcane Implement Expertise) and then using a sunblade or Radiant Weapon which can be used as an implement. If you dont want to spend the feat, you can get a Crusader's Weapon which can be used as an holy symbol and a weapon, and it deals radiant damage.

2nd is there a good way to give radiant vulnerability without power of the sun?

Rod of Starlight
An ally or yourself with Morninglord PP
Punishing Radiance
Solar Enemy [divine channeling]
likely others

Battle Awareness for an extra MBA as an interrupt, though it requires off-stat investment, there's also good fighter feats to look at
Master of Stories + Correlon's Arcane Gift will let you hand out a +2 power bonus to hit to an ally everytime you hit with Eldritch Strike
Divine Channeler MC to get access to the Solar Enemy feat power
Wizard MC or Swordmage MC may be worthwhile as well

MC Avenger: (requires 13 Wis) for 2 rounds of double rolls.  If you go Student of Caiphon, this almost doubles your crit chance.

MC Swordmage:  This allows you to use your sword as your implement, saving costs and potentially making Radiant Weapon a great option.  Additionally, if you are an Eladrin Warlock|Cavalier, you could get Eladrin Swordmage Advance

(I do some analysis on this tradeoff here, but I don't come to a conclusion) 

Another Paragon Path possibility is Morninglord, if that is allowed.

Scorpion Knight: High Armor, High Damage in Heroic Safe Haven: Stay near me and never get hit Eldritch Avenger: Crit Fishing at level 12, LFR friendly

MC Swordmage:  This allows you to use your sword as your implement, saving costs and potentially making Radiant Weapon a great option.  Additionally, if you are an Eladrin Warlock|Cavalier, you could get Eladrin Swordmage Advance

Although he can do that with Arcane Implement Proficiency instead of using his MC feat.

MC Swordmage:  This allows you to use your sword as your implement

Although he can do that with Arcane Implement Proficiency instead of using his MC feat. 

Go ahead...  throw your feats away!

That is a good solution if you are attached to a different MC.  MC Swordmage saves a feat in what can be a very feat tight build.

I just don't see how the Swordmage MC saves a feat, they both cost a feat, it's just that Arcane Implement Proficiency isn't a MC feat.
I just don't see how the Swordmage MC saves a feat, they both cost a feat, it's just that Arcane Implement Proficiency isn't a MC feat.

It doesn't entirely save one, unless the expectation was that he was going to take Skill Training.  But it's a much better value, since you do get a free skill training for taking it.

The point is that if you are planning on using an MC feat at some point, AND you want to get Blades as weapliments, you save a feat by taking MC Swordmage, rather than both MC X and Arcane Implement Proficiency.

If you don't plan on taking a different MC feat, than MC Swordmage is strictly better than Arcane Implement Proficiency.  Let's ignore this case.

So if you are taking Arcane Implement Proficiency, you are wasting a feat (in order to get a different MC).

(There are a couple of other ways of enabling weapliments, like Avernian Knight)

Your tenacity is admirable, but no one takes an MC feat just to take an MC feat - you take it for a reason. If you have a specific reason to be a swordmage (such as qualifying for ESA) then it's a fine choice. If you don't, then as Master says your only benefit is training in Arcana (which is not a great skill for a STR|CHA build) and a small AC boost 1/day. We're not even considering Heart of the Blade here due to stat costs.

Taking up your MC slot for no reason isn't a benefit - it's a penalty. Yes you 'get extra stuff,' but that extra stuff may not be worth the opportunity cost, which in this case is your ability to MC in the future and the 13 INT it took to qualify.

In both cases you're spending a feat to get a particular benefit, so neither of them is 'wasting a feat.' If there were some kind of weird 4e requirement that you must take an MC feat, then you might be on to something. But weighing choices in 4e is often as much about opportunity cost as it is about direct benefits.