What do you love about the current packet?

Figured i'd start a counter thread.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Not too much so far, but I'll go through:

-Paladins being hinted at not being relegated to LG.
-Spellcasters seem to be the most balanced vs Mundanes that they've ever been with the exception of 4e. (still could use some work in some areas, but it's a start)
-Fighters are good, without being OP, with a couple feature exceptions.

I am currently raising funds to run for President in 2016. Too many administrations have overlooked the international menace, that is Carmen Sandiego. I shall devote any and all necessary military resources to bring her to justice.

Numero uno:  Weapon weights fixed.

Numero two-o:  Domains instead of deities.  I know this is merely semantic,  but I'm a little tired of the polytheistic assumptions which crept into D&D back in the early eighties.  A domain could represent a holy order, a patron saint, a philosophy, or even a whole family of spirits.

Numero three-o:  I like subclasses.  I find them more inspiring than fiddly customization.  I know some folks like fiddly and hopefully the game will accomodate both groups.

Numero four-o:  Less dead levels.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/10.jpg)

I love a lot of the structure and ideas behind the subclasses and general class structure.

It could use a little work but I really like the feat/attribute system.

I like the multiple attack set up more than Deadly Strike/Multi-Attack and how monsters are set up in response.

The classes seem more real and relatively balanced. I like that they're adding more properties and the like in to equipment. Would like to see more of that along with some general balancing. Overall I really, really like it.
I haven't finished reading the packet yet, but so far I like:

Gladiator.
Less dead levels.
School-based mage subclasses.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

In this packet, absolutely nothing stops a character from attempting to pick a lock without a lockpick. This is more consistent with typical fantasy, where adventurers routinely pick locks with whatever bits of scrap metal they have on hand.

(While I consider this to be an improvement overall, I have to point out that the thieve's tools as written do nothing. Both possible uses for the thieve's tools have the same effect as a normal skill check. Obviously an oversight.)

No dead levels.

Fighters and other martial characters look properly heroic. Still waiting on the playtest results and CharOp threads to verify that, but the initial scan is promising.

The halberd takes weapons in an interesting new direction.

Barbarians are finally becoming a true class of characters, as opposed than a 20 level progression in being that one guy. There aren't too many choices after first level, but all classes are like that for now, so at least it's consistent.
Fighter and Rogue classes look pretty good.  I have playtested them so far and I have no complaint.  I like this Barbarian better than the less packet from reading only. 
My favorite packet so far.

Liking classes, feats, backgrounds, monsters. Shoot. I'm very pleased for the first time since this started.
A few of many things I love...

I love the mention of sorcery and witchcraft under the mage's arcane traditions.

I love the expertise class feature.

I love the removal of the spiked shield.

I love the return of the sickle.

I love the layout of the pregen character sheets looking like monster stat blocks.

<3

Danny

I sort of like how the fighter's combat superiority dice function now. The rest is pure disheartening drivel.
I think this is the best packet in quite some time.  Each of the classes is really starting to fill out and develope and identity, with the subclass system/and the ability to create new subclasses, creating almost unlimited creative options.  Some of the details need tweaking, and the math needs adjustment, but overall I feel very positive about where things are headed.
I might be willing to try to play a rogue again with the current assassin path, although waiting until 6th level to get my poisons (and what price are they anyway?) is irritating. 
I like the separation of feats from standards character builds.  For groups that want sinpler play, this is a nice approach.

Though not a fan of feats, these feats are cool.  More powerful.  Less feats really make for some interesting choices for us when advancing our characters in level.

I like the tying of skills to ability scores.  Keeps things lean.  Lower (or no) skill modifiers need not mean weaker PCs.  A DM need only keep the DCs within reach.   I recall reading in a 3e elite PHB or whatever it was called a DC for balancing on a cloud.  Give me a break.

And, rogues and rangers get an expertise die to use with attribute specific skill checks.  

it will be easy to add a skill system as a supplement.  

the equipment proficienices add some real flavor to equipment items - which have always seemed mundane or even an afterthought. 

Overall, I like how the classes are increasingly differentiated.  Everyone has something to do - and it is something different.  Though class balance is not terribly important for me, every class can contribute during combat encounters.

I think this packet hints at good things to come.

These new forums are terrible.

I misspell words on purpose too draw out grammer nazis.

I am liking this packet. I think it is a big improvement over the last one.

I think it is a lot more streamlined, and they are getting their terminology down. I did up some test characters and it was easy to get things organized on the character sheets. YEAH! Good-bye, cluttered, overcrowded, disorganized character sheet.

I love where they are going with the fighter class. I see they have finally fixed superiority dice so it is not bonus damage>maneuver. Now it is maneuver, but if not bonus damage.  I am looking forward to playtesting this, and hope it works as well as it looks on paper.

I like the stat boost OR feat. I like that feats are big.

I am happy with the way the game is improving in general, though I will still have a lot of specific nitpicks.
I haven't tried it out yet but:

1). Tactical Warrior (yes, marking is back and I'm hoping it's here to stay).

2). Paladins' not being relegated to only LG and no silly "fail" rule implemented. Could use some work in areas though.
Classes are stating to resemble proper classes and no dead levels. Nice simple and elegant as well and it plucks at the heartstrings. Skipped the last packet this one looks like fun.

Fear is the Mind Killer

I like that we have eniterly new things to argue about now!
I have an answer for you, it may even be the truth.
My first impression of this packet was rather positive. After a brief attempt at making some characters, I found it increasingly fun. It's very easy to make a viable character who has interesting options stand next to a min-maxed combat monster w/ a stat of 20. While I still think loosening the bounds of accuracy would be cool, as is it seems to limit the character power disparity.
I'm digging mounted combat, holy melee attacks, fighters being tough to kill, barbarian's rages gaining more as they level (I would like to see them w/ more non-rage options via a subclass), I dig the range of fighter subclasses (I think in the future there will be a farout warblade subclass), I like the more nonmagical healing options. There are more things, but those are just what popped into my head.
"What's stupid is when people decide that X is true - even when it is demonstrable untrue or 100% against what we've said - and run around complaining about that. That's just a breakdown of basic human reasoning." -Mike Mearls
I like the classes directions as path subclasses

I like the feats as more character defining elements

I like Exaustion rules and how it interact with forced marching, extreme weather, high altitude, food and water deprivation etc

I like the Pouch/Chest/Hoard Treasure system as simple generation system
I love Halflings and Half-Orcs. I love the Open Palm Monk and the base Monk chassis. I love the Way of the Warrior Fighter. I love the idea of creating your own subclass and combining that with multi-classing to make unique PCs; it is yet to be seen if this lives up to its promise, but I am hopeful.
I like that it is becoming more clear how modularity will work.

I like that even though this new package is more fleshed out, there is still much more that can be added. That's exciting.

A Brave Knight of WTF - "Wielder of the Sword of Balance"

Rhenny's Blog:  http://community.wizards.com/user/1497701/blog

I like Exaustion rules and how it interact with forced marching, extreme weather, high altitude, food and water deprivation etc

I like the Pouch/Chest/Hoard Treasure system as simple generation system

These are solid rules, and a highlight for me. 

1)  We finally have some sort of Multiple Attacks taking shape. It still isn't quite there, imo, but it's a huuuuuuuuuge step from the weirdness of Deadly Strikes.

2)  Ricochet seems to be gone. Finally! Yay!  (Unless they shoved it somewhere else, a feat or something like that--haven't had the time to read the whole new packet yet.) 

I may have more points to cover after I find the time to read everything.
On a less gloom and doom note, the Monk has potential. Not a finished product but I like the general direction. The current ki system has a bit of my attention.
I also am glad to see domain rather than deity, a semantic quibble to be sure, but pleasant.
Alignment restriction seems to have become a polite suggestion. This leaves the matter to the individual table, which I appreciate.
I have an answer for you, it may even be the truth.
I like the class structure. 

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I dig the Feats. I don't like that stat bumps and Feat share resource space, but I dig the implementation of "bigger" feats. I'd be happy with fewer feats, available earlier and have stat bumps pulled out of their resource pool.

I dig the subclass structure. I want to see a "simple" Mage to go with it (an encounter based wizard would be an easy way I think). I want to be able to do interesting things earlier in the builds, but I understand everything can't be given at first level.

I really liked the move to make the Wizard..mage...whatever subclasses the old Wizard schools. I'd like to see the generalist subclass from the previous package reworked to fit the new style.

Domains! Yay!  Not that gods are bad or anything, I just feel like the "Typical gods of this Domain" sidebar is less restrictive. 

Paladins with no Alignment requirement.    
I like Exaustion rules and how it interact with forced marching, extreme weather, high altitude, food and water deprivation etc

Oh wow, I didn't notice these until you pointed them out. Very cool.
I like Exaustion rules and how it interact with forced marching, extreme weather, high altitude, food and water deprivation etc

Oh wow, I didn't notice these until you pointed them out. Very cool.

What you said.

Am I reading it wrong, or is there a mistake in the example of play? In the example, the party moves at a fast pace and chooses exploration tasks, which isn't supposed to be possible.
I love the "Paths" that each class is gaining, and how they drastically alter the feel of gameplay. Each class still has it's core elements, but each path feels very different from the next. 

Archetypes are what finally got me into Pathfinder, and it excites me to really see some of this game changing feel come into next, at least in this scope. 
My two copper.
I like the titles of the PDF documents and most of the How to Play doc.

If you think my english is bad, just wait until you see my spanish and my italian. Defiling languages is an art.

I like the fighters new powers - they feel chunky.

I like how people tend to use D&D as a stage for the dramatic dislikes since they don't actually seem to like anything about actually playing the game...wait, no, I dislike that...

"In the game there is magic" - Orethalion

Only got words in my copy.

Half-orcs.

Assurance that bard would make it.

Continued absence of Warlord

Baseline Sneak Attack

Oriental weapons explicitly optional and purely flavor, and 2H finesse Katana removed completely.

Direction that mage subclasses are going (Enchanter sounds like fun)

Totem Warrior subclass for Barbarians

Redesigned druid forms (inc. restriction of combat forms to one subclass, with more reasonable scaling) 

Combining several related Feats into single "package" Feats

Medium armor baseline for Clerics

The way all the mideval realism dorks went postal over 110 pound armor

"Therefore, you are the crapper, I'm merely the vessel through which you crap." -- akaddk
Almost everything. About the only thing I don't love/like are scaling cantrips and horribly underpowered rangers. Some other elements could use minor tweakers, but to be honest, this packet is pretty much my dream edition. 
I like the class structure. 

Its got some potential doesnt it. 
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Second Wind.

I'm finally hopeful that the things I like and want will be in 5e.

Now if only they give us an actual Warlord.
Ahh, so THIS is where I can add a sig. Remember: Killing an ancient God inside of a pyramid IS a Special Occasion, and thus, ladies should be dipping into their Special Occasions underwear drawer.
What I like:

The feats are better (except for the spellcasting ones).

Multiple Attacks with the same attack bonus instead of deadly strike. At first, I was against it, but I now think it was the right move. It helps strength and magic weapons remain relevant. I just wish barbarians, paladins and rangers got 3 attacks like the fighter.

Alignment restrictions are gone.

The Totem Barbarian.

Fighters are alot better overall.

The removal of the "warden" from the paladin class. 

They finally got Sneak Attack right.

The Mage traditions are much better.

All mages can cast ritual spells out of their spellbook without preparation. Finally, the spellbook is as much an asset as a liability.
I love that healing kits stabilize, as opposed to revive with 1 HP.

I love that the druid paths feel wholly unique.

I love that Mage Armor is no longer spam-bait.

<3 

Danny

They finally got Sneak Attack right.

+1 forgot to mention that
Second Wind.

I'm finally hopeful that the things I like and want will be in 5e.

Now if only they give us an actual Warlord.

they said the warlord is being tested in house it was on mearls twitter.
I love what they've done to the fighter, barbarian and wizard (apart from not calling them wizards).  There's more gambling in there - crit fishing is fun, overchanneling is fun.  Barbarians having build options pleases me.

I love the reintroduction of martial healing as core.  I love the new sneak attack rules.

I love backgrounds granting a social benefit and proficiency with a set of tools.  I hope they expand on those, because they're a good point of contact between the character and the game world, and offer more customization as the carrot.
"When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish." D&D Outsider
Sign In to post comments