Which Striker Hits Hardest?

125 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am looking to play a savage Gnoll type character that has no strings attached furious raw damage (preferably with the claw weapons they get). I want to get in and melee things hard, no tricks, no stunts, barely any CC (status effects). I just want to brutally claw, rake and rend things with as much damage as I can squeeze into every round until they die. I was thinking Ranger, Rogue or possibly Barbarian.

Any thoughts?
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Anything that can attack more than once per turn.  Read:  Ranger, rogue, FIGHTER.
What Fighter build deals the most damage? I only ask because you capitalized it as though it was clear and above the best option. Otherwise I'm thinking maybe Two-Weapon Ranger??
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.

Melee ranger is the king of practical-op damage, pretty much.

Fighters hit hard because they have native access to big weapons and lots of multi-attacks (Rain of Blows, Trip Up, Bash and Pummel is a very good strike encounter powers list), plus off-turn attacks given the right triggers, not to mention some premium PPs (Shock Trooper, Kensei, Dreadnought).
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Haven't some charge builds actually overtaken the Ranger in terms of DPR?  They've certainly been popular around here at least.  Though you do gotta put a little work into them, whereas the Ranger is pretty much a DPR/Alpha Strike king as long as you don't screw up the build.
There's Brutal Barrage Battleminds with damage type tricks, i guess.

Actually, a Gnoll Werewolf Battlemind/Monk/Soaring Blade with Claw Gloves could tear things up pretty well in high paragon.  Though not as well as a Genasi, because Genasi have way better support. 
I am looking to play a savage Gnoll type character that has no strings attached furious raw damage (preferably with the claw weapons they get). I want to get in and melee things hard, no tricks, no stunts, barely any CC (status effects). I just want to brutally claw, rake and rend things with as much damage as I can squeeze into every round until they die. I was thinking Ranger, Rogue or possibly Barbarian.

Any thoughts?

"Which Striker hits hardest?" is a very vague question and depends on so many factors. 

What level do you start at? If you'll experience epic tier it's indeed possible to combine nastiest nova potential + the Gnoll concept. 

What's your group's setup? Group synergy is an important thing for highly optimizing a Striker.

Aye, on your own you can optimize for solid damage, but when compared to properly synergizing with your party's tricks, such as Agile Opportunist or a Morninglord, etc, solo damage is pitiful.  =)
My point wasn't even Morninglord, since Morninglord is a universal weapon and makes every striker far better pretty much equally (to be frank, they're mandatory in party for every BB op'd build).
Specific builds in party favor specific Strikers in party more than they favor other Strikers, tho.
Well, yes, but my point is he's asking for an optimized striker using only himself and not his party.  And I was using Morninglord as one of many many examples of why optimizing in a void is kinda dumb and results in a much poorer striker. =p
While it's perfectly possible to get 100% out of a build in a vacuum, party op tweaks can push it way above that.
A BB op'd Genasi Battlemind|Warlock, for example, would have to pick Morninglord by himself in a vacuum, to be truly optimized. If someone else plays Morninglord for him, tho, he can instead pick Lyrandar Wind-Rider and a Crown of the Brilliant Sun and profit so much more. 
Most thoroughly written build handbooks optimize in a vacuum and offer variants for certain circumstances for unexperienced players that can't imagine possible synergies by themselves.
Haven't some charge builds actually overtaken the Ranger in terms of DPR?  They've certainly been popular around here at least.  Though you do gotta put a little work into them, whereas the Ranger is pretty much a DPR/Alpha Strike king as long as you don't screw up the build.

There are a small handful of theoretical charge builds that have comparable DPR to a standard Ranger. No one should actually play them (mount dependent on a mount that'll die frequently, no way to set up the next charge, terrible defenses, etc). Of the three viable strategies for making optimized strikers (Crit-fishing, multi-taps/attacks, charging) charging only works in Heroic and, if you take the right ED, Epic (kind of). Crit-fishing basically only works in Epic (a handful of exceptions). Mutli-taps/attacks? Always works. And Rangers are the kings of that strategy.

This is why starting level is really important. Cleric|Ranger is nearly always the default answer because it always works and meets all benchmarks. Other builds very much have sweet spots and, in some cases, an entire tier where they just aren't that good.
I'm sorry for the vague information.

I am playing with an entirely new group and we don't have very many damage dealers. We have a make up of the following:

Level 3 Elf Weaponmaster Fighter (Link). This guy is supposed to be our second striker so he's an arena style fighter because the GM wanted me to pick a class that could utilize random magic items and play kind of like Link, bombs, boomerangs, grappling hook, spinning sword attack. Since I didn't know what class would be best I went with light armored fighter.

Level 3 Pixie Warlod|Wizard Hybrid (Navi). This girl is Link's girlfriend and basically totally new to the game. I ended up coming up with the funny concept of Navi always telling Link what to do so I made her a Lazylord/Wizard hybrid with a lot of control spells like beguiling strands, Sleep, Charm of Misplaced Wrath and a lot of things like Commander's Strike and abilities that can basically tell link "Hey, over here! Hit that guy!"

Level 3 Dwarf Cleric. This person is the team healer. The first party we ran with didn't have a healer at all and we got massacred. Actually we had a Warlord but the guy is super lazy and sort of doesn't care so he didn't even know we had a heal. We're giving Cleric to another more motivated guy and he's supposed to be a Dwarf Cleric who is the Patron Saint of Wine trying to convert Dwarves from loving beer to loving wine since he was playing a Cavalier and didn't seem to be too into it either. So he will be our healbot since he enjoys lore/roleplaying more than getting in there and getting his hands dirty. Fine, you can do nothing in the back and toss heals when needed and be the comic relief, no problem.

Level 3 Bugbear Knight. This is the tragic hero, the Bugbear is a convert to some lawful good religion but he's a little bit too naive/stupid to completely do the right thing all the time. Sort of like he'll just walk up to someone and be like, "You bad? Me smash!" He's our front-line defender, a valiant and brave soul who just isn't that bright. Think sort of like Goku, silly, dumb, loves food but when it's time to save the world he steps it up.

Then there's me. Level 3 Gnoll....Super Strong striker class? As you can see we have people that have 0 idea for party optimization, much less know how to even play really. Therefore I needed a solo striker to be able to help combat move along quickly. No fancy tricks, no warlock controlly stuff, just get in there and smash. Smash -really- hard to make up for all the support classes we have. Honestly I will be the only -true- striker of the group and that's fine. However in the desperate need for raw damage I was looking for whatever class/build can rely on itself to go ham and bust out the big numbers since it doesn't look like anyone else can either.

As for the Link character? If you guys know of a perfect build that's a true striker and can suggest it? I'm all for it. He's a dude with a sword, a shield, a spin attack, boomerang, arrows, grappling hook, gauntlets of strength, sort of a jack of all trades but a silent and strong hero. If Weaponmaster works fine then I'll just pick whatever powers hit hardest and hope he can deal tons of damage.
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green

Here are two characters I came up for the best independant damage I could find:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Alistar, level 3
Minotaur, Barbarian
Build: Rageblood Barbarian
Feral Might Option: Rageblood Vigor
Inherent Bonuses
Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Mercenary

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 15, DEX 16, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 11

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 13, DEX 16, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 11

AC: 15 Fort: 17 Ref: 15 Will: 11
HP: 45 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +10, Endurance +8, Intimidate +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Arcana +0, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +1, Heal +1, History +0, Insight +1, Nature +3, Perception +3, Religion +0, Stealth +4, Streetwise +1, Thievery +4

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Mercenary Attack: Takedown Strike
Minotaur Racial Power: Goring Charge
Barbarian Feature: Swift Charge
Barbarian Attack 1: Howling Strike
Barbarian Attack 1: Pressing Strike
Barbarian Attack 1: Desperate Fury
Barbarian Attack 1: Tyrant's Rage
Barbarian Utility 2: Feral Rejuvenation
Barbarian Attack 3: Brutal Slam

FEATS
Level 1: Spear Expertise
Level 2: Weapon Focus (Spear)

ITEMS
Hide Armor
Adventurer's Kit
Longspear x1
====== End ======

Hogger, level 3
Gnoll, Ranger
Build: Two-Blade Ranger
Fighting Style Option: Two-Blade Fighting Style
Ranger Option: Prime Shot
Inherent Bonuses
Theme: Noble Adept

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 15, DEX 15, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 13, DEX 13, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 8

AC: 18 Fort: 17 Ref: 15 Will: 12
HP: 45 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +9, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +8, Nature +6, Perception +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Arcana +1, Bluff +0, Diplomacy +0, Heal +1, History +1, Insight +1, Intimidate +2, Religion +1, Stealth +2, Streetwise +0, Thievery +2

POWERS
Noble Adept Feature: Adept's Insight
Gnoll Racial Power: Ferocious Charge
Hunter's Quarry  Power: Hunter's Quarry
Ranger Attack 1: Twin Strike
Ranger Attack 1: Careful Attack
Ranger Attack 1: Off-Hand Strike
Ranger Attack 1: Jaws of the Wolf
Ranger Utility 2: Invigorating Stride
Ranger Attack 3: Ruffling Sting

FEATS
Toughness
Level 1: Armor Proficiency: Chainmail
Level 2: Weapon Proficiency (Bastard sword)

ITEMS
Chainmail
Adventurer's Kit
Bastard sword
Dwarven Chainmail +1 x1
Amulet of Protection +1 x1
Battlecrazed Bastard sword +1 x2
====== End ======
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green

If you want the best damaging functional striker, re-read Alcetis' suggestion on Ranger|Cleric.  Gnoll isn't optimal, or even a second-tier optimal ... I'd suggest going with a str/wis race like Longtooth Shifter reflavouring as a Gnoll.  Cleric gets you much better armor (scale + 2 shield bonus with Battle Cleric's lore) and powers like Mighty Hew (E1), Augment of War (D5), and Divine Favor (U6) that strongly enhance the ranger side.  

Edit:  Also options like re-breathers, Bookish Barbarian, etc., but it doesn't sound like they'd fit in your game.
If you want the best damaging functional striker, re-read Alcetis' suggestion on Ranger|Cleric.  Gnoll isn't optimal, or even a second-tier optimal ... I'd suggest going with a str/wis race like Longtooth Shifter reflavouring as a Gnoll.  Cleric gets you much better armor (scale + 2 shield bonus with Battle Cleric's lore) and powers like Mighty Hew (E1), Augment of War (D5), and Divine Favor (U6) that strongly enhance the ranger side.  

Edit:  Also options like re-breathers, Bookish Barbarian, etc., but it doesn't sound like they'd fit in your game.

Does augment of war work?  I mean I don't believe you are your own ally.  However weapon of the Gods does much the same thing, at the same level, albeit not quite as well.

But yeah Ranger/Clerics kick metric-****tons of ass, tough, strikery, and work really well, all you need to be sure of is that your a str race and it should be awesome. 
So I could be a Minotaur Ranger/Cleric and be king of DPR? I like the idea of a giant bull rampaging through enemies crushing them with mighty blows and basically being a bull in a china shop wrecking everything in his path and being nigh unstoppable since nobody else in the party is really equipped to dish out tons of damage.

Edit: Is Ranger|Cleric a Hybrid? I know 0 about optimization, I typically just use the guides for cookie cutter "good" builds and pick all the gold/skyblue powers..
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green

Does augment of war work?  I mean I don't believe you are your own ally.  However weapon of the Gods does much the same thing, at the same level, albeit not quite as well.

Yeah ... you could do some shenanigans (telling your ally "hold this for a sec"), but baring that, you're right.  However, Weapon of the Gods (same level) would work.
I'm afraid I don't know anything about this build, is there a guide for it somewhere around here?
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green

Yeah, Ranger|Cleric is a hybrid.  Here's an example.  It has a couple healing powers (Stream of life), but is pretty striker focused.  Moment of Glory (D1) for a great leader power if you wanted that instead.  Depending on your party and fortune with gear you could go for radiant or frost optimization.   For paragon paths Tactical Warpriest or Paragon of Victory are solid, perhaps others but I'm not too familiar with the ranger or minotaur options.  Double-Sword was chosen as a +3 dual-weapon, you could easily go with something else as you like.  

Show

level 15
Minotaur, Ranger|Cleric
Hybrid Ranger: Hybrid Ranger Reflex
Hybrid Cleric: Battle Cleric's Lore
Hybrid Talent: Ranger Combat Talent
Ranger Combat Talent: Prime Shot (Hybrid)
Goring Charge Key Ability: Goring Charge Strength
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 22, Con 11, Dex 15, Int 9, Wis 22, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 10, Dex 14, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 10.

AC: 34 Fort: 26 Reflex: 23 Will: 30
HP: 104 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 26

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception +20, Athletics +19, Dungeoneering +18, Nature +20

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +9, Arcana +6, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +7, Endurance +8, Heal +13, History +6, Insight +13, Intimidate +7, Religion +6, Stealth +9, Streetwise +7, Thievery +9

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Double sword)
Level 2: Light Blade Expertise
Level 4: Superior Will
Level 6: Improved Initiative
Level 8: Agile Stand (or whatever, retrained to Called Shot at Level 11, )
Level 10: Hybrid Talent
Level 11: Prime Punisher
Level 12: Nimble Blade
Level 14: Prime Quarry

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Twin Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Brand of the Sun
Hybrid encounter 1: Mighty Hew
Hybrid daily 1: Jaws of the Wolf
Hybrid utility 2: Invigorating Stride
Hybrid encounter 3: Disruptive Strike
Hybrid daily 5: Weapon of the Gods
Hybrid utility 6: Stream of Life
Hybrid encounter 7: Ruffling Sting
Hybrid daily 9: Attacks on the Run
Hybrid utility 10: Resume the Hunt
Hybrid encounter 13: Off-Hand Diversion (replaces Ruffling Sting)
Hybrid daily 15: Blade Cascade (replaces Jaws of the Wolf)

ITEMS
Magic Double sword +4, Magic Inix Shell Armor +4, Amulet of Protection +3
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

I really appreciate the help and I really like this build! Thank you a lot!
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green

For Ranger PPs, Blade Dancer is a decent option. 

Double Sword is a good weapon choice if you're using LFR item rules, or your DM is stingy with the loot. 

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

What does LFR item rules mean? To me it read "looking for raid" (I am a WoW player). Is the suggested build the person provided inferior for some reason? Also remember for now we are level 3.
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green

LFR = Living Forgotten Realms.  You can read about the loot rules here, pg 9&10.

What does LFR item rules mean? To me it read "looking for raid" (I am a WoW player). Is the suggested build the person provided inferior for some reason? Also remember for now we are level 3.

Living Forgotten Realms.
Well since my DM has never heard of this before we are for sure not running with that.
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green

For a low-level Heroic Ranger|Cleric race, you can't get much better than Mul. Go Strength, choose Dwarf heritage, and take Dwarven Weapon Training for proficiency and +2 damage with all axes. Use a Waraxe and a Gauntlet Axe for 1d12 +2 main hand, 1d8 + 2 offhand, and an extra point of AC from Defensive. Your Will is a bit low, but the Mul racial can help if you find yourself dazed.

Grab Elemental Initiate as your theme, and you can use a Ki Focus's enhancement bonus for both weapons, meaning you only have to enchant one item. It also gives you a synergistic out of turn attack - when an enemy misses you (20 base AC), hit it back for 1d12 +2, slide it, and gain Combat Advantage against it for an extra +2 to hit when you Twin Strike it next turn.

Jaws of the Wolf as the daily gives you a decent chance to remove a standard from the board if you roll well.

Encounter powers are where it gets a bit tricky - the simple way to do it would be to take Mighty Hew as your Cleric power at E1 for another reaction, then Ruffling Sting at 3 to give you a minor action attack.

The trickier method is to take Hybrid Talent: Channel Divinity as your second feat, and take an attack power as your Channel Divinity (I'd have to check, but you might even be able to take Punish the Profane for this, which would mean it isn't a total wash). By RAW, this means you have a Cleric Encounter attack power, and can therefore take Ranger powers for both E1 and E3, giving you an extra minor action attack.
So... something like this, though I'm sure some CharOp vets can refine it. Note that a Fire/Stormsoul Genasi will pull ahead in later levels, due to its ability to add elemental damage and use a Firewind Blade. The Int boost even becomes helpful at L21, as it allows it to add Radiant damage with the Radiant One Epic Destiny.

level 3
Mul, Cleric/Ranger
Hybrid Cleric Option: Battle Cleric's Lore
Hybrid Ranger Option: Hybrid Ranger Reflex
Hybrid Talent Option: Channel Divinity (Hybrid Cleric)
Born of Two Races Option: Dwarf
Theme: Elemental Initiate

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 20, CON 13, DEX 10, INT 8, WIS 14, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 11, DEX 10, INT 8, WIS 14, CHA 10

AC: 20 Fort: 16 Ref: 12 Will: 14
HP: 42 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +11, Endurance +9, Nature +8, Perception +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Arcana +0, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +3, Heal +3, History +0, Insight +3, Intimidate +1, Religion +0, Stealth +1, Streetwise +3, Thievery +1

POWERS
Elemental Initiate Attack: Disciplined Counter
Mul Racial Power: Incredible Toughness
Cleric Utility: Healing Word
Hunter's Quarry Power: Hunter's Quarry
Cleric Attack: Punish the Profane
Cleric Attack 1: Righteous Brand
Ranger Attack 3: Ruffling Sting

FEATS
Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 2: Hybrid Talent (Channel Divinity)

Gives you two minor actions attacks, an at-will double attack, an immediate reaction attack, a status-discarding power, and two heals/encounter. Oh, and you can bash/immobilize a zombie :P

Alternatively, you can use a Double Axe for better off-hand damage, and free up your theme for something else. Ironwrought is always good, though if you find yourself needing extra mobility on your opening turn, you could take Sohei and then Sohei Advance as your E3 for a double-attack on a charge.

Anyway, take Axe Expertise or Ki Focus Expertise at level 4 to add accuracy/damage.  
I know 0 about optimization, I typically just use the guides for cookie cutter "good" builds and pick all the gold/skyblue powers..

I know you don't post all that often, but you're more regular on here than, say, Bajat.

I think it's about time you spend some time actually reading the handbooks, particularly the general combat optimization ones (they're in the Collection sticky), so that you can actually learn the methods of optimization and aren't just, as the saying goes, a caveman with a nuke.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Why is my AC and skills so much lower than yours? Also it wouldn't let me get a Ranger Encounter power 3. I had to get a cleric power and hammer of the Gods seemed ok to me if I can tell everyone "Hit this guy!" and if my warlord can give double attacks on him before it's my turn.

Edit: I can't figure out how to get Punish the Profane in the character builder..am I doing something wrong?

Alistar, level 3
Mul, Ranger/Cleric
Hybrid Ranger Option: Hybrid Ranger Reflex
Hybrid Cleric Option: Battle Cleric's Lore
Hybrid Talent Option: Channel Divinity (Hybrid Cleric)
Born of Two Races Option: Dwarf
Inherent Bonuses
Theme: Elemental Initiate

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 20, CON 13, DEX 10, INT 8, WIS 14, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 11, DEX 10, INT 8, WIS 14, CHA 10

AC: 21 Fort: 16 Ref: 12 Will: 14
HP: 42 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +11, Endurance +9, Nature +8, Perception +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Arcana +0, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +3, Heal +3, History +0, Insight +3, Intimidate +1, Religion +0, Stealth +1, Streetwise +3, Thievery +1

POWERS
Elemental Initiate Attack: Disciplined Counter
Mul Racial Power: Incredible Toughness
Hunter's Quarry  Power: Hunter's Quarry
Cleric Utility: Healing Word
Cleric Feature: Healer's Mercy
Cleric Attack 1: Righteous Brand
Cleric Attack 3: Hammer of the Gods

FEATS
Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 2: Hybrid Talent

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Waraxe x1
Gauntlet axe x1
Scale Armor x1
====== End ======

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green

The Character Builder doesn't always let you do things it should, and sometimes it lets you do things it shouldn't.

JoCa's suggestion of going with Elemental Initiate as a theme is something I'm currently playing with, with a plan to retrain to Ironwrought @L10. Like it so far. If you are not playing past Heroic, you could look into the Scout as well. If you know for sure you'll be playing past L16, Genasi Ranger|Cleric with Firewind Blades (Morninglord PP, Radiant One ED) will be great for DPR, as has been mentioned. 

Why is my AC and skills so much lower than yours? Also it wouldn't let me get a Ranger Encounter power 3. I had to get a cleric power and hammer of the Gods seemed ok to me if I can tell everyone "Hit this guy!" and if my warlord can give double attacks on him before it's my turn.

Edit: I can't figure out how to get Punish the Profane in the character builder..am I doing something wrong?

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />

AC/skills look the same for me.

By hybrid rules, you have to have an encounter attack power from each class before you can take a second one from the same class, which is why you're only seeing the (mostly bad) Cleric encounter powers as an option in the builder at level 3.

However, if you take Hybrid Talent for Channel Divinity, you can pick a Cleric encounter attack power from the channel divinity list. Instead of taking Healer's Mercy (which defeats the purpose of spending the feat), you can take Turn Undead. As per Dragon 400 (www.wizards.com/dnd/downloads/dragon/400...) you can replace Turn Undead with Punish the Profane, which isn't a big difference, but could at least actually hit for you as it triggers off Strength.  

Now, at level 2, you have Off-Hand Strike, which is a Ranger encounter attack, and Punish the Profane, which is a Cleric encounter attack. By RAW, this means that at level 3 you can take Ruffling Sting.

In order to make it work in the Character Builder (which won't always let you do things the game allows you to), at level 2, instead of selecting a Channel Divinity power (just leave that power box blank) click the orange homebrew button in the upper right corner, and add Punish the Profane. IIRC, the builder will now correctly let you choose Ruffling Sting (or another Ranger encounter) at level 3. 

Whew. Make sense? 

The Character Builder doesn't always let you do things it should, and sometimes it lets you do things it shouldn't.

JoCa's suggestion of going with Elemental Initiate as a theme is something I'm currently playing with, with a plan to retrain to Ironwrought @L10. Like it so far. If you are not playing past Heroic, you could look into the Scout as well. If you know for sure you'll be playing past L16, Genasi Ranger|Cleric with Firewind Blades (Morninglord PP, Radiant One ED) will be great for DPR, as has been mentioned. 

Well I know I can just refluff said Genasi into a giant hulking dude, and it would actually probably be all the better for it, however I sort of get stuck on art and the pictures begin to come alive to me so when I think of Mul's for some reason people like Kamahl, Pit Fighter come to mind. Minotaurs bring Alistar from League of Legends to mind.

I prefer to play really big, brawny, heavy hitting type of characters like Nightmare and Seigfried and Astraroth from Soul Calibur. Brutes and semi-tanks that attack slowly but when they hit they crush people.

That's the sort of "feel" I want from my character in this game. A minotaur or a huge Mul hammering people with mighty blows repeatedly. In order to keep that thematic "feel" in tact it makes more sense for me to play one of the bigger, brawnier races.

So up to the point I suppose something like a big Mul, Gnoll, Minotaur, Goliath can be optimized into a striker. I like the Ranger/Cleric build because you end up getting like 4 attacks in a row in one turn if you really go for it, which is awesome. I can just imagine instead of whatever flavor text it may have you pick an enemy up by the neck and hammer his head in with your giant fist 3 or 4 times in a row pounding him into dust.

The ranger fluff/cleric fluff may say something totally different but that is how I would roleplay it. In this way the race is very important to me that it remains intact. Genasi don't feel to me like big brawny brutes even though I guess technically they are the #1 striker race.

Most of the builds are cookie cutter skyblue+gold suggested powers in the class guides, so whatever Striker deals the most damage (Apparently it's the Ranger|Cleric) by itself is what I am looking for since there will probably not be much team synergy, just people waiting for their turn to roll dice.

However if i can play a really cool, inspiring, savage/brutal character that totally wrecks monsters they may start to get more serious about the game and want to read their character sheets and input more toward the group.

That is my goal here: To find the biggest brute class that hits the hardest possible so I can roleplay that to inspire my group to really dig into the game and not just play it like monopoly waiting to role the dice on their turn.

EDIT: We are going all the way as high as we can go. This is a long, long term campaign.
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green

AC/skills look the same for me.

By hybrid rules, you have to have an encounter attack power from each class before you can take a second one from the same class, which is why you're only seeing the (mostly bad) Cleric encounter powers as an option in the builder at level 3.

However, if you take Hybrid Talent for Channel Divinity, you can pick a Cleric encounter attack power from the channel divinity list. Instead of taking Healer's Mercy (which defeats the purpose of spending the feat), you can take Turn Undead. As per Dragon 400 (www.wizards.com/dnd/downloads/dragon/400...) you can replace Turn Undead with Punish the Profane, which isn't a big difference, but could at least actually hit for you as it triggers off Strength.  

Now, at level 2, you have Off-Hand Strike, which is a Ranger encounter attack, and Punish the Profane, which is a Cleric encounter attack. By RAW, this means that at level 3 you can take Ruffling Sting.

In order to make it work in the Character Builder (which won't always let you do things the game allows you to), at level 2, instead of selecting a Channel Divinity power (just leave that power box blank) click the orange homebrew button in the upper right corner, and add Punish the Profane. IIRC, the builder will now correctly let you choose Ruffling Sting (or another Ranger encounter) at level 3. 

Whew. Make sense? 

Makes sense to me, thanks for all the help I will go implement these changes right now c:

I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green

Yeah, the Ironwrought level 10 feature is pretty phenomenal for a multi-attacking striker. +1 to hit during nova rounds? Sheesh

The Elemental Initiate progression works nicely with the build, too, as you're skill-starved and can use the +1 Will at 10. But yeah, if you can afford two weapons, or use a single weapon, or grab ki focus proficiency elsewhere, it's somewhat underwhelming in comparison.
Refluff your Genasi into a Minotaur that's so pissed that he's constantly (and literally) burning with unstoppable rage. 

Note that Genasi only becomes the superior choice once you can take Shocking Flame, meaning at Paragon. Earlier, human is better due to Heroic Effort + the extra feat.
Refluff your Genasi into a Minotaur that's so pissed that he's constantly (and literally) burning with unstoppable rage. 

Note that Genasi only becomes the superior choice once you can take Shocking Flame, meaning at Paragon. Earlier, human is better due to Heroic Effort + the extra feat. 

Hmm...

However the issue with Genasi is it undoes the Dwarven Weapon proficiency and the ability to shrug off status effect and the other bonsues the Mul brings which allows me to use the Waraxe and the Gauntlet Axe for MH/OH weapons. It completely changes the build.
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green

Genasi with Shocking Flame would match up with Kamahl's fire powers ;)

Personally, I prefer to picture two-weapon strikers as River Tam.

I'd also like you to note that "the striker who deals the most damage possible" is not a build you should ever play, simply for the fact that the top builds are simply way too powerful (and not necessarily rangers).

Seeing how the rest of your group isn't high OP, you should definitely avoid the top builds. Optimisation is only fun if everyone does it. I don't think you'd particularly enjoy it if you show up with your new ranger build and someone else at the table goes "I nuke all the enemies with my Dragonbreath on turn one" and your DM nods and goes "Well done, they all die" with the rest of the party, including you, having done nothing.
I'd also like you to note that "the striker who deals the most damage possible" is not a build you should ever play, simply for the fact that the top builds are simply way too powerful (and not necessarily rangers).

Seeing how the rest of your group isn't high OP, you should definitely avoid the top builds. Optimisation is only fun if everyone does it. I don't think you'd particularly enjoy it if you show up with your new ranger build and someone else at the table goes "I nuke all the enemies with my Dragonbreath on turn one" and your DM nods and goes "Well done, they all die" with the rest of the party having done nothing.

Well the issue is without it we won't have enough damage because technically we don't have a striker. I have to be "All the damage" and two of the players want to play characters that "do nothing."

Last session one guy played a Cavalier and had no concept of being the guy out front, he never read his character sheet or knew what a defender was. He just played an incredibly lazy person that would occaisionally saunter up to people and hit them. No marks were applied, no class features beyond basically "melee basic attack" were used.

The other guy played a lazylord that didn't even know he had a heal. Needless to say we nearly party wiped multiple times due to people sort of not caring and wanting to play really lazy/worthless characters.

Needless to say I think people might be totally okay if I show up with your new ranger build at the table and go "I nuke all the enemies with my Dragonbreath on turn one" and your DM nods and goes "Well done, they all die" with the rest of the party having done nothing.

I had a discussion with these players and one of them is changing a character he will hopefully be invested in (A Bugbear Knight) that wants to do the right thing and stand for justice but is slightly too stupid to. Hopefully by giving him the character he himself invented he will be more inclined to read what it does and actually do it (Be a defender).

The other guy I basically made into a healbot cleric. He has, and never will have, [W] powers, only implement powers that let him stand in the back and buff/heal people. That's all he really wants to do. He's more into character developement and roleplaying than caring about how much damage he can do. This is a good fit for him, he remains useful by keeping us alive but doesn't have to do much beyond that.
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green

Needless to say I think people might be totally okay if I show up with your new ranger build and someone else at the table goes "I nuke all the enemies with my Dragonbreath on turn one" and your DM nods and goes "Well done, they all die" with the rest of the party having done nothing.

I don't think you understood what you just said.