Alternative Sealed Builds [Why you M8s should be giving Magic your $$$ for more Sealed Slots]

309 posts / 0 new
Last post
1. If I felt like it, I have enough sign in blood and bloodhunter bats in one build to make a just okay mono black with 3 copies of the staff.  I could see that being kind of okay.

2. How does this look (after only 1 pack opened):

9 swamp
forest

1 primordial hydra
1 briarpack alpha
3 hunt the weak
4 yavimaya wurm

2 hypnotic specter
2 vampire nighthawk
2 giant scorpion
2 murder
1 gravedigger
1 diabolic tutor
2 rotting legion
1 rune-scarred demon

Is that a new deck? Where is the protean hydra and deadly recluse?

You are running too much land and I would drop 2 of the worm for something else... With these you can build a great middle gamee deck and just have a few bombs like he RSD....

2 hypnotic specter
2 vampire nighthawk
In order, I decided to buy 10 slots for the @#$%s and giggles, the other 3 colors were pure bs so far, and I don't have enough mid or early game yet in black or green other than that 1/1 unblockable.

2 + 2 = fish

For some reason or another, the only things I ever get in large numbers under 3cmc are the 1/1 flying white owl and the 1/1 unblockable soul thing.

2 + 2 = fish

Suntail Hawk and Tormented Soul, respectively. 
In order, I decided to buy 10 slots for the @#$%s and giggles, the other 3 colors were pure bs so far, and I don't have enough mid or early game yet in black or green other than that 1/1 unblockable.

List the black and green sideboard...
After experimenting with Xathrid build, I've come to the conclusion that it's not as tough as I had initially assumed. I'll be posting a few of my 20 slot builds here for critique and honestly constructive criticism shortly.
Black cards not included are:
3 tormented soul
3 distress
2 sign in blood
2 minotaur abomination
1 public execution

green cards not included are:
1 fog
1 giant growth
2 plummet
1 brindle boar
1 enlarge            

2 + 2 = fish

If at all possible, please do attempt to work in the following in the listed order of importance:

1. 1 public execution

2. 3 distress

3. 3 tormented soul

4. 2 sign in blood

K.  Random Question, did you ever get multiple copies of a mythic rare and get pissed off because you did not have the cards to run it?  I have 2 angelic arbiter in a pool with only 6 white.  That really sucks.

2 + 2 = fish

Just don't run the Diabolic Revelation! I've only seen a few people use it and I normally win the turn after they play it.

I'm guessing your opponents either didn't know what they were doing or didn't have the right deck for that card. I have it in two of my builds (and three of my pools) and the Diabolic Revelation has always been a hero for me. Like with any card, it's about knowing when and how to use it.
Black cards not included are:
3 tormented soul
3 distress
2 sign in blood
2 minotaur abomination
1 public execution

green cards not included are:
1 fog
1 giant growth
2 plummet
1 brindle boar
1 enlarge            

I'd put in the enlage personally, works best with a unicorn but you don't have one...

Turn 4 unicorn, turn 5 enlarge basically wipes your opponents board clean... 
I have such a dilemma with my first build after its all unlocked.......Picture this...

Hexboots, Rune Scare Demon, Windreader Sphink, Switcharoo, Clone, Rise from the Grave, Vampire Nighthawk, 3x some unsummon, archaemancer, fog bank, sleep, couple scroll thiefs, frost chill, essence scatter, public execution,.....that could make a pretty nasty U/B build right there.... BUT BUT BUT BUT

I have 2x Destructive Force, 3x Tectonic Rift, 1x Acidic Slime.....just missing the kite shield...I have 3x deadly recluse for defense and and an overwhelming stampde for finishing...

So, UB beast deck or novelty but oh so nice Land Smashing build?      Red has four shocks, an earthquakwe and a fireservant too...
Both. Alternate.
Both. Alternate.

I am going to stick with the land smashing, U/B decks are a dime a dozen in this game, even though I have two very nasty 7 drops with a hex boots in that one...first land smashing game would have gone fine if I drew one of mydestructive forces in 20 cards....turn 3 scroll thief, turn four spirit mantle by my opponent killed me...still made it to turn 11 or 12 or so...just needed that one card to basically win....I had so much land and he was down to four...from the rifts...

If I had 3x destructive force instead of 2 and a kite shield  and another rampant growth this could be a Tier 1 deck...

Played the same guy again, turn 4 tectonic rift/turn 5 acidic slime and here comes the AI LOL

Edited: actually, I had a rampant growth...turn 3 tectonic rift, turn 4 slime LOL 
Just don't run the Diabolic Revelation! I've only seen a few people use it and I normally win the turn after they play it.

I'm guessing your opponents either didn't know what they were doing or didn't have the right deck for that card. I have it in two of my builds (and three of my pools) and the Diabolic Revelation has always been a hero for me. Like with any card, it's about knowing when and how to use it.

You use it in your Door builds, if I'm not mistaken.
1. If I felt like it, I have enough sign in blood and bloodhunter bats in one build to make a just okay mono black with 3 copies of the staff.  I could see that being kind of okay.

9 swamp
forest

1 primordial hydra
1 briarpack alpha
3 hunt the weak
4 yavimaya wurm

2 hypnotic specter
2 vampire nighthawk
2 giant scorpion
2 murder
1 gravedigger
1 diabolic tutor
2 rotting legion
1 rune-scarred demon

Looks good but too many 6+ cards... is there no sign in bloods or distress' or black knights?  take two wurms and a land out and add a few of those if there is any.
Sheesh, I saw "108 new posts" and immediately thought, "great, who's having an argument?".  And yet here I am at the end, and no fights!

You guys are bucking the trend for this board..
Also, 4 Master of Diversion makes for a sick rush build.  I had a pool with 5 and some other stuff, and it ran pretty damn well.. unfortunately that ended up being a B/U hexproof enchantment build that's just aces, so I can't use the other build.
You use it in your Door builds, if I'm not mistaken.

You're bang-on. My door build wouldn't work without the Diabolic Revelation. I also have an interesting little U/B deck with the Diabolic Revelation, Diabolic Tutor and a Rune-Scarred Demon. Throw in some card draw with Mind Spring and a couple Divinations, and I tend to get what I want. And if anything gets discarded, I've got two Gravediggers and three Archaeomancers. It's a neat deck.

Also, know what's fun? when you have a trouble slot that just won't work for you. You try, you try, you try, but nothing works. Then you decide to get a little crazy and try something different, when bam! Consistency. Suddenly, every game is going as planned and you're loving every minute of it. That's fun.
I see people complaining they have yet to see a copy of a certain Mythic Rare in all their pools. Well, I haven't gotten a single Swiftfoot Boots in my 10 pools!

I should buy more slots for more fun... 
Nimnams, you are going to hate me...I just drew a second door to nothingness in a single pool....LOLOL

Have a diabolic revelations to go with it and a mind spring, 2x rampant growth and 1 teramorphic, 1x divinity, 1x glimpse but no archaeomancers.

Thinking 20x land (4 of each) 1 tera and 2x rampant growth, 2x door, 1x mind spring, divination 1x diabolic revelations....the rest weenie stall, roc eggs, pacifism, 3x safe passage, 1x fog, 1x recluse, etc... I still have a booster to go but I am thinking with a pinch more draw this deck can land turn 10ishwins...
Whoa. That's a pretty sweet DtN pool. Sounds a lot like the one I run, only I've just got the one Door.

Once you have it up and running, we should have a Door vs. Door showdown. Who gets their door going first wins!
i have 2 slots and use 2 decks...Should I buy one more? With the expansion coming soon, I want to buy that even though this slot is $1.99 and i love sealed...Just wish they gave more cards during expansion.

i have 2 slots and use 2 decks...Should I buy one more? With the expansion coming soon, I want to buy that even though this slot is $1.99 and i love sealed...Just wish they gave more cards during expansion.

Ask yourself. Can you spare the $2, are you going to have fun with it?
add me on steam =) highzenborg

9 swamp
forest

1 primordial hydra
1 briarpack alpha
3 hunt the weak
4 yavimaya wurm

2 hypnotic specter
2 vampire nighthawk
2 giant scorpion
2 murder
1 gravedigger
1 diabolic tutor
2 rotting legion
1 rune-scarred demon

Too many high casting cost dudes, you will need to replace the legions and/or a couple wurms for something cheaper. 

add me on steam =) highzenborg
Have you guys had success with a door deck with no DoJ or at least an earthquake?  I tried a door deck in this slot but nothing to clear the board kind of sucks.

3 terrmorphics
1 exliir
2 deadly recluse
2 pacify
2 rampant growth
2 roc egg
1 giant scorpion
1 brindle
1 frost breath
1 solemn offering
3 divinations
1 assassination
1 gravedigger
1 briarpack alpha
1 mark of the vampire
1 diabolic tutor
1 door to nothingness
1 diabolic revelations
1 rise from the grave
2 aegis angels

im at 44 cards and 19 lands so i need to take a few things out 

and other possible cards i could sub in for something: fog, condemn, stave off, essence scatter. void stalker, 2 unsummons 
yeah ill probably get 1 more slot to make it 3
I-JUKE-U, your Door build seems extremely creature heavy. If I were you, I'd work in all the other cards you mentioned and cut things like the Briarpack Alpha, the Rise from the Grave, the Mark of the Vampire, probably even the Aegis Angels. Your focus isn't so much about building a solid board presence as it is about delaying your opponent until you can pop the DtN. Anything that isn't working with that strategy is working against it.
I-JUKE-U, your Door build seems extremely creature heavy. If I were you, I'd work in all the other cards you mentioned and cut things like the Briarpack Alpha, the Rise from the Grave, the Mark of the Vampire, probably even the Aegis Angels. Your focus isn't so much about building a solid board presence as it is about delaying your opponent until you can pop the DtN. Anything that isn't working with that strategy is working against it.

yea just not really sure theres enough control to go the no creature route.. no DoJ, only 1 frost breath... ill give it a try though, thanks.
I don't have a DoJ in my Door deck, either. Don't have Frost Breath, either.

If you're curious, here's a video of my door deck in action. It'll give you a good idea of how I use what I've got.

9 swamp
forest

1 primordial hydra
1 briarpack alpha
3 hunt the weak
4 yavimaya wurm

2 hypnotic specter
2 vampire nighthawk
2 giant scorpion
2 murder
1 gravedigger
1 diabolic tutor
2 rotting legion
1 rune-scarred demon

Too many high casting cost dudes, you will need to replace the legions and/or a couple wurms for something cheaper. 

Please read the last posts before responding to this, I have nothing else pretty much to put in right now except expensive pump.

2 + 2 = fish

If you're curious, here's a video of my door deck in action. It'll give you a good idea of how I use what I've got.

yea the mind spring, earthquake, 3x fogs, 2x safe passages, 2x archeomancers kind of make up for that lol.. i only have 1 fog, 2 archeo.
I have 2 DoJ and a door in the same slot, but the door build just wasn't working out.

I'm trying an Esper Reanimator build, but I don't think it'll end well, either.

yea the mind spring, earthquake, 3x fogs, 2x safe passages, 2x archeomancers kind of make up for that lol.. i only have 1 fog, 2 archeo.

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting you copy my build exactly. I was simply saying that aggressive creatures won't necessarily help out. You still have:

All of those creatures are great for stalling the game. Add to that your spells like:

[deck]
3 Terramorphic Expanse
2 Rampant Growth
2 Pacifism
1 Frost Breath
3 Divination
1 Assassinate
1 Diabolic Tutor
1 Diabolic Revelation
1 Fog
1 Condemn
1 Essence Scatter
1 Stave Off
2 Unsummon
[/deck]

All in all, you've got some pretty good pieces for a DtN deck. The wins won't ever be fast, and DtN decks are rarely gonna net anyone more than a 50% win rate, but if you're down with playing that sort of style, I think you'll find it to be quite fun.
I pretty much made it a door deck by default as the pool sucked and it was the first time ive gotten the door + revelations combo.  Ill keep it a door deck but probably wont play with it a whole lot as there just isnt enough control/stall to be a top tier one like yours, which looks like you got almost the perfect setup.  Those extra stalls you have make all the difference in the world.

2 + 2 = fish

Looks pretty solid to me. Really nice curve. Have you tried it out online?

By the by, Stave Off is an amazing and underrated card. You might want to consider dropping a couple of the Pillarfield Oxes for them.
Looks pretty solid to me. Really nice curve. Have you tried it out online?

By the by, Stave Off is an amazing and underrated card. You might want to consider dropping a couple of the Pillarfield Oxes for them.

I still have to beat 4 more ai to get the other 2 packs, and stave off not as good against them as ox.

2 + 2 = fish

I am working on a second one at the same time, and I also need another 2 packs for it.  How does this look:

7 plains
7 swamp 

4 terramorphic expanse
1 brittle effigy 

2 tormented soul
1 giant scorpion
3 murder
1 mark of the vampire
1 diabolic tutor
1 sengir vampire
2 rotting legion
1 xathrid demon

1 sentinel sliver
1 spirit mantle
1 fiend hunter
1 master of diversion
3 charging griffin
1 angelic destiny
1 dawnstrike paladin

BTW: LoLoLoL  I have 3 rampant growth and 4 terramorphic expanse and 2 more packs to go....  

2 + 2 = fish

4 terramorphic is too much for a 2-color sealed deck. The fixing isn't worth the tempo loss.

You have enough cards that require two specific colored mana in their cost to warrant maybe 2.