Monk Dragon's Tail vs Dwarven Stand Your Ground

10 posts / 0 new
Last post

The issue that has popped up is:

The move element of Dragon's Tail is:

• Move : Swap places with target

Dwarves have Stand your Ground:

• Stand Your Ground: When an effect forces you to move — through a pull, a push, or a slide — you can move 1 square less than the effect specifies. This means an effect that normally pulls, pushes, or slides a target 1 square does not force you to move unless you want to.

Is SYG a defense against Dragon's Tail?

Edit:  Oops, this should be in Q&A, I think.

It's too soon for SYG jokes, isn't it?

Anyway, Dragon's Tail doesn't specify a number of squares, so SYG is no defense.

Except in Florida.

(Sorry.)

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

It's too soon for SYG jokes, isn't it?

Anyway, Dragon's Tail doesn't specify a number of squares, so SYG is no defense.

Except in Florida.

(Sorry.)

That joke is as lame as FDR's legs.
Too soon? 
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
Too soon? 

I think 68 years is long enough. ;)

"Swap places with your target" isn't a pull, a push, or slide.
"Swap places with your target" isn't a pull, a push, or slide.

It is, actually. RC page 211:
Slide: Sliding a target can move it in any direction. Sometimes a creature can swap places with a target. Doing so is a special kind of slide; the creature slides the target into its space and then shifts so that its space includes at least 1 square that the target just left.

The only reason SYG does not apply is, as I said, Dragon's Tail (via the above rule on swapping places) doesn't specify a number of squares, only a destination.

Oh, huh, look at that. Is that changed from the PHB, or have I been making an idiot out of myself all this time?

You're right on the other point, too, of course. If it was, "slide to an square adjacent to you," or some such, I agree SYG wouldn't be able to apply.

EDIT: Looked it up in PHB. It's worded different, but it's the same concept. And now I know. Thank you.
And knowing is half the battle.

The other half is to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women. 
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.

The other half is to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women. 

And then selling the movie rights...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Are you asking this for a Dwarf Monk using the power himself?

If you're asking in regards to an ally using it...

This means an effect that normally pulls, pushes, or slides a target 1 square does not force you to move unless you want to.

Generally you can always choose to allow something to happen to you if you have the choice that is (such as a dwarf ignoring 1 sq of forced movement, or not even making the save to avoid falling prone.)
Sign In to post comments