Dragon's Eye View: Transmedia Experience

Transmedia might be a buzzword, but the concept and implementation of it is valid and requires work—work that Jon will share with you by focusing on Drizzt.

Is anyone seeing the thumbnails?  I have everything enabled in my NoScript, but I've got bupkis except the article.

And I must admit...never heard transmedia before, although the concept itself is old.

"Lightning...it flashes bright, then fades away.  It can't protect, it can only destroy."

Transmedia might be a buzzword, but the concept and implementation of it is valid and requires work—work that Jon will share with you by focusing on Drizzt.

Is anyone seeing the thumbnails?  I have everything enabled in my NoScript, but I've got bupkis except the article.

I'm not seeing any thumbnails, either, and I'm not sure why.

My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
Are there supposed to be images with the article? - because they aren't there.

Going off-model may be bad, but a character who never changes his or her hairstyle or even clothes is well within the actual definition of "cartoony".

On the topic of "transmedia" Hasbro needs to figure out where Mark Evanier has been hiding, and resurrect the 80's D&D cartoon.
transmedia is not going to help the brand much in my opinion, sure the fanboys for a specific character may buy 13 diffrent drow items but the majority of people can get drow minis cheaper other places and could care less about a tshirt. they want a good playable product and a strong affordable mini line to go with it. i think if wotc wanted to make money and their fans happy release mini box sets that go along with adventures so you get a set of what you need. if they use reaper bones type plastic its cheap and looks great painted. so in summary i could care less if i have underwear, shirts, mugs or hats with dnd on them. i want minis and game books and adventures that is all.

On the topic of "transmedia" Hasbro needs to figure out where Mark Evanier has been hiding, and resurrect the 80's D&D cartoon.

A D&D cartoon would be nice or even a D&D anime. 

The real question is what it going to be about?

How many people learned about DnD from the cartoon?  How many from the comics?  Transmedia, when done correctly, works, and DnD has always sat on the cusp of a major media empire a la Marvel.  If there was ever a time to push it, it's now.
I see its value as long as this is not conducted at the expense of the main product, the game. I'll be honest, I'm not all that interested in the board games or video games; that's just me, and I'm not saying to drop these items. But, I would be interested in a better line of t-shirts, TV Series, decent minis (or at least allowing for the old Partha ones to be made again), etc. There's a benefit to this, certainly. But the lack of product for the actual game right now doesn't help.

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

http://radiofreeborderlands.libsyn.com/

R.A. Salvatore's bad boy of the drow race

Surely Drzzzt is a Good Boy 
Drizzt or forgotten realms is to specific to reach a broad audience (for D&D players or new ones). The simple fact is traditionally D&D has supported multiple realms.

I am not an expert on transmedia, but my opinion is the focus should be on buzz (something new for everyone) and more generic to describe or demonstrate the D&D experience. So you can have iconic characters, but they should apply accross multiple settings. So my idea is to illustrate the iconic characters and show them in different settings like forgotten realms, ebberon, dragonlance, dark sun, grey hawk, etc. You just change the iconic character based on the backdrop, so with one picture they are in the dark sun wasteland, or in another they are riding on dragons, or similar vistas. For those of us that understand the specific setting, we can have fun guessing which one it is. For others, the multiple vistas will demonstrate a players perspective on how D&D can handle different genres or settings. Hopefully the viewer identifies the iconic character as themselves or something they would enjoy playing.

Most likely, my viewpoints will demonstrate how I would fail at marketing the game, but at least I gave it a shot Cool
The article is not deployed properly and images are not displayed.

CustServ advised Ticket  [#130731-000108]  

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Helps when your stuff works. 

Fear is the Mind Killer

Pics, or it didn't happen.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

The article is not deployed properly and images are not displayed.

CustServ advised Ticket  [#130731-000108]  

How many times is it now that the art column hasn't had any frelling ART in it?  Both on purpose and by accident.

This is just irritating.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
And people wonder why expectations are sometimes hit or miss...
I have an answer for you, it may even be the truth.
One time too many. Somebody from the Web Development team should watch it at 9 PM PT when it goes live to make sure it is deployed properly and fix it if need be. This column constantly has problems.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Gygax never had problems posting stuff online in the 80's (ducks).

Fear is the Mind Killer

That is because it was a series of tubes, powered by steam. Much more durable.
Yeah, but when the server blew up there was a bodycount.
A D&D cartoon would be nice or even a D&D anime

They made one.  It was/is wildly popular.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

And don't forget Record of the Lodoss War.

And don't forget Record of the Lodoss War.

Lodoss War was a pretty great D&D anime as well, but it was nowhere near as prolific as Slayers still is.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Sign In to post comments