Healing and tanking

Me and my friends have been playing DND Next for just a few weeks now. We are level two with our characters and I have just a few thoughts.

I have been playing a Druid of the Oak, my girlfriend has been playing a Paladin.

Keep in mind this is thoughts on low level, perhaps it changes in higher levels, but I still have my concerns (and please no responses about just sticking it out or something silly like that, cause a game should not feel like a chore for several hours before it is fun)

As a healer I feel fairly useless, I have Spare the Dying, Guidance, Resistance, Shillelagh and Fire Seed (and possibly one more cantrip, I don't have my character sheet on me at the moment), for my level one spells I have entangle, and the two heals prepared. I constantly keep a healthy distance and lob fire seeds (or as I describe them flaming f'n acorns) and if someone goes down I run in to rez them. Four times over the course of a day I actually can heal, and since a day is clearly more than one fight I try to save that for when someone really needs it. I don't like the venetian system, my good fun spells only being usable 4 times per day and being stuck with really weak cantrips otherwise makes me feel useless, and no one in my group is dying (so I am not failing to heal or anything), my DM is using pre-made content (and he is not being overly generous with attacking the tank only or anything, he has even gone after our mage a few times). I just feel like if I were another wizard with the healing initiate feat I would at the least contribute dps, and I could go to a shop and buy healing pots and distribute them to the group or something.

As for tanking, I liked marks in 4e, in 5e tanking is a lot more RP, which isn't bad, it's the fact that as a player when there is no mechanic which clearly shows that you are successfully tanking it feels a lot more like the DM is allowing you to tank (which frankly was the case in 4e too, but the illusion was better, when it actually feels like you made the DM attack you with certain mobs you feel like your are tanking). Perhaps my issue is more with interposing shield, perhaps if she took taunt or Hold the Line she would feel more like she was tanking, but than they should change the suggestion in the defender package cause interposing shield really doesn't make you feel like a bad ass tank. And having only 1 reaction as a tank, considering that is how you tank, makes for a weak feeling tank. Either encounters are 1 clearly stronger mob the tank must tank every time, or if you don't control more than one, than you are tanking as much as every other player in the team is.

Those are my thoughts on the two jobs so far, and if Druid of the Oak is not intended as a healer, what is it's intended purpose?
Honestly as a healer (or any other caster) if the venetian system was per encounter, and encounters were longer (5e has quicker turns, fights can be designed with the intention of being longer), than we could use our good spells more frequently, and feel more useful.
I think the goal is to have a combat encounter last no more than 30 seconds (5 rounds). At low levels, you simply can't survive many encounters, although the short rest rule helps--you know you get back one spell, along with the HP, right?

You're playing a druid, which is a combination fighter/healer/caster. Because you can do 3 things, that means that there are compromises; you can't fight as good as a fighter or barbarian, you can't heal as much as a cleric, and you can't cast as much as a wizard. Otherwise, why would anyone choose one of those classes? Your class has to be balanced, or everyone would play a druid.

You're not a cleric, so you can't expect to heal as much as one. 

A druid is not a tank; with 1d8 hit points, you're simply not tough enough. Your job is to slow down and harass from a distance. Fighter/Paladin/Ranger/Barbarian are tanks, with 1d10 or 1d12 HP per level. If you were a Moon druid you'd get some decent wildshapes, but you're an Oak Druid--a caster first, and shapeshifter second.

Druid Pros:
You have more hitpoints than a wizard or rogue.
More healing than a fighter, rogue, or wizard.
More spells than a fighter or rogue. 
More damage spells than a cleric, fighter, or rogue.  
You're 2nd level?

You get Entangle for free, plus three spells. Might I suggest:

Animal Friendship (seriously, read the description; you can charm a griffin)
Cure Wounds
Thunderwave

Of course, you only have to prepare cure wounds once and then can cast it 3 times, and one more time after a short rest. You did read the "casting a spell" 2nd paragraph, right? No need to "prepare two heals"; you just need to choose if a heal is more useful, or thunderwave.

for cantrips, you don't get "spare the dying" as an Oak druid; moon druids get that cantrip. It's not even a druid cantrip.
For tanking, I would suggest the interposing sheild feat, and the taunt feat. The first gives enemies disadvantage to attack people who aren't your tank and the second forces enemies to attack the tank.
The Oberoni fallacy only applies to broken rules, not rules you don't like. If a rule you don't like can be easily ignored, it should exist in the game for those who will enjoy it.
For tanking, I would suggest the interposing sheild feat, and the taunt feat. The first gives enemies disadvantage to attack people who aren't your tank and the second forces enemies to attack the tank.

But the paladin should be the tank, not the druid.
I think the goal is to have a combat encounter last no more than 30 seconds (5 rounds). At low levels, you simply can't survive many encounters, although the short rest rule helps--you know you get back one spell, along with the HP, right?

Can you tell me where in the rules it talks about getting a spell back after a short rest? I found the part about all the spell slots after a long rest (assumed, anyway), but I can't find the short rest rule. I'm just about to run my first Next adventure, and I want to make sure I get that right. Thanks!

Can you tell me where in the rules it talks about getting a spell back after a short rest? I found the part about all the spell slots after a long rest (assumed, anyway), but I can't find the short rest rule. I'm just about to run my first Next adventure, and I want to make sure I get that right. Thanks!

What I found was in the classes portion of the packet. It states that you regain all spells after a long rest, not a short rest. The resting section in How to Play talks about HP and Hit Dice replenishment during a 1-hour short rest. Nothing it noted about spells. Also, the Magic section of the DM Guidelines does not discuss regaining spells.

Was this different in an earlier version of the Playtest packet?

060713 packet.

Classes, Druid, Level 1: Circle Initiate, Circle of the Oak, Natures Prescience. Page 18

Classes, Wizard, Level1: Arcane Recovery. Page 48. Also the leveling chart on Page 45.

The other classes (and moon druids) do not have recovery. 

Sign In to post comments