1375DR Or Bust?

44 posts / 0 new
Last post

The Realms back in 1992 was one of the 1st D&D products I tried via the Eye of the Beholder videogame. I bought a bit of 2nd ed material for it even though one of the other guys was the Realms guy, another bought Darksun another one bought Ravenloft. After the high school group went their own way I bought more than a few Realms books during the 3rd ed era only stopping towards the end when quality  took a nosedive. Dragons of Faerun or Serpent Kingdoms would have been one of the last FR products I bought and the War of the Spider Queen series was the last novels I bought. With the destruction of the Realms via the spellplague+timejump I more or less bailed on FR.

Now they seem to be at it again with yet another RSE and the time line is going to be somewhere after 1479 DR. It looks like they are trying to retcon out the spell plague and minimising it impact but the date is still wrong and I'm just not that interested in future future FR. I can kind of see why the developers are doing it but even if I end up picking up D&DN I think I will pass on FR agian as the setting really died for me a few years back probably to the point that short of a reboot back to the grey box or retcon back to 1375 and picking up where 3.5 left it. I'm just not that interested. I am happy to play Mystara, Golarion, homebrew and Eberorn instead. 

The FR forums here are all but dead and it seems the new FR articles often get 0 comments which indicates that FR could be in a lot of trouble as the FR boards have never been this bad before.  Of course I am only 1 person but I'm just not interested in the sundering at all and I have not even played FR since 2008 or so. I'm not even reading Greenwoods new articles. 

Greenwood and RAS have inherited a crappy situation and I have also looked towards Eric L Boyd as well for FR lore more than RA except when it comes to things like Drow. The main appeal of FR to me was watching the story progress from say Powers and Pantheons Yuan Ti writeups in 2nd ed through to the Serpent Kingdoms book of Faiths and Avatars to the Lathendar subplot in 3rd ed through various books and the Amaunter heresy. Things like that appeal to me not the 1479 reboot or whatever they are going to try and do. 

Fear is the Mind Killer

I agree.  4e kind of killed the Realms.  I think it is stuid that, as far as the Realms are concerned, whenever there is a new edition they always turn to killing Mystra and the Weave to bring about the change.  I understand a need to advance the timeline a little, and I like some of the changes to geography and intrigues...but they could have gone about it a different way.

As it is, since I still like the Realms better than any other setting, I continue to play it but still play it with 3.5e rules and add only the setting changes as needed and only the ones I like
"As shepherds we shall be, for Thee my Lord for Thee. Power has descended forth from Thy hand that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. And we shall flow a river forth unto Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. Et nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti"
As for a re-boot...at this point I don't see how they do one with quality.  Either a return to 1375 DR or a skip a head to bring back a better ruleset would seem hokey to me. 
"As shepherds we shall be, for Thee my Lord for Thee. Power has descended forth from Thy hand that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. And we shall flow a river forth unto Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. Et nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti"
I was thinking 1375 DR or even back to 1357 or so and the original Realms and basicaly restart the franchise. I can kinda see why they're doing the sundering I just have 0 interest in it and it means my interest in FR will come to an end permanently. 

Fear is the Mind Killer

You can run the Realms, just don't use official cannon.  Go back to the last edition of the Realms that you liked, and start there.  Take it in your own direction and if you feel like it, sprinkle just the aspects of later editions that you like
they have already long ago stated that: they can't do a reboot because it would then invalidate the novels and what do you think the authors would think of that????

but the lets kill mystra mentality was a bad idea, the stupidly action of killling and or combining deities was a bad idea, the shoehorning of lore from the core books was a bad idea.
the 100+ year was a bad idea becuase it made the lore uselss,I actually saw a comment when someone asked a question about something and wanted to be canon as possible that stated the good thing about the timejump was that none of the old lore mattered so just make something up.

all the 4e realms did was: wedge the fanbase in two,  alienated one half and likely still didnt attract the other half.

so for 5e the current rumors are

that the tablets of fate might be coming  back

and if you look on the cover of the murder in baldur's gate, you will see the skull with the bloody tears of bhall on it.

so it gets moved forward 10 years. Mystra has already returned and in Ed's sundering novel, we finally get to know the answer to the 8000000 platinum piece question, as Which Mystra returned, and most of us are hoping that it is NOT Midnight.( and that book is not out yet) go read Elminster Enraged.

that many of the 4e trashed out deities mighnt be coming back is also rumored.

we might be getting a reset button, just no retcon of 4e and no going back to previous time thus a short time jump forward.

the community's most educated Realms lore educated members left, the community here died not long afte the onset, and it might not pick up again until after 5e, and if it doesnt the setting failed and the old addage will ring true" 4e killed the Realms".

so until we have a copy of the 5e setting, wait until you pass judgement.

and then if you don't like it you may pass judgement then.

a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
Well, if the Realms collapses in 5e, it'll probably be abandoned for a while, like Dark Sun.  Only then would it probably warrant a reboot.  But, I don't see this happening.  No reason you can't start a group project somewhere on the web to forge a better Realms.  Hell, I'd join in on that!

An undead spectre occasionally returning to remind the fandom of its grim existence.

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
short of a reboot back to the grey box or retcon back to 1375 and picking up where 3.5 left it. I'm just not that interested

Nothing wrong with that: plenty of 3.5 material. Still fwiw, Ed Greenwood's recent works (Elminster's Forgotten Realms, and his Forging the Realms articles) have technically been era neutral, but have mostly been geared towards 1375 campaigns.

But as long as we're using this board primarily as a complainground (continually, about the spellplague) ;):
I'm still upset that the Greyhawk setting was mostly ignored in favor of FR. To me, the Realms will always be the 'new child' that stripped attention from what was once the one true setting. Thanks for ruining my setting, Greenwood.

now now, we both know that we always blame the man in charge, which would be or would have been Chris Perkins.
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
they have already long ago stated that: they can't do a reboot because it would then invalidate the novels and what do you think the authors would think of that????

but the lets kill mystra mentality was a bad idea, the stupidly action of killling and or combining deities was a bad idea, the shoehorning of lore from the core books was a bad idea.
the 100+ year was a bad idea becuase it made the lore uselss,I actually saw a comment when someone asked a question about something and wanted to be canon as possible that stated the good thing about the timejump was that none of the old lore mattered so just make something up.

all the 4e realms did was: wedge the fanbase in two,  alienated one half and likely still didnt attract the other half.

so for 5e the current rumors are

that the tablets of fate might be coming  back

and if you look on the cover of the murder in baldur's gate, you will see the skull with the bloody tears of bhall on it.

so it gets moved forward 10 years. Mystra has already returned and in Ed's sundering novel, we finally get to know the answer to the 8000000 platinum piece question, as Which Mystra returned, and most of us are hoping that it is NOT Midnight.( and that book is not out yet) go read Elminster Enraged.

that many of the 4e trashed out deities mighnt be coming back is also rumored.

we might be getting a reset button, just no retcon of 4e and no going back to previous time thus a short time jump forward.

the community's most educated Realms lore educated members left, the community here died not long afte the onset, and it might not pick up again until after 5e, and if it doesnt the setting failed and the old addage will ring true" 4e killed the Realms".

so until we have a copy of the 5e setting, wait until you pass judgement.

and then if you don't like it you may pass judgement then.

Well perosnally I do not give a rats rear end about the sundering and attempts t fix the Realms when they could easily retcon the spellplague away via a dream of Savras or have a chosen of Savra short circuit Mystras murder or something like that.

Just not sure what is worse trying to maintain continuity for a fanbase who probably doesn't really want it (I could be in a minority though) or just suck it up and do a reboot perhaps ignoring the 3 people and their mothers who liked the FR changes.

1479DR doesn;'t interest me at all and I would prefer to see Greyhawk come back or Mystara, Eberron or anyhting apart from Kynn really. Not even interested in home games of FR even in a different toimelie as the players know what is gogint o happen to the world officially and any home brew timeline is really a version of sticking your fingers in your ears and going la la la la la la.

I might pick up D&DN depending on how it turns out but FR will be a no go and I will prefer Golarion or maybe some PDFs of Grewhawk or another world that was not trashed. Krynn was trashed by TSR in the 90's.

Fear is the Mind Killer

Well, if the Realms collapses in 5e, it'll probably be abandoned for a while, like Dark Sun.  Only then would it probably warrant a reboot.  But, I don't see this happening.  No reason you can't start a group project somewhere on the web to forge a better Realms.  Hell, I'd join in on that!

Maybe that is something that someone could pitch to Wizards....an 'alternate Realms.'   They can continue with their set Canon and an alternate canon can develop starting at whatever point you like.   Pay wizards anGreenwood royalties for borrowing the property.  And see where it goes
For now there is not much new to talk about. Don't worry, when the Realms is released, the FR Board will boom with people posting about all they love and or hating about the new Realms RSE. 

and I'd like to take the time to remind everyone:

they actually did release a good deal of the old material for resell as digicopies.

www.dndclassics.com/products_new.php?man...

For now there is not much new to talk about. Don't worry, when the Realms is released, the FR Board will boom with people posting about all they love and or hating about the new Realms RSE. 

The Companions by RAS actually comes out next week, so hopefully it provides us with a good first impression of what the Sundering means for FR (or for Icewind Dale and the Silver Marches, at least).

My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
I do hope taht its in paper back.......
The WoTC forums have always been a boom or bust forum.  The real action has always been on the Candlekeep forums.  Writers and designers frequent them very often.  So judging the health of the Realms based on these forums is a fools errand.
now now, we both know that we always blame the man in charge, which would be or would have been Chris Perkins.

Chris Perkins MUST be stopped!!!!

Blast from the past there...   

HAND OF KARSUS!

I do hope taht its in paper back.......

Taht ;) will be in about a year. Release in Hard then wait 10 to 12 months to release in soft . Profit... 

HAND OF KARSUS!

I could really careless about the 5e Realms. Give WotC 5 to 10 years and they will screw it up yet again. 

In 2008 I was saying give them time they will try to fix it. In Ed Greenwood & Brian R. James I trust. WotC "will fix the setting" and then WotC will screw it up again.

I am done with this rodeo. All of the Ed articles I will be using with my 1357 OGB.

Don't get me wrong, I will check out the 5E Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting/Guide. I might even buy it to support the setting. I don't trust WotC. Let a bunch of new people get hired, and watch what kind of bright ideas they have.

The Bright Idea Fairy will strike again...  

HAND OF KARSUS!

I could really careless about the 5e Realms. Give WotC 5 to 10 years and they will screw it up yet again. 

In 2008 I was saying give them time they will try to fix it. In Ed Greenwood & Brian R. James I trust. WotC "will fix the setting" and then WotC will screw it up again.

I am done with this rodeo. All of the Ed articles I will be using with my 1357 OGB.

Don't get me wrong, I will check out the 5E Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting/Guide. I might even buy it to support the setting. I don't trust WotC. Let a bunch of new people get hired, and watch what kind of bright ideas they have.

I Blame Cosmo
Sadly Delta, you're almost certainly correct in those assessments of yours.  Oh well, nothing says we can't just ignore whatever they do that we don't like and take it from there.

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

Exactly my point

I suspect you will be right. I suspect D&DN will not be for me either but I'm seeing how the next packet is shaping up. 

Fear is the Mind Killer

I might buy the setting book and maybe the fr character guide( if their is one) dnd next, not so sure on.
I like the fact that theyve been keeping the timeline moving foward, however, even I think the 100 year jump was a little (a lot) extreme. Having said that, I liked how they did the latest Menzoberranzan book where they gave details on 1300's and 1400's Realms, if they keep that up I think It'll be a win/win and make everybody happy.
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there

I Blame Cosmo

You mean Kramer!?

I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there

Maybe that is something that someone could pitch to Wizards....an 'alternate Realms.'   They can continue with their set Canon and an alternate canon can develop starting at whatever point you like.   Pay wizards anGreenwood royalties for borrowing the property.  And see where it goes

I'd happily pitch it to Wizards, if I had the cash.  My original pitch was a "Modular Realms", which seems to be the path things are going in (I think), perhaps have supplements for different eras and keep guides on cities/provinces year-agnostic.  Also, no reason why a community can't come together to build their own Realms without Wizards looking over our shoulders.  If they'd be cool with an alternate realms pitched by fans, sweet!  If not, whatever.

I've been doing that already with some fascinating alt-history (including Lantan's Blackmoor-esque "Temporal Engine."  Do I sense another Great Rain of Fire?)

An undead spectre occasionally returning to remind the fandom of its grim existence.

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!

I Blame Cosmo

You mean Kramer!?

No I blame DR. Phil

I'd happily pitch it to Wizards, if I had the cash.  My original pitch was a "Modular Realms", which seems to be the path things are going in (I think), perhaps have supplements for different eras and keep guides on cities/provinces year-agnostic.  Also, no reason why a community can't come together to build their own Realms without Wizards looking over our shoulders.  If they'd be cool with an alternate realms pitched by fans, sweet!  If not, whatever.

I've been doing that already with some fascinating alt-history (including Lantan's Blackmoor-esque "Temporal Engine."  Do I sense another Great Rain of Fire?)

I'd be very interested in contributing.  I would love to get into game design.  I wonder how many people would be interested in contributing content in such an event

I'd be very interested in contributing.  I would love to get into game design.  I wonder how many people would be interested in contributing content in such an event

That's the theme of the campaign I'm making.  It could end like Blackmoor, it might turn for the better.  In turns of a community built Realms, I'd be all over that!  I could contribute a bunch alone with the years of homebrew lore alone!  (Including a global war because we also like Eberron, Maztica and various factions of Faerun becoming allies and forming a new nation on an untraced island as a sign of peace, Lantan moving underwater/underground and becoming a BioShock inspired dystopia, and a rising movement against "mageocracy" leading to the overthrowing of Thay... and resulting in a Soviet Union like movement instead!)  Needless to say, most of the RSE that my group has run into were lead by social or political problems rather than deus ex machina...  Perhaps closer to the stories The Sundering hopes to achieve, before "The Sundering" was a thing (Well, the 5E version of The Sundering.)

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!

Wizards moderators....are you listening?  This would make you a lot of money.  YOu should hire us

That's the theme of the campaign I'm making.  It could end like Blackmoor, it might turn for the better.  In turns of a community built Realms, I'd be all over that!  I could contribute a bunch alone with the years of homebrew lore alone!  (Including a global war because we also like Eberron, Maztica and various factions of Faerun becoming allies and forming a new nation on an untraced island as a sign of peace, Lantan moving underwater/underground and becoming a BioShock inspired dystopia, and a rising movement against "mageocracy" leading to the overthrowing of Thay... and resulting in a Soviet Union like movement instead!)  Needless to say, most of the RSE that my group has run into were lead by social or political problems rather than deus ex machina...  Perhaps closer to the stories The Sundering hopes to achieve, before "The Sundering" was a thing (Well, the 5E version of The Sundering.)

4E killed a certain section of the FR fanbase.

It did not kill the Realms.

I've been running FR games since the Old Grey Box and I'm running 4E FR games now. Other than the shittiest map in the history of RPGs, the 4E Realms is a really good campaign world. In many ways there are more plot hooks than before because there is always setting the world back to the way it was before the Spellplague.

There are genuinely Epic quests (the capital E is deliberate) so restore Mystra, end the Netherese Empire and (for more evil parties) set Cyric free. And dungeons in the traditional sense? Just use any ruined settlement from before 4E.

Anyway, I'm not trying to persuade people to like the 4E Realms - that ship has long sailed - but this silly hyperbole that, somehow, 4E killed the Realms is simply hyperbole.

Cheers Imruphel aka Scrivener of Doom

Well, I loathed the inorganic nature of the changes during 4e, but I'm still sticking around for 5e.  And that certain section?  It was a massive section causing a fissure in FR fandom larger than the San Andres fault!  The fandom opened up for a while with new fans, but became short of a ghost town.  The changes just weren't popular with FR fans, and with good reason.  Changes were needed (by all means), but the way they handled it wasn't good.  Though, we're past this.  It's in the past, in and out of game.  We have other things to look into now.

Though, I can't complain too much about the past couple years.  After I abandoned the canon Realms, the group I played with created its own fanon (see above) and we've had a blast (while completely ignoring post-1372 DR's existence.)  But, I for one look forward to what's going on with The Sundering.  The Companions was enjoyable and I'm looking forward to the next book.  Plus, the Encounters events have been interesting so far as well.

That said, if 5E Realms isn't for me (and countless others), I want to start up the Community-generated Realms project!  Maybe here, maybe Candlekeep.  That way, we can forge our own take on the Realms to dabble with.

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!

and the first two things to go would be likely:

The Time of Troubles

The Spell Plague

sfdragon wrote:

and the first two things to go would be likely:

The Time of Troubles

The Spell Plague

Spell Plague I could understand (although not agree with), but cutting the ToT would be eliminating 92% of FR lifetime and the time when it gained most of it's fans.

That's like Ford going back to Ford Model T and ignoring all customers gained after that

Mirtek wrote:
Spell Plague I could understand (although not agree with), but cutting the ToT would be eliminating 92% of FR lifetime and the time when it gained most of it's fans.
fwiw: the public play community became a big deal in 4e, and it was almost all FR.

WotC allocated some significant marketing dollars to public play during 4e: first with LFR, then later with Encounters and Lair Assaults (which were mainly FR adventures). This public play effort had significant effects (direct and secondary) on the D&D community.

Note: this is intended only as information. I'm not saying that 4e *gained* a lot of FR fans (since most players were already familiar with the world), or that players liked the changes. I'm just saying that the 4e material now encompasses several hundred very thoroughly played adventures.

and I would like to point out that Ed Greenwood's home game states the TOT did not happen at their game.

that is just the TOT andn othing else after it afaik.

sfdragon wrote:
and I would like to point out that Ed Greenwood's home game states the TOT did not happen at their game.
Which is why I have no interest in Ed's home-realms and don't even consider them FR.

If Groening would reveal tomorrow that he has secret homebrew scripts of The Simpsons that were never shown and differed from the series after episode 3 with major characters never existing in this alternate version, I wouldn't consider it The Simpsons either. It wouldn't be what is known as The Simpsons since almost a quarter century

each to their own

Mirtek wrote:
Which is why I have no interest in Ed's home-realms and don't even consider them FR.
It's not canon FR, but it's certainly FR-based. If someone else ran a similar homegame, I wouldn't begrudge them referring to it as an FR campaign. I just expect DM's to deviate from canon to some degree. Especially to accommodate PC activity, which can/should be world-changing.

fwiw: Ed's group evidently doesn't really even use D&D rules (i.e. they go rule-less), yet even the D&D developers still refer to it as a D&D game. Our hobby is pretty inclusive.

I don't really care what Ed or anyone else does or doesn't do in their campaigns, that's strictly the business of the DM and players involved.  Having said that, I just started up a new Realms campaign and am utterly ignoring the ToT.  Now don't get me wrong, I like the ToT just fine, it's the era that introduced me to the Realms in the first place, but we just decided to try something new and utterly divorced from most 'canon' beyond the basics, and not even all of those.

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

Sign In to post comments