Re-post: Mono-Blue merfolk deck

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is a re-post of my mono merfolk deck. Just wanted to hear some updated feedback. This is my "signature" deck, if you will. I added in a detailed desciption of the deck, the deck list, and the deck stats. Enjoy!! 

Description

Name
: Merfolk Kingdom
Type: Aggro-Control
Colors:
Description: Command the crafty merfolk of the sea to fight for you as you flood the battlefield to tip the tides into your favor. The "Merfolk Kingdom" deck is pretty straight foward: cast your cheap merfolk creatures, make them bigger and Islandwalk your way to victory. This deck is made up mostly of merfolk lords who grant a +1/+1 bonus to other merfolk you control on top of additional effects. The key card in this deck is Aquitect's Will which turns a land your opponent controls into an island. This will allow Islandwalking to become that much easier! Despite being a mono deck, the "Merfolk Kingdom" deck is rather fast. If for whatever reason you make it to turn eight, cast Stormtide Leviathan to finish things off. Idealy this deck only requires four merfolk lords to be in play in order to deal a devestating 20 damage in that turn.

Stats

Average Mana Cost: 2.13
Mana Curve
: -
1: 9
2: 20
3: 8
4: -
5: -
6: -
7+: 1
Mana Symbols: (58 total
Lands: 22 (37%)
Creatures: 24 (40%)
Instants: 6 (10%)
Sorceries: 6 (10%)
Others: 2  (3%)
Price: $81.70
Main
: $71.22
Sideboard: $10.48

html_removed html_removed
html_removed
html_removed
What is your Budget? Do you have any Format or Legality restrictions?

Instead of Aquitect's Will, I'd consider Spreading Seas - for disruption purposes. 

Merrow Commerce seems underutilized without Merfolk which have a ability - Enclave Cryptologist and Merfolk Looter come to mind. 

I don't much like the Deprive here, as this deck necessitates a more aggressive playstyle than "draw-go". I'd consider rounding out the numbers of Ponder and Boomerang instead. I'd also consider cutting the Halimar Depths for more Island's - now that the Deprive trick is gone.

Your SB seems bad - Kraken's Eye? I'd read this and modify it.

How to autocard: 

Show

[*c]CardName[/*c] (remove the *'s) to autocard!

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

Remove the *'s to autodeck!

Delicious deck.. but I was sure surprised to see Stormtide Leviathan in there.
Delicious deck.. but I was sure surprised to see Stormtide Leviathan in there.

Yeah Stormtide Leviathan is really a "in case of late game emergency" card. I know a lot of people will hate on him with his high CMC but jeez let me throw something ridiculous in my deck lol.

Thank you for the complement, btw 
html_removed
html_removed
Aquitect's Will and Spreading Seas does the same thing in this situation: get me an Island on the opposing battlefield. Granted Spreading Seas gives a disruption of sorts but not by much. I'd rather play the spell than the spell with a very slight upside.

A lot of people don't like Merrow Commerce in here without understanding why I put it in here. Think of it as a near Vigilance thing. I attack with my pumped merfolk, they then untap at the end of my turn to block for me. Untap abilities would be great, sure, but you can use cards for other means than the obvious function I think

I like counterspells, they always come in handy if they cast a spell I dont like. Deprive is a good, cheap counter with the slight downside of returning an island to my hand. With this deck having such a low mana curve, this is no issue at all.

Ponder is good but I mean I also have the Halimar Depths to do the same deck fixing. Boomerang I may want to round up the numbers. As you mention Halimar Depths works well with Deprive which together I see and have had no issue with either.

To be honest don't really pay too much attention to my sideboard I RARELY ever use it. It's more for the sake of having one. I know Kraken's Eye is thought to be such a bad card and I rarely use it but c'mon gaining a life helps a bit? Yeah no... All in all I can easily change or even take out the sideboard. 
html_removed
html_removed
I think I might switch out Lord of Atlantis with 4x Inkfathom Infiltrator.
html_removed
html_removed
I think I might switch out Lord of Atlantis with 4x Inkfathom Infiltrator. html_removed html_removed

Don't do that. Lords + spreading seas is enough to grant unblockability.

Have you considered:
Aether Vial - mana acceleration + uncounterable creatures. Most of your creatures are 2 mana, so leave it on 2 and just go to town. If you get a 2nd, put it on 3 and you're covered.
Silvergill Adept - card draw + decent beats. Put him in with aether vial, or just reveal another merfolk.
Coralhelm Commander - decent 2 drop by himself, a Lord on top of all that. Flying adds another layer of evasion. 
Tidal Warrior/Reef Shaman/tideshaper mystic - helps with islandwalking without need for spreading seas etc. Also, just better 1 drops than merfolk of the pearl trident
Cursecatcher - if you need some early disruption, although I find he doesn't work too well in casual, or not backed up by additional taxing spells/mana denial (daze and wasteland)

Why not counterspell over deprive?

Also, I think you're running too many lands. A quick, efficient, aggro deck like this, which includes deck manipulation, you can probably get away with 20 lands.

"There are some who call me...Tim?" Go Duke! I apologize for my lack of grammar, spelling, and coherence in my posts. Former Member: Team ABS

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/

I think I might switch out Lord of Atlantis with 4x Inkfathom Infiltrator. html_removed html_removed

Don't do that. Lords + spreading seas is enough to grant unblockability.

Have you considered:
Aether Vial - mana acceleration + uncounterable creatures. Most of your creatures are 2 mana, so leave it on 2 and just go to town. If you get a 2nd, put it on 3 and you're covered.
Silvergill Adept - card draw + decent beats. Put him in with aether vial, or just reveal another merfolk.
Coralhelm Commander - decent 2 drop by himself, a Lord on top of all that. Flying adds another layer of evasion. 
Tidal Warrior/Reef Shaman/tideshaper mystic - helps with islandwalking without need for spreading seas etc. Also, just better 1 drops than merfolk of the pearl trident
Cursecatcher - if you need some early disruption, although I find he doesn't work too well in casual, or not backed up by additional taxing spells/mana denial (daze and wasteland)

Why not counterspell over deprive?

Also, I think you're running too many lands. A quick, efficient, aggro deck like this, which includes deck manipulation, you can probably get away with 20 lands.

I assure you I would love to have A LOT of those cards. I'm running a tight budget and as much as Aether Vial is amazing, it's just out of my budget. I might switch Merfolk of the Pearl Trident with something like Tideshaper Mystic, much better fit.

I also would get Counterspell but it's not allowed within my friday night group lol.

Are you sure about 20 lands!? I never run more than 24 or less than 22. I feel like 20 I would end up mana screwed. 
html_removed
html_removed
Well, maybe it's because I run Vial, but I run 20 land, 8 of them colorless, and have no problem.

If you bring the ponder up to 4, you should probably be ok running 20. You have twenty 2-drops. You should easily be able to drop 2 lands and use ponder to find another one.

Do you have access to daze, mental misstep, force spike, spell snare, or spell pierce? Good but meta dependent countermagic. Merfolk tends to like free countermagic because it wants to use its mana to cast creatures. Deprive isn't terrible, but if you can get free or 1-mana countermagic, it might be more effective. 

Everything else looks good though...leviathan aside...

P.S. did you always have Silvergill Adept in there? If so, I totally missed it before, which is why I suggested it. Good card. 

"There are some who call me...Tim?" Go Duke! I apologize for my lack of grammar, spelling, and coherence in my posts. Former Member: Team ABS

I agree with swaping Merfolk of the Pearl Trident for either Tidal Warrior or Tideshaper Mystic. Also I'd swap the Silvergill Adept for Cold-Eyed Selkie, it may cost 1 more but the Adept can get stuck in your hand and the Selkie will net you ALOT more cards.

DON'T DO THAT! Not only would it destroy the Deck Flavor-wise, but if you decide to cut any of your lords it should be Merfolk Sovereign which is by far the weakest Lord here.
I agree with swaping Merfolk of the Pearl Trident for either Tidal Warrior or Tideshaper Mystic. Also I'd swap the Silvergill Adept for Cold-Eyed Selkie, it may cost 1 more but the Adept can get stuck in your hand and the Selkie will net you ALOT more cards.

DON'T DO THAT! Not only would it destroy the Deck Flavor-wise, but if you decide to cut any of your lords it should be Merfolk Sovereign which is by far the weakest Lord here.

It just sucks when Lord of Atlantis helps my opponents who play merfolk (though rare). Otherwise I really wouldn't want to take him out.

I am going to switch out Merfolk of the Pearl Trident with Tideshaper Mystic just because it will come in handy if I don't get Aquitect's Will out in time. Also better one drop obviously lol 
html_removed
html_removed
Having trouble with the merfolk mirror? Try merfolk assassin.

Perfect