What has happened to the Casual Decks Forum?

51 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is talking to everyone who has been posting and commenting on this forum for a while now. 

I have been beginning to observe that the Casual Decks Forum is slowly turning into a Beginner Deck Help page. When I first began posting to this forum there were a couple of new players who posted there first decklists here every so often. However, I am now beginning to observe that there are more and more beginner players who are posting their decklists here and asking for help. Helping out a beginner learn how to make a deck is a kind thing to do and should be done but is not really what this forum page is for. 

I am not at all saying that the current state of the Casual Decks Forum is bad, I am just saying that it is not what I think it is intended to be. What do you guys think? Sorry if this is not making any sense to you guys. I am just trying to run some of my idead through. Thanks. 
Dude! Please Learn How to Autocard!
To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
Basics to Building a Solid Deck
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!
Don't take this the wrong way. This is in no way mean't to be hateful. I am just trying to get your opinon on the current state of the Casual Decks Forum.
To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!
I don't mind new player threads, it's those threads I enjoy more for whatever reason. Non-new players usually have something more gimmicky deck ideas in mind, the sort of ideas which doesn't strike me as fun personally. Well that's stereotyping but you get the idea.
@Rockshard, I see what you mean and I enjoy teaching new players to make decks. But don't you think this is not really the Forum new players should be going to to learn how to build decks? I just don't like it when I am looking for cool casual deck ideas people think of but I can only find a beginner decklist that obviously isn't that great and requires a lot of work. I don't know, that's just how I feel .
Well, there's the new/returning player forum up north, but I think new player decklists belong here more than anywhere else. The new/returning player forum is more for questions & discussion (although yeah, there are the occasional decklists), but if someone wants more attention and they don't intend to jump into serious competition, then this is where it'll happen.
IMAGE(http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/225/8/9/bloodgift_demon_sig_banner_by_voidelemental-d46gjhm.jpg)
well i post here to get help on decks that i have or am about to make. i really like getting other peoples opinions, and most of the time they show me cards that i never would have thought of.

i do feel bad sometimes as i think i make threads too much :\
Well I think you have a point that allot of new/returning players come to casual play section of the forums. I haven't been posting much here as I have in the past due to myself not really having the time to get on much really, so I'm not sure if there's much of a difference more "new players" here than before. But I can say that this is/always will be a place where new players can post their lists without the harsh/deconstructive/trolling criticism that can be found in other areas of the wizards forums. Take standard deck help for example. It should be a forum that all players can post decks that a standard legal and get help/discuss. However, if a new player posts a list on there that isn't tier worthy they will be shot down and ether A (not be helped) or B (told their list is crappy and their concept isn't tier 1-2 so they shouldn't continue with it). It's a sad truth that new players can't rely on that section of the forums for a deck that they just made and want t take to FNM with their friends.

The reason why I'm bringing up the standard deck help section as an example of why new players turn to the casual play section is because most new players get introduced to the game with what cards are available at a local card shop, walmart, ect... The packs/deckbuilders toolkits/event and precon decks are usually standard legal. MTG has always been promoting FNM more than other it's other event types. New players get roped into going to FNM, an event that at most card shops is standard constructed or draft with currently standard legal packs. New players essentially get told from the getgo that to have fun they need to use the most recent sets in order to play.

When they turn to the casual play section, I don't think it's a bad thing. It's what this section of the forums is for. It's for casual decks and this includes what a new player's deck contains. When a new player posts one of their first decks here, it needs allot of work. It's not competitive and this can be ether because the deck has allot of 1-2 ofs or maybe the entire concept really sucks/doesn't flow well. Whatever the case, a new players deck is usually casual standard constructed. It's a deck that doesn't really have a place to get much help from anywhere but here. I know that I've referred many players over the years to this section because their first deck posted in the modern or standard deck help was getting torn apart or ignored by those sections frequent posters. 

Here in the casual play section, many of the frequent posters are helpful and can offer good advice. There's more tolerance for new players here than anywhere else on the forums. Frequent posters like Vektor and Cats and Me are great help to any player new and/or old that is trying to make an unusual deck that isn't generally accepted in the other/more competitive sections of the forums (By the way, has anyone seen them lately? I haven't, they used to be allot more active... anyway). 

@BobbertZhubert:  I understand your concern with how you expect to find more unusual/interesting builds in the casual play section, but without requesting it, it's not going to happen often. What I mean is that new/interesting builds don't appear very often here and the casual play section used to have certain threads that brought them out and got creative juices flowing. There used to be many threads that were games that challenged players to get out of their comfort zone and try something new. Like, "build around this" where players would build a deck that was previously challenged to make and then issue a card/theme to build around for someone else to make. It turned into a nice chain of creative/twisted builds. It also helped allot of players understand what needed to go into making a deck from scratch. There was also the game "click random button on the gatherer and build a deck around it". Here it was intended that posters guess what the random card from the previous deck was and then build a deck of their own from the first card that popped up on the random page of the gatherer. This was a fun guessing game, but it was hard/impossible to tell if players where actually using the random button. Other thread that was popular was the "neat and unusual deck ideas" thread that Cats and Me made. It showcased unusual builds and allowed posters express any unusual/interesting deck idea they had and then the good ones that could function and haven't been overdone were collected and displayed on the opening post. It was a great thread where you could see players really get creative as well as learn what can work and what doesn't work when making an original deck idea. To wrap things up, what I'm saying is that instead of complaining that there isn't many original/unusual deck ideas around ATM, build a thread like ones of the ones I listed above and see what the posters in this section are willing to try/become creative from. 

Hope this helps and sorry for the ranting.

How to autocard: [spoiler] [c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=

@kashonismw, wow. Thanks for clarifiyng most of the things up. I never knew that people on the other parts of this forum are not as accepting or helpful as the people in the Casual Decks section. Since I have always been in the Casual Decks section I don't really know what the other parts I like. 

Okay. So know I sort of see why there are a lot of new players in the casual decks section. I now see that its acutally a good that new players are coming to the Casual Decks Forum since they don't really have any other place to go. 

I wasn't really complaing about the lack of new or ideas, It's just that most new player's decks require a lot of work and dedication from someone who is helping. A lot of typing, searching and all sorts of stuff is required to help out this new player. Its not that I don't like helping out new players, its that that sometimes I don't really have time for this work and end up not posting on anything in this forum. So I guess I have to make more time for myself in order to be a active poster and commenter to this fourm. 

Overall, thanks kashonismw for really clarifying and enlightening us on the big picture of things. :D
Well, I think there are new player decks here for several reasons (aside from mods moving their topics to this forum)

1. There isn't a forum specifically for new player decks (and I'm not suggesting that there needs to be).
2. If you look at the decklists they post, they are no where near tournament deck quality.
3. Most new players wouldn't be jumping into tournament level right away, they'll probably be at a casual level. And if they are planning on going to a tournament and post one of those "new player decklists" I would just recommend they pick up an event deck for FNM and play with that.

As a result of the abover reasons (especially the last 2) it's reasonable to see the casual forum being the forum for new player decklists as well.   

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

@megamaster125, Yeah, I see that the Casual Decks page is really the New Players page now and for good reason too. I guess it is what it is. 
I wish they'd check out the deckbuilding discussion sticky first though.  So many of these new players' decks could benefit from just some general advice covered in that thread.  "Try to use more 4 ofs," "that card is too win more," "you need more utility/removal," "your deck needs focus" I see those kinds of comments in all these threads, and all of them are covered there.

Maybe we can get Squinty_Eyes to change the thread title to something new players would be more likely to click on before posting like "[new players look here first] Deck Design, general advice and discussion"
@El_Pared, very true. I say those things to new player's all the time when helping them fix up there decks. We should get Squinty_Eyes to change the thread title. 
Casual has always been a place for newbies to come and get deckbuilding advice. Sometimes we get more newbie decks here than other times, but these sorts of things are cyclical. I'd expect some new and wonky ideas every time a new expansion comes out, then after things have shaken out a bit the new players bring their new decks that they've just discovered.

Also, about stickies...in the 10 years I've been here it has been nigh impossible to get people to read stickies BEFORE they post their decklist. However, a link at the beginning or end of a helpful post goes a long way to directing people to the helpful information. Once that habbit is formed, people will usually check stickies every time they go to a new forum (at least...that's what I did).

"There are some who call me...Tim?" Go Duke! I apologize for my lack of grammar, spelling, and coherence in my posts. Former Member: Team ABS

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/

Also, about stickies...in the 10 years I've been here it has been nigh impossible to get people to read stickies BEFORE they post their decklist. However, a link at the beginning or end of a helpful post goes a long way to directing people to the helpful information. Once that habbit is formed, people will usually check stickies every time they go to a new forum (at least...that's what I did).

I would like to contest this a bit. If someone posts a topic and doesn't read the sticky, it's quite obvious (especially for non-deckbuilding issues, as it happens on all forums everywhere). But if someone reads a sticky topic, has their question resoved, and doesn't post, we never know about it, because they didn't post. We can't know how many people the stickies are actually helping, but don't assume it's 0.

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

I would like to contest this a bit. If someone posts a topic and doesn't read the sticky, it's quite obvious (especially for non-deckbuilding issues, as it happens on all forums everywhere). But if someone reads a sticky topic, has their question resoved, and doesn't post, we never know about it, because they didn't post. We can't know how many people the stickies are actually helping, but don't assume it's 0.

Granted.

However, I feel like in deckbuilding forums people would post their decklist even after reading the stickies and making changes. The purpose is critique, after all.

"There are some who call me...Tim?" Go Duke! I apologize for my lack of grammar, spelling, and coherence in my posts. Former Member: Team ABS

The casual forum regulars are all fine, scholarly gentlemen. Everybody knows it, so everybody comes here for deckbuilding advice. The tournament forums are filled with hatred and contempt for all "casual tourney" players.

It has become a little more clustered here than usual, I'll admit. I hardly find many new decks in the casual forums that aren't completely obvious, like festering newt and crew.

I think it would greatly benefit the whole forum to include basic deckbuilding tips in your sig. You can go into detail, provide links, or just keep it simple with "4-ofs" and "rule of 9." Autocarding tips should be sigged, too. Sblocking it all for space makes it bearable for readers.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
I have had a hard time with the Casual Deck Forum. When I was new to this site and posted newbie decklists, I had a plethora of people help me and give me advice. Once I had run the gauntlet a few times and posted decks that weren't quite as noobish, I got very little help. It began to seem to me that Casual Deck Help was for newbie deck critique and since then I've kind of avoided posting there. Even when I come up with decks that I would definitely deem "casual", those meant for the kitchen table, I post them elsewhere most of the time. Also, I began to take the game a little more seriously and moved much of my traffic to the Modern forum.

I definitely feel that NO newbie reads the stickied forums. EVER. I myself am guilty of it and actually I have only now begun to read the stickied forums more frequently. That's not how it's supposed to work but somehow that seems to be the case. People just want to put up their decks for critique and yes, most of them suffer from the ten most obvious deck building faults (lack of playsets/ bad mana base/ etc). I spend quite a lot of time trying to help new players and I certainly feel like I give them the same story every time I critique because they didn't read the stickies.

I dunno what to do to fix all of this. I think a lot of it has to do with people's ego and they just want to be told that their list is brilliant from the get-go. Also if we could all agree more about what "casual" means, we might be in better shape lol

EDH decks I play:

Prossh: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4101381

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4025591

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Norin (Mono Red Suicide)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Muzzio (Oops, Blightsteel)

I have had a hard time with the Casual Deck Forum. When I was new to this site and posted newbie decklists, I had a plethora of people help me and give me advice. Once I had run the gauntlet a few times and posted decks that weren't quite as noobish, I got very little help. It began to seem to me that Casual Deck Help was for newbie deck critique and since then I've kind of avoided posting there. Even when I come up with decks that I would definitely deem "casual", those meant for the kitchen table, I post them elsewhere most of the time. Also, I began to take the game a little more seriously and moved much of my traffic to the Modern forum.

I definitely feel that NO newbie reads the stickied forums. EVER. I myself am guilty of it and actually I have only now begun to read the stickied forums more frequently. That's not how it's supposed to work but somehow that seems to be the case. People just want to put up their decks for critique and yes, most of them suffer from the ten most obvious deck building faults (lack of playsets/ bad mana base/ etc). I spend quite a lot of time trying to help new players and I certainly feel like I give them the same story every time I critique because they didn't read the stickies.

I dunno what to do to fix all of this. I think a lot of it has to do with people's ego and they just want to be told that their list is brilliant from the get-go. Also if we could all agree more about what "casual" means, we might be in better shape lol

I've experienced this as well. But I'm not too concerned about it.

When I was a noob the casual forum goers were amazing. When I became less of a noob I went to the vintage forum (back when vintage was popular). After I got kicked around in the vintage forum, I got a lot better. When I came back to the casual forum I noticed that my decks didn't get as much attention. However, this is because I got better as a deckbuilider and I didn't need as much help on the basics. Many casual forum helpers are really, really good at helping with the basics (thank God for them). But once you've got them down, you need to ask them very specific questions to get critique.

So, once I started making it clear where the deck was struggling, or what sort of quirky plan I was having trouble putting together, I got better results.

I know personally, when someone has the basics down and wants more complex help I struggle to give them more than just a few tips. Oftentimes a well put-together casual deck is similar to a competitive deck in that it really needs to be field-tested before critique. When a deck starts really tight, testing may be the only way to discern what its needs are. This makes critiquing solid casual decks more difficult. 

When you consider the fact that people who go to hell stay there for eternity, it kind of brings the "problems" with the casual deck forum into perspective.

I have had a hard time with the Casual Deck Forum.

There, there.
For my first five years or so of playing my playgroup only had three people. I am from a very small town so their where just not a lot of players. Due to this I learned mostly from trial and error until I smartened up and went to the internet, it wasn't easy. Learning without any experience players around is really really difficult and as you know the internet isn't always a friendly place. So if this is the most "respectful" place for them to come then I don't mind at all.

It seems to me like this forum goes through cycles. You get a bunch of new player posts then a few experience player posts. The same can be said for deck types. You will get a wave of similar decks like reanimators or recently a wave of mill decks. I may sometimes start to get a little board with all the new player threads but I still always try to help the new players when I can.

My play group likes to play legacy except with out the alpha/beta dual lands, the expensive fetch lands and the crazy scary good cards like tarmogoyf, force of will. This make the casual forms really the only place for someone like me since. The same could be said for a lot of play groups semi custom formats. I guess my point is I like this forum and the people who post here.

How to Auto Card: [c]Entomb[/c] Becomes Entomb

I was thinking about moving to the Modern Section of this forum. I am not that great of a magic deck builder but I can still be considered some what of a experienced player in the Casual Decks section. DO you think I would be able to make the move? Or are the people in the Modern section just going to shoot me down?
for a while I tried posting my decks in the Standard section, but most people there are only going to help you if you're playing a known tourney deck or a viable rogue deck and they expect you to have no budget at all really.  I found them to not be very flexible at all TBH

I feel like Casual decks has the most, well, casual atmosphere where no one's trying to tell you your deck's worthless unless you're running 4 Thoughtseize and a playeset of Watery Grave in your faerie control deck or whatever when most casual decks can do just fine with Underground River and Duress instead.
@El_Pared, very true. I say those things to new player's all the time when helping them fix up there decks. We should get Squinty_Eyes to change the thread title. 

I tried.  But after people post in it, I don't think I can change the thread title anymore.  For the record, I was going to change it to:

>>Hey, New Players, Look Here First You Dummies!<<

Not sure if it would have gone over well.

~SE++ 

http://forum.nogoblinsallowed.com/index.php

Many of the more knowledgable regulars here have moved on because the forums have gone to hell.  There use to be a good contingent of 10 or so guys who knew their stuff that posted about every day.  Gheyzor, lim-dul, mono, Mal-something, mntwinsfan, texansfan; plus the guy who created the fairy stompie archetype in legacy.  There were quite a few very good players.  Even further back were Skankhair, Shady and Zerg from the infamous team ABS (hi tim).  That being said, the forum has always been 90% scrub decks.  If I wanted to post a serious list I'd post in the competitive section, even if it really wasn't truly competitve in that format.

Casual Play Archetypes | The Casual Play FAQ: A Guide to the Game of Magic | The Return of Group-Make-A-Deck!

Contributions are welcomed!

nogoblinsallowed.com

Join us!  

dragon maze isn't going to make standard curently

restricting artifact mana two 3+ has made has slowed any cretion that deals with all onews land entering tapped 

I rarely pay attention to stickies

"some stones should be left unturned" ~Urlock
I might check out the Modern Section of this forum but I guess the Casual Decks page is stilling going to be my home. :D
And about the stickies.  Maybe it shouldn't irk me, but 90% of the stuff in the new thread was stuff I very tediously organized and had already posted in, IMO, better detail and higher quality.  When I made the FAQ, I made sure it was made so that it was comprehensive and wouldn't require much more than maybe an occaisonally update for new rules.  At one point we/I had 4 or 5 stickies up and I spent a lot of time consolidating, fixing up, and covering material for all of those stickies.   

The new thread is almost like the previous version of the FAQ was like when meepoo and sengir did it... a decade ago.

Casual Play Archetypes | The Casual Play FAQ: A Guide to the Game of Magic | The Return of Group-Make-A-Deck!

nogoblinsallowed.com

Join us!  

I might check out the Modern Section of this forum but I guess the Casual Decks page is stilling going to be my home. :D

no way

modern is just half the set for abitrary reasons

i'm playing standard

And about the stickies.  Maybe it shouldn't irk me, but 90% of the stuff in the new thread was stuff I very tediously organized and had already posted in, IMO, better detail and higher quality.  When I made the FAQ, I made sure it was made so that it was comprehensive and wouldn't require much more than maybe an occaisonally update for new rules.  At one point we/I had 4 or 5 stickies up and I spent a lot of time consolidating, fixing up, and covering material for all of those stickies.   

The new thread is almost like the previous version of the FAQ was like when meepoo and sengir did it... a decade ago.

(1)  The new thread was intended for discussion since people were asking.  So I made a THREAD for the discussion.  Hell, it's even labled that it was a discussion.

(2)  People other then me asked for it to be stickied.  I never encouraged it.

(3)  So ask for it to be taken down, I never wanted it to have to be there.  I just wanted a thread for an open forum discussion.

(4)  The forum has changed, and it is older, so please stop complaining about how everything used to be and how it all was, and how your FAQ is perfect.  I know it is better then the thread I made.  Mostly, because mine wasn't supposed to get stickied.  That came at the request of several others.

~SE++ 

I'm not calling you out on anything.  I'm just stating it all came from people just not reading what was already there.  

The forums have gone to ****.  This happened years ago and the forums still haven't come close to recovering because G0 and WotC went on a stretch where they did all they could to completely nuke the forums.  But I never said anything about that, and I never stated my FAQ was perfect.  Just that it's mildly annoying people made a new thread essentially rewritting everything just because they didn't take five seconds to read the already created sticky.  

nogoblinsallowed.com

Join us!  

What was already stickied was comprehensive, informative and complete.  In the same way an automobile manuel is.  Not a bad thing, but it's about as accessible to read as the dictionary, at points.  And likewise, not calling you out.  It is well done, but it's not an easy first read on the forums.

The discussion thread was a way for people to all get together and make comment on how they would go about building a deck, and it snowballed from there.  It's out of order, confusing and seems to be written by a five year old who forgot how to properly use a comma.  Those are my parts.  But in the end, several people thought it was easier to read it that way.

And as far as calling out the Forum as a whole saying it has gone down the toilet, then you really need to losen up a bit.  No one was great at deckbuilding when they first started.  As you said, 90% of it will always be new player's decks that won't be competative.  And not to be a jerk or anything, but what was your last original decklist that you posted on any of these forums that was competative from the start?  Sometimes ideas run dry, archetypes are already in place, and originality isn't quite what it used to be.  But as many are complaining here about "scrub decks" and people not making anything new or competative, I hardly see the people in this thread trying themselves.

BobbertZhubert has 1 deck on the 1st page.
rockshard has 0.
Void_Elemental has 0.
Arbitard1171 has 1.
kashonismw has 0.
megamaster125 has 0.
El_Pared has 0.
supa_tim has 0.
Keino has 0.
Smoke_Stack has 0.
ppkitty has 0.
squinty_eyes has 0 (yeah, I include myself for fairness).
tonyto3690 has 0.
Matt_Holck has 0.

So, for everyone commenting on the forum's degeneration, only two of the people are contributing threads.  While many of us are commenting on other player's decks and helping to improve them (which is great, continue to do so), very few of us are creating ourselves.  The forum won't change if people don't post their great ideas, that much is true.  But standing by and complaining is getting less done.  You mentioned "the guy who created the fairy stompie archetype in legacy."  Exactly how many archetypes do you think might be left for someone to discover?  I know we don't have them all, but is it really reasobanle to compare?  And many players don't want to build Legacy or Vintage decks seeing as how it's not a supported format (by Wizards of the Coast) anymore.

Anywho, I know I've rambled, and it's probably poorly written and full of holes in logic.  I just don't see the purpose in complaining without trying to actually do something about it.  Because of that, I'd like to ask everyone who has posted:

What changes would make the Forum better?  Let's stop focusing on the negative, and work together for the positive.

~SE++ 

motivation to continue to contribute

well put, squinty_eyes.
By forum, I meant the entire community.wizards.com forum.  Casual has done as well as any of the forums, but even here we used to have 30-50 posters on at a time and you were lucky to go an hour and not have your thread be bumped to the second or third page.  Traffic has ground to a halt everywhere.  The competitive forums are completely dead, and moderation is a complete joke now.  When I say the forums have gone to hell, it's because management took every possible decision and made the wrong one on every single one of them, not because of posters here.

There will always be new possible archetypes to discover as long as they print new cards.  But I wasn't saying the forums were better because someone did that.  I was just using that to give a description of who he was for anyone else who might remember.  

I don't build decks anymore.  I don't play magic anymore.  I haven't bought cards in about 8 years.  I just enjoy the mental process and strategy and it's easier to just use the framework of other people's decks, as I don't keep up to date with new sets to create new deck ideas.   And really, I put my time into growing the casual forums.  We were huge at one point with forum games and great community.  Then WotC nuked it.  I'm not going to waste more of time doing their work for them just to have them obliterate it on a whim again.

nogoblinsallowed.com

Join us!  

And really, I put my time into growing the casual forums.  We were huge at one point with forum games and great community.  Then WotC nuked it.  I'm not going to waste more of time doing their work for them just to have them obliterate it on a whim again.

I truly mean no offense, but you're being a cry-baby and taking the easy way out.  You're putting blame on others for decisions made, and saying you have all the answers but you won't share them.  Also, WotC didn't do it on a whim.  That's ignorant to say.  They are a massive company with a public face, and their forums are a large part of that.  Any decisions made were thought out and planned, and even if it had a negative impact over the years in your eyes (and probably the eyes of many), none of them are made on a whim.  Ever been a manager?  If so, then you'd know what I am talking about.  But it seems you just want to restate over and over that the forums are not what they used to be and that you're disatisfied and don't want to offer help.  Good for you.  Nice stance.  Would you like to join the Q?  I hear they might recruit, or not.

~SE++ 

@Squinty_eyes
Yeah? Well, I have TWO on the second page!!

Seriously though? Crying about something and calling someone out about crying about something amounts to the same thing...nothing. So, perhaps we should all remove the plank in our own eyes before calling out the speck in others. Otherwise we're just yelling at each other.

And the forums DID used to be pretty epic. Sengir_Vampire, RBL, glenchuy (the one time top ranked Asian player), Eldariel (afore-mentioned inventor of Faerie Stompy) my ABS brethren (Skank, Stew, Pip, Shady, Mathias, Tidal_Kraken, Enialis_Laidon). Then the next generation, with mntwinsfan, gamegeek2, etc. I could go on and on.

BUT, the forums still have some awesome posters. When one "generation" leaves, another comes to take it's place. Angry_Possum, Azazel_Wandering, BobbertZhubert, squinty_eyes, etc (sorry if I misspelled anyone's name). People step up to contribute.

What killed the forums was that huge down time between the end of gleemax and the start of this one. People found other places to go in those months. And when these forums finally started, they were SOO buggy that more people left. They've regained more and more users since them, but traffic is still kinda low compared to just a few years ago. But that really shouldn't matter. People are still here, and we've still got solid contributers (I've already mentioned a few).

And honestly, people contributing to threads > people posting their own threads. The only way new players will get help is if we, the experienced players, give them help. If we are more concerned about getting critique of our awesome Dan Frazier list...well, that really doesn't help anyone.

Like I said before, these things are cyclical. Just wait around long enough and you'll see that traffic ebs and flows; decklists get better and worse; casual gurus come and go. 

I still post occasionally.  I'm honestly not even sure how this became about the forums.  I don't have time or interest to post like I used to and I'm by no means obligated to do so.  

The new sticky is redundant.  That is all. 

nogoblinsallowed.com

Join us!  

I wasn't here for how the forum "used" to be but I personal like the way it is and the people here. I meant my first post on this forum to be a one time thing but the people here where so good and nice I decided I wanted to stay and try and help out others like the rest of you.

If we keep being nice and helpful to other new players hopefully they will also decide to stick around. Then the "traffic concerns" of some posters will go away.

I think naturally the newer players will have more posts then experience players. This would be because the experience players already have a good number of decks and already know what kind of decks they like. The newer players obviously don't have many decks and try to branch out to more places. 

How to Auto Card: [c]Entomb[/c] Becomes Entomb

no way

modern is just half the set for abitrary reasons

i'm playing standard

Really? I thought people were saying that the Standard section is even more competitve and will shoot down or ignore anyone who can't match their skill level. Anyways, when I firsted started in the forums I really liked it. Most of the experienced players did post plently of decks. For example, Honor_Basqait was an experience player and seemed to always be posting cool decks. 
Eh, I used to post here quite a bit, but generally I got too tired of pretending I was going to buy all these decks some day when I never acquired hardly any of them.
Also, this thread needs some Vektor mentions. And maybe royk.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I've been around since around 2003 or 2004, and the forums are honsetly pretty much the same as I remember them.  In fact, I like the people here now better than I did back then because back then the "casual" forum was full of more competetive players essentially posting their Vintage and Legacy decks here and anyone who wanted a critique on their dumb ass Exploding Wurms deck was pretty much SOL.

the fact that I can post my dumb ideas for how to make games at my kitchen table more interesting here and actually get meaningful feedback on it other than "get 4 Hallowed Fountain and Cryptic Command, and you should really be using Swords to Plowshares instead of Oblivion Ring" when I've clearly stated I'm on a budget and/or format restriction, is awesome.

So what I'm trying to say is "the good ol' days" when all these users that have been mentioned were around, weren't actually all that great, at least not for me.  If you were truly a casual player you had no chance to get any advice on your deck unless it was just another cookie cutter vintage deck of some kind that you maybe changed 2 sets of cards in.

but what this forum has ALWAYS been good at is helping new players, even back then.  If a newbie posted a deck full of one-ofs several players would try to help them, giving them the same advice, that's been in tonyto's sticky for a decade, even though we knew they didn't read it because overall we're cool people that want to help other people have fun playing Magic.