Contest - Ramaz

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, still enjoying Duels 2014, but the luster is wearing.
Anyone wanna take a stab at designing Ramaz?

If you don't know him, look him up on magic wiki.

Contest will run approximately 49-50 hours.
Ramaz 
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant land.
Whenever enchanted land becomes tapped, gain 1 life.

I didn't read the article.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
I once made a character, Ramaz, Thief of Time... so I will use that name.

Ramaz, Thief of Time -- :UM::RM::GM:
Planeswalker - Ramaz (MR)

[+1]: Scry 1, then fateseal 1, then clash with that opponent. If you win, put a colorless 3/3 Elemental creature token onto the battlefield.
[-5]: Draw three cards, you may play three additional lands this turn.
[-8]: Choose target creature or player, then name a card. Exile cards from the top of your library until you reveal the named card. Ramaz, Thief of Time deals damage equal to the number of cards revealed this way to the chosen creature or player.
{5}

For those who care...

With the first ability he can "craete" a paradox, sending something that is supposed to be coming soon, into the very distant future. With his last ability, he "corrects" the paradox but at the cost of something (usually an opponent's thing).

I'm torn with ability two... I like it, but I originally wanted it to be:
[-3]: Gain control of target land.

That is all...
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Ramaz, Hoarder of Might
Planeswalker, Ramaz
[+1]: Ramaz, Hoarder of Might deals one damage to target creature or player for each card you've drawn this turn.
[-2]: Until end of turn, copy each spell you control that targets one or more creatures you control.
[-5]: Creatures get +1/+1 for each card in your hand and gain trample until end of turn.
[3]

@Cato: The article is pretty short.
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
Ramaz of the Wilds

Planeswalker -- Ramaz (R)
[+1]: You may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield.
[-2]: Pay . If you do, Ramaz deals X damage to each creature without flying.
[-6]: You gain an emblem with "Lands you control are 3/3 red and green Elemental creatures. They're still lands."

I know that Ramaz's Duels deck has blue in it, but I see no blue in the character himself.
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
I know that Ramaz's Duels deck has blue in it, but I see no blue in the character himself.

there's definitely blue in him
his ability to manipulate and deception
he tricked chandra into the whole mess with the sccroll and the eldrazi
Tricking people isn't exclusive to blue. Red and black also do quite a bit of it.
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
Here's his decklist, for reference.

Ramaz, Untamed Nature

Planeswalker-Ramaz
+1: Reveal the top card of your library. If it's a land put it onto the battlefield and repeat the process. Otherwise draw a card.
0: Shuffle target player's library and reveal the top card. You may play that card without paying it's mana cost.
 -7: Put up to ten target permanents on top of their owners library.
[4] 
Ramaz, Calculative Nature -
Planeswalker - Ramaz
[+1]: Draw a card. You may play an additional land this turn.
[-4]: Gain control of target permanent with converted mana cost equal to or less than the number of lands you control.
[-8]: Gain control of all lands target player controls and untap them. You get an emblem with " Lands you control have ': This land becomes a 5/2 red Elemental creature with haste and trample until end of turn. It is still a land.'" 
[4]
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Ramaz, Thrice Mighty
Planeswalker - Ramaz

+2: Choose a number from one to three and one target player. If that player doesn't cast that exact number of spells until the beginning of his next end step, Ramaz deals damage to him equal to the number of Loyalty counters on Ramaz.
+2: Target unblocked creature you control gets +3/+3 until end of turn, or target blocked creature you control gets deathtouch and first strike until end of turn. This ability can be used whenever you could cast an instant. (Abilities of planeswalkers you control can still only be used during your turn.)
-10: You get an emblem with "At the beginning of the first main phase, if you're not the active player, the active player chooses to either lose half his life rounded up or have you gain control of him until end of turn. If he chooses the latter, untap all lands that player controls."

Starting Loyalty: 5

Probably the most sophisticated design I ever made. Also, an interesting question: if a planeswalker starts at 7 loyalty and gains 2 per turn, does it actually matter that he can't protect himself?

I'm not saying it doesn't. I honestly don't know the answer to that question.

Probably the most sophisticated design I ever made. Also, an interesting question: if a planeswalker starts at 7 loyalty and gains 2 per turn, does it actually matter that he can't protect himself?

I'm not saying it doesn't. I honestly don't know the answer to that question.

Wizards seems to think so.
I'd tend to agree. 
Koth's a much better example to Wizards agreeing, me thinks.
Ramaz the Unsettled
Planeswalker — Ramaz M
/+2\: The next creature spell, the next enchantment spell, and the next instant or sorcery spell you cast this turn each cost you less to cast.
\–3/: Draw a card for each card that left your hand this turn.
\–9/: Each opponent puts a permanent he or she controls of each permanent type on top of his or her library in any order.
{ 4 }
Koth's a much better example to Wizards agreeing, me thinks.

4 loyalty at 4 mana is unusual?
Ramaz, [insert title here]
Planeswalker -- Ramaz
+1: Add to your mana pool.
-2: Gain control of target creature until the next time you activate an ability of Ramaz.
-7: Exile the top 10 cards of your library. You may cast each creature, instant, and sorcery card exiled this way without paying their mana costs.

Seems fun. Gaining control of stuff seems to be a theme of his, so I figured it needed to be one of his abilities.
@HT: No, what I meant is Koth is a planeswalker that saw constructed play despite not being able to protect itself.

@EFRo: Can I call you EFRo?
Koth saw play because he was in a deck that made it insanely dangerous to attack him. He obviously wasn't as great in the aggro matchup, though.
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
closed

am uncharacteristically busy at work today, though
so grades might be a little while...

altimis = Ramaz, Thief of Time = except our Ramaz isn't a theif of time; he's a barbarian; your design doesn't capture his barbarism very well -- clash is an interesting idea there; so you get to find out whether you'll win before the actual clash; and you can care less about the clash itself and just use this to scry and fateseal, which is very useful (especially as a + ability); given how easy it is to win the clash and that you get a 3/3 elemental out of winning, being a + ability is a bit much; you know what your opponent has coming (and/or your just hid something he'd want at the bottom of his library), you know what you have coming, you get more loyalty, and you get a 3/3.. yo... -- i like the -5; it's a good set up to have that be his sorcery effect if that's all you have -- it's very easy to turn the ultimate into a win con with a deck heavy in scry, especially since he has a built-in scry ability; frankly, too easy to make it a win con

AlienFinger79 = Ramaz, Hoarder of Might = interesting +1; it's a nice red effect that cares about how blue you're being; nifty way to do the color mixture there -- for the -2, it's an infinite loop if you do it; the copies are themselves spells targetting, so they also copy; and theire copies get copied, etc; need to be "whenever you cast a spell targetting one of more creatures you conrtol, copy that spell" since then the copies aren't "cast" and won't trigger it again; also might want to be ale to choose new target(s) for the copies... -- the -5 gives the buff to all creatures, not just "creatures you control" which makes it one of the most lackluster ultimates possible; it amounts to just giving trample.. which... big ol' meh as an ultimate

Libe = Ramaz of the Wilds = sorry, but not including blue undermines the whole point; we're making Ramaz, not just remaking Domri -- as a red/green planeswalkrer, he's fine; fits the colors well enough though the abilities aren't really amalgams of teh colors... the first is just green, the second is just red, and the third is mixed; not quite the same glory as when all three abilities are mixed

HairlessThoctar = Ramaz, Untamed Nature = minimum one-draw; potentially huge draw fix and mana ramp followed up with a one-draw; that's intense; that should be a negative ability not + -- the 0 is also such a beneficial thing that it aught to be negative; alhough also having to shuffle every time you activate is just annoying; the randomization is nice and important, but a full shuffle would be infuriating; just put top however many at bottom of library to make it tollerable to do -- the ultimate is very cool; it's a nice form of mass removal and time lock; it's crazy powerful, but entering 4 at cmc 5 in three colors probably keeps it fair; it's nearing the power of bolas's ultimate and isn't so different in difficulty to get to, so seems fair enough

ConfusedAsUsual = Ramaz, Calculative Nature = the Explore  +1 is green; yes, drawing is blue, but that exact ability exists in mono-green since Worldwake and has been so prevalent; first ability isn't red in the slightest -- the ability to steal lands with the -4 is too much; four loyalty is a lot, but it's an absolutely damning effect; could drop it to 3 loyalty and limit it to non-land permanent for a much better comfort level -- the ultimate is a win-con; still all lands then use yours to animate his; then he has an enormous army of 5/2 tramplers bearing down, and kiling them barely accomplished anything anyway since they were his lands to start with; that's too good

Esterdi = Ramaz, Thrice Mighty = planeswalkers are getting way too wordy; and this much text is just out of control -- that +2 isn't green, but is crazy powerful; pick 1 to make opponent have to sit back and do virtually nothing; or pick 3 when opponent's hand is empty and he can't possibly meet it; then you're doing a huge push of damage to him -- second +2 isn't blue; doesn't really matter when it's an always-see-it-coming combat trick where it actually amounts to "block and lose whatever you blocked with, period; or don't block and lose an extra 3 life"; not a lot of fun there; and all the extra text and the ability to activate as an instant on your turn only is unncessarily complex; just make it a minus ability and split it: "whenver creature you control attacks this turn and is blocked... Whenever creature you control attacks this turn and isn't blocked..." -- so every opponent's turn is lose half your life or your turn and i can destroy your board state... that would be abyssmal unfun to play against; especially since he eneters at 5 and gains 2 each turn while doing massively powerful things

Elzaban_the_Ethereal = Ramaz the Unsettled = it's a nice +2 and a good way to cover the three colors -- the rules problems with the -3 bother me; i'm assuming you're trying to cover any reason for "leaving" your hand.. discard and played or put somewhere.. but since the game doesn't normally check how many were in your hand at beginning of turn, there's no set memory going on to really account for this; i'd prefer a more simple draw howevermany cards; less sexy, yes, but also clear and understandbale for all players -- the ultimate is pretty amazing; it's a lot of power to get rid  of a bunch of permanents and lock down your opponents' draws for the next few turns; at least it's kinda swingy in that you might have an opponent with only lands and creatures... and he may even benefit from replaying an ETB ability... but, anyway; it's a nice ultimate that is very strong but isn't just absurd

EyeballFrog = Ramaz, [insert title here] = [insert comments here]....   -_-       -- that's an amazing mana source; he can't really enter at 4 loyalty for cmc 4 given how huge of a bonus his go-to + ability is -- the -2 control is interesting; locks himself down if there's something really worth stealing; of course, just waiting for opponent to play something better than steal that and lose first one your took... pretty viable with limited drawback -- top 10 cards for free is too much; 10 is so many cards, especially if you don't have any artifacts in your deck or other planeswalkers, you're going to get a massive board advantage out of that; far too massive a board advantage; i like the concept a lot, but that should be top 4 or 5 at most; definitely not 10

the -5 gives the buff to all creatures, not just "creatures you control" which makes it one of the most lackluster ultimates possible; it amounts to just giving trample.. which... big ol' meh as an ultimate

Actually, it rewards you for having more creatures in play than your opponent. That was the point anyway. =)

I can see now that it's somewhat overcosted, though...
If I remember correctly (which I very well might not be) Koth did well because he was so aggressive that he there was a real chance he wasn't the most dangerous thing in play at the time, so it was harder to deal with him.

@Koridian, yeah the Unexpected Results ability def should have been a -, I don't know what I was thinking. I've been on a 0 ability kick lately, and there's a real chance of just wiffing (hit a land or something lame) and I don't want to think of it always being insane (flip 10 mana game winner) but somewhere in the middle. 
I guess I can see that I made the numbers a little too low on my planeswalker here. Still, I'd argue that's not really a design problem. It's development's job to figure that out, and the numbers can be shifted around pretty easily while still maintaining the same idea.