7/29/2013 MM: "Where in the Worlds?"

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Making Magic, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Great stories - thank you for the article Smile

Nevertheless I want to point out that I'm pretty sure that the third picture for the world champions that won in their home country does not show Daniel Zink. 
How representative was the first few World Championships? (until 2000ish)
Seems to me that they were pretty much dominated by USA since the game was first made and distributed in USA. Also the first championships were held in USA.

Looking at the results from the "early years" comapred to the current (less domination by one nation) status. How skewed are the statistics and can they really be used as examples?
How representative was the first few World Championships? (until 2000ish)
Seems to me that they were pretty much dominated by USA since the game was first made and distributed in USA. Also the first championships were held in USA.

Looking at the results from the "early years" comapred to the current (less domination by one nation) status. How skewed are the statistics and can they really be used as examples?

I'm not really sure what the problem is here. Using the US's finishes as anecdotes doesn't really seem like a problem.
To be honest its not a problem.

I know a lot of people, including me that are very fond of "pointless" statistics (I am not a follower of baseball, but I think it is the best example) My point was more that when you have a limited amount of data entries how fun is it to make these essentially pointless statistics from them?

Sign In to post comments