30K In Gold...

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Yep, you read the title correctly...
30K in gold is what our DM gave us.  We're allowed to purchase anying from up to level 11, any type (common, rare, super rare, godly...)  However, I have no idea what to get.

I am totally at a lost of what would be benefical for a campaign.  I am a kid who won the lottery and standing at the candy shop, trying not to buy everything.

Suggestions would be really helpful, just in-case:

I am a firesoul sword mage & here is my current break-down of items, got these for free:
Bold Victory Leather Armor +1
Cape of the Mountebank +1
Challenge-seeking Broadsword +2

Thank you in advance for all your assistance! 
more information would be helpful.

What powers and feats did you take already that an item could compliment?
What level do you start at ?
How do you see your role, and where would you like to shine? Would a teleport boost be your thing, do you want to buff your defenses, are you looking for more damage?

Aside of that, I would drop the broadsword in a heartbeat for a longsword or rapier, and you should have enough cash for a +2 armor and neck item. 
That would assist you guys...
It's my first attempt at a sword-mage.
We're currently level 7, working on leveling him up.
I play a tank-ish player by teleporting around the field of combat.  As long as I am within 5 squeares.

And I would like to get into more damage, I know as a defender you're not going to deal a ton of damage -- however doing a bit more always helps.

Teleporting around does help, as secondary.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Kaddim-sul, level 6
Genasi, Swordmage
Build: Assault Swordmage
Swordmage Aegis Option: Aegis of Assault
Elemental Manifestation Option: Firesoul
Firepulse Option: Firepulse Strength

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 19, CON 12, DEX 11, INT 19, WIS 11, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 12, DEX 11, INT 16, WIS 11, CHA 8

AC: 23 Fort: 18 Ref: 19 Will: 16
HP: 62 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 15

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +12, Athletics +12, History +12, Insight +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +6, Heal +3, Intimidate +2, Nature +5, Perception +3, Religion +7, Stealth +3, Streetwise +2, Thievery +3

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Genasi Racial Power: Firepulse
Swordmage Feature: Aegis of Assault
Swordmage Attack 1: Greenflame Blade
Swordmage Attack 1: Sword Burst
Swordmage Attack 1: Blazing Pursuit
Swordmage Attack 1: Burning Blade
Swordmage Utility 2: Dimensional Warp
Swordmage Attack 3: Blazing Lunge
Swordmage Attack 5: Purifying Wound
Swordmage Utility 6: Armathor's Step

FEATS
Level 1: Toughness
Level 2: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Level 4: Firepulse Transformation
Level 6: Vigor of the Blade Adept

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Bold Victory Leather Armor +1 x1
Cape of the Mountebank +1 x1
Challenge-Seeking Broadsword +2 x1
Potion of Healing
Potion of Life
====== End ======

1. Dump the Broadsword, take the Longsword and its +3 proficiency.
2. Re-do your stats, if possible. You can go Con secondary, or, if you still want Strength and get balanced NADs, drop it two points behind INT and put the leftover points in to WIS (and a point in CON). You really want Superior Will at least by Paragon. You can either multiclass Fighter (for unmarked punishment), Wizard (for Simbarch of Aglarond PP) or Warlord (Resourceful Leader, boost party damage on Action points a bit)
3. Your E3 should be Dimensional Vortex, it's off-turn, can make an enemy big hitter smack his own and lets you defend on an enemy without a mark, especially in the opening round.
4. Dump Vigor of the Blade Adept. You have no stances to take advantage of it. Firepulse Transformation is pretty iffy also as it doesn't scale well.

These will help you more than a single item.

As for the items, does your DM allow them to auto-level? If so, then nab a Rare, otherwise I'd be tempted to grab the +3, level 11 item as you're entering that territory anyway, probably a sword but your neck slot and armor are also behind a + currently and will be +2 soon.

*Edit* I was reading it as you got to choose an item, not items. Still, if any auto-level rare is available, go for it, but otherwise (especially if loot drops are infrequent as it appears) get the higher enchantments on the big three, especially weapon, then Masterwork armor.
Well, level 11 items cost 9k. I would recommend getting Magic Armor +3 (because you can get masterwork leather at +3, which means it boosts Reflex as well). But definitely get a Magic Weapon +3 (longsword). One of those runs you 9k, both runs you 18k.

A +2 neck piece runs you at most 5k, so just pick one you like. I recommend Cloak of Translocation +2, which if you take Dimensional Vortex like Gunthar suggested, means you get a reuse of that on top of the AC/Reflex bonus. That is 4200 gp, so we have 7800 gp left.

Other good items:

Iron Armbands of Power (heroic) - 1800 gp (+2 damage to your melee attacks)
Elven Shirt Mail  - 4200 gp (slotless +1 AC)
Acrobat Boots - 520 gp (minor action to stand up from prone)

I am sure other people have better suggestions. 

1. As Gunthar said, get Dimensional Vortex at 3.  Note that the target doesn't need to be marked to trigger, which I'd missed when I was first using it.

2. Also agree with his suggestion on stat redistribution, if possible.  This may mean you need Intelligent Blademaster for a feat.

3.  Weapon expertise (Heavy Blade) only applies to weapon attacks, you want War Wizard's Expertise for implement attacks too (like Sword Burst).

For gear, Fochizzy has a good list.  You have a lot of fire powers, so I was looking at Firewind Blade, but I don't think it's worth it at this point.  Note that your Aegis mark has the teleportation keyword, triggering Cloak of Translocation's bonus.    I also like Strikebacks (5000g) for your hands and a handy immediate interupt when your mark is being respected.  If wondrous items are on the table, Power Jewel (lvl 5, 1000g) for some power recycling, and a Siberys Shard of the Mage (lvl 3, 680g, if allowed in the campaign) for +1 damage on implement powers, or get the fire one.  
Since you mentioned any rares.. *pokes rares in compendium* Maybe some of these?

Horned Ring - lvl 8 rare ring, cost 3.4K : You don't need line of sight to wherever you wish to teleport, as long as you have seen the square before. Great for bypassing obstacles/blindness.

Dice of Auspicious Fortune - lvl 11 rare wonderous, cost 9k: Spare up 3 dice rolls for later use per day.

If anyone in your party use platemail, you can always go for friggin' Powered Armor, lvl 10+, cost 5k - this looks rad with blindsight and tremorsense, and encounter flight, in spite of malfunction chance (though I suppose that item may be a bit far out, as it's based on the Expedition to Barrier Peaks, meaning it's kind of sci-fi-themed, with a malfunction table for using the item powers in dragon 410).

Necklace of Prayer Beads (lvl 10, cost 5k) could prove useful for anyone proficient with Holy Symbols, even if they don't use it to do any attacks.
Sign In to post comments