Magic Moments (DOTP 2014)

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Today is the kind of day that reminds you of why you love Magic. A day where you pull off an epic move that is so amazing, so awe inspiring, so utterly awesome that you have to share it with everyone. Share your story, write down stuff only you have pulled off, and remember this isnt the place to comment on the stupidity of others, but a plateform to share your own genius.
Today I was playing a 1v1 match online against Guardians of Light. I was using Mask of the Dimir, and was about to get stomped. My life total was at 11, his was at 18ish. The field was as follows; My side - 2 4/4 Moroli, 1 1/1 Surveiling Sprite and 1 2/2 Dimir Guildmage. Opponents side- 1 7/7 Blade of the Sixth Pride and 1 9/9Admonition Angel. I had junk in hand and opponent was top decking. However, he managed to play 1 mana and captured a my Guildmage. He all out attacks, I eat 7 and lose 1 Sprite to his Angel, allowing me to draw a mana. Then I draw the only card that can save me on my turn, and i swing Both Moroli for 8 damage. He took this as a final desperate act so he played another mana, capturing a Moroli, and went with another all out attack. However, this time I had  6 untapped mana and a Spinal Embrace in hand. I played Spinal Embrace during the combat phase, on his 9/9 Angel giving me control of the creature. I used it to block his 7/7, killing it, and at the end of the turn the 9/9 died as a result of Spinal Embrace, I gaind 9 life, and my Moroli and Guildmage re entered the field under my control. My turn resulted in an all out attack and Victory for me. It was awesome!!!!
So Spinal Embrace is good? Kinda knew that.

Can't wait to use it myself, though.....
Love these stories!  Thanks for the thread.  

Today I was up against a 102 card deck in sealed.  I have no idea what he was running, other than he said he had the requisite "24 lands".  He mulliganed to 3 cards and rage quit claiming that the DOTP RNG was totally messed up.  I never said a word, but he called me several names.  I was forced to finish the game against the AI.

I actually won in 6 turns with the AI never dropping a land, but it was able to drop a kite shield.  It took a little over 5 minutes to finish, and I set up another game.  He tried to join my game again and I refused - it took me booting him 9 times, but eventually someone else joined.  

The entire episode took about 15 minutes before I was able to start a new game.  He called me several more names and claimed my ranking was only because I played bad decks after I kept booting him.  Again, I refrained from conversing with him.

It was glorious ... not.  But hey, it's all about him having fun.  My time is unimportant.  Plus, I am told that these instances are extremely rare, so I shouldn't really be concerned about it.
Bingo
I was playing 2hg with dragons and chant against AG and slivers. The board was 2 goblin tokens, 3 Dragon tokens and broodmother vs 7 slivers including megantic, mirror entity, lots of various humans and fiend hunter who took my kaarthus. They were on 30 and is dead on board 5 times over. However I had a plan. I used maelstrom pulse on fiend hunter to get back kaarthus, stealing mirror entity. Paying X = 7 and swinging for 35 in the air.
I love Mirror Entity but the shenanigans that it enables are mind boggling.
I carry on a hate/love relationship with Mirror Entity. There are such a myriad of methods to employ it in, it honestly makes an already complex and fun game more complex and fun!
Devoured 8 creatures with hellkite hatchling turn 5. Dude rage quit. Won turn 7.

2 + 2 = fish

Devoured 8 creatures with hellkite hatchling turn 5. Dude rage quit. Won turn 7.

Sounds awesome
I was playing random and found myself in a zombie mirror match-up. I had Grave Titan and Reanimate in my opening hand so I considered the ol' draw, discard, and reanimate trick but since I was going first I decided against it. My opponent however did decide to go for it skipping his first turn to discard Liliana's Reaver. On my next turn I reanimate the Reaver and pass it back ... turboquit!

Add me on Steam - {-LoR-} Aught3 - playing: 1v1 random.
MtG:O Planeswalker format - Aught3 - playing: White Weenie, Suicide Black, Yeva Aggro-control.
MtG:O Pauper format - Aught3 - playing: Stompy, Affinity, Eye Candy.

i was playing a mirror match with mind maze, eldrazi,  and they got an early elvish piper out and played it that betrays. i was able to mind control the [it that betrays, and i played roil elemental which i then used phantasmal image on. i played a land and took 2 creature with roil and its clone and then my temmate played eldrazi conscription on the real roil. and i attacked with both roil and it that betrays. i also played frost breath on his only 2 illusions left to make him sac them. forcing him to sac 4 lands and i then took control of the rest of the board with the roils becuase i got 4 lands from it that betrays. activation each both roils each 4 times. XD

This is usually a bad play, because it lets my Doom Blade wipe your board. What deck were you facing?
I think I may have brought this up but Aaron and I were playing 2hg last week. I was running EtD, I can't remember what he was playing.
It was a good game as one of the opponents was playing EtD also but he just kept bringing out little scrubs, and I started ramping.
I managed to get Broodmother to stick and drew into the Tyrant. The next turn after Broodmother doing her thing Aaron messages "Tyrant?".
It would put a sever dent in them but not kill them and I had a sneeking little feeling so I told Aaron that I had a feeling. I held my position in case my opponent had any tricks. Next turn he plays Flameblast Dragon.

Edit: That story inspired me. Now listening to the Beatles, I Got a Feeling.   lol

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

I was playing random and found myself in a zombie mirror match-up. I had Grave Titan and Reanimate in my opening hand so I considered the ol' draw, discard, and reanimate trick but since I was going first I decided against it. My opponent however did decide to go for it skipping his first turn to discard Liliana's Reaver. On my next turn I reanimate the Reaver and pass it back ... turboquit!

Haha! That's great.

IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2b5wr5.jpg)

Haha! That's great.

I think I saw ForceSCIIStrategy pull the same thing on an enemy Abattoir Ghoul in one of his videos.

Anyways, once I won a game as Masks of the Dimir in 1v1, and I thought it was epic because that deck is good at not winning but not much else.

Also, I got to Spinal Embrace a It that Betrays and Commandeer a Harmonize.  Guess Zorislav's promos aren't so bad after all (anyone know where Zorislav and Sigismund's arts are from)?
2 headed giant game with 2 enter the dracomancer decks  opponent plays Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund and steals all my teammates dragons. he attacks all out and we barely surive

next turn i play phantasmal image on  Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund sac image and attack for the win
I'm GoL versus AG. Opening draw, no land. Mulligan. Land, but no creatures. We'll try for 6. Crap, no land again. Mulligan to 5: 3 Plains, a Nomad Mythmaker, and Final Judgment. Fine, figure if I can hold out and draw into Judgment, we can reset the field and start over.

I get to throw down the Mythmaker, but he uses a Fiend Hunter to exile it. Board is getting flooded despite me having not much at all. Thankfully got a Seraph of the Sword out T4 which helped mitigate. I'm getting excited that he seems to be dumping his entire hand and I'm almost able to play Final Judgment. Draw that 6th land, play dat Judgment, he loses everything, I lose a Seraph, and I get my Mythmaker back! I'd been hoarding Auras in my hand and had drawn a Spiritdancer in the meantime, so threw that down + pants = win a few turns afterwards. 
Beating a zombie deck user 12-0 with my most hated deck as I was called a noob for not using the big 3... After tonight it's gone up in my favourites to play with masks of the dimir and dragons, (I have luck with dragons)

This is usually a bad play, because it lets my Doom Blade wipe your board. What deck were you facing?

Normally I would not devour that many creatures, but this was against the eldrazi deck.

2 + 2 = fish

Just had a pretty nice 2HG win. Me MotD, partner CotM agains DW and CotM. All started slow for both teams but I had Shadowborn Demon  and Fool's Demise plus some early stuff so I was not worried. My partner plays Primeval Titan and I happily put demise on it without  fear as DW is tapped out by killing my guildmage. On opponents turn DW player kills the titan I get the lands and equip it with demise again and swing. I am getting loads of lands and it seems they have no blockers so in act of despair they kill the titan again...I am probably sitting on 12 lands now, my partner just draws lands. They are able to swing with ghoul equipped with Eldrazi Conscription putting nice dent to out health. I kill it with demon on our turn then bounce the demon with Doomsday Specter. Next turn I swing, they block and kill the titan I make them discard It That Betrays. On their turn they try to wipe the board but I got Countersquall ready. My turn I just swing getting last lands from my deck and play Diluvian Primordial and I copy it with Evil Twin for some tendrils, draw and something else. On opponents turn they play Artisan of Kozilek which gets them It That Betrays back. On my turn I play demise on one eldrazi followed by demon on it, then I play demise on another one followed by Stolen Identity on my demon which killed second fatty. Yes they quit once they realised there is nothing that can be done. That was Dimir in full glory. Just bit angry as steam didn't seem to take any screenshots...
HS (me) vs DW (opponent). The early game went pretty badly for me, not able to get many attacks in with my Garruk's Companion and Kalonian Tusker before being forced onto the defensive. The mid game fairs poorly as well with him going up to 32 life of the back of Tendrils of Corruption and Staff of the Death Magus. He goes for a big swing and gets me down to two life, then throws out the premature "gg" - a pet peeve of mine. Next turn I top-deck my eighth forest and slam down a Craterhoof Behemoth that I've been holding since the start of the game. I send 34 points of green stompy damage straight to his face. GG indeed.

Add me on Steam - {-LoR-} Aught3 - playing: 1v1 random.
MtG:O Planeswalker format - Aught3 - playing: White Weenie, Suicide Black, Yeva Aggro-control.
MtG:O Pauper format - Aught3 - playing: Stompy, Affinity, Eye Candy.