Latest Developments: Playtesting Limited

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Very little said specifically about M2014.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

This column is rapidly becoming one of my favorites. More like this please (with more detail)!
Very interesting stuff. Great to hear this meaty, in-depth internal stuff that we couldn't hear from anywhere else. Great article - thanks!

I'd be interested to hear slightly more specific examples. Mercurial Chemister was created as a development card: for what purpose? I mean, he's awesome, but I'd be interested to hear what does he accomplish for Izzet that wasn't accomplished by the other Izzet rares?

In fact, there's an article idea: just go through about ten development-created cards from any given set (Dragon's Maze, Theros, whatever; preferably not a core set though), saying for each one what the problem was with the previous occupant of that slot and what the aim of the new card was. 
Very interesting stuff. Great to hear this meaty, in-depth internal stuff that we couldn't hear from anywhere else. Great article - thanks!

I'd be interested to hear slightly more specific examples. Mercurial Chemister was created as a development card: for what purpose? I mean, he's awesome, but I'd be interested to hear what does he accomplish for Izzet that wasn't accomplished by the other Izzet rares?

In fact, there's an article idea: just go through about ten development-created cards from any given set (Dragon's Maze, Theros, whatever; preferably not a core set though), saying for each one what the problem was with the previous occupant of that slot and what the aim of the new card was. 

That's a great idea. We've heard about "hole filling" for years, but never gotten any info on what kind of cards were so terrible they had to be completely trashed instead of fixed. 

Also loved the shoutout to sealed constructed - Best Format Ever, amirite? 
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
I also enjoyed the article, and I'd love to hear more about how you guys craft limited environments in the future. 

There are definitely some interesting stories to be told about development cards. MaRo said that Archangel's Light was put in to replace another ridiculously overpowered card at the last minute. I want to see what we would have gotten if they hadn't done that.
Archangel's Light < light of day ?

Mercurial Chemister blue's single color card draw is weak so red needed a stronger card draw option ?

SPS ?
EVL ?
TML ?
DH ?
ID ?
BH ?
MM ?

OK, I understand the difference between D & D , thanks

The players bring the flavor to the game
I would expect that.

> most failed, and two players very reluctantly slipped into blue because the first-pick blue commons were going ninth pick in the first pack.

Trained Condor a kite watching for left overs
             - Wizard of the seven eyes

I'd draft m14 again

Archangel's Light < light of day ?

Mercurial Chemister blue's single color card draw is weak so red needed a stronger card draw option ?

SPS ?
EVL ?
TML ?
DH ?
ID ?
BH ?
MM ?

OK, I understand the difference between D & D , thanks

The players bring the flavor to the game
I would expect that.

> most failed, and two players very reluctantly slipped into blue because the first-pick blue commons were going ninth pick in the first pack.

Trained Condor a kite watching for left overs
             - Wizard of the seven eyes

I'd draft m14 again

I'm not sure if this is in another language, or if you just had a stroke while writing this, but it is basically unintelligable.
I had a problem understand the table in the articular because the axis where not properly labeled

grunt

I'm not sure if this is in another language, or if you just had a stroke while writing this, but it is basically unintelligable.

Matt_Holck is generally pretty unintelligable, but we love him anyway.

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

I believe that the initials at the left hand side of the draft table are the initials of the player.