Most hated deck?

61 posts / 0 new
Last post
I wanted to ask what's your least favourite deck? Be it to face or a deck you just don't like, my most hated deck is dead walkers, with slivers being a close second, my reasons behind both are that I find zombies boring, and always have done in various CCG's, with slivers mainly being due to my hatred of the original slivers... Ugh the memories put me off
To play or play against, I hate Avacyn's Glory, just cause it's sooo generic and boring and overpoweredly fast.

And it has WAY too many Honor of the Pures.

My favorite deck is Sliver Hive.  Just cause it's unique, fun, and it's alot more consistent with +3 Sentinel Sliver.
Most definitely Avacyn's Glory. The deck is very fast and versatile and has many ways to neutralize threats with exile (even noncreatures with Oblivion Ring). Compared to Goblin Gangland, AG has tons of removal while GG didn't have almost any. And if you manage to stabilize your position during the first turns, they'll bring out crazy angels, the highlight being hexproof indestructible (which few decks have a way to deal with and only if they get the right cards).
To be fair, GG didn't need removal because they killed you before you got to play anything.

But it had 3x Gempalm Incinerator which was utterly and completely broken.
On-topic, I find AG annoying not so much because it's OP, but because being OP means people pick it excessively. The brokenness of the deck would be acceptable if I only had to face it once per ten matches.

It's nowhere near as bad as GG was, though. There are at least a few decks that can hang with it straight-up, and a few of the mid-tier decks (Chant/GoL) have pretty decent odds.
AG...
One word: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!!! And i managed once to combine it with Grave Betrayal!
What sweet victory...

GOD TIER...";(
"Dpad Fighter Forever"

I'd probably also go along with AG as being the most annoying to face. And adding another Path to Exile as the second promo makes it an even more annoying deck. That said though, I still found GG to be a more rage-inducing deck.
Sliver Hive by far. I just hate the way it's built. It has all those really powerful artifacts and enchantments, none of which actually fit in the deck. It just makes no sense. It's like whoever designed it made a list of the most powerful artifacts/enchantments they could think of, then added them at random to the deck.
EtD for me. Yet another poorly built tribal dragon deck. Stop trying Wizards it's just a waste of a deck slot.

Add me on Steam - {-LoR-} Aught3 - playing: 1v1 random.
MtG:O Planeswalker format - Aught3 - playing: White Weenie, Suicide Black, Yeva Aggro-control.
MtG:O Pauper format - Aught3 - playing: Stompy, Affinity, Eye Candy.

To play against, AG. Very good deck, can win it quick or take it to late game, and really has no weakness any deck currently out can exploit, but it has answers to almost anything the other decks have. I hate it more than GG, because at least GG had match ups it fell below 50% in. Also, for some reason I never saw a massive amount of GG online; certainly not as often as AG, which is up to 31% of what I've played against 1v1.

Least favorite to play would have to be EtD. The deck is just clunky to play, doesn't flow at all, and can very easily screw itself over with a bad hand. It's got all the hallmarks of a very bleh deck. Slivers and Hunter's are close 2nd's for me though, but the occasional GeddonLoL in 2HG, and those 3/10 games when Hunter's actually curves out into an Enlarge put them above EtD.
Lord of Illusion.dek
To play against: AG. Just because it's like 40% of all decks I play against, tired of seeing it. Snore.

To play as: HS. Boring. Not many fun tricks to play. 
I think Dennis Miller has turned into quite a deck.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Lol Devil...

On topic, my most hated to play against is DW, mainly coz when me and my partner were testing a certain strategy, it worked perfectly unless a DW was in the mix...which it is 8/10 2HG matches.

Just too common. On the flip side, I do love playing it as a control version with my partners ComD, but my worst to play as is almost certainly MM. Aggro is boring and I prefer DW and MotD for control.
Bobtheratkillr: DeadWalkers doesn't operate well as an aggro deck.
Mind Maze, by leaps and bounds, is my most hated deck to play against.  I'm pretty laid back, but I have to resist the urge to rage quit every time I see that damnable Phantasmal Bear.

No doubt:  AG's a miserable and terribly designed deck (as everyone other than the designers would have known at first glance), but even though you're usually losing against AG, at least you know you're losing.  AG isn't a tease about it like MM is.  I can't tell you the number of games I was sure I had in the bag, only to watch yet another Jace wannabe do something like drop two Phantasmal Image on my Necropolis Regent, Cryptic Command my defenders (and draw a card, because WHY THE FRAK NOT?), and still have enough mana left over to Counterspell my desperate attempt to Spinal Embrace their Halcyon Glaze.

If AG is a steamroller, MM is a sucker punch.  To the groin.  Holding car keys.

hates Mind Maze. I hates it!   

The only good news is the terrible crop of promo cards Mind Maze is getting.  So I'm sure things will balance out as more promos unlock.

Right?

Right? 

Cry 
MM can wreck you, for sure, but it's much more inconsistent than AG or DW, because it's quite vulnerable without the Lords. When they get them, though..............
Jace is pretty lame.  I've been playing more of sealed bc the meta is just boring.
play with: AG

against: AG

Yeah, I really hate that deck. I think I realized that when I managed to defeat an opponent while being stuck on one land the entire game. Ragewin?
The worst thing about this is, it's not necessarily a bad thing for decks to be unbalanced, even extremely unbalanced.  Take the days of Mirrodin Standard, when half the meta played Affinity, while the other half played "decks that could sometimes beat Affinity, maybe".   I had a blast at those tournaments (at least before Darksteel and Arcbound Ravager made Affinity truly stupid):  Dividing the meta into two stark groups was a fun change of pace from the wide-open Standard that WotC generally aspires to.  (Come to think of it, it's kind of ironic that the Mirrodin storyline went in a similar direction a few years later.)

The problem with many of these decks isn't really balance, it's how unfun the match-ups are, and how repetitive they're getting (you'd think their third attempt at a dragon deck might have given us something playable... but no, for some reason, they keep insisting on three-color monstrosities and "destroy ALL my things" mechanics).   Balance is hard to perfect, but they wouldn't have to worry as much about that if the games were fun -- and that goal shouldn't have been so elusive to the DotP team, not with four years' experience under their belts and only ten decks in the meta.
To play against:

1) Avacyn's Glory - really fast, tons of great removal, ridiculous bombs
2) Mind Maze - really fast, hexproof, and all that bouncing/countering

To play as:

1) Enter the Dracomancer - I always feel like I have to be lucky to win with this. When it works it's great, but it can be messed up extremely easily
2) Firewave - Pretty boring for a red deck, I don't like how it's mostly sorcery-speed
To play against: Mind Maze. I always feel like it's a roll of the dice with this deck. I have to pray that he doesn't draw a Lord, pray he doesn't draw an Image, or pray that I can kill the former before he plays the latter. And sometimes even that's not enough, because he just goes and copies my bomb instead!

To play with: Dracomancer. What Soratami said. I feel like this is a roll of the dice, as well. I have to hope I ramp alright, have to hope I draw a couple of dragons so the first getting removed doesn't kill me, and hope that I can do all of this before I get stomped. 
Sliver Hive by far. I just hate the way it's built. It has all those really powerful artifacts and enchantments, none of which actually fit in the deck. It just makes no sense. It's like whoever designed it made a list of the most powerful artifacts/enchantments they could think of, then added them at random to the deck.

You're entitled to your opinion, but its really nowhere near as OP as AG. Also there aren't that many artifacts and enchantments. And if you are able to target a few key slivers, the whole sliver strategy comes crashing down. Just watch out for an armageddon. 
The worst thing about this is, it's not necessarily a bad thing for decks to be unbalanced, even extremely unbalanced.  Take the days of Mirrodin Standard, when half the meta played Affinity, while the other half played "decks that could sometimes beat Affinity, maybe".   I had a blast at those tournaments (at least before Darksteel and Arcbound Ravager made Affinity truly stupid):  Dividing the meta into two stark groups was a fun change of pace from the wide-open Standard that WotC generally aspires to.  (Come to think of it, it's kind of ironic that the Mirrodin storyline went in a similar direction a few years later.)

The problem with many of these decks isn't really balance, it's how unfun the match-ups are, and how repetitive they're getting (you'd think their third attempt at a dragon deck might have given us something playable... but no, for some reason, they keep insisting on three-color monstrosities and "destroy ALL my things" mechanics).   Balance is hard to perfect, but they wouldn't have to worry as much about that if the games were fun -- and that goal shouldn't have been so elusive to the DotP team, not with four years' experience under their belts and only ten decks in the meta.

No, the problem with the decks is balance.

To play against: Black and Blue combos. Another good bet is a GoL or Avacyn combo in 2HG or 1v1 with AG obviously though I don't play the mode.
To play with: HS and Slivers.
Mind Maze, by leaps and bounds, is my most hated deck to play against.  I'm pretty laid back, but I have to resist the urge to rage quit every time I see that damnable Phantasmal Bear.

No doubt:  AG's a miserable and terribly designed deck (as everyone other than the designers would have known at first glance), but even though you're usually losing against AG, at least you know you're losing.  AG isn't a tease about it like MM is.  I can't tell you the number of games I was sure I had in the bag, only to watch yet another Jace wannabe do something like drop two Phantasmal Image on my Necropolis Regent, Cryptic Command my defenders (and draw a card, because WHY THE FRAK NOT?), and still have enough mana left over to Counterspell my desperate attempt to Spinal Embrace their Halcyon Glaze.

If AG is a steamroller, MM is a sucker punch.  To the groin.  Holding car keys.

hates Mind Maze. I hates it!   

The only good news is the terrible crop of promo cards Mind Maze is getting.  So I'm sure things will balance out as more promos unlock.

Right?

Right? 

Thats some funny **** man. 
NimNams 2014 DoTP Invitational Sealed Tournament Champion - Undefeated... 'merica. eyePad GC tag: increasing aperture (formerly: uglywagon)

The problem with many of these decks isn't really balance, it's how unfun the match-ups are, and how repetitive they're getting (you'd think their third attempt at a dragon deck might have given us something playable... but no, for some reason, they keep insisting on three-color monstrosities and "destroy ALL my things" mechanics).   Balance is hard to perfect, but they wouldn't have to worry as much about that if the games were fun -- and thatgoal shouldn't have been so elusive to the DotP team, not with four years' experience under their belts and only ten decks in the meta.

DOTP 2013 is the perfect example of a game where the balance isn't perfect *cough* Time Warp *cough* Panoptic Mirror *cough* but the game was still fun because of how varied, synergic, unique, and mostly consistent the decks were (Dream Puppets and Exalted Darkness, hell yeah!  You must be from Mars if you didn't enjoy these decks).

DOTP 2014 had awesome new features (Random Deck and Land Editor) and a cool soundtrack and I expected the gameplay to live up to the presentation.  Instead Wizards repeated DOTP 2012's "10 shades of aggro :/".

DOTP 2013 got the formula perfect.  I had to mod in alot of cards to get DOTP 2014 to reach that level.
Most of the time I hate to play against AG the most.  3 path to exile, 3 fiend hunter, 2 oblivion ring, and a crapton of angels..............  However, i am converted to hating slivers for the rest of the day every time i see Armageddon.

Deck i hate to play as most is firewave.  As soon as my opponent gets something out with 5 toughness, whether it be through araus or just a plain hardcast, I know it is an uphill battle. 

2 + 2 = fish

DOTP 2013 got the formula perfect.  I had to mod in alot of cards to get DOTP 2014 to reach that level.

I hope you are actually staying away from multiplayer with the cheating, just saw your recommendations of Ghastlord of Fugue and Painful Quandary on the Masks of the Dimir thread. *eyeroll*

When I play against either Avacyn's Glory or Deadwalkers and I am not using either of these or Mind Maze, I know there's a big chance the match will be boring. And the main problem is that these two seem to be the most used decks, which increases the chances of boring matches by quite a lot, naturally.

I used to enjoy playing with Avacyn's Glory a lot in the beginning, and I started using it as soon as I unlocked it during the campaign, I loved the synergy and how the deck worked well together, with plenty of flexibility, even if there were very few big creatures coming on the battlefield from its side. Once I played some multiplayer and realized how most of the other decks simply didn't match it in potential it automatically became way less fun though. Now I made an angel heavy, obviously non-optimal build for it to play with sometimes.

Anyways, my least favourites to play with in themselves are Sliver Hive and Chant of the Mul Daya, I just don't like their style very much, and I find Hunter's Strength more fun than CoMD for instance. I still like to play with them sometimes and I do have fun with it, I just find the other decks more interesting in terms of how they are built and their strategies. That said, what's actually not fun is playing with a deck that is rather overpowered related to your opponent's and often makes for a boring match, quite often Avacyn's Glory and Deadwalkers fit that description. Sometimes Mind Maze does too.
No question at all the meta in this game is ultra boring atm. 10 decks just doesn't cut it with a game like this. There honestly should be 20 to start and 5 given out in two expansions. The way they do it now is just retarded imho and purely to milk people.

Take note Wiz I won't be buying your game ever again at launch. I feel others are in the same boat at least some.
AG is beyond ridiculous.

IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2b5wr5.jpg)

I hope you are actually staying away from multiplayer with the cheating, just saw your recommendations of Ghastlord of Fugue and Painful Quandary on the Masks of the Dimir thread. *eyeroll*

I'm surprised that Painful Quandary  hasn't been unlocked yet.

Anyways, I never play multiplayer on my jailbreaked version.  Just with the AI/my friends/Chuck Norris/the evil monkey in my closet.  Multiplayer is fun for a while but aggro can make you just throw up.

I still don't get why does Enter the Dracomancer play so sloppily.  I mean what does it need to be more like a good removal-heavy ramp like Obediant Dead or Mana Mastery?  Jund doesn't have very good card draw that I can think of but does it need more removal like Damnation, Savage Twister, or Terminate?  More Rampant Growth?  Better fatties?  Or do Dragon Jund decks just suck in general?
Hate playing against:
Chandra because she constantly causes desync with her X cards. (I mostly play 2HG)

Hate playing with:
#5 Jace, until he gets his promo unlocks done and I can try an MUC deck.
#4 Garruk. What a step down from 2013's deck. At least I could sort of do land fall combo in that deck if I wanted.
#3 Chandra. Extremely boring and straight forward.
#2 Dragons. Easily the worst starting deck, but it looks like it might be alright once it's fully unlocked if I drop the Dragon theme. From the Dragon deck.
#1 Slivers. New Slivers + 25 worthless unlocks = why should I even bother playing this deck.

DOTP 2014 had awesome new features (Random Deck and Land Editor) and a cool soundtrack and I expected the gameplay to live up to the presentation.  Instead Wizards repeated DOTP 2012's "10 shades of aggro :/".

Agreed completely.

Modding DOTP 2013 was something I did after I played the game to death, DLC and all, but still wanted more.

Modding DOTP 2014 is something I did to make the game bearable.

Garruk's decks are the ones I despise the most in every edition of DOTP, for having the most uninteresting gameplay.
To play against, AG. Very good deck, can win it quick or take it to late game, and really has no weakness any deck currently out can exploit, but it has answers to almost anything the other decks have. I hate it more than GG, because at least GG had match ups it fell below 50% in. Also, for some reason I never saw a massive amount of GG online; certainly not as often as AG, which is up to 31% of what I've played against 1v1.

Least favorite to play would have to be EtD. The deck is just clunky to play, doesn't flow at all, and can very easily screw itself over with a bad hand. It's got all the hallmarks of a very bleh deck. Slivers and Hunter's are close 2nd's for me though, but the occasional GeddonLoL in 2HG, and those 3/10 games when Hunter's actually curves out into an Enlarge put them above EtD.

This. I don't think AG is more overpowered than GG, but I see it alot more online and it's just so goddamn good and goddamn boring. It's especially disheartening when I'm trying new HS or EtD builds and every opponent you get are playing AG..
Like everyone else, I hate playing against the Big Three. AG is probably the worst, but they're all too overused and efficient to be fun. 

For using, the worst offenders have to be Chandra, slivers, and especially that damn dragon deck. I want that deck to work so badly, but I can't buy a win with that thing. So frustrating. 
No question at all the meta in this game is ultra boring atm. 10 decks just doesn't cut it with a game like this. There honestly should be 20 to start and 5 given out in two expansions. The way they do it now is just retarded imho and purely to milk people.

Take note Wiz I won't be buying your game ever again at launch. I feel others are in the same boat at least some.

I totally agree, the worst part is that wizards do not even hide that they are milking ppl. Every complaint is met with them advising us to try out Magic Online.....how about they release magic online on the consoles, and then release yearly sp content updates instead of making completely new games? Needless to say, I will not be buying the next DOTP on launch.

On-Topic:
I am so surprised that more hate is on AG than DW. My win/loss ratio against AG is pretty even. I have been able to beat that deck with almost any deck online. DW is the only broken brain-dead deck in here. Its overwhelmingly simple to build and play with, not to mention flexible. With AG, if your draws are not consistent, then it blows out of steam quickly, however, with DW, as long as you have a couple of monsters, you can stall forever.

My least favorite deck to play with is Firewave, because I feel like that deck requires a good amount of luck to win with.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
I'll admit I'm starting to like my EtD deck, it's not consistent but its hella fun when it works
I've played against AG 6 times in a row today. 6 times. Good lord. Here's what we need; a way to disallow certain decks in hosted rooms. (/rant)
Enter the Dracomancer works if you include all of the ramp and fails miserably if you do not.

2 + 2 = fish

I hate Mind Maze the most.

Turn 4 Lord of the Unreal + Phantasmal Image = your opponent auto wins. And the deck easily has the removal tools to keep any threat off the board until then.
Dracomancer for me. What a terrible deck. Nothing works consistently because it's three colors and lots of double or triple colors in the cost of a lot of spells (both multi or mono). The absence of an early game defense, no removal defense, and complex combos makes me lose most of the games I play this deck with.