Combat timing question

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Recently in a draft, I attacked with a Canyon Minotaur and my opponent blocked with a Festering Newt and another 1/1.  After combat resolved, the Newt did its thing and gave the Minotaur -1/-1, but in response to that triggered ability, I wanted to sacrifice the Minotaur to Barrage Of Expendables, but my opponent said I couldn't.

Was he correct ?  Thanks.
You are correct: You have the opportunity to respond to the Newt's triggered ability, and you can activate Barrage of Expendables (sacrificing the still-alive creature) before it resolves to kill your Minotaur.
Rules Nut Advisor
If the Canyon Minotaur survives the combat damage, then you are certainly able to respond to the Festering Newt's triggered ability by activating the Barrage of Expendables' ability by sacrificing the Minotaur. You were correct.

Level 3 DCI Judge Mission Viejo, CA

Thanks guys, I won the match anyways and I was pretty sure I could respond, but the clock was ticking and I didn't want to use up time getting the question resolved by the Judge.
in response to that triggered ability, I wanted to sacrifice the Minotaur to Barrage Of Expendables, but my opponent said I couldn't.

What did he say when you asked "Why?"

the clock was ticking and I didn't want to use up time getting the question resolved by the Judge.

In my experience, if you have to get up to get a Judge ruling (or wait for one), most Judges are happy to give you back the time you lost in the form of an extension.

~ Tim

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
in response to that triggered ability, I wanted to sacrifice the Minotaur to Barrage Of Expendables, but my opponent said I couldn't.

What did he say when you asked "Why?"

I realized that he was mixing up the old "Sac after damage" effect from the old rules with our situation and I tried to explain it to him, but I realized he just wasn't getting it and, really, I didn't think it mattered because he had no cards in hand and was topdecking just to stay alive and I had a few Pitchburn Devils and other removal in my hand already - I was pretty confident I had this game and I was more concerned about winning the match, as my opponent was kind of a slow player and had a deck with a lot of life gain (2 Congregates)

In my experience, if you have to get up to get a Judge ruling (or wait for one), most Judges are happy to give you back the time you lost in the form of an extension.

The Judge hasn't done this in the past, but then again, I don't think anyone has ever requested it.

If the game had been closer and that extra point of damage from Barrage really would have mattered, I would have called the Judge over and probably asked for an extension.

Sign In to post comments