Erebos God: Theros (Contest)

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Welcome back to another Theros contest.
I did another contest like this here: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...(Contest)

This one will be for the god, Erebos.
Here is how this will go. You submit a card that you think fits best for Erebos, I will give that 24-36 hours. Then we will go into the voting part of the competition. Anybody may vote up to 2 people, but you may not vote for your own.

The person with the most votes wins. 

If you don't know what the artwork for Erebos is, here it is.

[spoiler Artwork] [/spoiler]
You may begin. 
Old Design...

Erebos, Guardian of Souls
-- :BM::BM:
Legendary Creature - God (MR)

Enchanted creatures you control get +1/+1 for each creature card you own in exile.
Whenever a creature you control dies, you may exile it attached to target creature. If you do, that creature is considered enchanted.

"Embrace your ancestry, it is then that it will embrace you."
-Erebos' teachings-
6 / 6

==xx==

I really think the Gods will be much cooler than this. But I can't really think of anything that relates to a special border without being related to the draw step which I personally don't want to do given Miracles, so I made a titan variant.

Erebos, Guardian of Souls -- :BM::BM::BM:
God Creature - Erebos (MR)

Tribute - Exile three creature cards from your graveyard.
Enchanted creatures you control get +1/+1 for each creature you own in exile.
:BM:: Exile target creature from your graveyard attached to target creature. That creature is considered enchanted.

"Strip the body of its mortal confines, and only purity remains."
6 / 6

==xx==

How it works... When you cast Gods, they go to your command zone.
When you pay tribute, you move Gods from command zone to the Battlefield.
Their abilities work both from command zone and battlefield... but they cannot attack unless they are on the battlefield.
When Gods die or are exiled, you may put them in the command zone instead.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Remember!  the god frame has a p/t box!

Erebos
[] God
Deathtouch
At the beginning of your first end step, exile Erebos unless you sacrifice a land.
, : Target creature dies (it is put into its owner's graveyard.  This does not destroy the creature and the creature is not sacrificed.)
Incarnation - Activate Erebos' Incarnation only if there are 10 or more creature cards in all graveyards.
5/5

God Type
-Gods exist in the Command Zone and potentially the Battlefield
-Gods are effectivley legendary.  they legend-rule with all objects of the God type in your command zone.  If you have more than one god in play, you keep only one: name does not matter.
-At the beginning of the game, you may search your hand and library for up to one god card, reveal it, and put it into your command zone.  If you search your library, shuffle it.
-All gods are costless, but if somehow cast mid-game they enter the command zone as a new object, like a permanent entering the battlefield
-Gods have the "Incarnation" Ability.  Incarnation is an activated ability that makes the God a creature on the battlefield.  It's still a God in the command zone.  If a God would die, it ceases to be a creature instead (it's still a god in the command zone).  A God's power/toughness and any relevant abilities as a creature are printed on the God card.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Erebos, Night Effigy (Color: Black)
Legendary Creature - Deity

Tribute
Whenever a creature dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Erebos. Other creatures get -1/-1 for each +1/+1 counter on Erebos.

4/4

Tribute [cost] (You may, whenever you could cast a sorcery, sacrifice creatures AND auras attached to creatures with the same mana cost as this card (mana cost includes color). If you do, this card enters the battlefield from your sideboard. You may not maindeck a creature card with Tribute. Whenever a creature with Tribute would leave the battlefield, it goes to the sideboard.)

Is this too similar to Synchro Summoning from Yu-gi-oh? Maybe.
Tevish did you make those rules up or are they official because damn man you nailed it.  I love the "Incarnation" thing. I will not steal it....here...

Erebos, Twilght's Embrace
Divine Creature - Erebos
Creature cards can't be played.
Whenever a creature deals combat damage to a player, return that creature to it's owner's hand.
From shadows you were made, and to shadows shall you return. 
5/6

Divine creatures are unique.  Each player can only have one Divine creature on the battlefield at any one time.  If you control a Divine creature, you can't play another one. If a card would cause a Divine creature to enter the battlefield, instead it doesn't.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Erebos

Legendary Enchantment Creature - Avatar

When ~ is cast, exile it.
While ~ is exiled, creatures you control have deathtouch.
While ~ is on the battlefield, creatures you control get +2/+2 and have lifelink and deathtouch.
When ~ dies, exile it.
Invoke 6 (Tap 6 permanents you control that share a color with ~: return ~ to the battlefield from exile. Permenents tapped this way cannot be untapped until ~ leaves the battlefield.)

While you could have more than one Erebos in the exile zone, the effects don't stack and you can only have one in play at a time. 
reach
target damage
tap other
disarm
deflect
NO WAR

DOD replaces human label with terrorist Blood-Chin Fanatic

Sesame Street - Somebody Come And play

Tevish did you make those rules up or are they official because damn man you nailed it.  I love the "Incarnation" thing. I will not steal it....here...

Heh.  Made it up myself, but tried to intuit what reality might be.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Entropy
Reach, Vigilance
: do 1 damage to target creature. tap it,
  unattach an equipment attached to it,
  and counter it's activated or triggered ability.
1/4
NO WAR

Erebos, Lord of the Void
Legendary Creature - Deity
When you cast ~, return all creature cards in all graveyards to the battlefield under your control.
Lifelink, wither, protection from blue and red.
If ~ would be put into your graveyard or be exiled from anywhere, shuffle it into your library instead.
"On the third day, darkness fell across Theros, and the dead rose." -- Account of the Oracle
8/8

I just want to point out to the people saying you can only have one god at a time...
Given the Greekiness of the set, I HIGHLY doubt that will be a case. One out of a certain name for sure, but I feel like the gods would battle just like people, they'll just be more few and far between. Zeus and Poseidon could team up against Hades etc... I think flavorfully they wouldn't restrict gods to one per player.

Just my thoughts...
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
I just want to point out to the people saying you can only have one god at a time...
Given the Greekiness of the set, I HIGHLY doubt that will be a case. One out of a certain name for sure, but I feel like the gods would battle just like people, they'll just be more few and far between. Zeus and Poseidon could team up against Hades etc... I think flavorfully they wouldn't restrict gods to one per player.

Just my thoughts...

agreement-sauce

i don't know if there's been an announcement and i'm really out of the loop, but it's hard for me to imagine that the gods will be anything but legendary creatures
i just keep thinking they'll be more of the Eldrazi Titans
those three were already gods
I'm going to go the supertype route.  This definitely won't fit well in a standard-sized card box; but here goes!

Erebos, the Unmaking |
God Creature — Incarnation
~ has indestructible.
Deific Portfolio — Whenever a spell or effect you control would cause another player to lose any amount of life, discard any number of cards, or sacrifice any number of creatures, that player loses twice that much life, discards twice that many cards of the same type, or sacrifices twice that many creatures.
Grandeur — You may discard another card named Erebos, the Unmaking.  Target player loses 1 life, discards 1 card, and sacrifices 1 creature.
5/5

God supertype summarized rules:
You may only control one God at any time (yes, I read altimis's argument, I agree, but this was fun to design ).  As an SBA, if you control multiple Gods, choose one, and shuffle the rest into your library.

God template:
Gods each have indestructible, Deific Portfolio with 3 items, Grandeur, cost 5 mana of any one color, and are 5/5.

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com — A functioning forum

Just my thoughts...

It's a fair argument, but I personally disagree.  I think it could be justified as the Planeswalker not being able to serve more than one master -- at least, not well enough that they still reward the 'walker in question.

It was also a kind of essential balance consideration for my design, though I guess with costless and only being able to lay one down at the start, I might have been able to make Gods "merely" legendary-by-name

It was also a kind of essential balance consideration for my design, though I guess with costless and only being able to lay one down at the start, I might have been able to make Gods "merely" legendary-by-name

Realizing this is still part of a contest, I'm not stating anything about your design in particular.
I'm just pointing out that you're completely wrong, and I'm totally right. I even have the agreement sauce to prove it. 8^p

Nah, I just feel that the set really calls for it with the pantheon of gods. Your design, while not "commenting on it", fit as a design of a card, I just don't know if it fits for the set is all I'm saying. If that makes sense, I apologize if that comes off as conceited. Like I said with my post, I don't think mine really works with the set either. I jsut wanted something that kinda ties in with, as you probably noticed, the enchantment theme.

I personally think it will be another draw based mechanic, given the frame change, but it's also not so extreme as the miracles that it couuld warrant it. I mean, the bottom half of the card still had the swamp fram, the top/middle was different.
Yes it has the P/T box, but it could be something different (I doubt it, but it's a possibility). I kinda like the morph variant that someone stated somewhere, and think that could be something to represent them walking among the mortals. I just dunno what could warrant a special border while still being a creature-ish.
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Erebos, God of the Dead

Legendary Enchantment Creature-Avatar
When Erebos, God of the Dead enters the battlefield, if you cast it from your hand, destroy all creatures that aren't enchanted or enchantments.
4/9 
OOH snap! Utilizing a compilation of stuff to make a different submission.

Erebos, Guardian of Souls -- :BM::BM::BM:
God Creature - Erebos (MR)

Tribute - Exile three creature cards from your graveyard.
Enchanted creatures you control get +1/+1 for each creature you own in exile.
:BM:: Exile target creature from your graveyard attached to target creature. That creature is considered enchanted.

"Strip the body of its mortal confines, and only purity remains."
6 / 6

==xx==

How it works... When you cast Gods, they go to your command zone.
When you pay tribute, you move Gods from command zone to the Battlefield.
Their abilities work both from command zone and battlefield... but they cannot attack unless they are on the battlefield.
When Gods die or are exiled, you may put them in the command zone instead.
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Talking about your idea gave me an idea. 8^p
It's different than hypocrisy I swear!!!!
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Okay, Submissions are over.
Now for the voting part of this.
Remember, anybody may vote for up to 2 time, but you can't vote for your own.
24 hours for this. 
Erebos instant
Destroy target creature

reveal this card in your hand target creature gains deathtouch to end of turn

through another's hand or from my own,
 you will follow
NO WAR

I'll give this another 24 hours, hope somebody votes...
I usually have my voting period go for 2 days because some folk can't get on their computers regularly.

EternalUnreality was the only submission that didn't put me to sleep.
Everything else was so complicated I stopped reading after the first five minutes.

Magic is complicated enough when cards interact with one another, I shouldn't have to dedicated that much thought to one card by itself. 
I usually have my voting period go for 2 days because some folk can't get on their computers regularly.

EternalUnreality was the only submission that didn't put me to sleep.
Everything else was so complicated I stopped reading after the first five minutes.

Magic is complicated enough when cards interact with one another, I shouldn't have to dedicated that much thought to one card by itself. 

In our defense, it's not surprising in a contest that implies a new card type, we as self-styled designers would go out of our way to contribute something more original than just another creature.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Much as I want the God cards to be crazy and new, I have serious doubts they will be anything but just high-costed, mostly non-competitive (outside EDH), creatures.

So, for probably getting Erebos closest to correct (in my jaded view), my vote is for Koridian!

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com — A functioning forum

Bump
Sign In to post comments