A Few Cards

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just some random cards I came up with. Comments welcome.

Sandstorm Nomad
Creature - Human Nomad
Whenever ~ attacks, switch its power and toughness until end of turn.
The endless storm claims those unable to adapt.
0/3

Backdraft Elemental
Creature - Elemental
Haste, trample
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, it deals that much damage to you.
4/1

Aggressive Recruitment
Tribal Sorcery - Vampire
Destroy target creature. Its controller creates a 1/1 black Bat creature token with flying.
Take to the skies, and be free, for when the hunger calls, you will be back.
"Sandstorm Nomad" won't reward you enough for spending two cards and 4-5 mana to solve the puzzle, "Backdraft Elemental" sounds very strong in aggressive decks that can just ignore this drawback, "Aggressive Recruitment" was already printed in form of white cards like Afterlife..
"Sandstorm Nomad" won't reward you enough for spending two cards and 4-5 mana to solve the puzzle, "Backdraft Elemental" sounds very strong in aggressive decks that can just ignore this drawback, "Aggressive Recruitment" was already printed in form of white cards like Afterlife..

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the Sandstorm Nomad one. A single pump spell gives you 6 power on turn three. I agree with you on the other ones. The original design for Backdraft Elemental was this:

Backdraft Elemental
Creature - Elemental
Haste, trample
Whenever ~ deals damage to you, draw a card.
4/1

I didn't like how it read, though. The third one is a little uninspired, I admit.

Sandstorm Nomad
Creature - Human Nomad
0/3

I agree with you that all this spell needs is an easy pump.  However, I think I would at least make it a 1/3.  I don't see any reason why that would be overpowered and it removes the only sadness I feel about this card.  Aggressive red likes to attack, so this card would likely get passed over without being a 1/3.

Backdraft Elemental
Creature - Elemental
Haste, trample
4/1

This one is too good.  As mentioned, the only decks that will play it will be decks that either don't care about the drawback or cards that use the drawback to their advantage.  There was Flesh Reaver that had a very similar effect.  It wasn't as good as this card and it saw tournament play in suicide black.

Aggressive Recruitment
Tribal Sorcery - Vampire
Destroy target creature. Its controller creates a 1/1 black Bat creature token with flying.

As for originality, I see that as a moot point.  This card should cost to me.  It's flavorful, Afterlife has proven that it's not broken.  Just the drawback doesn't justify the drop in mana.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the Sandstorm Nomad one. A single pump spell gives you 6 power on turn three.

And that's relevantly different from 6 power on turn three from a Giant Growthed Kalonian Tusker or Brushstrider... how?

Getting a creature to 6 power on a turn 3 attack by spending a second card isn't broken; it's par for the course.
Because of layers your pump spell would always have to boost power too...wait kr is it toughness...see its very unintuitive.

Show

Sandstorm Nomad
Creature - Human Nomad
0/3

I agree with you that all this spell needs is an easy pump.  However, I think I would at least make it a 1/3.  I don't see any reason why that would be overpowered and it removes the only sadness I feel about this card.  Aggressive red likes to attack, so this card would likely get passed over without being a 1/3.

I'm fine with giving it a point of power. It was really intended as a combo piece, but I guess there's no reason for it to be useless without other cards.

Show
Backdraft Elemental
Creature - Elemental
Haste, trample
4/1

This one is too good.  As mentioned, the only decks that will play it will be decks that either don't care about the drawback or cards that use the drawback to their advantage.  There was Flesh Reaver that had a very similar effect.  It wasn't as good as this card and it saw tournament play in suicide black.

Agreed.

Show
Aggressive Recruitment
Tribal Sorcery - Vampire

As for originality, I see that as a moot point.  This card should cost to me.  It's flavorful, Afterlife has proven that it's not broken.  Just the drawback doesn't justify the drop in mana.

You think it should cost 3 even going from instant to sorcery?

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the Sandstorm Nomad one. A single pump spell gives you 6 power on turn three.

And that's relevantly different from 6 power on turn three from a Giant Growthed Kalonian Tusker or Brushstrider... how?

Getting a creature to 6 power on a turn 3 attack by spending a second card isn't broken; it's par for the course.

That's what I meant to say.

Because of layers your pump spell would always have to boost power too...wait kr is it toughness...see its very unintuitive.

This could be a problem. I'll have to rethink it.
I didn't notice the Instant vs. Sorcery thing.  Destroy target creature is a powerful effect for 2 mana that can be splashed.  I honestly would just shift Afterlife to black and make it the bat token instead.  But that's just me.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:

That's what I meant to say.

Having to jump through hoops like that should get you farther than just "par for the course." Valakut Fireboar plays very poorly, and, although cheaper, this card feels like a worse version. Without pump this is just a wall, and at 2 mana it should at least be a Wall of earth then it would be worth spending your pump spells on.

Level 1 Judge

Afterlife doesn't eliminate creatures, they're just replaced with a more innocent and less talented creature, and that's clearly white.. Seriously, would selfish black wizards compensate you for destroying your creature by giving you another one?
What's more dastardly than destroying something you love by transforming it into something else?  If it was dead you could at least let go, but now you'll be consumed with protecting it or trying to find a way to bring he/she back?

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
ColonialDragons wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:
Crib Swap + Beast Within + Pongify + Afterlife should remain non-black cards, while black simply destroys creatures and sometimes transforms them into its own mindless puppets..
Interesting. So for the Sandstorm Nomad, I should either give it some power so it's not so useless on its own, or make it something like a 0/5.

I'll probably just forget about the Recruitment spell. I was thinking of making a bunch of vampire cards, with something like:

Master of the Night
Creature - Vampire
Flying
When ~ etb, gain control of all Bats.
4/4

Something like that. Anyway, I tend to agree with cats about letting the other colors have effects like Afterlife, with black just getting pure removal.
Afterlife doesn't eliminate creatures, they're just replaced with a more innocent and less talented creature

Sorceress Queen has been in the business of turning threats into harmless creatures since Arabian Nights.
May as well post another card I wasn't sure about. I've used the name on a different card, but it fits here as well.

Simic Spore Fields
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, tap a creature at random.
Whenever a green or blue creature is tapped this way, draw a card.

Is this ? The random part doesn't seem to fit.
Seems to me.
Sign In to post comments