Sorcerer|Fighter: can it work?

48 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can a sorcerer|fighter hybrid that uses that the Cleave/Deft Hurler Style + sorcerer RBA trick to attack twice per turn work? This is how far I got: 

Pros: 
- You have an at-will multi-attack. One attack marks an enemy, the other hits for a lot of damage thanks to your sorcerer damage boost. 
- Possible to get a sorcerer MBA for Combat Challenge as well, although this requires a lot of hoop-jumping. 
- Stats work well enough (Str+Cha, which means you get to use Dragonborn support)
- Versatile build overall, with lots of choices for either upping your striker or defender potential. 

Cons:
- You either have to invest a lot of resources into your AC, or can't get sorcerer Soul support. 
- Weapliment issues.
- If you want a sorcerer MBA for Combat Challenge, you have to play a subpar race (either Shard-Kai or Revenant for access to Reaper's Touch)

Meh, like Throw and Stab, the inability to focus fire makes what would be a decent combo not worth talking about.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Or you could be Human and grab Ensorcelled Blade. E: but yeah, like so many options of its kind, it suffers from being forced to split its damage.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Fighter|Sorc works very well because of ESB as your MBA and FS AP CaGi.

Deft Hurler Cleave never works very well, people that try to build around it end up wasting too many resources on it. Both Fighter and Sorcerer are classes whose best powers are Standard Action Encounters, neither are really worth optimizing at-wills on.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Deft Hurler Cleave is only really worthwhile on the Swordchucker Slayer, and even then, it's not GOOD.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Cleave+Deft Hurler, no. Fighter|Sorc, yes.

You are spending HT: on Fighter Armor, never think otherwise.

From there it is a choice between Staff+Staff Expertise+Hafted Defense+Staff Fighting or Heavy Shield+Dagger

MC Warden for the extra mark and Sudden Roots if your DM provokes OAs.

Honorable Blade PP for easy access to elemental while maintaing a more useful weapon enchant.

Flame Spiral+CaGI is your AP opener. It will one-shot standards (3x Flame Spiral Taps+CaGI tap).

Lots of Sorc utilities to make you unhittable.

Lots of good options.
Thanks a lot everyone, very insightful replies. Almost seems like there should be an iconic build for this somewhere. 

From there it is a choice between Staff+Staff Expertise+Hafted Defense+Staff Fighting or Heavy Shield+Dagger.

I wouldn't make it quite slam dunk like that. There are some competitive options when you break it down:
Staff+Hybrid Talent for Hide+Hafted Defense+Staff Fighting = 3 feats for +5 to AC, +1 to Reflex.
Staff+Leather/Unarmored Agility+Hybrid Talent for Tempest+Staff Fighting = 3 feats for +4 to AC, +2 to Reflex, an untyped +1 bonus to hit with all attacks with the off-hand part of the staff, +2 to damage with the off-hand part when doing weapon attacks. I'd trade +1 AC for +1 to hit, +1 to Reflex and a bonus to my Fighter damage. Especially in Paragon+ when Staff Fighting is easiest to qualify for and AC becomes less relevant.

Ditto for Heavy Shield+Dagger. That's 1 feat for +5 AC, +2 to Reflex. But Tempest means +2 AC, +2 Reflex with a Rhythm Blade Short Sword or Dagger. Leather Armor is then +4 AC, +2 Reflex. So 1 feat and a few hundred gold for a -1 to AC, +1 to hit, +2 to damage to weapon attacks, and a bonus to physical skills. This isn't as valuable, but it isn't that far off.

Fighter|Sorc works very well because of ESB as your MBA and FS AP CaGi.

Why is Ensorcelled Blade all that valuable - you're doing a few extra points of damage in exchange for losing an at-will ranged option and it is one of those 'in place of' instead of 'it counts as' powers. You don't have a spell source, so no extra damage. Granted, better than your MBA from Str as a default, but that means giving up an RBA such as Acid Orb or Dragon Spray for when you have 3 targets to blast.

-----

Some other options:
Pick up MC Paladin for Divine Challenge, which then opens up Draconic Challenge, Weakening Challenge - all of which work really well with Honorable Blade.

A human Adroit Explorer can pick up Flame Spiral twice, CaGI once, and Eternal Tide Monk in Paragon. i.e. on AP combats, you get to uncork Flame Spiral twice and triple-tap a bunch of opponents by yourself.

(edited because math on staff was one off) 
I hadn't really considered it before, but the sorc|fighter looks like a pretty fun build.
"Staff+Leather/Unarmored Agility+Hybrid Talent for Tempest+Staff Fighting = "

I did not know that you could use UA with leather armor... feat states no armor or cloth armor... leather is leather... am I missing something?

I did not know that you could use UA with leather armor... feat states no armor or cloth armor... leather is leather... am I missing something?

He's saying either Leather or Unarmored Agility.
Ours is a world where people don't know what they want, and are willing to go through hell to get it. -Don Marquis

He's saying either Leather or Unarmored Agility.

Yup. +2 to AC from either feat.
This is probably un-optimal (and certainly un-original), but what about Eladrin Sorcerer|Fighter/Swordmage.

Fey Charge + Eladrin Swordmage Advance + Sorcerer MBA * 2

It is clearly outclassed by decent encounter powers, but it might be fun. 

Arguably, you could wield a dagger in your off-hand while you abuse Ensorcelled Blade with a Firewind Blade.  (Note the wording of Ensorcelled Blade:  You must be wielding a dagger... but it doesn't require that you use a dagger)

Scorpion Knight: High Armor, High Damage in Heroic Safe Haven: Stay near me and never get hit Eldritch Avenger: Crit Fishing at level 12, LFR friendly

Feycharge + ESA doesn't work, it was errated years ago because it was broken.  You can use either/or, though - ESA is probably more useful, given that it gives you an extra attack rather than just a teleporting charge.
This is probably un-optimal (and certainly un-original), but what about Eladrin Sorcerer|Fighter/Swordmage.

Fey Charge + Eladrin Swordmage Advance + Sorcerer MBA * 2

It is clearly outclassed by decent encounter powers, but it might be fun. 

Arguably, you could wield a dagger in your off-hand while you abuse Ensorcelled Blade with a Firewind Blade.  (Note the wording of Ensorcelled Blade:  You must be wielding a dagger... but it doesn't require that you use a dagger)

Semantics.  If a power requires that you are wielding a certain type of weapon, that means it is expected that you are using that type of weapon with the power.  Otherwise, all Rogue powers could be used with Executioner's Axe by wearing Wrist Razors at the same time. 

Semantics.  If a power requires that you are wielding a certain type of weapon, that means it is expected that you are using that type of weapon with the power.  Otherwise, all Rogue powers could be used with Executioner's Axe by wearing Wrist Razors at the same time. 

While I agree with you that the intent was to force the user of Ensorcelled Blade to cast the spell through the dagger, that is not what is written.  Some DMs play with the rules as written, others emply their own interpretations.  ETV.

A counter example is the fighter power Deflecting Sheild.  It require that you be using a shield, but most people don't interpret that you have to use the shield to deliever the blow if you have a longsword in the other hand.

The Rogue Sneak Attack feature, for example, requires that you make the attack with the dagger, not that you wield a dagger.  They could have worded Ensorcelled Blade this way. 

Of course, I may be ignoring some well written errata that was issued... I'm only looking in the compendium. 

Scorpion Knight: High Armor, High Damage in Heroic Safe Haven: Stay near me and never get hit Eldritch Avenger: Crit Fishing at level 12, LFR friendly

While I agree with you that the intent was to force the user of Ensorcelled Blade to cast the spell through the dagger, that is not what is written.  Some DMs play with the rules as written, others emply their own interpretations.  ETV.

Under one-handed weapons:
"A creature can carry a one-handed weapon in each hand, but doing so does not let the creature make extra attacks in a round. The creature must choose which of the weapons it is wielding when it makes a weapon attack."

So if you choose the dagger, you're not wielding the other weapon for purposes of the weapon attack...
That exact question was officially FAQed years ago. The FAQ has since been taken down because the exact element it was refering to was errata'd to not be amibigious enough to cause people to ask that question, but no reason to think the answer has changed. Doesn't work.

From there it is a choice between Staff+Staff Expertise+Hafted Defense+Staff Fighting or Heavy Shield+Dagger

Honorable Blade PP for easy access to elemental while maintaing a more useful weapon enchant.

Flame Spiral+CaGI is your AP opener. It will one-shot standards (3x Flame Spiral Taps+CaGI tap).

Lots of good options.

FS was nerfed about a year ago along with all the others of its ilk to be 1/turn.

Lots of good options.

FS was nerfed about a year ago along with all the others of its ilk to be 1/turn.

FS triple tap: 

1. Initial hit.
2. Pull enemy adjacent to you during your turn with CaGI.
3. Enemy starts its turn adjacent to you. 
Build seems a little MAD...esp if going Wis for Staff Fighting.  Looks like some different options based on how you are pumping AC.  Can't totally dump Str since need it for CaGi.  

Dragonborn pre-racial Str/Cha 16, Con 10, Dex 11, Int 8, Wis 13 seems to work.

Thoughts?
That's exactly the stat array you'd want to use.  I'm not sure how it appears MAD, though.  You still need strength for MBA and other fighter abilities besides CaGI, and it's not like 18/18 starting post-racial is bad.

Edit: Unless you mean MAD by its literal definition in that there are multiple abilities that you depend on.  I just typically read it as more of a light nerf to certain abilities in order to qualify for others, such as pumping WIS higher than normal on non-Wis-class polearm builds. 

Lots of good options.

FS triple tap: 

1. Initial hit.
2. Pull enemy adjacent to you during your turn with CaGI.
3. Enemy starts its turn adjacent to you. 

FS even got 3 + [amount of allies that apply forced movement on their own turns] taps.

And... since you're going Honorable Blade, just use Lightning + Mark of Storm for games that allow Dragonmarks and you don't need to AP CaGI fr your triple-tap.  It can obviously be done without Honorable Blade, it's just nice not to rely on a Lightning Weapon to do it.
That's exactly the stat array you'd want to use.  I'm not sure how it appears MAD, though.  You still need strength for MBA and other fighter abilities besides CaGI, and it's not like 18/18 starting post-racial is bad.

Edit: Unless you mean MAD by its literal definition in that there are multiple abilities that you depend on.  I just typically read it as more of a light nerf to certain abilities in order to qualify for others, such as pumping WIS higher than normal on non-Wis-class polearm builds. 

I'd remember that you don't necessarily have to do the same style all your life as long as your choices aren't that expensive in the long-term.

I'd probably start most Fighter|Sorcerers off as follows:
1: Hybrid Talent(Fighter Armor) - we want defender AC at 1st level, no ifs ands or buts, this solves that problem.
2: Versatile Expertise
4: Get a Rhythm Blade Dagger +1, retrain Hybrid Talent to Hybrid Talent(Tempest Technique), and get either Unarmored Agility or Leather Armor as a feat.

Some paragon level, 11, 12, or 14:
Retrain Versatile Expertise into Staff Expertise and take Staff Fighting at the same level if I wanted to go for Staff instead of Dagger.

What this allows is to start with the following stats:
Str/Cha 18, Dex 12, Wis 12

Which means the build would then qualify for Dual Implement Spellcaster in paragon as well.

"A creature can carry a one-handed weapon in each hand, but doing so does not let the creature make extra attacks in a round. The creature must choose which of the weapons it is wielding when it makes a weapon attack."

So if you choose the dagger, you're not wielding the other weapon for purposes of the weapon attack...

So consider the Ranger power Off-Hand Diversion:
Requirement: You must be wielding two melee weapons.
Attack: Strength vs. AC (off-hand weapon) 

Clearly, you are wielding both weapons when you are making this weapon attack, you don't pick to wield one and not wield the other.  This is despite the fact that you roll to hit and do the damage with the off-hand weapon.  You choose to wield both weapons, you attack with the off-hand one.

Ensourcelled Blade
Requirement: You must be wielding a dagger. 
Attack: Charisma vs. AC

Note that this power does note specify which weapon you attack with.  If you are wielding both a dagger and a sword while using Off-Hand Diversion, if you use Ensourcelled Blade with the same weapons in your hands you are still wielding both a dagger and a sword.

I don't disagree that this is not what is intended, I'm just arguing that your evidence is not quite enough to prove it.

So consider the Ranger power Off-Hand Diversion:
Requirement: You must be wielding two melee weapons.
Attack: Strength vs. AC (off-hand weapon) 

Clearly, you are wielding both weapons when you are making this weapon attack, you don't pick to wield one and not wield the other.  This is despite the fact that you roll to hit and do the damage with the off-hand weapon.  You choose to wield both weapons, you attack with the off-hand one.

General rule, specific exceptions - I didn't include the last sentence of the paragraph because it wasn't relevant to the rule - if you're making a weapon attack, you must pick one weapon that you are wielding. Unless it specifically requires the use of two weapons...

That's the next sentence:
"If a weapon attack power allows the use of two weapons, one of the weapons must have the off-hand property." 

Off-Hand Diversion allows the use of two weapons via the requirement. 

I'd remember that you don't necessarily have to do the same style all your life as long as your choices aren't that expensive in the long-term.

I'd probably start most Fighter|Sorcerers off as follows:
1: Hybrid Talent(Fighter Armor) - we want defender AC at 1st level, no ifs ands or buts, this solves that problem.
2: Versatile Expertise
4: Get a Rhythm Blade Dagger +1, retrain Hybrid Talent to Hybrid Talent(Tempest Technique), and get either Unarmored Agility or Leather Armor as a feat.

Even at 7th level, the HT: Fighter Armor still giving out 23 AC (using scale) which was higher than the other options.  Taking Hafted Defense now gives AC 24 and saves a retrain later.  Plus I like gleaming armor for the concealment if you end up surrounded and are hit.

Hide will actually give more AC. You can use Str for AC as a hybrid Sorc, remember. Especially if you pick up an Elven Chain Shirt at some point.
+3 hide +2 enchant +4 sorc str AC vs +8 drake scale +2 enchant

At level 8 you get a stat bump, which makes it even. Elven Chain Shirt will put you universally ahead, but the reality of 4e is that light armor users have better support. The highest AC builds all use light armor.

At level 8 you get a stat bump, which makes it even. Elven Chain Shirt will put you universally ahead, but the reality of 4e is that light armor users have better support. The highest AC builds all use light armor.

Or as an example, with Tempest and Leather:
+2 Leather or Unarmored Agility, +2 enchant, +4 sorc str, +2 shield(TWF+ a +1 Rhythm Dagger) and
+2 Reflex from Shield bonus
+1 to hit with all attacks
+2 damage with weapon attacks

Costs an extra feat, but it is comparable to the +8 drake scale/+2 enchant before the stat bump or the elven chain coming up next two levels. And the untyped +1 to hit is almost certainly worth a feat in and of itself long-term.

Or as an example, with Tempest and Leather:
+2 Leather or Unarmored Agility, +2 enchant, +4 sorc str, +2 shield(TWF+ a +1 Rhythm Dagger) and
+2 Reflex from Shield bonus
+1 to hit with all attacks
+2 damage with weapon attacks

Costs an extra feat, but it is comparable to the +8 drake scale/+2 enchant before the stat bump or the elven chain coming up next two levels. And the untyped +1 to hit is almost certainly worth a feat in and of itself long-term.

Pre-paragon stat boost to Wis 13 for Staff Fighting: what is your recommended set-up for tempest, double dagger? 

In heroic like staff of ruin for the damage bump to the implement powers. But pre-staff fighting you can't wield the staff as a weapon one-handed so no tempest until staff fighting.  Is there an assumption the staff is wielded as an improvised weapon?

Hence the scale and two handed staff.  Only down the extra +1 to hit which could make up with an accurate staff.   So the difference is mostly a wash.

@Alcestis:  it's not so much that light armor has better feat support as light armor+static bonus feat tax+stat eventually ekes ahead of the heavy armor (which does have a masterwork bump sto keep it tied for awhile) as it is due to the fact the stat piece scales on the light armor side.  Builds that start with 18-19 is the AC-providing stat often don't see the light armor get ahead until even mid-paragon sometimes.  ECS does change the equation now...at least until there is some power creep on the heavy armor side ;P

Thanks for the comments.

Hence the scale and two handed staff.  Only down the extra +1 to hit which could make up with an accurate staff.   So the difference is mostly a wash.

Not really.

Tempest, at the cost of 1 feat, grants +6 AC(+4 Str, +1 TWD, +1 Rhythm Blade Dagger), +2 Ref, +1 to hit, and finally +2 to damage with weapon attacks. Using a Staff with Scale grants +7 AC(Scale). When you're buying Staff Expertise, he's buying Unarmored Agility.

So +8 AC(+4 Str, +1 TWD, +1 Rhythm Blade Dagger, +2 Unarmored Agility), +2 Ref, +1 to hit, +2 to weapon damage) at the cost of 2 feats.
vs
+7 AC, +1 to hit, no provoking(but Flame Spiral and Fighter powers don't provoke), and reach with melee attacks(but Come And Get It is not a melee attack) at the cost of 2 feats.

Now at 7th level, you do get the benefit of +1 AC due to masterwork +2 armor, which puts you at the same AC, but you're still down the +2 Ref and the +2 to weapon damage(which actually translates into a +1 to hit with weapon attacks due to dagger being +3 and staff +2). I'd rather have the +2 Ref and extra weapon damage than the lack of provoking or reach any day of the week. And you'll get dinged again once the stat bonus and elven chain come around. It is definitely not a wash. Just Scale is clearly inferior to Hide or Tempest+Leather.

Shield+Dagger is another story, though.
What's the stat array if you go human?  
IF you really want to go human, STR should get the +2. CaGi ist essential to get your foes close, and the "move or start adjacent" taps of Flame Spiral are hit independent. Plus, if you want to go with Hide, STR adds to AC.
IF you really want to go human, STR should get the +2. CaGi ist essential to get your foes close, and the "move or start adjacent" taps of Flame Spiral are hit independent. Plus, if you want to go with Hide, STR adds to AC.

Human can work out reasonably well. A Fighter|Sorcerer MC Monk(Eternal Tide) Adroit Explorer can reliably uncork this per combat(especially upon gaining the extra AP at 16th):
Flame Spiral+Come And Get It
Flame Spiral+Eternal Tide Flurry of Blows for a pull 1 and some damage.

Which given that the targets are marked by CaGI on the first round, creates a lot of problems for the targets getting away from the Ftr|Sorc for the 2nd round of it(where the Ftr|Sorc can just shift away from his opponents, do Flame Spiral, and on a hit, pull 2 targets)
I have a question about a rules interaction (specifically regarding getting a Sorcerer level damage MBA for Combat Challenge punishment, which was talked about earlier in the thread).

If you were to be looking for a Striker-level MBA, would it have to be Ensorcelled Blade, or if you had Sorcerous Blade Channeling, could you use one of the powers (Dragonfrost, for example) that can be used as an RBA, converted to a melee attack through SBC? 
I have a question about a rules interaction (specifically regarding getting a Sorcerer level damage MBA for Combat Challenge punishment, which was talked about earlier in the thread).

If you were to be looking for a Striker-level MBA, would it have to be Ensorcelled Blade, or if you had Sorcerous Blade Channeling, could you use one of the powers (Dragonfrost, for example) that can be used as an RBA, converted to a melee attack through SBC? 

SBC doesn't convert RBAs to MBAs.

Note also that EB isn't actually an MBA- it can be used in place of one, but if you have things that give specific bonuses for MBAs (Bracers of Mighty Striking, for example), they don't work with it. 

As said above, doesn't work.

Reaper's Touch does what you want, tho. But the opportunity cost of being (Revenant) Shadar-kai and having to spend a feat is hardly worth it, since you already have ESB.
Actually, that cost is extremely worth it.

I normally avoid pointing out stuff that's horribly rules abusive, but Reaper's Touch is horribly worded and turns Dragonfrost into a Range 10 or Melee Touch RBA or MBA. The Melee range isn't tied to it being a MBA nor is the Range 10 tied to it being a RBA, you can RBA from melee range (I guess if you have a Shaman?) and ... you can MBA at Range 10. That means CC punishment that pushes at range 10.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.