Enlarge Spell Feat

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
This question has probably already been answered, but I was curious what y'all thought about an idea that I have. I plan on taking the Enlarge Spell feat, and it states that you can trade a -2 to each die result for an increase in burst or blast size of 1. My question is, could I continue to do this. Do y'all think it is reasonable to take another -2 to each die to increase a power's burst or blast size by another 1?

My current opinion is no, but I haven't found a solid way to justify that opinion.
You can't enlarge a burst/blast by more than 1 with Enlarge Spell.
You can't enlarge a burst/blast by more than 1 with Enlarge Spell.

I agree, but why?
Because feats that can be taken multiply times say so and usually have the proviso that you can pick something else to apply it to (like, for example, weapon proficiency).
Because feats that can be taken multiply times say so and usually have the proviso that you can pick something else to apply it to (like, for example, weapon proficiency).

He isn't talking about taking the feat more than once. He is talking about using the effect of the feat more than once on a single spell. So increase by, -2 to each die. Then do it again. And again. Etc.

Reason you can't: Because language. Things that are iterative in 4e are worded a certain way.
"Before using a wizard at-will or encounter attack power, you can choose to take a -2 penalty to each die of damage rolled with the power to increase the size of its blast or its burst by 1.
    You can’t use this feat on a power that doesn’t roll dice for damage."

It makes no mention of being able to do so multiple times, or having a limit on how many applications you can make.  It also does not mention if the dice penalty can exceed the dice size.  Without text leading to such an idea, it is purely your speculation.  I don't think a frezzing burst ( or winged horde) attack with a size of burst 4, was ever intended.  It would be gamebreaking. 
You can't stack the same game element's benefits or penalties, if the game element doesn't explicitly say so. That's all.
Sign In to post comments