Symbol of Tethyr?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm currently running an online game, theatre of the mind style, on Youtube.   It's called Secrets of the Wealdath and is based in Tethyr in 1370 DR.  I've done some searching but can't find an official symbol for Tethyrian forces.   Is there one?

If not, my idea was to have it be a combination of a quill and a star; representing Hadraek and Zaranda respectively.
I can't think of one offhand.  It was my impression that they flew the banner of the noble they fought under, with royal troops probably being the only ones actually using the royal badge.  There aren't really all that many truly organized, much less centralized militaries (in a modern context anyway) in Faerun, with Waterdeep, Banite Zhents, and Cormyr being pretty glaring exceptions.  Feudal organization, a word I use lightly here, was much more common from what I've read.

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

The only thing I could find on it is this little bit from "the Ecology of the Sea Lion" from Dragon Magazine # 107:

"“Ye remember the arms of Tethyr that I showed ye some time ago?” I did, and recalled aloud (as I pulled Elminster’s sketch from my files) that there were sea lions in that coat of arms. Elminster nodded again."

I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
Which if you are observant, is illustrated on page 84 of the Lands of Intrigue's Tethyr book, and also mentioned in there somewhere.  Probably why it was called the Lion's Dynasty... 

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

Which if you are observant, is illustrated on page 84 of the Lands of Intrigue's Tethyr book, and also mentioned in there somewhere.  Probably why it was called the Lion's Dynasty... 

Well, why didnt you mention that 2 days ago!?
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
Because a Royal badge isn't necessarily the same as a troop standard, unless they are specifically royal troops.  Tethyr ain't Cormyr silly. 

- Oscar Wilde

Well, no its not, Cormyr actually has an official, published coat of arms, and I beleve quite a few of the nobles of Cormyr have had their heraldic devices depicted, They really need to give us more coat of arms of the various nations, city-states, and organisations of the Realms, aint it about time we got a Herald's sourcebook!?
Quite a few of them have been described and even illustrated, though not nearly as many as any of us would like.  As to the herald's having their own sourcebook, it would be awesome, as the closest thing we have was a section in the 2e Code of the Harpers and some bits in 3e Power of Faerun, both woefully short on in-depth details.

- Oscar Wilde

Sign In to post comments