You Make the Card of the Week: (7-23 to 7-29)

76 posts / 0 new
Last post
I think my mind works in circles, cause I always revisit old thoughts.

Rules and Information

1. Anybody may join at any time.

2. One card per post. Exception: If both criterias for a week are active at the same time, you may post up to two cards per post.

3. You may post multiple entries, but not one after the other (wait for somebody else to post before making your next post).

4. No Un-cards, please.

5. There will be at maximum two criterias per week.

6. There won't be any actual grades, just a Top 5 and maybe some comments.

7. The winner of each criteria will earn my nomination for this week's Card of the Week.

1st Criteria: CLOSED
But this is what it was...
Make a card that adds mana to a mana pool as a cost.

2nd Criteria: CLOSED
But this is what it was...
Make a card with a new "deals damage in the form of {something}" or "damage dealt by this also causes {effect}" ability. It does not have to be keyworded.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Winner's Circle

1st Criteria
Spiritbreaker -- :RM::RM:
Creature - Elemental (R)

Whenever a nonland source adds mana to a player's mana pool, Spiritbreaker deals 2 damage to that player.
:T:, Add :RM: to your mana pool: Spiritbreaker deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
2 / 2

2nd Criteria
Temporal Abomination :U::U:
Creature - Horror
All creatures have vanishing.
~ deals damage to creatures in the form of time counters.
3/4 

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)

After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

I am Black/Green

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Level 1 Judge

Cylian Solarch 
Creature - Elf Shaman
Vigilance, protection from black
As an additional cost to cast Cylian Solarch, add to your mana pool.
You may spend colourless mana in your mana pool as if it were white, red, or green mana.
1/3
"Waaah there's a few cards I don't like in the latest set! This game sucks now! Everything should just always stay the same because I'm threatened by change! I'm going to quit! I'm quitting! SOMEONE PAY ATTENTION TO MEEEE" - approximately 10% of MtG players on all forums, ever. Read my thoughts, feed my ego! - www.tzaphiel.wordpress.com I'm also a writer! Search for "Gareth Topping" on Amazon!
Oops, forgot to put a subtitle this week...

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

Stormbreaker

Instant

Cast Stormbreaker only with mana from sources other than Stormbreaker.
As an additional cost to cast Stormbreaker, add X mana in any combinations of color to your mana pool, where X is the storm count.

Reset the Storm count to 0.
56544366 wrote:
If a card works well in Standard, does fun but not totally broken things in Modern, and gets stupid in Legacy, I call that designing for everyone's enjoyment.
Mana-Pulse Generator
Artifact
Add to your mana pool, : Until end of turn, players can't play spells. As long as this ability is on the stack, you can't cast spells or activate abilities that aren't mana abilities.
At end of each phase, Mana-Pulse Generator deals 1 damage to each player for each mana in his or her mana pool.
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
Life's Wheel  
Instant
Add to your mana pool.
Put a 1/1 Saproling ceature token onto the battlefield, then put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.
At the beginning of an endstep if you control a saproling token and a creature died this turn return ~ to your hand from the graveyard.
You can only cast this spell once each turn.

"When it eventually comes for me I'll welcome it with open arms as life springs from my withering flesh." - Grezal, golgari purist

--------------

I was trying to think of something then became inspired by Savra, Queen of the Golgari's flavor text.
Mana Stasis 

Enchantment

As an additional cost to cast ~, add three mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool.
Mana pools don't empty at the end of phases.
Mana can't be added to mana pools.
: Sacrifice ~.
Dawnfury Warhorse (P)(P)(P)(P)
Creature-Horse Spirit

As an additional cost to cast this card, add , , , , or to your mana pool.

If no life was used to cast Dawnfury Warhorse, it gains Vigilance, Flying, Deathtouch, Haste, and Trample.

5/5

~+~

My first ever attempt at making my own card.  Apologies if it's ridiculously overpowered.  Here's hoping they reintroduce the Phyrexian Mana symbol sometime soon!

Spiritbreaker -- :RM::RM:
Creature - Elemental (R)

Whenever a nonland source adds mana to a player's mana pool, Spiritbreaker deals 2 damage to that player.
:T:, Add :RM: to your mana pool: Spiritbreaker deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
2 / 2
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Adamant Flamecaller -
Creature - Elemental Shaman
Add to your mana pool, : You can't cast spells until the beginning of your next turn. Activate this ability only at anytime you could cast a sorcery.
1/2
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Light's Shadow
Instant
Cast ~ only during your opponents upkeep.
Destroy all creatures your opponents control, your opponents then
add X mana of any combination of colors to their mana pool
where X is equal to the number of creatures destroyed this way.

Under the citadel's shadow the charging army melted into the land.

---------

I took note that the 1st criteria is "a mana pool" not specifically "your mana pool".
Glacial Heart
Snow Land
Cumulative Upkeep - Add to your mana pool

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

I took note that the 1st criteria is "a mana pool" not specifically "your mana pool".

You should also take note that it's "as a cost" not "as an effect."

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

You should also take note that it's "as a cost" not "as an effect."

Ah noted, my brain kept blending "as a cost" and "drawback" as being the same thing while this is something mechanical in the wording of the cards.
I'm new to this kind of stuff so I'm still learning the technical details.
Unstable Reactor
Artifact
Add to your mana pool: ~ deals damage to each player equal to the amount of mana in their mana pools.

Sacrifice ~: Target opponent gains all mana in your mana pool, then ~ deals damage to each player equal to the amount of mana in their mana pools.
"Their hopes dashed on our shields! Their victory slashed by our swords!"
Eternal Lotus

Artifact
, Add 3 mana of any one color to your mana pool: At the beginning of the next end step, you lose the game.
While the Lotus is everlasting, those who partake of its power seldom are.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Essence Graft
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equip - add to your mana pool.
Whenever CARDNAME becomes attached to a creature, that creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.

Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Unrestful Flesh -
Sorcery
Choose one - Put two 2/2 black Zombie creature tokens into play or each Zombie deals 3 damage to its controller. 
Entwine - Add to your mana pool.
From nothing came teeth.
Spell Insurance 
Enchantment (U)
Spells you cast have "As an additional cost to cast this spell, add to each opponent's mana pool."
Whenever an opponent counters a spell you cast, draw two cards.
Are your spells in good hands?
Bloodfire Ritual

Instant
You lose 2 life
Buyback - add to your mana pool

Feedback Flaremage -
Creature - Goblin Shaman
Add to each opponent's mana pool, : ~ deals damage to each opponent equal to the amount of mana he or she has in his or her mana pool.
2/1 
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Bump this up to page 1, see if we can't squeeze a few more entries out of this criteria before I pick top 5 later tonight.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

Godmode  5WWW

Enchantment

Shroud

When this card enters the battlefield opponents discard their hands and lose life equal to the converted mana cost of said card.

While this card is in play the player that controls it may ignore state-based effects.

Whenever your opponents would draw a card they may choose to sacrifice a land, if they do they may draw the card.

During your upkeep this card does three damage to it's controller, if his life total is ever negative two he may choose to win the game.

"After God said let there be light, he said let them experience the power of the Almighty, so they shall know me when I return for them".

Genesis- The Lost Verses
Mana Igniter :1M::RM:
Creature - Goblin Shaman

Echo: Add :RM::RM::RM::RM:

Whenever a player adds mana from a nonland source, Mana Igniter deals 1 damage for each mana that player added to that player.

1/2
Mishra's Laboratory
Land
Cumulative Upkeep: Add :1M: to your mana pool
Mana produced by Mishra's Laboratory can only be used to cast artifact spells.
Mana produced by Mishra's Laboratory doesn't empty from your mana pool as steps and phases end.
And the beginning of your end step or whenever Mishra's Laboratory leaves the battlefield, Mishra's Laboratory deals damage to you equal to the amount of mana in your mana pool.

Basically, a cross between Braid of Fire (in its original Mana-burn-threat form), Omnath, Locus of Mana, and Mishra's Workshop.
Mananova Elemental |
Creature - Elemental
As an additional cost to cast ~, target opponent adds three mana to his mana pool in any combination of colors of his choosing. That player may cast their next spell as though it had flash.

When ~ enters the battlefield, it deals 3 damage to each other creature.

The mountain erupted in a flash and I swore I was dead. But then when I could see again, I wished I was, seeing the ashes of my allies blowing in the wind.
3/3
Puresteel players unite! [Archetype] PURESTEEL
Whew, I knew this was in the rules somewhere.
Show
601.2g The player pays the total cost in any order.

Goblin Recruits |
Creature — Goblin (U)
Haste, Persist
As an additional cost to cast ~, add to your mana pool.
If mana added to your mana pool by ~ was spent to pay its cost, it enters the battlefield with a -1/-1 counter.
"Yes, the Goblins do pour unendingly out of every crevice of the hills; lucky for us, they're stupid enough to forget their own heads if they weren't attached.  Luckier for us, their weapons aren't attached."
—Gerrard Capashen
2/2

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com — A functioning forum

Justice For All
Instant
Destroy target nonwhite creature and add to your mana pool. That mana doesn't empty from your mana pool as steps and phases end. Spend that mana only to pay costs that contain . You can't cast white spells for as long as that mana remains in your mana pool.

I think i found some very interesting space with this

this might cause memory issues as worded so here is a better wording

The biggest Vorthos Ever I'd rather have an awesome mechanic than the most flavor any day. Constantly coming up with cards all the time. So if you see a card you like tell me. Constantly trying to get into card of the week if you see a card you like please nominate.

Redeemer of Souls
Creature - Human Cleric
, , Add any amount of mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool: Return target creature you control whose mana cost is exactly that mana to its owner's hand.
Through faith and devotion we may be saved and redeemed. 
2/2
Blightsower
Creature: Zombie Shaman
Add one mana of any color to your opponents mana pool, : Deal 1 damage to target opponent for each mana in their mana pool.
It takes joy in the rot he grows.
Now I want to do an Un-Design:

Elitist Victory -- :GM::GM:
Sorcery (R)

As an additional cost to cast Elitist Victory, add a specific amount of mana to your mana pool. This mana doesn't empty from your mana pool as steps and phases and games end.
For the rest of your life, you can't add mana to your mana pools.
You win the game.

"Why only 19 mana?"
"I have a hunch that they'll bring back mana burn..."

Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Manachant Exuberant

Creature-Human Shaman
:R:, target opponent adds :R::R: to their mana pool at the beginning of their next main phase: Draw a card.
2/1

Nah, that could be an effect.

Mana Burn

Instant (R)
Mana Burn does damage to each player equal to the mana in his or her mana pool.
If Mana Burn was kicked, add :R::R::R: to each other player's mana pool.
Kicker -  
Dredgling Termites :XM::XM::BM:
Creature- Insect
As an additional cost to Dredgling Termites, you lose X life. 
When Dradgling Termites enter the battlefield, put X 1/1 black termite creature tokens onto the battlefield and add black mana to your mana pool equal to the amount of life you lost this turn.
Evoke :XM::BM:
They come and go, but not before leaving disaster.
1/1

Pyromancer's Premonition

Instant

You may cast Pyromacer's Premonition by adding to your mana pool.  If you do, you lose the game at the beginning of your next upkeep unless you pay

"I don't really get deja vu, I just see fires I haven't started yet" ~Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
Return target non-creature permanent to its owners hand and add to your mana pool. That mana doesn't empty from your mana pool as steps and phases end. Spend that mana only to pay costs that contain . You can't cast green spells for as long as that mana remains in your mana pool.

The biggest Vorthos Ever I'd rather have an awesome mechanic than the most flavor any day. Constantly coming up with cards all the time. So if you see a card you like tell me. Constantly trying to get into card of the week if you see a card you like please nominate.

Top 5 (for Criteria 1)

Habreno's Stormbreaker--I like this. It's an interesting "storm counter." It's also the first card to actually have a clause that prevents you from using the mana produced by itself to cast itself.

AlienFinger's Mana-Pulse Generator--Decent method for bringing back mana burn.

Altimis's Spiritbreaker--Finds a new use for Spectral Searchlight.

ConfusedAsUsual's Feedback Flaremage--Who doesn't like burn? (actually, I don't like burn...)

EternalUnreality's Goblin Recruits--While it doesn't prevent you from using the mana it produces to cast itself, it is a nice drawback on the card (given the abilities that were used). Although it seems a little underpowered if it pays for itself...typically, a 1/1 haste (with no other abilities) costs 1 mana. This gives you a 1/1 haste for 2 mana or a 2/2 persisting haster for 3 mana and a refund of 1. But one of the difficult things about producing mana as a cost is balancing it out properly. I figure this is close enough, as most 1/1 hasters that have an extra ability do cost 2 mana, and if this guy survives his first turn there are more than enough methods for getting a +1/+1 counter on him or removing the -1/-1 counter some other way. Or even preventing the counter from being put there to begin with.

Nomination Proclamation
Altimis's Spiritbreaker

Criteria 2: Make a card with a new "deals damage in the form of {something}" or "damage dealt by this also causes {effect}" ability. It does not have to be keyworded.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

I like the feel of that Godmode card!

It seems like it's touching all kinds of new territory and interactions.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Gluttonous Vampire

Creature - Vampire
Damage dealt by Gluttonous Vampire also causes that many +1/+1 counters to be placed on it.
1/1

I like the feel of that Godmode card!

It seems like it's touching all kinds of new territory and interactions.

Yeah! Too bad it didn't follow the criteria.

Also, it broke rule 4.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

Sign In to post comments