You Can't Beat Machamp! [24hr Challenge]

44 posts / 0 new
Last post
So...I was just going over this thread and it's left me feeling like I need to address a few things. 

Mainly, I just wanted to ask, four years later—how does everyone still feel about all that? I made a pretty bold statement (said in true Chris Jericho style), "you will never, EVER be as cool and awesome, and as great a designer as me..." but I couldn't just make a statement like that, I've had to back it up! Otherwise, it would just be an empty statement (with the shame of not living up to it beating down on me).

So what I want to ask now is...does anyone still disagree? Halfway through Best of Bloodlines, after Mythgard, the Deity System—and an endless wave of hit after hit singles—does anyone feel like the crown is not mine?

Well, if you feel like that champion is you—this is your chance to prove it. Throw down whatever you've got and explain your greatness, then I'm going to unleash my potential to best whatever you throw at me.

Any design, any concept.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

you're BankaiMastery????????
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
Machamp?

Haunter, I choose you!

Fixing Haunt

So, the Haunt mechanic is kind of lame in its execution -- haunt creatures all have effects when the enter the battlefield or the creature they haunt dies, haunt spells just repeat themselves when their victim goes away.

But the tech for haunt could be so much more...  What if it were brought back as a "geist" mechanic for Innistrad?

Geistclutch

Sorcery
Target creature gets -2/-2
Haunt
The creature Geistclutch haunts gets -2/-2

But that's only the beginning!  That still effectivley "repeats" its ability, how about something more different

Aerial Spirits

Creature - Spirit
Flying, Haunt
If you control the creature Aerial Spirits haunts, it gains flying.  Otherwise, it loses flying

Rage of Lost Souls

Instant
Rage of Lost Souls deals 3 damage to target creature or player
Haunt
The creature Rage of Lost Souls haunts has First Strike

Spirit of Ancient Wilds

Creature - Spirit Wolf
Haunt
The creature Spirit of Ancient Wilds haunts is a werewolf in addition to its other types and has "At the beginning of each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, this creature gets +2/+2 and has intimidate until end of turn."
2/2

Phobia

Sorcery
Target player discards a card
Haunt
When the creature Phobia haunts dies, return Phobia to the battlefield transformed
//
Walking Nightmare
{} Creature - Spirit Horror
Intimidate
When Walking Nightmare deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card at random
2/2

(No real challenge... it's hard to rival a body of work in a 24-hour thread.  But, I had to follow up on the Haunter joke)

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Wait, so we're going to enter a contest, judged by you, to decide if we are better than you?
I'll bite.

Into Mind 
Sorcery
Each player merges their hand zone with the battlefield
"Enter a world of delusions and daydreams. Enter a world absent of of logic and reasoning. Enter a world where gods are slaves to dreams and we alone stand above them all."

Metallica - King Nothing (Video)
NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

I'm afraid you're going to have to actually explain what makes your design special. As I stated, you can't just make an empty post like what I see here. If any of you take this challenge seriously or not doesn't really bother me either. It's not like I don't already prove myself time and time again—on a regular basis—everytime I throw down in one of your contest threads.

Really, I just wanted to everyone to look back on themselves four years and ago; expecting some would judge their past-self (as though it was a different person). It's a tricky way to get someone to pick out their own flaws (in hopes of seeing someone has actually matured since then); or will look at it, see the error of their ways, and change themselves now because of it.

I'll extend this contest into endless time. Whenever you want to test your might against mine, be my guest. Once I see a legitimate post, I'll respond with my own.

It's not like I don't already prove myself time and time again—on a regular basis—everytime I throw down in one of your contest threads.

So, um... How many of those contests have you won?
Bifurcated Bolt
Instant
~ deals three damage to two different target creatures and/or players.

Elegance is key. Whats better than a single Lightning Bolt? Two.
Who is going to judge whether the challengers are better than you?
Your honesty in those contests isn't a testament against the reality of my designs, it could just mean that you're not giving credit where credit is due. When you make a statement like that, it doesn't mean that I shouldn't have won; that is what you appear to be insinutating with your comment there infinight, but that's not at all the case when you take what I just mentioned about legitimacy into speculation.

I'm also afraid you're going to have to put in more effort than that. A simple statement doesn't meet the minimum requirements here. Even at an eye's glance, this has been confirmed to be a contest about greatness—that is/has always been, measured in volume and density. It is the measure of greatness that qualifies as greatness; even when that measure is actually the absense of something else (like aggravation). It should be common sense that this contest about putting forth a great effort as a show of your prowess. Yet as I said, if any of you take this contest seriously or not doesn't really bother me any.

Regardless if they confess it or not to others, within each person exists a measure of honesty with themselves. That is what I shall leave it to. Each person can look at their own design, then look at mine—and realize...that I am riding a horse. They will never be able to escape the fact that my design truly appears to be greater than theirs in their own eyes.

MGE me bro

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl

Regardless if they confess it or not to others, within each person exists a measure of honesty with themselves. That is what I shall leave it to. Each person can look at their own design, then look at mine—and realize...that I am riding a horse. They will never be able to escape the fact that my design truly appears to be greater than theirs in their own eyes.

So, even if I create a card that I, and others, agree is better than yours, there isn't anything to convince you that I am better?  I am happy to compete with you, but I won't if there's no realistic prospect of you admitting defeat.
Oh gosh. Well, I'm a better designer and there are a ton of designers better than I on this forum. I think that you and I are on a similar level. We both have fleeting moments of genius. I just have them more often. Designers like Ephemeron, Mown, Tyranno, and certainly several others operate in that space nigh constantly.

The problem I think is that we have different goals. There is a discrepancy. I want to create cards with the strangest possible flavour that punish players and make the game completely asinine. I like to think that I succeed some of the time. You like to make renders of ridiculously-boobed power-houses that would be banned in most-if-not-all formats. I applaud your success.

However, if you ever want to have a reasonable duel, I'll gladly accept. By "reasonable," I mean "Judged by a panel of impartial users with a criterion (or criteria) chosen by those users."

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Funny how you mention that reality is like gravity.  I agree.

Reality is relative, and resists your newtonian attempts to oversimplify it.

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
he he he...

Well, I suppose I can play along.

Because of how little it has been experienced and studied, Planeswalker design is often considered to be one of the hardest aspects of design (along with the likes of innovating with commons).  Creating a good and not broken Planeswalker is a very difficult thing to do indeed, and that's when you're working with an origional character who serves as nothing more than a lable upon mechanics.

Urza, meanwhile, is one of the most interesting and dynamic characters the storyline has produced.  His nuance defies an easy sense of color identity.  Both his character and his powerset are ecclectic, so much so that it would be difficult for any card to convey the core of Urza-ness, even as he was before he ascended.  He has different traits that all compete with each other, straining for design space.  Because, for Urza Planeswalker to be printable, his rules text must weigh in at about 400 characters or less.

This is my challenge to you, GM Champion: Urza, Planeswalker.

Urza, Planeswalker

Planeswalker - Urza
[+1]: Add to your mana pool.  This mana can't be spent on costs that include one or more colored mana symbols.
[-2]: Scry 2, Fateseal 2.
[-10]: Search your library for any number of cards and reveal them.  Put all permanent cards revealed this way onto the battlefield, then cast all other revealed cards without paying their mana costs.
[5]

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

I just ask that you explain how your design ties into your vision of Urza's character and personal abilities. Then explain why the interactions and abilities you've chosen are special when applies to the game itself.

Even if we do come to create some superb design... given that we're designing first, you'll have an unfair advantage with your design.
If you are truly so confident, why don't you throw down your gauntlet first giving us the advantage. That should level the playing field according to you.

I won't post my design until I see some of your design, following your own rules. For equality's sake, of course.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
altmis, that's a silly notion. It doesn't matter who goes first, that's just your misconception. The greatness of your design comes from within, it's a solid-state thing. If something is great, nothing can shake that. If you put down an amazing design, it will be always amazing (even in contrast to another amazing design).  There really is no such thing as the upperhand here.

It's not all that silly considereing several people have posted designs and you still haven't posted one.
You post a design and I'll participate. I can certainly understand if you don't want to. I'm not going to post a design to have it brushed off. If you think you can beat me, challenge me, otherwise don't challenge me, and I'll be on my way.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
They have yet to meet the standards. I'm not going to bother without an honest effort.

I just ask that you explain how your design ties into your vision of Urza's character and personal abilities. Then explain why the interactions and abilities you've chosen are special when applies to the game itself.

Very well, I suppose I did say I'd play along

Color
From an external point of view, Urza is most strongly associated with Blue.  He is, of course, a thinker.  The Tolarian Academy is his brainchild, and its blueness reflects upon the master.  Similarly, Blue is the color typically given to artificers, which is Urza's most notable skill.  Black and white represent, however, the two most important factors of Urza when one examines his character arc, other than his intellect which is represented by blue: That being Justice and Pride.  Urza is driven to protect the many (even at the expense of the few) which is a very white drive.  He wishes to punish Yawgmoth and Phyrexia for the events of the Brothers' War, and he is further identifable as white by Serra's acceptance of him.  For black, Urza is arrogant even by the standards of planeswalkers, and his willingness to take the long view and sacrifice pawns plays a large part in both his creation of the Legacy and his corruption and fall during the assault on Phyrexia.  While Urza's white instincts drive him to fight Phyrexia, the blackness in him admires the ends and perhaps even the means of Yawgmoth's creation.

+ Ability
"Great peril demands formidable weaponry" - Urza
Urza is best known as an artificer, and it is general Planeswalker design that a Planeswalker's positive ability should be, thematically, closest to the core of a Planeswalker's powerset, while higher abilities are more peripheral.  So, Urza's first ability should interact with artifacts.  But, at the same time, there is a tension with that in Planeswalker design.  Planeswalkers have been historically intended to be able to be included in a broad spectrum of decks, and while some Planeswalkers fit this better than do others, most strive for it.  While Tezzeret proved you could, in fact, design an artifact-centric planeswalker, I did not want to do this because there is far more to Urza than machines.  Instead, I gave him an ability that could be used, conceivably, in any deck but is geared strongly towards those that include artifacts: generating colorless mana for colorless costs.

- Ability
"The solution can hide for only so long."</em> <em>- Urza

"I knew this day would come," said Urza. Looking at the destruction, Barrin sighed, "You don't have to revel in it."

Urza is a schemer and a planner.  He is always several steps ahead, both in terms of his own schemes and predicting what others will do, as is evidenced in his preperations for the invasion and the betrayl of Tevesh Szat, which was essential to his plans.  As such, Urza's - ability both predicts your own future draws and those of your opponents by scrying and fatesealing at once.  I chose to use the keyword actions to save precious characters in Urza's design, and because it would be difficult to template the effect without it.  Not impossible, mind, but difficult enough that getting the cleaner effect was worth using keywords.

Ultimate
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts" - Urza
Urza follows the outline of a standard three-ability Planeswalker outline: the +/-/ultimate outlay that's proven to work.  Frankly, it provides the best pattern of use for a planeswalker on the table.  But, let's talk about that ultimate itself.  Like most ultimates (especially ones that take several turns to reach), it essentially causes you to win the game.  The question is in how they do it.  Chandra does it by dealing damage, Jace does it by causing mill, Tibalt does it by sparking insanity.  Their ultimates all reflect the character of the planeswalker.  Urza's ultimate lets you win the game with brute force of course, but it also lets you execute most any combo you can think up and insert into your deck.  Go ahead -- be like Urza himself and put together dozens of individual pieces into a whole that makes your victory absolutley inevitable.  Urza assembled his own Legacy consisting of Karn, Gerrard, Himself, The Weatherlight, and many other artifacts.  If you get enough loyalty, what will yours be?

We’ve removed content from this thread because of a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

Remember, a community is a joint effort of all those involved, and while we want intellegent meaningful and productive banter to ensue we also need it to be polite and considerate of others. Believe us when we say it is possible.

Thank you for your time and support as we continue to try and make a great community for everyone.

Thank you for your time and support as we continue to try and make a great community for everyone.

If you really wanted to make this a great community, wouldn't it be easier just to ban Bankai? It mystifies me as to why that hasn't happened yet. Every single one of his threads ends up getting moderated, and you guys act like it's not his fault. Why don't you just ban him? It would certainly make your jobs a lot easier.

PORTRAIT OF A PLANESWALKER – Coming October 13th, 2013

IMAGE(http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/385.gif)

Perhaps so easy that they'd be out of a job? I think I finally understand! W/o Kevin, they have no work - he's like the disease that keeps doctors in employment! Without health problems we'd have no doctors, w/o Kevin, the moderators would all have to find something else to do.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
I want to create cards with the strangest possible flavour that punish players and make the game completely asinine.

The best kind of card!

Also, when a user's avatar disappears does it mean they got banned?

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Probably just suspended.

139359831 wrote:
SO far, at least three (I think there might be a fourth) designs have been posted. And no returning designs from Bankai. Perhaps this is his strange way of saying that the only way to best the design of Magic is to not design it. If there were no cards, there would be no competition?
Or maybe Bankai is afraid to post. I would say that at this point (having been 24 hours or fairly close) the victory is defaulted to those valiant souls who posted? Does anyone concur?
EDIT: I really like your Urza card. Very cool flavor and I applaud your knowledge and breakdown of its representation of his personality and abilities. Prerevisionist/pre "Great Mending" planeswalkers were so much more awesome, but sadly could have never existed within the game in the manner they do now. I enjoy the new flavor and storyline, but some of the weirdness that existed back in the day was awesome. For instance, Myojin of Night's Reach and Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker were trying to kill each other, due to the interference of the descendant of Takeno, Samurai General (who was removed from Kamigawa and sent to Dominaria by said Myojin, for betraying said same Myojin.) Truely strange.

So what I want to ask now is...does anyone still disagree?

Seems like the mods disagree.

Okay, so, you're suspended now or whatever, so it's not like I expect a response, but here's the deal. When I open a booster pack, it doesn't contain a wall of text explaining the merits of the cards inside. When a player opens a mythic rare, he doesn't scour the web to see if MaRo has posted design comments about it so he can more greatly appreciate it. As a designer, it's not my job to review the card for you. The card is supposed to do that. It needs to speak for itself, because that is how it works in the real job. If you need to explain to me why your card is well-designed, then it's probably not that great.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

If you need to explain to me why [something] is well-designed, then it's probably not that great.

A certain Head Designer of Magic could stand to learn this as well, to be fair, although more about everything he does that isn't designing cards.
Your honesty in those contests isn't a testament against the reality of my designs, it could just mean that you're not giving credit where credit is due. When you make a statement like that, it doesn't mean that I shouldn't have won; that is what you appear to be insinutating with your comment there infinight, but that's not at all the case when you take what I just mentioned about legitimacy into speculation.

So, to clarify, in all your years on this board, you have not won a single contest... And yet you continue to claim to be the best card designer?

To be fair, Kevin has actually succeeded at winning at least one contest that I have personally witnessed. It was maybe almost a year ago and a new-to-YMtC user had his or her first contest. Kevin won. So.

139359831 wrote:

Okay, so, you're suspended now or whatever, so it's not like I expect a response, but here's the deal. When I open a booster pack, it doesn't contain a wall of text explaining the merits of the cards inside. When a player opens a mythic rare, he doesn't scour the web to see if MaRo has posted design comments about it so he can more greatly appreciate it. As a designer, it's not my job to review the card for you. The card is supposed to do that. It needs to speak for itself, because that is how it works in the real job. If you need to explain to me why your card is well-designed, then it's probably not that great.

Can I +1 this multiple times? 

I think that modern masters is actually the best example of a brilliantly designed set, and they didn't even print any new cards.  Just looking it it tells you how much effort they put into making all the cards fit together seamlessly, as though they had all been printed just for that set.

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
Machamp?

Haunter, I choose you!

Fixing Haunt

So, the Haunt mechanic is kind of lame in its execution -- haunt creatures all have effects when the enter the battlefield or the creature they haunt dies, haunt spells just repeat themselves when their victim goes away.

But the tech for haunt could be so much more...  What if it were brought back as a "geist" mechanic for Innistrad?

Geistclutch

Sorcery
Target creature gets -2/-2
Haunt
The creature Geistclutch haunts gets -2/-2

But that's only the beginning!  That still effectivley "repeats" its ability, how about something more different

Aerial Spirits

Creature - Spirit
Flying, Haunt
If you control the creature Aerial Spirits haunts, it gains flying.  Otherwise, it loses flying

Rage of Lost Souls

Instant
Rage of Lost Souls deals 3 damage to target creature or player
Haunt
The creature Rage of Lost Souls haunts has First Strike

Spirit of Ancient Wilds

Creature - Spirit Wolf
Haunt
The creature Spirit of Ancient Wilds haunts is a werewolf in addition to its other types and has "At the beginning of each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, this creature gets +2/+2 and has intimidate until end of turn."
2/2

Phobia

Sorcery
Target player discards a card
Haunt
When the creature Phobia haunts dies, return Phobia to the battlefield transformed
//
Walking Nightmare
{} Creature - Spirit Horror
Intimidate
When Walking Nightmare deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card at random
2/2

thanks

(No real challenge... it's hard to rival a body of work in a 24-hour thread.  But, I had to follow up on the Haunter joke)

I thought haunt was a good way to introduce my take on demons as manifestation of the frailties of humans

Haunt of unfilled obligation creature demon
On entrance; sacrifice another creature if you can.
On death; return this play and flip it
6/6
-------------
unfilled obligation Enchant Creature
When enchanted creature dies;
  its controller sacrifices another creature.
Crito, I owe a **** to Asclepius;
    will you remember to pay the debt? -Socrates

I will have to practice patients with the rest

NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

I don't owe **** to Asclepius.

139359831 wrote:
chicken
NO WAR

Liliana emergent

Cheep Cheep Cheep Cheep Cheep

139359831 wrote:
Urza World Shaper planeswalker

+2 sacrifce a land; get a land from your deck and put it into play

-1 sacrifce an artifact and pay . Put an artifact from your deck of mana count X into play.

-8 Get a emblem that grants the power to counter a spell by paying its mana count.

"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." - Archimedes
{5}

NO WAR

Liliana emergent

Urza World Shaper planeswalker

+2 sacrifce a land; get a land from your deck and put it into play

-1 sacrifce an artifact and pay . Put an artifact from your deck of mana count X into play.

-8 Get a emblem that grants the power to counter a spell by paying its mana count.

"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." - Archimedes
{5}

+2: swap a land in play with a land from your deck
-1:  pay X to swap an artifact in play with an artifact costing X from your deck
-8: get an emblem with "pay the cost of a spell to counter it" 
"swap" is good though maybe not common enough.
Nothing that can't be fixed with some uncommon political trickery

cost has color issues

0: until your next turn. You may counter target spell by paying its mana count
 if Urza Worldshaper has 8+ (or more) loyalty counters

8: until your next turn. You may counter target spell by paying its mana count
NO WAR

Liliana emergent

Wait, so we're going to enter a contest, judged by you, to decide if we are better than you?
I'll bite.

Into Mind 
Sorcery
Each player merges their hand zone with the battlefield
"Enter a world of delusions and daydreams. Enter a world absent of of logic and reasoning. Enter a world where gods are slaves to dreams and we alone stand above them all."

Into Mind  enchantment
All temporary spells cast each turn
return to their owners hand at the end of that turn.

Michael Rennie was ill the day the earth stood still
But he told us where we stand
gLee

NO WAR

Liliana emergent

Sign In to post comments