7/23/2013 SF: "Backdraft"

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Interesting! Really loved the format. Kinda makes me wonder if this is an useful way of play to learn about draft. By learning what the bad cards are, the new player will learn what a good card is in future drafts. Also, the team variant helps to mitigate the deckbuilding aspect as well.
^ Agreed, again it is interesting to read about Bruce's World of Magic Smile. Might even give this a go at some point...
The backdraft format as described here has one fatal flaw - if one player is a poor (back)drafter, they can end up with a particularly strong pool compared to all the rest. The player who gets handed that pool will then proceed to crush everyone with it, which is both not particularly fun, and not particularly rewarding for them to win out based so completely on luck of the draw. This happened the one time I've been in a backdraft.

A possible way to ameliorate this is for each player to carry their backdrafted pool with them, and hand it to their opponent in each round, who makes a deck out of it. It's a little weird to be playing with a different deck each round, and always against the same pool (although not necessarily the same deck!) and it takes notably more time (since you need deckbuilding time each round), but it's considerably more fair.
Loved this article....the only thing I have to say is it must have been tempting to keep the cards....I don't think I'll be buying a box of Modern Masters any time soon...the $250 price for a box would get me divorced....lol
The backdraft format as described here has one fatal flaw - if one player is a poor (back)drafter, they can end up with a particularly strong pool compared to all the rest. The player who gets handed that pool will then proceed to crush everyone with it, which is both not particularly fun, and not particularly rewarding for them to win out based so completely on luck of the draw.

Remember that you get points as well for your pool losing, so a player can win without 3-0ing the table.
The incredibly confusing thing about this all is that the term "backdraft" far more often refers to a style of draft in which the rares are submitted into a pool at the end, and the players in the draft select cards to keep from it in order of their finishes in the event. When stores say they do "Backdraft" at their limited events, they are absolutely not referring to what Bruce is talking about here.

Given that this is common at LCGs, I'm surprised he didn't make this distinction in the article, even as a postscript.
The incredibly confusing thing about this all is that the term "backdraft" far more often refers to a style of draft in which the rares are submitted into a pool at the end, and the players in the draft select cards to keep from it in order of their finishes in the event. When stores say they do "Backdraft" at their limited events, they are absolutely not referring to what Bruce is talking about here.

Given that this is common at LCGs, I'm surprised he didn't make this distinction in the article, even as a postscript.

Hmm. As a Magic player for 15 years and a reader of dailymtg.com since it first began, I've only ever heard "Backdraft" to mean this reverse drafting style. Redrafting rares is called "redrafting rares" at my LGS and every other venue I've heard of doing it.
Hmm. As a Magic player for 15 years and a reader of dailymtg.com since it first began, I've only ever heard "Backdraft" to mean this reverse drafting style. Redrafting rares is called "redrafting rares" at my LGS and every other venue I've heard of doing it.

Same, 100%.  This is backdraft.  Divvy-ing up the takehome is called "Rare Redraft".  I guess it could be different in other locations, but those are the terms as I've always known them, for years.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Incidentally, the one time I played in a backdraft, we ended up redrafting rares (and maybe even uncommons) at the end. That said, I found a backdraft requires a bit more organisation than a regular draft (we were a very casual group and basically the only organisation our usual drafts had was pairing for the matches). You also need to define how scoring works: is it winning with your deck, is it hoping your pool loses, is it both as in the article?

That said, it was an extremely fun experience and, I believe, an even better test of drafting knowledge than a regular draft.
Sign In to post comments