Grixis Control

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Good afternoon everyone! I'm currently in the process of creating my first standard deck.

Just so we're on the same page, I want it to be semi-competitive; however, semi-budget.

This is what I have so far:

I built this deck just using spare cards I had in my small collection. I just wanted to throw together something decent that I could use for standard play.
Quick question, does Young Pyromancer work with Grixis?
What I have right now isn't very good. It works, but it's not refined.
Is there a different semi-competitive budget standard deck where I can just buy the cards I need online? Or should I just alter this?
I am not a standard expert so I can not say how competitive grixis is currently but I don't see why semi-competitive would not be achievable. Since you built this deck from spare cards most of the cards have stronger versions or there are just better cards. Young Pyromancer might be workable but no guarantees. Definitely go to 4 jace, architect of thought as this is your main source for generating card advantage. Planeswalkers are great in control decks in modern and standard since your card draw is limited the repeat effects become instrumental. For this reason going to 3 ral zareks would be a good option as well. On that note a third planeswalker would also be a good option but anything else will be getting rolled out of standard soon. You should have 4-6 finishers so I would start by putting in a third aetherling

I will now rattle off a some what long list of cards that might be helpful or are just better versions of what you have; izzet charm should work great in this deck, turn // burn this might not be necessary, rakdos charm side board against aggro, shock/searing spear are good burn options in standard right now, Quicken is odd but could be powerful to instant speed a duress, far // away two great control cards in one I would almost definitely include this, dimir charm provides some nice versatility and draw control, syncopate a good counter in standard, beckon apparition provide chump blockers and can kill a flash back card.

Cards you have that are just not good or there are better versions are street spasm, lava axe, time ebb, annihilating fire and flames of the firebrand, ultimate price, Disperse, negate, essence scatter. In some cases you already have some of the better versions like doom blade>ultimate price and cyclonic rift>disperse and others I already suggested good cards to replace them with.

Hope this helps.

How to Auto Card: [c]Entomb[/c] Becomes Entomb

Grixis Control has been seeing some play in Standard - see here. Here is a thread about budget Grixis Control. Here is the MTGsalvation Grixis Control Primer - which I would definitely be reading.

I agree with "ppkitty" that many of the cards in your deck need to be replaced.

How to autocard: 

Show

[*c]CardName[/*c] (remove the *'s) to autocard!

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

Remove the *'s to autodeck!

I spent time building a Bant Hexproof deck for rotation. I could definetly make this on a budget.

My apologies for changing the deck, but I realized a friend of mine plays an izzet deck which my "Grixis Control" deck would have turned into.

What do you think?

-Dinkins
I do not know bant very well but you have a lot of auras in here. Auras provide way to much opportunity to loose card advantage unless they have return effects like rancor and angelic destiny. Yes you have hexproof which severely lessons that effect but you would still be susceptible to sweepers. You may not find it an issue but it is still a lot of risk.

How to Auto Card: [c]Entomb[/c] Becomes Entomb

My apologies for changing the deck

Any Aura's you would run need to (ideally all three) (a) make the creature more likely to connect (b) make the creature more resistant to removal (c) be itself recursive. Ethereal Armor meets none of these conditions, neither does Forced Adaptation or Divine Favor. Rancor definitely needs to be here, Spectral Flight seems great and TrollHide is probably worth considering.

Elvish Mystic seems underwhelming - for :G: in a 3 colour deck - I'd replace it with Invisible Stalker whose absence is, quite frankly, astonishing.

How to autocard: 

Show

[*c]CardName[/*c] (remove the *'s) to autocard!

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

Remove the *'s to autodeck!

I was trying to build a standard deck for past rotation, but then I realized it makes absolutely no sense, so I should just wait for Theros to come out. Then make one.

Until then, I'll work on my modern deck, but thank you all for the helpful advice and tips.

-Dinkins 
Sign In to post comments