Theros, first look

546 posts / 0 new
Last post
Live from the Comic con Magic panel, I'm going to start posting stuff from Theros best as I am able to.

Theros is ruled by a Pantheon of Gods, one for each color.

Heliod

Erebos

Nyela

They will be given unique frames, evidentally
Theros will mechanically be 'enchantment matters'.
They've found a way to "bring enchantments and gods to life".

Thematically, Theros is about Magic's take on classical Greek tropes.
Adventure, achievement, accomplishment. Hero's journey

Also, lots of greek monsters

expect minotaurs

Five total mechanics in Theros
One for the Heroes, one for the Gods, one for the Monsters, and something we have been asking for for a while.

There will be more than the avergae number of Gold cards, but not as much as a gold set. 
There are three Planeswalkers in the set.
Two new ones, and Elspeth

Elspeth attracts Heliod's attention through her actions but would rather not.

She does not want to be a hero.

Elspeth does not believe she will be called on to be a leader in a world of gods. Gods can take multiple forms and walk among mortals.

The Gods live in Nyx. 
There are three major walled cities.

Meletis

Akros

and Setessa

Life outside of these cities is dangerous because of the monsters.
During the prerelease, you will go on a Hero's Quest of your own, aided by special Vanguard like cards

and overcome challenges
the art looks good
the colossal depiction of the gods gives them an aura of omnipresence

I hope they also explore the science, philosophy and tragedies of the classic age

Archimedes' Gold sorcery
Put Archimedes' Gold plus any number of permanents you control
  on the bottom of owners' library
    then draw that many cards.
~eureka

Ironicly, the followers of Pythagoras where religiously against the idea of irrational numbers.

Perhaps an age of enlightenment can be covered in te expansions

Man vrs the Gods is a common theme in Greek Mythos

"some stones should be left unturned" ~Urlock
That's it for now until the video goes live.
Love everything so far, but the new frames, particularly the last one on the Snapping Fanghead, hurt my eyes.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
Well it's a good thing those are just for the prerelease, it sounds like.

From what I can tell, the Hero cards work like the old vanguard cards; they just sit in the command zone (like emblems) and you can use their ability at any time.

Edit: WHERE ARE YOU PEOPLE, I WANT TO TALK ABOUT THINGS. 
I'm fine with the vanguard thingies for the prerelease, but the alternate frames for the Gods are disconcerting.

I hope we don't get Purple.

The art looks spectacular.

EDIT: I'll stick around.

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

New frame for the gods is beautiful. Enchantment block is awesome. Per usual the set looks nice, but we'll see.

"The fuel on which science runs is ignorance. Science is like a hungry furnace that must be fed logs from the forests of ignorance that surround us. In the process, the clearing we call knowledge expands, but the more it expands, the longer its perimeter and the more ignorance comes into view." -Matt Ridley, Genome

I'm excited for the enchantment block, too.

I agree that the Godframe looks nice, but I'm aprehensive as to what it indicates, mechanics-wise.

The new art for Elspeth, with her on the island, has to be some of the best art for a PW I've seen in a while.

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

I will need those Hero cards.

Anyways, over all, I really like the style that we're getting. It revives in me, some of the feelings I last felt when I was seeing Bant for the first time.... which is one of the few times in recent history I've really been excited for a set.

Digging the Minotaur and gorgon, the unique style have some nice looks upcoming.

The gods having a new frame is... dumb. Very very dumb. Pretty, but dumb.

Elspeth being on Theros... no satisfying answer, knew we wouldn't get one.
On one hand, it might just be to indicate that they're special.

On the other, the last time we got new frames, it was for the miracles, and that was to help players recognize when they drew one. 
The Miracle frame was ew.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

On one hand, it might just be to indicate that they're special.

On the other, the last time we got new frames, it was for the miracles, and that was to help players recognize when they drew one. 

And they were ugly then too!
That art is gorgeous! Just looking at the various bits of artwork has me chomping at the bit for Theros's release.

I really like the sound of the enchantment theme, and I can't wait to see what they have lined up for gorgons and hydras.
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
I like the star theme. I think it aligns well with an enchantment set, and I like how it fits with Nyx being where the gods live. Like the gods are pieces of the night sky. (I really liked how in the Sinbad with Brad Pitt that Eris could pull constellations out of the sky to serve her.)

The gorgon makes me happy.

The three cities look blue, red, and green-leaning. (With heroes tending towards white and monsters toward black?)
(With heroes tending towards white and monsters toward black?)

I really hope they be a little more interesting than that. Because WotC has done that trope TO DEATH.

"The fuel on which science runs is ignorance. Science is like a hungry furnace that must be fed logs from the forests of ignorance that surround us. In the process, the clearing we call knowledge expands, but the more it expands, the longer its perimeter and the more ignorance comes into view." -Matt Ridley, Genome

I like the star theme. I think it aligns well with an enchantment set, and I like how it fits with Nyx being where the gods live. Like the gods are pieces of the night sky. (I really liked how in the Sinbad with Brad Pitt that Eris could pull constellations out of the sky to serve her.)

The gorgon makes me happy.

The three cities look blue, red, and green-leaning. (With heroes tending towards white and monsters toward black?)

Actually, the monsters appear to lean towards Jund. Minotaurs, Hydra, and Gorgon so far. Sea monsters too, now that I think of it, so blue as well.

Probably all colors EXCEPT White. Heroes probably in every color. Hopefully they won't skip black, because... well, it just isn't right.

Honestly, with only 3 major cities, I have to admit this world feels very... small. Very very small.
I hope they don't constrain the heroes or the mosters to any one color, and I don't really think they will.

Heroism and monstrosity can be found in every color.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

I mean, I said "tending towards" and "[color]-leaning" for a reason.
Touché.

Actually, now I really want there to be at least one prominent white-aligned monster. Evil white is such an interesting flavor concept...

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Mythology does have a few monsters that look like the things you'd see in , like the Aethonem Aquilam. There's also Circe and her ilk, which are the daughters of the Sun god...

Currently, only gorgons seem . All other monsters seem and , which is what I'd expect: greek mythology monsters are primal abominations, not the forces of malevolent darkness seen in medieval scripture.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
Well it's a good thing those are just for the prerelease, it sounds like.

From what I can tell, the Hero cards work like the old vanguard cards; they just sit in the command zone (like emblems) and you can use their ability at any time.

Edit: WHERE ARE YOU PEOPLE, I WANT TO TALK ABOUT THINGS. 

maybe there at the panel  I could not get into at comic con

Well I hope they stay wuth the Hero story

as oppoised to beating the war drum in everyother flavor text

"some stones should be left unturned" ~Urlock
Wow, it looks like they are really going all in on the Prerelease experience, do you think designing for DotP has affected their outlook about this kind of thing?
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
(I really liked how in the Sinbad with Brad Pitt that Eris could pull constellations out of the sky to serve her.)

Freaking love that movie.

@monsters, we've seen monsters (:r, sea monsters (:u, gorgons (:b, and hydras (:g.

@small cities, well we don't really know how society works in Theros. Mayhaps the humans actually get along with the various non-human races. Maybe the non-human races have their own societies. 
Alright, I'm gonna be that guy.

I don't like Elspeth being on this plane. Maybe they'll find a way to make this not mindbendingly stupid, but she HAD a character arc, and it involved New Phyrexia, and this... does not, and probably cannot, if the overall setting is going to be coherent in any way, shape or form. That bothers me, since it means that yet again even the idea of a consistent storyline is getting thrown under the bus for the immediate worldbuilding needs.

I'm still sore about Dragon's Maze, Gideon, Nu Slivers, and, hell, even Jace's random Zendikar trip. MaRo keeps claiming that this block is going to make it all better. I'm not optimistic.

It's a real shame, because everything else looks really, really, REALLY cool... but WotC has consistently been sending me the message that I'm a chump for following the storyline, and that pretty much poisons everything.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
This looks really, really... problematic.

I hope the Hero and Challenge cards represent an alternate format, not something tiat is expected to be a part of magic all the time.  I hope the gods don't screw everything up.

The art is pretty, but the degree to which Greek stuff does not resonate with me... wow.

I'm not one of those doomsayers who says "X is going to ruin magic" but a lot of this Theros stuff looks like a different game entirely.  Troubling.

I'll probably go to the prerelease all the same, just to see what's up.  I'm a lover of enchantments and have been waiting for that enchantment block, buuut....  wow, baggage.

And it sounds like Elspeth is running away from her problems again. "Elspeth does not believe she will be called on to be a leader in a world of gods." and all that.  Just running and hiding.  I thouight she was through that, cosarnit.

Now I'm wishing she'd managed to die a hero, fighting toe-to-toe with a Praetor or Steel Thane to give Melira and/or Karn and/or Koth a chance to fight on.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."
On Worldbuilding - On Crafting Aliens - Pillars of Art and Flavor - Simulationism, Narritivism, and Gamism - Shub-Niggurath in D&D
THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

I don't like Elspeth on the plane.

I hope this is more like Kamigawa than they're letting on because otherwise it will be all show with no substance. It's looking too much like a Greek knockoff and not like MtG.

And I'm worried that (and I hope I'm wrong) the blue God will be based on Poseidon because LOLOLWATERISBLUELOLOL.

Edit: Yep, " Thassa Goddess of the sea". Ugh. 

More art

Nyx maybe?

And I'm worried that (and I hope I'm wrong) the blue God will be based on Poseidon because LOLOLWATERISBLUELOLOL.

*looks at the second pic HairlessThoctar just posted*

Hey, looks like you were right.
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)

*looks at the second pic HairlessThoctar just posted*

Hey, looks like you were right.

That's not the God (the picture was just spoiled) but yes, I was right.

@ Elspeth: It all depends on if, and how, they address her prescence on the plane.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Yeah, it's the constant rewinding of Elspeth's character that really bugs me. Other characters get a character arc that's like if you tossed a ball into the air and it came down a distance away. Elspeth's character arc is more like the map of a tennis ball bounced off a wall repeatedly. :|

The only thing that can save her character arc now is a surprise reveal that she was always destined to regress due to Karn's plan to use her as a trigger for Instrumentality.

I have to say, though... looking at the art again... this does look really cool u_u In a way I feel like that's the worst part. Just like DGM, just like M14, I'm really enthused about a good 80-90% of what I'm seeing, but there's some sticking point that are wrecking it for me.

I DEFINITELY don't expect to see the Prerelease stuff make its way into wider official Magic in the long-term. Which in a way is kind of a shame since I suspect I won't have time/money/friend-related-reasons to get to a prerelease, and I actually would love to play with some of these avatar cards and stuff. But yeah, just like Transformers didn't become a perpetual mechanic, I strongly doubt that the presence of god cards is going to permanently alter the game and its feel.

I totally get why someone not into this particular genre or subject would sit this block out, though.

(dat god art tho @_@) 
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Oh hey, so as it turns out PAX East Australia is also today, and has way more stuff about Theros

- Minotaurs are the rampaging savages of Theros.
- Krakens were added because the film "Clash of the Titans" changed the public perception.
- Many existing creature types will be getting reworked to match the Greek flavor.
- Nyx is the night sky, and also the home of the pantheon of Gods.
- Each of the three cities is based on actual ancient Greek cities. Athens and Sparta are mentioned specifically as being represented.
- Thassa is the goddess of the sea. Image attached.

- Theros will have pre-release packs! You will pick your color, and receive a pre-release pack of that color.
- Complete the nine quests on the Hero's Path to earn Hero cards to use at Game Day.
- Both "Born of the Gods" and "Journey into Nyx" will feature similar Pre-Release, Release, and Game Day events.
Wow. They're serious about the Hero's Journey thing. That's actually kind of sweet.

Does anyone else find it interesting that the gods apparently do NOT break their card frames with their artwork the way 'walkers do? Or am I the only person dorky enough to find that fascinating? Like, they have DIFFERENT card frames, but they don't have the power to TRANSCEND the confines of their card frames the way beings that can travel the planes do.

I... I just think it's really kinda cool and stuff [mumbles; shuffles feet]
Yeah, it's the constant rewinding of Elspeth's character that really bugs me. Other characters get a character arc that's like if you tossed a ball into the air and it came down a distance away. Elspeth's character arc is more like the map of a tennis ball bounced off a wall repeatedly. :|

The only thing that can save her character arc now is a surprise reveal that she was always destined to regress due to Karn's plan to use her as a trigger for Instrumentality.

I have too agree. It's a shame though, because she's more or less one of my favorite Planeswalkers, character-wise. I do wish that she'd get some closure and the chance to move forward; she deserves it.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Ah, my bad. I jumped the gun.

Now I'm really curious as to who that other merfolk turns out to be.
My Sig
I am Blue/Green
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
56790678 wrote:
56902498 wrote:
57062508 wrote:
56760448 wrote:
90571711 wrote:
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
158710691 wrote:

Ah, my bad. I jumped the gun.

Now I'm really curious as to who that other merfolk turns out to be.

Maybe a "hero"? There are going to be more legends in this set than normal.

This looks way too Greek.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.