[3.5] Aura Mechanics??

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I play a Dread Necromancer, which has Fear Aura, which reads that as a free action I can activate it and enemies within 5 ft of me must make a will save or become shaken.

Last night my DM ruled that if I advance on a target or initiate the attack, the aura will not affect the target (some nonsense about how since I'm threatening them they can overcome fear). This entirely negates the usefulness of the class feature. He said that it can only affect an enemy that advances on me.

Does anyone know the actual rules for this? It reads any enemy in 5 ft, which to me says "no matter how they got there".

I'm still fairly new to D&D but my understanding is that my power and my presence is terrifying. They should be afraid ESPECIALLY if I'm attacking them.

I'd love an official Wizards response on this, and how the aura should work... But what is everyone else's opinion?
I don't know about RAW for 3.5, but I can say that your interpretation is almost certainly RAI. From both a realistic and mechanicaly logical perspective, it does not make sense for them to stop being afraid because you pose a threat.
I don't know about RAW for 3.5, but I can say that your interpretation is almost certainly RAI. From both a realistic and mechanicaly logical perspective, it does not make sense for them to stop being afraid because you pose a threat.

Yeah,  see, the other thing is, the aura can't put them above shaken, and it wears off the round after they leave it's range...   The aura was MEANT to be used offensively.  That way we can compensate for our lack of strong offensive spells by entering melee range and being able to still compete.  

Yeah,  see, the other thing is, the aura can't put them above shaken, and it wears off the round after they leave it's range...   The aura was MEANT to be used offensively.  That way we can compensate for our lack of strong offensive spells by entering melee range and being able to still compete. 

You've got the rules response, but the "What's a Player to Do?" response is: that probably doesn't matter. In the long, sad, history of players quoting rules at DMs, the DM has almost invariably either won the argument or gotten back at the player in some other way. If your DM doesn't like how you're using this rule, he'll do something to prevent it or to (in his mind) balance things anyway. Your only hope, as I see it, is to talk to the DM fairly and civilly and get his buy-in with your class. If he's worried about it being overpowered, explain how it's not and then go out of your way not to appear to powerful in the game. Build up some trust.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.