Inescapable Force + Magic Missile

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I had a question regarding the interaction between Magic Missile and the feat, Inescapable Force.

Inescapable Force reads "When you use a power that has the force keyword, you deal full damage (instead of half damage) against insubstantial creatures, and that power deals an extra 1d10 damage to such creatures.".

By my reading of the feat, this would mean that if you used magic missile against an insubstantial creature, you would add 1d10 additional damage to the power, as magic missile has both the force keyword and deals force damage, fulfilling both requirements of the feat.

My DM feels that Inescapable Force should not deal the additional damage because Magic Missile does not require an attack roll and because the power does not have a damage roll.  I contest that Inescapable Force makes no mention of requiring an attack or damage roll, merely that a power with the force keyword that deals force damage be used against an isubstantial creature.

I would appreciate the community's thoughts and advice on this.

Thanks!
-Zerchai 
You're right. Your DM is wrong. The rules aren't at all ambiguous here. Things do what they say they do.

None of that makes it remotely a good idea to spend a feat to make a terrible power marginally less terrible against a vanishingly small number of monsters. IMO, It's such a bad idea that it's not even worth arguing the toss with your DM.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

I have a number of other force powers, and acquired Magic Missile through the Blackstaff Apprentice theme (in addition to the once/encounter minor action Magic Missile), so it was a freebie for me. Our DM has a long history of using insubstantial creatures in his game, and we just started going through Tomb of Horrors, and it seems the place is loaded with them. I've been toying with picking up I.F. for a long time due to the number of encounters we've had with insubstantial enemies over the course of the campaign (easily two dozen), but after having three encounters in a row with insubstantial foes, it pretty much clinched the decision for me, and we're just leveling up.

Thanks for the support in my interpretation, Duskweaver; I'm really looking for ammunition to back me up on this. I agree, Magic Missile is rarely going to be a go-to power for me, but against an insubstantial creature, it becomes a much more viable option with the +1d10 chaser.
Well, let's look at it logically:

Are you using a power? Yep, Magic Missile in this case.
Does it have the force keyword? Yep. Right up there with the other keywords.
Great, Inescapable Force applies to it.

You can also point out that the vast majority of "Damage type feats" (Psychic Lock, Lasting Frost, etc) say that they apply when you hit with a power of the correct type. IF does not. Technically it even works if you miss with the power.
Worth noting:

- It's VERY arguable whether adding rolled extra damage consitutes a damage roll, and therefore allows all your bonusers to damage rolls to apply.  ETV hugely on that point.

- The extra damage *wouldn't* apply to a (putative) power with the Force keyword that didn;t do damage natively; you can;t add extra damage to something which doesn;t already deal damage.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Despana brings up an interesting point. If you use a force power that would deal half damage on a miss, it is still technically affected by IF, so it would still ignore the halving from insubstantial and do the extra d10, dealing a total of half damage + 1d10, instead of just quarter damage (half from the miss, then halved by insubstantial.
It's also worth noting that the more recently designed insubstantial monsters mostly (all?) already have a rule that allows force damage to deal full damage to them. I don't know whether this applies to any of the insubstantial monsters in ToH, though.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

Worth noting:

- It's VERY arguable whether adding rolled extra damage consitutes a damage roll, and therefore allows all your bonusers to damage rolls to apply.  ETV hugely on that point.

By RAW, extra damage is part of the original power. (RC pg, 223)  
By RAW, a damage roll is "a roll of dice to determine damage."  (RC pg. 222)
By RAW, the magic missile is doing the extra damage which is a damage roll. 

The only thing is ETV based whether the DM wants to follow RAW or not. Most do not allow extra damage to be considered a "damage roll" by the power because it can make some powers much more powerful than intended. 
I take no sides in the argument, I merely note that it exists.

It's less problematic for MM of course, given that that already gets your enhancement bonus.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Sign In to post comments