[Theory] Enchantment Creature sub-type in Theros

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
As Wizard's has stated in one of their recent articles, there are a few unspecified cards in m14 that work well with cards that are going to be in Theros and the upcoming block. One of the most obvious cards planted in M13, looking back at Return to Ravnica block, was Flinthoof boar. RnD has said that this time the planted cards may not be quite so obvious. But I have a theory...

If you're familiar with M14, you know there's an abnormally large pool of enchantments or cards that interact with enchantments. Blightcaster, Auromancer Ajani's Chosen, Awaken The Anchent, Oath of the Ancient Wood, etc... Artificer's Hex lol? 

I believe it's possible that an Enchantment Creature sub-type will be featured in Theros block and that that's why these cards have been planted. Especially a card like Awaken the Ancient. The art looks like it could be a Titan from Greek Mythology. Even the name "Awaken the Ancient" sounds foreshadowing. 

What's also very interesting is the card, Oath of the Ancient Wood (Note* Both cards have the words "The Ancient" in their card names and both are fairly unique Enchantments). But what's more interesting, on Gather under the card rules section for Oath of the Ancients it says, "If the enchantment that enters the battlefield is somehow also a creature, you may choose it as the target of Oath of the Ancient Wood’s ability." Funny enough, the only enchantment creature ever printed was Lucent Liminid from Future Sight, who's flavor text reads, "It is a herald of the sun goddess, projected from the hallowed glass whenever her light passes through. 

When asked about the "concensous on Lucent Liminid" Rosewater made it clear that he wasn't satisfied with the way Lucent Liminid turned out and that he wanted to make sure enchantment creatures would be done right before they make anymore. Who knows? Maybe they've been working on just that.

So in conclusion as to proof of Theory we have:
1. Lucent Liminid is an enchantment creature whos flavor text refers to the sun goddess *aka possibly Theros, the goddess of summer.
2. Future sight cards with unique concepts have been proven to show up in future sets.
3. Ton' of enchantment related cards in M14.
They might. There's not really any evidence of enchantment creatures becoming a thing, although it is of course sensible to assume that there's a reason for the enchantment theme overall. Not sure if it's gonna go in that particular direction, though. And there really isn't much reason to assume it would.

I mean, maybe Treefolk tribal is gonna happen again with olive trees and such. It's possible, but there's no real reason to assume so beyond vague speculation.
You deleted the old thread, and made the exact same one with a different name, right?

I hope they will do it.
...Ravnica didn't have a lot of enchantment removal, right? (Back to Nature-level)
I'd like them to revive this sub-type.
Make an enchanment creature that mixes Verduran Enchantress with Yavimaya Enchantress and watch the world burn.
Like a Kor Spiritdancer, weaker boosting but stronger versatility. Be it cc2 or 5 it wouldn't matter.
Argothian Enchantress comes back with Hexproof or is reprinted under a new name.

"Legend Enchantress"
2GG
Legendary Creature - Human Druid
Hexproof
Enchantment spells you control can't be countered.
Whenever you cast an enchantment spell, draw a card.
When an enchantment enters the battlefield, put a  +1/+1 counter on target creature you control.
2/2
They did tweet at a future-shifted card would show up here. Lucent Liminid does seem like the most likely candidate.

CURRENT EDH DECKS: Sek'kuar | Kraj | Teysa | Wort | Purphoros | Varolz | Reaper King | Rakdos | Isperia | Ultimus | Iroas | Macar | Roon | Marath | Kruphix | Karametra | Marchesa

They did tweet at a future-shifted card would show up here. Lucent Liminid does seem like the most likely candidate.

More likely card to be future shifted here in my opinion is Nimbus Maze. Seems very much a realm of the gods, or whatever. 

That bit of text on Gatherer is there because there are multiple ways to turn creatures into enchantments and vice versa.

Enchanted Evening, Opalesence, and like one or two other ones I'm forgetting. The first two I know well because they're popular in EDH. 

I'm not saying Enchantments won't have a role to play in Theros (they will, but not on Urza's Legacy level) but I'm pretty sure the reason MaRo said he didn't like it was for a gameplay reason. But its been a while since he talked about that, so who knows.

(at)MrEnglish22

Shadowchu:

There's also Nessian Courser. But a Nimbus Maze reprint and cycle does seem appropriate, with the Shocklands being in Standard and all. That will still encourage tricolor play but also welcomes dual-color decks.

Maybe [C]Oath of the ancient Wood[/C] will become a powerful card and we just don't know yet. :D

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

But a Nimbus Maze reprint and cycle does seem appropriate, with the Shocklands being in Standard and all. That will still encourage tricolor play but also welcomes dual-color decks.

Actually, that makes it more unlikely. The reason the Core Duals weren't in M14 was because they wanted to scale back the mana bases a bit, and I believe someone on the mothership said that the Theros cycle of Dual lands wouldn't interact with the Shocks as well as the Core Duals do.
But a Nimbus Maze reprint and cycle does seem appropriate, with the Shocklands being in Standard and all. That will still encourage tricolor play but also welcomes dual-color decks.

Actually, that makes it more unlikely. The reason the Core Duals weren't in M14 was because they wanted to scale back the mana bases a bit, and I believe someone on the mothership said that the Theros cycle of Dual lands wouldn't interact with the Shocks as well as the Core Duals do.

And nimbus maze is worse than buddylands when dealing wiht shocks. If I'm playing bant and play a temple garden turn one and nimbus maze turn 2, I can produce or . With a glacial fortress, I could produce  or . At comic con, they said that there will be one future sight card and they're going to do something never done before outside of future sight. That means we can see nimbus maze and enchantment creatures in Theros.
Maybe the new enchantment-creature subtype will be something along the lines of Haunted Platemail's special abilty. Maybe the enchantment will come in as a creature if you control none.

As for the future sight card thing, I'm highly assuming it'll be "Fortifications" since only ONE card (Darksteel Garrison) had that type, and it seemed like a cool idea to me at the time.
Maybe the new enchantment-creature subtype will be something along the lines of Haunted Platemail's special abilty. Maybe the enchantment will come in as a creature if you control none.

As for the future sight card thing, I'm highly assuming it'll be "Fortifications" since only ONE card ( gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Defaul...[Darksteel]+[Garrison] ) had that type, and it seemed like a cool idea to me at the time.

There's only one enchantment creature too.
Maybe [C]Oath of the ancient Wood[/C] will become a powerful card and we just don't know yet. :D

Oaths used to be like enchant worlds

oh well

kinda sad and limititing

NO WAR

On Entrance; put a land you control owner's hand.

: gather , or .

and tap a creature you control: add or remove

an underground counter to or from that creaure.

Creatures with underground counters

can only block or be blocked by

other creatures with underground counters.

~ancient and forgotten dwell

Shadowchu:

There's also Nessian Courser. But a Nimbus Maze reprint and cycle does seem appropriate, with the Shocklands being in Standard and all. That will still encourage tricolor play but also welcomes dual-color decks.

Keep trying dude. Your job in R&D is opening up soon. 
Armor of Styx enchant creature
Enchanted creature is indestructible.
When Enchanted creature is targeted for damage;
  sacrifice it

~the human grasp to keep him from drowning
   foretold Achilles' downfall
NO WAR

Shadowchu:

If you don't like these threads, stop coming into them. It's really not that hard.

MTG Rules Advisor

I can only handle effects that I plan for
NO WAR

Armor of Styx enchant creature
Enchanted creature HAS indestructible.
When Enchanted creature is targeted for damage;
  sacrifice it

~the human grasp to keep him from drowning
   foretold Achilles' downfall

Fixed.
thanks
NO WAR

Shadowchu:

Are you seriously giving people crap for speculation in the Speculation forum? Dude, find something better to do. 

Bro, do you even Autocard?

Autocarding: [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Showing somebody how to autocard: [c[b][/b]]Cryptic Command[/c] = [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Guys, it's confirmed that there may or may not be cards in theros that have effects similar to other cards they have previously printed in another set with other cards. And these cards will probably have card types, and probably have mana costs unless they don't.
Guys, it's confirmed that there may or may not be cards in theros that have effects similar to other cards they have previously printed in another set with other cards. And these cards will probably have card types, and probably have mana costs unless they don't.

mathamatical dude

Sounds like a MaRo spoiler.
Shadowchu:

Are you seriously giving people crap for speculation in the Speculation forum? Dude, find something better to do. 

didn't some artical writer just last his last artical ?

NO WAR

I found another piece of evidence to support my initial theory of enchantment based creatures or enchantments that work similarly to creatures are going to be in Theros. During the commentary for Pro Tour Dragon's Maze something Zac Hill said, who was part of the team who worked on Theros block, had caught my attention.

It occurs around 0:15:30 as Zac and the other commentator are talking about Legion Loyalist's ability, which is:
Battalion — Whenever Legion Loyalist and at least two other creatures attack, creatures you control gain first strike and trample until end of turn and can't be blocked by creature tokens this turn. 

After the other commentator reads the battalion effect of Legion Loyalist Zac interjects, "Can't be blocked by creature tokens. So if you have enchantment tokens that can somehow block..." and then he trails off, leaving the other commentator confused as to what he could be refering to, actually asking if that was a spoiler. Zac plays it off jokingly saying, "Look man, I don't know..."

The important thing is he doesn't deny it which leads me to believe there is some truth to it. Knowing what we know now about how Theros is an enchantment based set it's possible he was hinting at enchantment related creatures. It's very coincidental that Zac would pull "enchantment based tokens with the ability to block," out of thin air if it didn't have some truth to it.
Well I was the one to suggest enchantment creatures in Theros so I am on this bandwagon.

Choo Choo
Maybe that's the key to making Enchantment Creatures distinct. Make them almost exclusively tokens. That way, they will come across as a kind of summoned, animated magic, rather than a normal creature that is also somehow not. Legion Loyalist would still get around them though if they were always both.
I found another piece of evidence to support my initial theory of enchantment based creatures or enchantments that work similarly to creatures are going to be in Theros. During the commentary for Pro Tour Dragon's Maze something Zac Hill said, who was part of the team who worked on Theros block, had caught my attention.

It occurs around 0:15:30 as Zac and the other commentator are talking about Legion Loyalist's ability, which is:
Battalion — Whenever Legion Loyalist and at least two other creatures attack, creatures you control gain first strike and trample until end of turn and can't be blocked by creature tokens this turn. 

After the other commentator reads the battalion effect of Legion Loyalist Zac interjects, "Can't be blocked by creature tokens. So if you have enchantment tokens that can somehow block..." and then he trails off, leaving the other commentator confused as to what he could be refering to, actually asking if that was a spoiler. Zac plays it off jokingly saying, "Look man, I don't know..."

The important thing is he doesn't deny it which leads me to believe there is some truth to it. Knowing what we know now about how Theros is an enchantment based set it's possible he was hinting at enchantment related creatures. It's very coincidental that Zac would pull "enchantment based tokens with the ability to block," out of thin air if it didn't have some truth to it.

Thanks for that link, ive been hearing a loot of people refering to it without any source. Seems legit enough, he may have just mixed his formats with r&d testing and we actually may have enchantments that can block. think about some sort of magic ward that protects the cities from creatures but can be overwhelmed. BAM top down flavor.
This is good speculation and I hope they have some sort of enchantment creatures.
We might also see the Opal mechanic return. Enchantments that become creatures under the right conditions.

Thanks for that link, ive been hearing a loot of people refering to it without any source. Seems legit enough, he may have just mixed his formats with r&d testing and we actually may have enchantments that can block. think about some sort of magic ward that protects the cities from creatures but can be overwhelmed. BAM top down flavor.

Not a problem!
Sign In to post comments