Servitude in Death

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Looking around the internet the only applications of Servitude in Death I have seen are combat oriented. This confused me greatly because I immediatly saw the potential for role-play. I have been waiting a while, and finally a situation is coming up that I think will benifet from this power. 

So, backstory, we are an evil party who wishes to take over the continent that the campaign is set on. Before I joined the party, the group stormed a small village and enslaved them, which drew some nasty attention from other goverments. Because of the repracussions we have not been able to expand our sphere of enfluence.

We are currently in a small kingdom where the king is often going on hunts for game with a small amount of guards. Is there any reason we couldn't attack the king and I use Servitude in Death to dominate the king and have him be my puppet. Effectivly taking over the goverment of this small nation. 
No. No reason at all why you couldn't ;) If something isn't covered in the rulebooks, then the rules aren't saying "You can't do it," they're saying "You're in complete control of how you do it," and I wish more people got that. Believe me, I remember the first time that I realized that.

The important thing: your idea sounds Extremely Super Cool™, and looking for excuses to make cool things happen in a fantasy game is a lot less boring than looking for excuses not to.

What kind of cool challenges are you considering for the aftermath? Maybe rival assassins who had similar ideas and don't want the party getting in the way? Perhaps the king has personal guards trained to detect such manipulation and they need to be taken out first?

And if the coup works, what do you plan to do with the country? How could those plans inspire your rivals to cause problems for you even if they don't know exactly what's happening or how?

Remember, even if the scheme fails, the party could portray themselves as the heroes who solved the problem until people find out they casued it ;)

Founder - but not owner - of Just Say Yes!

Member of LGBT Gamers

Odds are, if 4-6 people can't figure out an answer you thought was obvious, you screwed up, not them. - JeffGroves
Which is why a DM should present problems to solve, not solutions to find. -FlatFoot
Why there should be the option to use alignment systems:
Show
If some people are heavily benefiting from the inclusion of alignment, then it would behoove those that AREN'T to listen up and pay attention to how those benefits are being created and enjoyed, no? -YagamiFire
But equally important would be for those who do enjoy those benefits to entertain the possibility that other people do not value those benefits equally or, possibly, do not see them as benefits in the first place. -wrecan (RIP)
That makes sense. However, it is not fair to continually attack those that benefit for being, somehow, deviant for deriving enjoyment from something that you cannot. Instead, alignment is continually attacked...it is demonized...and those that use it are lumped in with it.

I think there is more merit in a situation where someone says "This doesn't work! It's broken!" and the reply is "Actually it works fine for me. Have you considered your approach might be causing it?"

than a situation where someone says "I use this system and the way I use it works really well!" and the back and forth is "No! It is a broken bad system!" -YagamiFire

One of the things I love most about D&D is the fact that you can do anything. I mostly asked because the DM does everything in his power to fallow all the rules. I wasn't sure if there was some obscure rule about it.

As for after effects, I mostly have two methods of doing this, right now the campaign is 8 people split into two seperate groups who meet on different days of the week. The war leader is in the other group, so if something goes wrong and people become suspicsios then the other group can swoop in and rid the country of the evil undead imposter of the king and be heralded as heros, earning the gratitude and debt of the people.

If everything goes right, then I might get the king to start negotiating to align the kingdom with other small nations in an attempt to strike out at the largest country on the continent.

Worst case scenario is the king declars martial law and have men posted in the streets and occupy homes. During this time several barrels of oil and sawdest would be spread accross the town. When revolt eventually rises then it will be a simple matter of starting a fire and buring the capital to the ground.

So best case scenario is a pawn on a incredibly high level, worst case scenario is that there is one less country in the way with no impkications towards our group. 
Would your party be interested in some creative multi-kingdom domination schemes I've found?

General Tarquin from the Order of the Stick webcomic
Show
Runs an evil party of 6 who have paired off to advise the rulers of the continent's three largest kingdoms to attack the smaller nations around them. When one of the kingdoms invades a state and subjugates it for a few months of absolute tyranny (playing the bad cop), one of the other two kingdoms steps in to wage war on the invaders and recommends that the state join their kingdom instead "for their own protection" (playing the good cop).
Even when the new tyranny becomes almost as bad for the conquered state as the first one had been, nobody in the conquered states would rebel against the "rescuers" who took the credit for organizing the previous rebellion and saving them from an even worse dictatorship, and they still don't know that they are under the grip of the same 6 people that had been playing the rulers against each other.

Genghis Khan from the Conquerer novels
Show
The disparate Mongol tribes had been fighting ceaselessly against the disparate Tartar tribes, but Genghis spent one winter having his armies attack as many Tartar settlements as possible. Not to destroy them, but to unite the Tartars in defense against the threat of Genghis's armies so that the Mongols would have to in turn unite to defend against the terryfing new threat of a unified Tartar force.

Founder - but not owner - of Just Say Yes!

Member of LGBT Gamers

Odds are, if 4-6 people can't figure out an answer you thought was obvious, you screwed up, not them. - JeffGroves
Which is why a DM should present problems to solve, not solutions to find. -FlatFoot
Why there should be the option to use alignment systems:
Show
If some people are heavily benefiting from the inclusion of alignment, then it would behoove those that AREN'T to listen up and pay attention to how those benefits are being created and enjoyed, no? -YagamiFire
But equally important would be for those who do enjoy those benefits to entertain the possibility that other people do not value those benefits equally or, possibly, do not see them as benefits in the first place. -wrecan (RIP)
That makes sense. However, it is not fair to continually attack those that benefit for being, somehow, deviant for deriving enjoyment from something that you cannot. Instead, alignment is continually attacked...it is demonized...and those that use it are lumped in with it.

I think there is more merit in a situation where someone says "This doesn't work! It's broken!" and the reply is "Actually it works fine for me. Have you considered your approach might be causing it?"

than a situation where someone says "I use this system and the way I use it works really well!" and the back and forth is "No! It is a broken bad system!" -YagamiFire

Hmmm, I think for now we are good, the DM is really invested in the story he is doing, but I will definatly save these for later. With a group of 8 + dm we are always looking at good split up campaign ideas.
IIRC, there was a build centered around this concept floating around CharOp, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Is there any reason we couldn't attack the king and I use Servitude in Death to dominate the king and have him be my puppet. Effectivly taking over the goverment of this small nation. 

There's no rule-based reason why you can't - although some DMs could rule that the power expires after a few minutes, and some may insist on having sufficient contact with the creature in order to take actions.

However, creatures controlled by that power are obviously detected - they're undead, look like they've been stabbed a few times before being killed, and are much less energetic than a living creature (e.g. as it is dominated, it acts rather clunky or mechanically.)   But if you can prevent people from closely inspecting the body or intimidating the underlings, you have a pupper king.

(I wonder how the dominated condition works if the controlling creature is a few miles away...)
Don't think it's got a range limit, aside from the actual usage of the power(s) which allow you to Dominate.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Sign In to post comments