X-Men: Days of future past

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
My temple name is Elohim. What is your super-secret temple name?
Riddle me this
How can two people with physical bodies make spirit babies?
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
That's pretty cool!
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
As I recall, the original Days of Future Past storyline involved Rachel Summers (the daughter of Scott Summers and Jean Grey-Summers) using her powers to send Kitty Pryde's soul/mind back in time to possess her younger self to stop the assassination of Senator Kelly.

It was also quite fun in the way it showed all the powerful X-Man dying horribly in the future.

In the movies, Kelly died in the first movie, Scott and Jean died in the third, and apparently this entire story is going to be a continuation from the First Class cast, making Kitty not even born yet (not that Rachel has any chance to be born anyway).

So I suspect the movie will necessarily diverge quite dramatically from the original story, keeping only the themes intact.  I hope they retain the "show everyone dying dramatically in super-awesome fights" from the original though.  Because what's the point of a horrible future you're averting (while you're showing it) if you can't have everyond die?  Even that Wolverine and the X-Men got that right (along with Emma Frost putting an SUV into park as it fell off a bridge).

Still... the biggest worry for me isn't the necessary plot changes (which will be what keeps it interesting), but that none of the First Class characters were that interesting.  Well, Mystique and Magneto were interesting, but the rest didn't exactly grab interest, ya know?
Resident Over-Educated Ivory-Tower Elitist [You don't have the Need-to-Know for that, citizen]
my biggest concern is how they plan to make The Summer Family Tree understandable : tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Tang...      

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
How did the original Days of Future Past fit into the Marvel Universe as a whole? Because it always seemed to me as if the X-Men should be separate from it and are treated as such.
Motto - Don't Damn Me, Guns N' Roses http://adhadh.deviantart.com/ - my dA page adhadh.png
All I gotta say about Sentinels is: About friggin' time.
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

How did the original Days of Future Past fit into the Marvel Universe as a whole? Because it always seemed to me as if the X-Men should be separate from it and are treated as such.

I dunno. I think I would like to see all the Marvel Universe movies on the same time line. I dont know about you but I was always a fan of the comics that featured  team-up and crossovers. Keep it on the same line and they could print money if they did some sort of Secret Wars or Infinity Gauntlet, 3 movie series.

I dream of Beer Head Armies.

Autocard is our friend. [c‍]Urborg Mindsucker[/‍c] → Urborg Mindsucker

@Warghoul: Currently, they can't. The old Marvel regime sold out IP piecemeal; the current owners have been trying to get everything back under one umbrella, movie-wise, for years now. That's why you don't see Stan Lee in any of the X-Men or Spider-Man movies.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
@Warghoul: Currently, they can't. The old Marvel regime sold out IP piecemeal; the current owners have been trying to get everything back under one umbrella, movie-wise, for years now. That's why you don't see Stan Lee in any of the X-Men or Spider-Man movies.

Stan Lee was in the last Spider-Man film. He played the school librarian during the fight between Spidie and the Lizard.
my biggest concern is how they plan to make The Summer Family Tree understandable : tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Tang...      

I think they made the family tree understandable by dumping bleach on the roots (aka: killing Scott and Jean).  That and the various alternate universes that are also reboots (like any TV show, the movies and the Ultimate universe) tend to pick and choose (quite liberally) how much of that backlog they care about.  I mean, in the Ultimate Universe we had Cable being a time-travelling Wolverine and the Phoenix, while similar in effect, was quite different in what it was (which may conflict with things said about the Phoenix in 616 regarding it's role in the multi-verse but eh, like you could take it's word on the matter anyway).

So long story short (too late, I know) they're gonna ignore the family tree up until they think of something to do with it.  I mean hell, they already made Scott's younger brother old enough to be his dad.  So I doubt we're gonna have to worry about how Xavier fits into the tree through Scott's secret space-trotting brother's mix-up in the Shi'Ar empire, how Ultron fits into the family tree through a liberal definition of "father", Scarlet Witch, and whether or not Polaris is currently one of Magneto's children, or if lost-in-space-and-time souls that were stolen from Mephisto and were once magically generated babies still count as someone's "children" after they've warped reality and found new bodies that may or may not have existed prior to the souls entering them1.

And as Draco said, current IP licensing agreements keep the X-Men out of the Avengers "world" as far as the movies go (the Fantastic Four as well, I think, but I can't remember for sure).  Part of that same agreement is why we continue to see an X-Men movie every year or so (Wolverine, First Class, now the Wolverine, next the Days of Future Past, so-on).  IIRC, if they stop making movies they lose the license.

But even if they do let go of the license and Marvel/Disney gets to make their own movies again, that would involve a reboot.  Which might not necessarily be bad, but eh.
________
1Don't get me wrong, I like Speed and Wiccan and the idea is neat, but the age jump from "not-real soul-stolen baby" to "teenager" always bothered me.  Was it just another reality warp, did the lost souls attach themselves to existing teenagers and displace a soul or merge with it?  Has this ever been explained?  Just about everyone (including Wanda and Magneto) seem to accept the results, but no one seems to have worried about how they got there.  I mean, we go from "the babies were never real" in House of M to a few years later "the souls are in teenagers" in Young Avengers (confirmed in Children's Crusade).  Also, the possibility that through Wiccan and Hulkling you now have both the Skrull and Kree empires tenuously in Scott's family tree.
Resident Over-Educated Ivory-Tower Elitist [You don't have the Need-to-Know for that, citizen]
I dunno. I think I would like to see all the Marvel Universe movies on the same time line. I dont know about you but I was always a fan of the comics that featured  team-up and crossovers. Keep it on the same line and they could print money if they did some sort of Secret Wars or Infinity Gauntlet, 3 movie series.

Yeah, but X-Men never seemed to mesh properly with the rest of MU, aside from Wolverine everywhere.
It bothered me how in the old X-Men cartoon and in Wolverine and the X-Men the bad future showed complete disregard for non-Mutant superheroes or villains, despite the fact that they were present in "current" times occasionally (Wolv even had a Hulk episode). Same with Magneto's attack on the Whitehouse at the end of first UXM story arc; I admit I don't know much about Ultimate Universe, but weren't the Ultimates already formed by then? Where were they?

Motto - Don't Damn Me, Guns N' Roses http://adhadh.deviantart.com/ - my dA page adhadh.png
The volume of "geek" in this thread is amazing. Kinda like Spider-Man.
Boraxe wrote: "Knowledge of the rules and creativity are great attributes for a DM, but knowing when to cut loose and when to hold back, when to follow the rules and when to discard them, in order to enhance the enjoyment of the game is the most important DM skill of all." Keeper of the Sacred Kitty Bowl of the House of Trolls. Resident Kitteh-napper.
Same with Magneto's attack on the Whitehouse at the end of first UXM story arc; I admit I don't know much about Ultimate Universe, but weren't the Ultimates already formed by then? Where were they?

Nope, Ultimates weren't formed yet.  That was kinda the reason for them to be formed.

Nope, Ultimates weren't formed yet.  That was kinda the reason for them to be formed.

...wow, something in a superhero comic makes sense.

The Secret Wars was pretty cool. It also showed how even the characters within the Marvel universe sort of considered the X-Men to be separate, which was why they left "Team Heroes" and struck out on their own.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.

Yeah, but X-Men never seemed to mesh properly with the rest of MU, aside from Wolverine everywhere.
It bothered me how in the old X-Men cartoon and in Wolverine and the X-Men the bad future showed complete disregard for non-Mutant superheroes or villains, despite the fact that they were present in "current" times occasionally (Wolv even had a Hulk episode). Same with Magneto's attack on the Whitehouse at the end of first UXM story arc; I admit I don't know much about Ultimate Universe, but weren't the Ultimates already formed by then? Where were they?

I think there was a Spider-Man comic that addressed this rather well (I forget which one). Basically, every hero or hero team had their own niche. A lot of the really powerful ones like the Avengers were usually busy dealing with intergalactic threats and so the guys Spider-Man was dealing with (even if they were mass murderers) just didn't even register on their radar. I think it was sort of a similar deal with the X-Men. Mutant business was probably seen by the rest of the heroes as mutant business, plus they all had their own villains they were dealing with. I imagine that the mutant extermination was either way too big for some heroes (Spider-Man, Punisher) or too small to be of notice until it was way too late (Avengers, Fantastic Four).

Or it's a freakin comic book so shut up and accept it just like all the other inconsistencies in the universe.

Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.

The Secret Wars was pretty cool. It also showed how even the characters within the Marvel universe sort of considered the X-Men to be separate, which was why they left "Team Heroes" and struck out on their own.

They even said go screw yourselves when asked to wiegh in on a side during Civil War...atleast some of them did

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls