Where is D&D Going?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Having cancelled my D&DI (again) due to the lack of communication, I signed up again for 3 months as I wanted to use the 4E tools. I have now decided that Pathfinder and Herolab is far easier (and free) and, having seen the last month or so of online content, am wondering where D&D goes from here?

The latest issue of Dragon, on the theme of elemental  evil, which is probably one of the most written about subjects in D&D, is throughly uninspiring. It is an issue largely of fluff with no commitment to either D&D Next or 4E. To my mind, the game seems to be drifting and whilst that may be because there will be a great big announcement of a product schedule at Gen Con, I'm not convinced that is why. I think the game is drifting more because those who design it are no longer sure who their audience is.

I've said elsewhere that D&D Next  does not, at the moment, appeal to me and I appreciate I may be in the minority but I am curious where others think the game is going?
Where is D&D going? To hell in a handbasket since 2000. I figure this is likely it's swan song at this point. Wotc hasn't produced one version of this game that could hold my intrest in 13 years. The only thing this company has ever done for me is relent on their anti TSR version montra and produce reprints and pdf's. ( This is the only current D&D making money for them). This company divided it's fans, throws them away every 5-8 years, and believes legacy players like myself are going to buy their wana be retro 3.5 game just because it's labeled "Next". It's laughable.
Personally this the first time since 2002/2003 that I've been excited by D&D. I don't know if it's a perfect storm of events and a new system, but I'm waiting with baited breath for announcements and hopeful for the future.

The Sundering line of adventures/products seem like they're exactly what I'm looking for in adventures/fluff.

Fingers crossed.
I have no idea.  I want a more basic version of pathfinder, not sure if I like Bounded Accuracy.  I think it's back to BECMI/1E/2E for my basic games, and pathfinder for my more tactical games.
I'm not sure what we'll see as a final product for D & D Next / 5 E but I'm happy with the play testing so far . . .

I feel like the team at WotC is doing their best to make the new game all things to everyone who enjoys D & D.

Not everyone is going to get everything that they want. Theres just no way that can happen.

I guess it has alot to do with what kind of person you are . . .

- The glass is half full.

- The glass is half empty.

I have high hopes that D & D Next / 5 E will be a great success.

Fingerss crossed . . .

I'll tell you where it's not going at this point: in my library of reference books. The reason ? Quite simple, there is simply nothing being published for the moment I don't already have.

Will I be buying stuff from 5 E ? At this point, it's kinda doubtfull I'll buy many products when they finally are being published since I'm part of the unheard minority that's not really happy with the huge step backwards taken by the playtest. THe other reason is that I bought 13th age after participating to their playtest as well and it's all I could ask for a d&d next.

I think I'll keep buying fluff books (settings especially) since I love that kind of books, but, as it stands now I don't see myself buying anything else in terms of rule books except the core ones. WOTC is loosing me, and all my table as a paying customer.
I'm not sure what we'll see as a final product for D & D Next / 5 E but I'm happy with the play testing so far . . .

I feel like the team at WotC is doing their best to make the new game all things to everyone who enjoys D & D.

Not everyone is going to get everything that they want. Theres just no way that can happen.

I guess it has alot to do with what kind of person you are . . .

- The glass is half full.

- The glass is half empty.

I have high hopes that D & D Next / 5 E will be a great success.

Fingerss crossed . . .

Not really sure it's a pessimism / optimism thing. There are no products being published at the moment on which I can either offer an opinion or spend my cash should I want to. The playtest seems to be meandering between a variety of different goals while largely ignoring any of the positives developed by 4E. To my mind, it is trying to appeal to an audience that is so wide that it is becoming something that is being designed by committee and such products are rarely successful.

I hope that what finally emerged as D&D Next will be a success but I do not share your level of optimism that this is actually what will happen.

The D&D has got two parts: the IP (intellectual Property, the background) and the rules, the game mechanic. The IP, the franchise, has got a great future (videogames, toys, comics, novels..) but the game system is other matter. 

The game design of the next D&D is maybe the highest challenge in the industry. If it is a sucess, it can be the ultimate rpg, the equivalent to WoW in the MMOs industry. 

We can´t know the future, only do suggestions to help to create a better D&D next.  

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

So far, I'm okay with where the 5e game seems to be going, rules-wise. I'll admit that I don't think it's better than my personal favorite edition, but I do think it's an improvement in many ways to what has been. However, I would argue that they have ignored a large portion of the potential revenue by slowing down or ignoring the settings and novels. One of the biggest drawbacks to 4e for me was the focus on the Forgotten Realms, with some limited support for Eberron and Dark Sun. I would like to see some of the old settings back, which can be used in a personal world if not in that setting (when the DM is creative). More novels, Dragonlance, Greyhawk, Mystara, Birthright, Planescape; these are my hopes for the new direction.

Oh, and where's the bard??? 

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

http://radiofreeborderlands.libsyn.com/

I'll tell you where it's not going at this point: in my library of reference books. The reason ? Quite simple, there is simply nothing being published for the moment I don't already have.

I think this is my mindset as well.  At this point in the 2E/3E/4E release cycle I was fit to be chained.  For Next?  Meh.  I don't particularly like the approach to completely retcon anything to do with 4E out of existance.  Also, do we need YET AGAIN another "Sundering" for Forgotten Realms?  At this point, the setting has become so unstable that it has become toxic.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

"At Home, people tend to build characters that they want to play week after week, and watch it grow and evolve.. online, they tend to build weed whackers with a name. Great for whacking weeds, not so great at entertaining guests, or home decor." - Agonar

The future of D&D is a shonen spin-off of "My little pony: frienship is magic" where the main characters are teenages kentaurides (=female centaurs) living in a sword & sorcery world with a amerimanga look. Wouldn´t you like see Applejack as a Xena-like barbarian amazon kicking-ass?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing 

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

Purgatory as I see it. The design of the game (including the newest packet) has shown nothing of innovation and a cluster of where the design is going. The general direction is to the way it was in the past but even then it falls short of being a clone to 3/3.5. In all it shows the designers haven't nailed down the basics of what they want to achieve yet.
The future of all RPGs will be the videogame industry, and the tablets and maybe, only maybe, the Augmented reality.

The 3D printers can change the miniatures wargames. The future of miniatures will be figures with NFC (Near Field Comunication) (Let´s see Spiro: Skylanders, Disney Infinity, Agry Birds Magic, Pokemon rumble U...) 

I suggest a K-reo spin-off to a equivalent to playmobil.

I rebember the Shadowrun duels, game with collectable action figures, epic fail...

---

How do I imagine my perfect D&D videogame? A multigenre retrocompatible with spin-off, for example the core would be a action-rpg but the expansions would be different genres like Real-Time-Strategy, Kingdom Simulation or Social life simulation like sims medieval where PCs are (almost) no-adventures, for example farmers, craftmen, handlers, traders or bar managers. I like the idea of different tittles sharing a common store for clothes, furnitire and those things.   

Unfortunately, Dungeons & Dragons is a victim of its own success.

It has been around for nearly 40 years, and has appeared in a wide variety of incarnations. By this I mean not only the different editions of the tabletop rules, but the novels, the videogames, the boardgames, the minis games, and all the various art and other merchandising efforts. Each and every one of these has injected into the mix yet another perspective on what D&D "is".

The result is that they're struggling to make a game for everyone, when the problem is that everyone wants a different game.

Instead of continuing to paint themselves into a corner, they will need to embrace this fact and work with it instead of against it. The modular aspect of D&D Next seems to be a strong effort towards such a product.

People are very critical of the rules packet releases here, but we easily forget that the D&D game that is presented to us in each packet is not the overall game. These packets, from what I can tell, are each trying to test out different ideas and aspects. Of course none of them are "the one true D&D". That's the whole point. But just so long as the various "lego blocks" are able to interact with each other without too much gear grinding, then when the final book is published you should be able to create a D&D that is fairly close to your preconcieved notion of what the game "should" be.

I'm pretty optimistic, actually. Yeah, there are various ideas and rules in the packets I'm not happy with. But I'll just not use those rules then. Or I'll tweak it. End of problem!

I don't think the brand is failing...yet. D&D Next is likely their last chance though. Even if it works and does reasonably well, it needs to do better than 4e did economically. If it doesn't, I predict the brand will be whored out into Dungon Master keychains and barbarian bumperstickers until Hasbro finally decides they can get more by selling the IP than they can by merchandising.

Then maybe Piazo will buy it. Laughing