WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME! - Question

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi guys,

I am a complete beginner and am looking to play Magic the Gathering via the Internet. I have a lot of questions though, so I hope you'll have some patience with me :D

I hear that people are playing this game on various online platforms... some play it on Magic The Gathering Online and others play Magic the Gathering - Duels of planewalkers 2014.

What exactly is the difference between these platforms? and which is more popular? with a larger player base? and which has a better competitive scene with tournaments or a ladder system?

Which platform do you guys prefer and why?

--------------

I was wondering if someone could explain MTG - Duels of planewalkers to me a bit :D  With the card game, people buy cards from game stores, but in Dotp how do you actually acquire and collect cards? can you grind the game like an MMO and collect more cards the more you play the game?

And what is this sealed campaign? Is this the place where you can earn more cards? i know that you can earn boosters from playing the sealed campaign, but can you repeat sealed campaign over and over and keep getting boosters this way in order to acquire more cards? and can these cards you acquired from the boosters in sealed campaign be used in all other modes? as in, are they permanently in your collection and can be used for all game modes?

What is the game mode, or preferred Tournament format? (one that allows all cards a player has? structured? or limited?)

------------------

lastly, what's the best way to collect cards without spending a substantial amount in this game? i read on a site that says it's a good idea to save the boosters and exchange/sell them for event tickets? and then sell those for the cards that you want?

What's the best way to acquire a good deck as a beginner? theory craft a style you want to play and trade with other people or buy cards that only conicide with the deck you have theorycrafted?

Magic Online is a better overall system by far but the learning curve is steep.

DOTP has 10 base decks of 60 cards, with 40 additional cards per deck that you can unlock (for free, 1 card per win, although you can pay to unlock if you want).  The cards in the 10 decks are identical to the cards everyone else has.  You can customize your deck with the extra cards, so your 60 card deck might play a little differently from mine.   

DOTP is great, and a good introduction, but it doesn't have many of the things you've asked about ...deck building, a working ladder system, a tournament structure.  MTGO has all of those but is far more expensive - you will spend hundreds of dollars to create a competitive deck.  In DOTP, you'll spend 10 dollars.  Some people on this board host informal tournaments, but there's nothing officially supported by the DOTP software.  

Sealed mode allows you to open 9 boosters from a limited pool to build your own deck.  It's a decent introduction to deck building, but it's simpler and easier than the real sealed format from Magic, which has you open 6 boosters, build a deck and immediately compete in a tournament against other players who have done the same.  You can only play sealed decks against other sealed decks and you can't ever reset your sealed deck.  You get two sealed decks for free and can buy up to 18 more.

I'd recommend that you start with DOTP to learn the game.  It's built for new players, but it's complex enough that tons of experienced players play it as well, because it is very fun.  If you decide you like it, but want more, then move to MTGO.

Which platform do you guys prefer and why?

I play Ipad, since i dont have an Xbox or a PS..

lastly, what's the best way to collect cards without spending a substantial amount in this game? i read on a site that says it's a good idea to save the boosters and exchange/sell them for event tickets? and then sell those for the cards that you want?

For MTGO - this is correct.  I started off making the mistake of opening my boosters...and, it was a mistake.  Now, the only reason I ever open boosters online is to play in sealed format.  If you are looking to make a constructed deck, sell the boosters, and buy the cards in the marketplace...or, after you play some Duels (and I do suggest starting there - great place to learn) read up on the sealed formats, and give that a try...

Overall, (and I'm sure most on this forum agree), Magic is a great game.  I played paper magic around 20 years ago (wish I still had those cards!) and almost forgot about it until Duels came out, which quickly rekindled my love of the game.

Welcome to the fun!

Ipad - neosilk76 
Steam - neosilk 

Tired of the new forum format, and all it's problems?  Try a new forum!

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Ah.. i see. thanks for the clarification of the two games.
with the additional expansions packs that might come out for planeswalker 2014, will it ever get to the point where it will have the same amoutn of cards available to players instead of a limited version?

also, as a beginner, how much would it cost to build an ok beginner deck in MTGO? and can can i get rewarded with cards in MTGO by simply playing the game?

For a beginner, what would be a good size deck ?
with the additional expansions packs that might come out for planeswalker 2014, will it ever get to the point where it will have the same amoutn of cards available to players instead of a limited version?

also, as a beginner, how much would it cost to build an ok beginner deck in MTGO? and can can i get rewarded with cards in MTGO by simply playing the game?

Always 60 cards in constructed (40 in sealed). 
as for cost...you can build decent decks pretty cheaply. The better ones cost quite a bit. Stick to the casual rooms in MTGO, and you can get a good idea.

Ipad - neosilk76 
Steam - neosilk 

Tired of the new forum format, and all it's problems?  Try a new forum!

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

I have removed content from this thread because Copy Right Violations are a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the Report Post button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.

DOTP14 will always be limited, the cards for each deck have to stay in that deck and every deck has a set number of cards. There is a sealed mode in DOTP14, which is somewhat like opening real boosters, but again it's limited so you won't be able to get new cards for each new sealed deck (also each sealed deck past the initial two costs real money).

Magic Online offers you nearly every card in existence, if you want to build a cheap deck search for "RDW" or red aggro decks, those tend to be cheap. 
Just want to make it more clear about DotP's sealed mode and the resetting: You get pools that contain your deck and campaign and all that and it's these pools that can't reset but any deck you make can be changed as much as you like using the cards you unlocked from that pool from the total of 9 boosters you can get.

Also I guess it should be stated, if it's not already clear, that Magic Online is basiclaly real paper magic but online and follows all the same rules whereas Duels is more akin to other video games with campaigns and all that jazz.

Eye kneed teh speelchequer bach!