A net hunter advice

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm playing in a 6th level, super-hero themed 4e game and I want to be a Spider-Man type character. I figured that a human net hunter would work. I basically want to be able to do the basic things that Spidey does: wall-crawl, shoot webs, jump around. Take a look at my build and let me know what you think. Please be aware that I know this is not the most OP hunter build..I get that. I wouold just like some suggestions regarding my particular concept. Thanks in advance.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Arachnikid, level 6
Human, Ranger (Hunter)
Archery Style Option: Crossbow Hunter
Ranger Wilderness Knacks Option: Ambush Expertise (Ranger)
Ranger Wilderness Knacks Option: Wilderness Tracker (Ranger)
Level 4 Wilderness Knack Option: Beast Empathy (Ranger)
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort
Sarifal (Sarifal Benefit)
Theme: Cipher

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 14, CON 14, DEX 20, INT 10, WIS 12, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 13, CON 14, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 12, CHA 8

AC: 22 Fort: 20 Ref: 23 Will: 18
HP: 51 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +15, Athletics +12, Dungeoneering +9, Endurance +10, Perception +9, Stealth +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +3, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Heal +4, History +3, Insight +4, Intimidate +2, Nature +4, Religion +3, Streetwise +2, Thievery +8

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Ranger Utility: Aspect of the Pouncing Lynx
Ranger Utility: Aspect of the Seeking Falcon
Ranger Attack: Disruptive Shot
Ranger Attack: Aimed Shot
Ranger Attack: Clever Shot
Ranger Attack: Rapid Shot
Ranger Utility 2: Terrain Advantage
Athletics Utility 2: Scrambling Climb
Acrobatics Utility 6: Timely Dodge
Athletics Utility 6: Mighty Sprint

FEATS
Crossbow Expertise
Level 1: Master at Arms
Level 1: Net Training
Level 2: Precision Throw
Level 4: Improved Defenses
Level 6: Skill Power

ITEMS
Amulet of Protection +2 x1
Hand crossbow x1
Shipboard Leather Armor +2 x1
Net of Long Range +1 x1
Bracers of Brachiation (heroic tier) x1
Adventurer's Kit
Thieves' Tools
Magazine
Camouflaged Clothing
Footpads
Filter mask
Potion of Healing
====== End ======

Play a Wizard. "Webslinging" is much better done as a refluff of a real controllers powers than making a bad class (Hunter) even worse by using something that's inaccurate, low damage, and hilariously short range.

Besides, wizards actually have a power called Web.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Thanks for your input but I have to disagree. This hunter is not a bad class, is not inacurate, has good control and has a range of 15. I'm not inteested in playing the most OP controller...I'm interested in playing the most OP Spider-Man. I want a good athletics and acrobatics checks. I want to jump and climb. I want to shoot webs. I want to avoid attacks. You know...things Spider-Man would do. How does a wizard accomplish that? Where do the cantrips come into play, or the Ritual Caster, or having INT primary and not DEX?

I seem to get a lot of responses like "play something else" whenever I post a concept build in these forums. Not very helpful. If we all know that a wizard is the best controller then why would we ever play any other controller? Because we're going for a concept. And that's the advice I need...help me make this concept work...regardless of what is normally considered OP.

It sounds like you might be better off posting this in the Character Development forum.

Also, you're misusing "OP", which means "overpowered" (with the connotation that it's too powerful, or more powerful than it should be), not "powerful".

Also, I think you still don't grok refluffing.  Zathris is trying to help you make your concept as strong as it can be, by saying that the concept you have in mind needn't be tied to any particular mechanical effects. 
Thanks, but I grok refluffing perfectly well...I do it all the time. And Op is a common abreviation for optimized (as in Char Op). I know what I'm talking about and I know what Zarthis is advising. I just don't agree that it would be better in my particular case.

I came to this board to see if I could get some specific ideas to help me make a better Spider-Man, mechanically, than what I built...not to seek advice as to character development.
And you were given the standard CharOp advice, which is to make the best character you can, and reflavour it however the hell you want.

If what you want is to make the best climbing jumping net-using Hunter, then you've basically done that, given that it basically builds itself.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I really don't see how you can refluff Brainy Biochem Major/Freelance Photographer Peter Parker with Super Spider Strength and Agility as a Dextrous but stupid and ugly Net using Hunter if you can't refluff spellslinging as webslinging. The effects of the powers make so much more sense (like, actually having burst slow/prone/immobilize effects)

Wizard makes far more sense for the Character, both for fluff and mechanical reasons.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Believe OP also means Original Poster or Original Post, depending on context.
Organized Play.
I know you don't want to hear "play something else," but Executioner would be worth a look. Ghost of the Rooftops is pretty much the ultimate 'who needs althletics?' power. You could hybrid as well if you wanted a little more power variety.

Foamgather Heritage/Warrior are pretty good as well if you want to get the most out of nets.
Op is a common abreviation for optimized (as in Char Op).

Yes, "Op" in the longer phrase "Char Op" abbreviates "optimization", but you're the only person I see who uses "OP" (note the caps) outside of that context to abbreviate "optimization" as well.  It's idiosyncratic to you, just as it would be if you started using "CHAR" to abbreviate "character", as in, "Please help me OP my CHAR".

Also, whether hunters are good or bad is determined by how much better or worse they are at their job than other classes.  The hunter's control is competitive in early heroic tier but starts to get much worse than what other classes can do by paragon-ish.
Hunter's pretty good in heroic (its at-will control is pretty strong, and its encounter control is decent) but loses pace through early paragon, up to the point where you can do better control with a pure ranger by about 16th.

And playing one without a Superior Crossbow is almost never worth it.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
What are you willing to change? Race? Class? Background? Your feats seem set. To work on this build, what clay do we have?

Personally, i think a halfling feylock would be neat. Teleports are jumping around, racial powers and concealment are spidey-sense, and you have the cha for the intimidation the SM loves to do, not to mention the spandex suit. And this can be optimized to be an excellent striker/controller.

So what do you want us to advise on? If not race, feats, class,or equipment, then tell us how we CAN help, please.
Here's my net build.

Not OP, but op'ed.

Also, net snare + brawler could be pretty fun. 

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

"And playing one without a Superior Crossbow is almost never worth it" may be true...unless you want to play as Spider-Man.

Highborne, thanks for that link. I had already checked it out (and used much of it in my build) but at least you provided something useful. 

Mellored, thanks for your build link as well.

I think I got what I need.  
I think I got what I want.  

Content removed due to violation company.wizards.com/conduct 
I’ve removed content from this thread because baiting/ trolling  is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the Report Post button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.

"Lolth be praised; all victory is her doing."

I disagree. I am a roleplayer as much as I am a powerplayer, and I dislike having to 'refluff' pretty much anything. Yes, you can refluff a bear into a giant anteater for example, or maybe shooting bugs instead of shooting arrows, but there's something about keeping it to the original 'fluff' that interests me more than fluffing stuff.

Maybe it's the challenge of 'going the hard way' and rather than just refluffing everything, try to make the least number of changes possible.

Secondly, the OP (original poster in this case) requested for little to no refluffing, regardless. Maybe hunter is not the way to go, but definitely not refluffing a wizard.

Look, we're all here because we love this game, but we all have different ways of enjoying it. Don't trample on each other's ways of enjoying it. If you don't want to help the OP with what he needs to be helped with, then just don't post.

@OP: I think if you want to stick to the Hunter, what you are doing is fine. Well actually no - I'm surprised you didn't take Aspect of the Lurking Spider. The power screams spiderman.

Otherwise, if you can change classes, I'd suggest Druid. You can go for a spider form as your beast form.

Then you can get Form of the Primeval Spider and not only be a spider, but also gain a climbing speed equal to your normal speed.

You can also do a Druid/Ranger hybrid and take some Ranger powers as well (no Hunter-specific powers, but well).

And then take Acrobatics/Athletics utility powers. Such as Sudden Leap, Bounding Leap, or Scrambling Climb and tada! Very Spiderman-y. Also very reliant on Dexterity and Strength.

No need for all that Wizard refluff stuff.

[EDIT]

This post was made without knowledge of the post above.

[EDIT #2]

@OP: Also I know you've already taken Scrambling Climb, but I think you should take the other Athletics/Acrobatics skill powers as well. Also I think one of the Thief powers is good for you, can't remember which.
Playing a Wizard is less refluffing than playing a Hunter. Spidey doesn't carry around a net, you have to imagine away the primary physical trait of the characters powers, which is a lot more suspension of disbelief than "he shoots webbing from his hands" instead of "he shoots ice from his hands" (ray of frost). Net Hunter also comes with the absurdity of Spidey not being able to web more than 1 person at a time without resorting to throwing the net multiple times per action (rapid shot)

And that's where my problem lies, the OP doesn't want to play Spidey, he wants to play a Net Hunter that behaves is a manner slightly similar to Spidey because that's what his personal conception of the character is. As previously mentioned, that's not really something you need to go to CharOp for except maybe for us to say "make sure you qualify for Superior Will, and you probably want to use a Lightning Weapon because elemental Op is necessary"

Also, not refluffing much is less difficult, it's the lazy path; you're literally playing a character that the game dev's already concieved of existing, it's not your own character, it's theirs. This is the primary reason why people have such an issue with playing a Ranged Ranger (properly), "I quarry him, and then I shoot him twice with Two Fanged Strike, Action Point, and I shoot him twice more with Twin Strike" is kinda boring. Adding in the fluff text doesn't make it better "I tell the Orc Shaman that he's next, and sink two arrows into his flesh, then digging into my heroic resolve, fire two more shots in the hopes of finishing him off." Yeah, that also sucks, in part because you're getting too verbose in a game where spending 5 minutes on your turn is "going slow".

My Seeker|Ranger is being corrupted by the spellplague and is turning into a Beholder. I shoot Eye Beams at people. Eat Death Gaze, Thayan scum!
Similarly, my Ranger/Seeker, using the same PP, isn't turning into a Beholder - rather, he's got control of an enormous swarm of primal fly spirits, which he sends out to harry and distract his enemies, which surround him and conceal him from their sight, which bite and disturb them, etc etc.
I noticed that some content was removed from a post for violation of conduct rules. I'm not sure if it was mine, but if it was, and if I offended anyone...I apologize. Thanks to all for your advice.

I played my character, named Arachnikid, last night and did pretty well. The damage was quite low compared to the archer ranger and the barbarian (Hawk Guy and The Bulk). But his control and mobilty were very good. I have a climb speed so I was climbing everything I saw. I jumped around a few times (up to 5 squres away). I had a guy slowed, prone, immobilized and dazed at one point. I used my "Spidey Sense" to avoid attacks "Timely Dodge" and to win initiative in 2 encounters (and when I didn't win initiative, I moved my speed as a free action) and I never failed an acrobatics check.

It's not perfect...but it works fine. I went with the hunter because we don't have a controller in the party. I realize there may be other ways to play Spider-Man...I'll check out your suggestions.

Thanks again for the advice. 

@ Azedenkae, I didn't take Lurking Spider because I already have a climb speed.
I named my dude Pietre Parkour, and it was good for a few laughs.
Playing a Wizard is less refluffing than playing a Hunter. Spidey doesn't carry around a net, you have to imagine away the primary physical trait of the characters powers, which is a lot more suspension of disbelief than "he shoots webbing from his hands" instead of "he shoots ice from his hands" (ray of frost). Net Hunter also comes with the absurdity of Spidey not being able to web more than 1 person at a time without resorting to throwing the net multiple times per action (rapid shot)

And that's where my problem lies, the OP doesn't want to play Spidey, he wants to play a Net Hunter that behaves is a manner slightly similar to Spidey because that's what his personal conception of the character is. As previously mentioned, that's not really something you need to go to CharOp for except maybe for us to say "make sure you qualify for Superior Will, and you probably want to use a Lightning Weapon because elemental Op is necessary"

Also, not refluffing much is less difficult, it's the lazy path; you're literally playing a character that the game dev's already concieved of existing, it's not your own character, it's theirs. This is the primary reason why people have such an issue with playing a Ranged Ranger (properly), "I quarry him, and then I shoot him twice with Two Fanged Strike, Action Point, and I shoot him twice more with Twin Strike" is kinda boring. Adding in the fluff text doesn't make it better "I tell the Orc Shaman that he's next, and sink two arrows into his flesh, then digging into my heroic resolve, fire two more shots in the hopes of finishing him off." Yeah, that also sucks, in part because you're getting too verbose in a game where spending 5 minutes on your turn is "going slow".

My Seeker|Ranger is being corrupted by the spellplague and is turning into a Beholder. I shoot Eye Beams at people. Eat Death Gaze, Thayan scum!

I really can't honestly see how playing a character utilizing magic (arcane source of power) is less refluffing than playing a character based on prowess and natural abilities (martial and primal source of power). Spidey doesn't carry around a net, but he does don paraphernalia that helps him control it. Again, at least it's not magic - which is definitely not what Spidey is. And as a Hunter, he is using Dexterity and Strength, not Intelligence. Peter may be the son of a genius (in many incarnations), but still, the guy relies mainly on his agility and raw power for the most part.

In all honesty, I don't you can say that refluffing makes it 'your own character' whilst trying to utilize what's there as much as possible without refluffing isn't. Even if he refluffs a wizard, it's still a wizard and that's still 'their character', not 'yours' because it's still something a game dev concieved. The game dev created all the powers, effects, features, whatever else. You're just changing its fluff, but the mechanics is still the same. So you're still playing a character someone else developed.

But hey, if you are fine with refluffing your characters, that's up to you. Do what you like.

Just, there's no reason why the answer to the OP's question is 'YOU HAVE TO PLAY A DIFFERENT CLASS/RACE/BLAH AND REFLUFF' when the OP doesn't want to refluff. If you can't help, then you can't help. In that case the OP may seek alternatives. But well, obviously there are choices to help the OP the way he prefers, so there we go.

P.S. I don't see how it's lazy to try and find powers/feats/etc. that helps. It involves lots of reading, lots of research. Refluffing involves creativity. Well I guess for some it's hard to be creative and imagine new things, but I personally have no issues, and so I find I'd rather go the hard way (for me). Plus, I use my creativity for something else. Such as making backstories and personalities and stuff for my characters.
The point of the whole CharOP/refluffing thing is, that the OP wanted to create a super hero, while in reality he did create the local yokel in fancy clothes and therefore we have to ask: Why?
Neither isa really any more or less relfuffing than the other because this is D&D not Marvel superheroes RPG (which is a thing that exists, just BTW) - regardless of your exact class and race combo, you're still refluffing a swords-and-sorcery fantasy character as a superheroic scifi character.  Once you get to that point, what real difference does it make what the swords-and-sorcery character was, you're not that guy any more regardless.
@ Azedenkae...You're absulutely right.

@ Pinkisthenewred...You, not so much.

I played in a 6th level 4e remake of the Monte Cook adventure Banewarrens as a human hunter armed with a net and a hand crossbow. And I kicked ass.

It was still a DnD game not a re-fluff. The DM decided that we should all make a character that had a super-hero twist to it. We had the Punchmaster a monk; Mastermind a psion|lazylord; Hawk Guy an archer ranger; and the Unbeleivable Bulk a barbarian. The villains all have cool names and the game is being run with super-hero tropes in mind. We have an HQ, we have secret identies, costumes, an arch-nemesis. All of this is just for flavor, story, fiction or RP (whatever you want to call it). I just wanted to play similar to Spider-Man, not actually be Spidey. I know this is Char Op but creativity is allowed. 

...so he certainly isn't a "local yokel in fancy clothes".
wraithgnome: i have nothing to say about your build, so I won't.

However:
1) please do not think your build is considered good / the best / kicking ass by charop standards. If you think this PC is absolutely what you want to play, and exactly as powerful as you would like it to be, I wish you loads of fun.
2) " I know this is Char Op but creativity is allowed. " This line irks. Seems to me there is a lack in creativity taking a hunter who uses a net as a weapon for what your apparent concept was at the start. Maybe there is a communication issue there getting concepts accross, but it seems to me refluffing an arcane caster would have required more creativity.

Far be it from me to come between you and your chosen build. What I want to say is that heavy mechanical optimisation and creative roleplaying certainly are not at odds with each other. 

I really can't honestly see how playing a character utilizing magic (arcane source of power) is less refluffing than playing a character based on prowess and natural abilities (martial and primal source of power).

Physical Prowess =/= Martial Source, Physical Prowess = Str/Con/Dex skill checks, don't compare apples and oranges.

Spidey doesn't carry around a net, but he does don paraphernalia that helps him control it. Again, at least it's not magic - which is definitely not what Spidey is. And as a Hunter, he is using Dexterity and Strength, not Intelligence. Peter may be the son of a genius (in many incarnations), but still, the guy relies mainly on his agility and raw power for the most part.

The webs that Spiderman shoots are the result of an epoxy compound propelled by an aerosol canister, the components of this contraption are entirely put together by Peter himself. He was able to do this in part because of the knowledge the spider bite gave him, but mostly because he is a genius. If you need help understanding the Character of Spiderman, standard wikipedia and the marvel wikipedia might help, don't just go off of the Holywood depiction.

Ignoring the refluffing argument, I find it more than a little absurd that you think advanced Chemistry and Engineering attack powers, and supernatural physical powers gained from radioactivity is better described by "dude that's really good with a net" than "wizard spells that can perfectly replicate the effects"
In all honesty, I don't you can say that refluffing makes it 'your own character' whilst trying to utilize what's there as much as possible without refluffing isn't. Even if he refluffs a wizard, it's still a wizard and that's still 'their character', not 'yours' because it's still something a game dev concieved. The game dev created all the powers, effects, features, whatever else. You're just changing its fluff, but the mechanics is still the same. So you're still playing a character someone else developed.

But hey, if you are fine with refluffing your characters, that's up to you. Do what you like.

Just, there's no reason why the answer to the OP's question is 'YOU HAVE TO PLAY A DIFFERENT CLASS/RACE/BLAH AND REFLUFF' when the OP doesn't want to refluff. If you can't help, then you can't help. In that case the OP may seek alternatives. But well, obviously there are choices to help the OP the way he prefers, so there we go.

P.S. I don't see how it's lazy to try and find powers/feats/etc. that helps. It involves lots of reading, lots of research. Refluffing involves creativity. Well I guess for some it's hard to be creative and imagine new things, but I personally have no issues, and so I find I'd rather go the hard way (for me). Plus, I use my creativity for something else. Such as making backstories and personalities and stuff for my characters.

Game designers design mechanics and suggest character concepts, not the other way around. Maybe you just don't know what refluffing means, it means describing the way your powers work in a different way. My mutated beholder/archer is a slightly different character from the shamanistic 'beholder as a totem creature' described by jim auwaerter and gaelen mullins in their Aberrant Souls article where I got the PP from, and is much different from the 'legolas' archer envisioned by the guy who wrote the Ranger. Or maybe you just don't understand the separation of mechanics and fluff? Twin Strike being 2 shots quickly fired from a Bow is different from it being 1 highly accurate shot fired from a Bow is different from it being gun shots is different from it being thrown daggers a la Archer from Fate Stay Night, etc. but mechanically all are the same "2 pieces of ammo being fired from a +2/1d12 weapon".

Playing a bad character because of your inability to describe a better character in your own way is lazy.
@ Baldhermit...I didn't say my character was considered kicking ass by Char Op standards, I said he kicked ass in the game I played (and that's all I really care about). And it might have required more creativity to re-fluff say, a paladin, as Spider-Man...but that's not what I wanted to do. I did what I wanted to do...and it worked fine. 

@Zathris...A bad character is only in the eye of the beholder. I think the character works great so does the DM and the rest of the party. And btw, I made a wizard and tied to re-fluff him as Spidey...I didn't like it. 

I appreciate all your responses, I agree with some of you, I disagree with most of you. And btw, none of you have actually posted a build that would meet the requirements I posted to be Spider-Man. Show me that great wizard build.

Oh and the next class I want to try...the Binder! Any advice?
Don't.  They are worse in basically every possible way to a normal Warlock.
Don't.  They are worse in basically every possible way to a normal Warlock.

Don't feed the troll.
Ok...I admit it...I'm not really gonna play a Binder. I wanted to but I just didn't like what I saw. So in this case I do agree with the Char Op consensus that it is worse than the warlock.

I wasn't trolling...just joking. 
Binder's really the only way to go if you want to make a Batman character IMHO.
Yeah...but what alignment would he be?

Lawful Neutral: Batman doesn't care about whether or not your character is any good but if you continue to troll and spam in this thread he will report you.
I'm Commander Shepard and this my least favorite shop thread on the citadel.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Hey Commisioner Gordon...I started this thread. And I wasn't the one that brought up Batman...I made a joking response to a troll bait post. Besides it's not trolling because everyone knows Batman's alignment is Neutral Good.

...that was another joke...thank you, I'll be here all week folks...

Seriously though, let the thread dien in peace.
Hey Commisioner Gordon...I started this thread. And I wasn't the one that brought up Batman...I made a joking response to a troll bait post. Besides it's not trolling because everyone knows Batman's alignment is Neutral Good.

...that was another joke...thank you, I'll be here all week folks...

Seriously though, let the thread dien in peace.

The thread has been dining for 6 days (I assume you typo'd 'dine' there) so I think it's safe to post again.  :P

On-topic: I made a Human Bola-training "Hunter"|Seeker.  She has Twin-Strike (to satisfy CharOps strange necessity to always have that on a Ranger, even if that Ranger doesn't plan on doing a ton of damage), Rapid Shot, and Biting Swarm.  At her next level-up, I'll be retraining Twin Strike for Warning Shot, though.

Anyway, being able to immobilize a few bad-guys is quite fun.  Warning Shot will be nice because I'll be able to IR to someone entering a square and (hopefully) immobilize them there.)   
Twin Strike is nice because it's versatile, as much any anything.  being able to hit two guys both on opposite sides of the map, AND if you need to to lay down the big guns all on one target is really useful.
Sign In to post comments