deck builders toolkit (M14)

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
can anybody confirm exactly what is in the 2014 deckbuilder's toolkit?

I know there is usually 4 boosters, 100 (?) lands, and then some pre-determined stacks of cards. Does anybody know exactly what they are (and which boosters?)
can anybody confirm exactly what is in the 2014 deckbuilder's toolkit?

I know there is usually 4 boosters, 100 (?) lands, and then some pre-determined stacks of cards. Does anybody know exactly what they are (and which boosters?)

I think the boosters are random.
www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...

Last Toolkit's boosters were 1 M13, 1 Innistrad, 1 Dark Ascension, and 1 Avacyn Restored.  I'd be greatly surprised if M14s was anything but one M14, one Return to Ravnica, one Gatecrash, and one Dragon's Maze.

also, if anybody knows the specific contents of the two-player battle pack.

There's no set list for the battle packs, they're randomized. Each player gets a bunch of commons/basic lands and a booster pack.

There's no set list for the battle packs, they're randomized. Each player gets a bunch of commons/basic lands and a booster pack.

each portion is 2 colors with 5 lands for each - is it really random?

each portion is 2 colors with 5 lands for each - is it really random?

"semi-random."   
Just opened and written my box up.

The boosters are M13 (yes - 13), RTR, GTC and M14.  I pulled M14 Garruck so was happy enough.

Rest of the cards and details here on my site - happy to add other deck shards as people find them. While other people in my store opened theirs and confirmed the same boosters they didn't show me the shards they had in enough detail to add.

Some of the choices this year seem to be designed to minimise the exposure of players to gold cards, and unnecesary keywords (especially the guild ones) but the box is still amazing value at £18 (4 boosters is just over £12 here) and is perfect as a gift for an MTG fan that doesn't have many cards or decks.

The boosters are M13 (yes - 13), RTR, GTC and M14.  I pulled M14 Garruck so was happy enough.

Rest of the cards and details here on my site - happy to add other deck shards as people find them. While other people in my store opened theirs and confirmed the same boosters they didn't show me the shards they had in enough detail to add.

Some of the choices this year seem to be designed to minimise the exposure of players to gold cards, and unnecesary keywords (especially the guild ones) but the box is still amazing value at £18 (4 boosters is just over £12 here) and is perfect as a gift for an MTG fan that doesn't have many cards or decks.

thanks for the review - this info is very helpful!

thanks for the review - this info is very helpful!

I'm continually amazed that WOTC don't publish this themselves, but I guess it's really only useful to non-new players looking to see whether the box represents good value.  When I bought my first ones I didn't know about rarities, had no idea what more than half of the cards were and certainly didn't understand whether it was worth it or not!
As I use these boxes for storage, I'm curious - what art is on the box?
It's the top half of the Ignite your spark Chandra art on a dark blue background.  It's pretty cool - possibly not as epic as the Bolas art.

I do love these boxes for storage, but the Holiday Boxes have taken over that duty now. 
I liked the Bolas one, but didn't like that it was so... yellow. If it had been in keeping with M13's black scheme, I would have bought five kits.

I missed out on the Holiday Box, but I've got a plain card box that does the same trick, minus the awesome dividers and stickers. Nonetheless my horde can't be contained by one Holiday Box alone... 
I bought 5 Holiday boxes - three for gifts.  They pretty much hold a whole block minus rares.
M14 toolkit does not have a Dragon's Maze pack, it has one of each of RTR, GTC, M13 (why?) and M14. At least that is what was in the first one I opened. I have a second one yet to open. The two M13 toolkits I have opened each had contents as listed above (1 each of ISD, AVR, DKA and M13). The extra cards in the toolkits are not random, at least based on my small sample. For M13 they include a small tribal selection of zombies and vampires from ISD block and various core set staples. The selections outside of the booster packs in the two M13 toolkits were identical.

The selection in the M13, RTR and GTC battle packs are also not random, although they do come in many two-color flavors. The packs in these are the only semi-random part of the product. For example, if you pull an Azorious/Selesnya RTR battle pack, the Azorious/Selesnya cards are identical to any other Azorious/Selesnya battle pack you may open.

Please check out my Blog:

Magic the Gathering Adventures Blog

http://mtgadventures.blogspot.com/

Please check out my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rubiera22/featured

M14 toolkit does not have a Dragon's Maze pack, it has one of each of RTR, GTC, M13 (why?) and M14. At least that is what was in the first one I opened. I have a second one yet to open.

That is what everyone has reported so far.  I'm surprised they packed it that way too (this will still be on shelves when M13 has rotated out of standard - the old format was all stuff that would see Standard through over one year from toolkit release), but it's no aberration, it's the norm.

The extra cards in the toolkits are not random, at least based on my small sample. For M13 they include a small tribal selection of zombies and vampires from ISD block and various core set staples. The selections outside of the booster packs in the two M13 toolkits were identical.

First, to avoid confusion, they never issued a product called the 2013 Toolkit.  The toolkit they released in summer 2012 that includes M13 product was marketed as the 2012 toolkit.  This year they've skipped the naming ahead to have the year on the toolkit match the year in the core set name rather than the year of release, so 2014.

Your discoveries regarding its contents *is* an aberration.   Even outside the booster packs, the M12 kits had 85 fixed cards, and then another four groups of 10 cards that are 'randomly selected' from 11 possible strategy packs.  The packet of cards that had 10 cards - Evolving Wilds - 10 cards - Evolving Wilds - etc... that packet should usually vary in composition from box to box, and if it didn't (if you got the same 4 strategy 10-packs) it is an unlucky aberration.

I'm a little confused here, I've seen two different deck builder unboxing videos, one had a DGM booster and the other had a M13 instead.

Video of the one with DGM: www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fqLIBLH5rw 
I'm a little confused here, I've seen two different deck builder unboxing videos, one had a DGM booster and the other had a M13 instead.

Video of the one with DGM: www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fqLIBLH5rw 

The English version appears to have M13, while the German has DGM. It's possibly an error from Wizards' part, but I don't know. They haven't said anything about it yet.
The English version appears to have M13, while the German has DGM. It's possibly an error from Wizards' part, but I don't know. They haven't said anything about it yet.

Yeah I thought as much, kinda hesitant in trying my luck with an Australian one, I don't know if it'd be the same as every other English version or not. 

M14 toolkit does not have a Dragon's Maze pack, it has one of each of RTR, GTC, M13 (why?) and M14. At least that is what was in the first one I opened. I have a second one yet to open.

That is what everyone has reported so far.  I'm surprised they packed it that way too (this will still be on shelves when M13 has rotated out of standard - the old format was all stuff that would see Standard through over one year from toolkit release), but it's no aberration, it's the norm.

The extra cards in the toolkits are not random, at least based on my small sample. For M13 they include a small tribal selection of zombies and vampires from ISD block and various core set staples. The selections outside of the booster packs in the two M13 toolkits were identical.

First, to avoid confusion, they never issued a product called the 2013 Toolkit.  The toolkit they released in summer 2012 that includes M13 product was marketed as the 2012 toolkit.  This year they've skipped the naming ahead to have the year on the toolkit match the year in the core set name rather than the year of release, so 2014.

Your discoveries regarding its contents *is* an aberration.   Even outside the booster packs, the M12 kits had 85 fixed cards, and then another four groups of 10 cards that are 'randomly selected' from 11 possible strategy packs.  The packet of cards that had 10 cards - Evolving Wilds - 10 cards - Evolving Wilds - etc... that packet should usually vary in composition from box to box, and if it didn't (if you got the same 4 strategy 10-packs) it is an unlucky aberration.

Thanks for the explanation. I will check the two M14 toolkits I have to spot any differences in the strategy packs. It likely was a fluke that I got two exactly equal M13 kits (and by that I mean last summer's kit).

Two toolkits opened, both had M13 packs. Of the precon commons and uncommons, only the pack that has a Transguild on top is different, and only in one of the four selections. It looks like each of the four Transguilds caps a selection. One had Azorious, and the other had Slivers. The other three selections capped by Transguilds were the same in both: dimir milling, red black without Rakdos cards, and gruul.

Here is a difference video,

youtu.be/K6pHIV7uUwk

Here is one of the toolkits in toto

youtu.be/bpJm-svmA5k

I'm beginning to think you're just tremendously unlucky.

This year's toolkit is, apparently, the same as last year's in that there are eleven possible ten-card strategy packs and each box has a 'random' four.  That you got 4-for-4 dupes last year and 3-of-4 dupes this year is unfortunate.  If you believe in the gambler's fallacy, buy lotto tickets now.  You're due for a win.
I'm beginning to think you're just tremendously unlucky.

This year's toolkit is, apparently, the same as last year's in that there are eleven possible ten-card strategy packs and each box has a 'random' four.  That you got 4-for-4 dupes last year and 3-of-4 dupes this year is unfortunate.  If you believe in the gambler's fallacy, buy lotto tickets now.  You're due for a win.

No worries, I made good pulls off the packs. Its just a hobby.

having seen all unboxing videos on youtube, i think there are like six or so, i begin to suspect a few things with the English version of the toolkit: i may have some names of the sets wrong, but anyways:

the eleven "semirandomized" sets that give you suggestions about what type of deck to build aren't all that random. Rather whatever the first set is, after the first transguild promenade, the three other sets will follow in the order given in the poster that comes in the toolkit where all the eleven different sets are presented.

for example: If the first set in a particular toolkit is "counterburn", then the next set in that toolkit will be "slivers", followed by "sacrifice" and ending with "deckdepletion", just as shown in the poster. if the first set in the toolkit is, say, "sacrifice", then the other three sets will be the ones mentioned after it: "deckdepletion", "green/red beasts" and "skies". if the first set is, say, "ramp", the next one will be "black control", and then it continues at the top again with "lifegain" followed by "counterburn".

also note, that the German version of the toolkit is quite different, and doesnt follow this mapping at all. but so far, all english unboxings have been like this, except one where the four sets were indeed listed after each other in the poster, but in the actual toolkit they were not in order.

this might be a good thing, or a bad thing depending on how you see it: for example, no toolkit includes both "slivers" and "ramp". it also means you can never get both green/white sets in the same toolkit, "lifegain" and "tokens" as these are more than four sets apart.