Sarkhon Vol, Dragonlord (or some kind of hot? dragonesque title)

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sarkhon Vol is essentially the plainswalker of dragons and as such should have some more abilities that would either combo well with them or all him to be more like them. For anyone who has read the story in some way, Sarkhon was given the ability to transform into a literal dragon and so I propose he attain an ability similar in many ways to the newest of Gideon Jura. I also would like to request either an emblem from Sarkhon that would give all creatures the player controls a dragon subtype, or for there to be a way for this to happen without the use of xenograph and other blue spells that are required to do this. A cool idea would also be a half dragon subtype as well. I mean there's a million goblins, vampires, humans, knights, angles, mist I go on? That are part one or the other so why not dragons
Hope this fits...

Artistic Disclaimer

Please note that none of this art is created by me. It is taken from the internet just to add an image to the cards.
The art is still owned by the artist.If you are the artist of the art, please contact me if you would like it removed.

The Artist Line is only used to show it is a card I have rendered.

Double strike is probably pushing it a bit. Making him indestructible like Gideon during the animation probably wouldn't be too bad, though, and would make attacking with him feel like less of a risk, especially to newer players.

Also, the last ability could be worded so that it also overwrites cards in your hand and graveyard - maybe even the library to make it work with his +1; that would also open up lots of design space for dragon tribal effects by letting the card interact with effects like Kaalia of the Vast.

---

Personally, I would like to see some abilities that would help players stuff their decks with dragons, without being unable to play anything for the first seven turns.

Maybe about something like:

Sarkhan, Dragoncaller
Planeswalker - Sarkhan
+1: Search you library for a Dragon card, shuffle your library and put that card on top of it.
- 3: Put a Dragon card from your hand onto the battlefield. It gains haste. Return it to your hand at end of turn.
- 7: You get an emblem with "Dragon cards cost you own less to cast."

[Edit] Possibly a bit broken with Broodmate Dragon and its like - maybe the dragons should be sacced at end of turn, actually. Just to balance it a *little* bit. I doubt that it would truly break Hoarding Dragon.
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
First off that card is beautiful, second I was thinking some of the things like Gideon minus the doub strike probably but I want him to primarily tobecome a literal dragon

How about this?

Artistic Disclaimer

Please note that none of this art is created by me. It is taken from the internet just to add an image to the cards.
The art is still owned by the artist.If you are the artist of the art, please contact me if you would like it removed.

The Artist Line is only used to show it is a card I have rendered.

To be honest I'm thinking the whole end of turn deal with the prevent all combat damage just with flying and trample in place of the other stuff it wont do if he is permanently a creature. The -1 isn't particularly useful however I was thinking +1, then transform ability, then a nice emblem that functions either as an enhanced dragonspeaker shaman or red xenograph that gives flying and firebreathing and dragon subtype so as combo well with Scourge of Valkas, Crucible of Fire, Coat of Arms, and more
To be honest I'm thinking the whole end of turn deal with the prevent all combat damage just with flying and trample in place of the other stuff it wont do if he is permanently a creature. The -1 isn't particularly useful however I was thinking +1, then transform ability, then a nice emblem that functions either as an enhanced dragonspeaker shaman or red xenograph that gives flying and firebreathing and dragon subtype so as combo well with Scourge of Valkas, Crucible of Fire, Coat of Arms, and more

Also I believe he could be a tri colored plainswalker for less colorless mana, I mean he idealizes jund in everything possible
Seems underpowered. You don't really need cards to make your dragons better once you can play them naturally, and if you've drawn all dragons for three turns straight (not that you'd usually want to), then you'd definitely be better off with something else than the - abilities.

Sarkhan the Mad was cool because he both put dragons into play and rewarded you for playing dragons in your deck. In the end, though, he wasn't that great; he was bad on his own, the second ability was good, but not good enough, the first one was unreliable and the third one was rarely a game-winner. He saw some fringe play in Jund as a 2-of because they already wanted to play Broodmate Dragons and Sprouting Thrinax, but nothing else.

Still, Sarkhan the Mad is a lot better in all aspects than the new version of Dragonlord. And if you want to encourage players to playing dragons in their decks, you want it to interact better with the creature type, and preferably help you use your huge beasts within a reasonable timeframe. Haste is... underwhelming, especially at 5 mana and with a +1 ability that prevents you from drawing additional lands if you want to boost your walker.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm being overly harsh... =/
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
Seems underpowered. You don't really need cards to make your dragons better once you can play them naturally, and if you've drawn all dragons for three turns straight (not that you'd usually want to), then you'd definitely be better off with something else than the - abilities.

Sarkhan the Mad was cool because he both put dragons into play and rewarded you for playing dragons in your deck. In the end, though, he wasn't that great; he was bad on his own, the second ability was good, but not good enough, the first one was unreliable and the third one was rarely a game-winner. He saw some fringe play in Jund as a 2-of because they already wanted to play Broodmate Dragons and Sprouting Thrinax, but nothing else.

Still, Sarkhan the Mad is a lot better in all aspects than the new version of Dragonlord. And if you want to encourage players to playing dragons in their decks, you want it to interact better with the creature type, and preferably help you use your huge beasts within a reasonable timeframe. Haste is... underwhelming, especially at 5 mana and with a +1 ability that prevents you from drawing additional lands if you want to boost your walker.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm being overly harsh... =/

Trust me I completely know where you're coming from but with jund, if you know how to do it right has plenty of ways to get big ass dragons out lickity split. I primarily ramp my ass off while also running say heartless summoning, dragonspeaker shaman, quicksilver amulet, dragonstorm and more. I'm trying to get more use outta him for Edh where you have a little more leeway as far as time is considered also I'd like to have all creatures with a dragon subtype in conjunction with say Karrthus
Well, I was talking about competitive constructed, but even for your Jund deck, there would be plenty of better options than a 5-mana Fires of Yavimaya.

[Edit]: Even Sarkhan Vol's + ability is significantly better than the -1 haste ability.
If we want dragons out faster, first of all he should be cheap so he can come out early. Lets make a younger Sakhan at a 2 drop and see if we can make him better than Tibalt.

Sarkhan, Dragon Follower
Planeswalker - Sarkhan
+1: Add to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast Dragon spells, or activate abilities of Dragon permanents.
-2: Search your library for a Dragon card, reveal it, shuffle your library, and put that card on top.
-6: you get an Emblem with "Creature cards you own that aren't on the battlefield, creature spells you control, and creatures you control are Dragons in addition to their other types" and "Creatures you control get +2/+2 and have flying and ": This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn." "

Level 1 Judge

Well the primary reason for me wanting to print this new version of Sarkhon is because I want to base him off the story of after he is able to take the form of a dragon when he fought both Chandra and Jace. Now, if he had an emblem allowong for a cost drop for dragons or for every creature you control to gain avdragon subtype, all the better trying to think of an adequate + ability is thebtroible right npw
Sign In to post comments