Some questions

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok trying to get a dark sun game written up and I am not sure of a few tthings

magic weapons/ implements  are they in dark sun ?  
Can a fighter for example find a vicious long sword( made of bone of course)
when I selected in the DDI. Dark sun setting and made a character, at the very end I selected equip player...it gave the player a long sword and not some exotic dark sun weapon? To start with, again I can have it called a long sword just have it made of bone or other material!
the exotic weapons of DS can they be magical and offer the bonus enhancements?

thanks 
its ultimately up to you and your party, but if you're trying to stick to canon, then, yes, dark sun weapons are QUITE different. implements and magic weapons/armor do exist in DS, however they are quite rare. i would recommend halving the given loot tables in the DMG for DS campaigns, and instead of giving more loot, allow players to upgrade existing loot to higher lvl versions as a reward from quest givers etc... if the party is a gang of preservers, push the idea that these items were made at the expense of a LOT of defiled life forms when it was created, enhance that party tension and all. if it bothers the characters, allow for more items to come from a primal power source instead of arcane, something like the heartwood spear from the prism pendant novels.

as far as mundane items go, there are charts in the dark sun campaign setting for those items unique to athas, and yes, bone and stone weapons exist in it. they have drawbacks, such as shattering on a crit fail, adding more stress to the party. to me, dark sun is really about stressing the characters, and should be present in every aspect of the game, including the items.
Ok but why does DDI not equip characters with dark sun specific weapons and survival kits ?
dunno. thats kinda crap. not a member so i cant say for sure. just get the campaign guide.
The DDI builder will give you standard equipment for your level/class, but does not recognise the Dark Sun specific limits. This is partially because Dark Sun just means getting stuff slower, rathr than not at all.

General universe: Everyone except 1 person gets a magic item per level
Dark Sun unvirse: Everyone except 3 people get a magic item per level

So technically you might be the lucky one who gets the magic items, or maybe your DM gives out lots of items.

magic weapons/ implements  are they in dark sun ? Can a fighter for example find a vicious long sword( made of bone of course)

Yup! Ultimately up to your DM which ones (eg: ones that give free food, or cups of infinite ale probably don't exist

when I selected in the DDI. Dark sun setting and made a character, at the very end I selected equip player...it gave the player a long sword and not some exotic dark sun weapon? To start with, again I can have it called a long sword just have it made of bone or other material!

It's just a longsword ... so it could be a wooden longsword, metal longsword, obsidian longsword or bone longsword. It's undefined, so you can decide! Also, just because the builder gave you a default weapon doesn't mean you have to keep it. You can sell it for a trikal, or dragonpaw, or whatever else too.

the exotic weapons of DS can they be magical and offer the bonus enhancements?

By default Dark Sun gives you +s to your weapons and armour based on your character level, so even if you have a longsword +0 but are a level 3 character, you secretly have a +1 longsword for free! The DM can then give you a Viscious Longsword +1, which would be just as accurate, but would also have the "viscious" power bit.
Ok but why does DDI not equip characters with dark sun specific weapons and survival kits ?

As others pointed out, the Character Builder just doesn't make that distinction. And, technically, the setting in 4E seems to have those options. If you look at various monsters in adventures or in the Creature Catalog, often they will use non-Dark Sun weapons. 

It really ends up being up to you. For a stronger setting feel, encourage players to use Dark Sun weapons and use them on the vast majority of the weapons in your game. For our organized play campaign we usually edited monsters' weapons from the original to a Dark Sun weapon. But, we did allow players to wield whatever they wanted and to fix broken weapons.

For magic, it is also up to you. For Ashes of Athas we granted relatively little magic, but we didn't use a specific formula. We went by feel. And, we usually made it so that the magic was either one-shot or didn't end up on another slot. Instead, it would often be applicable to a weapon. For example, training that provides a trick equivalent to a magic item power, or a crystal shard you can stick on an implement to give it that benefit. This means that players don't have a ton of magic and the setting ends up being more about them than items. In my home campaign I treated magic items a bit more like artifacts - they were things of wonder, with stories and mysteries about them and secrets yet to be unlocked. 

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).