M14 Sealed

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys

my LGS is doing an M14 sealed and is letting us pick packs.

all we are required to have is 3 m14 - because of that i think it's best to go straight m14. 

INNISTRAD BLOCK IS NOT AN OPTION

all of return to ravnica block IS an option

so i could get 3 m14 - 3 gtc or 3 rtr or 3 dgm (but i wouldn't do that last one for sure)

however i am considering 3 m14 / 3 rtr

what do you think about that? too risky? 
Can't the remainder be split any way you want? 

Still, some things:  I wouldn't suggest going straight up M14.  You will be outpaced and outgunned by people running Splatter Thugs and Gore-House Chainwalkers, or on the otherside by Bomber Corps and Warmind Infantry and the like in GTC.  Generally the spells are a tad weaker all-around in M14 as well.  Shock is a fine and dandy burn spell, but the extra damage from Annihilating Fire takes care of a *huge* amount of creatures in all sets, including M14.  Further, nothing, but nothing, will beat the versatility allowed by the charms, particularly the RtR charms. 

GTC gives you an amazing amount of solid combat tricks, or growing strength with evolve (Much of which will out-class the relatively small bodies on the M14 creatures pretty quickly).  The one thing M14 has in droves is very strong evasion in blue and black, something to keep in mind with the possible cipher spells in GTC.  

*That said*, I'd go RtR, as there are a few more quality creatures that don't require a strong game plan dedication to function.  Boros requires a good deal of fast and aggresive R/W creatures, as well as a near critical mass of Battallion effects to go off.  Dimir requires also a good amount of evasion coupled with the right ciphers.  Orzhov is just plain stupid good, but is best with multiple Extort triggers as well(Although even a couple extorters is enough to change the game completely).  Simic is really hard to pull off if you aren't dedicating a great deal of it to evolve, and faulters with the fewer evolvers you have.  Gruul actually fairs much better, however, as many of the creatures are fine in limited to begin with.  They just faulter a bit from the lack of direct removal in the colors.

On the flip-side of the coin, RtR has some good things going for it:  Overload just works well(Depending on the specific card) no matter how you build your deck.  Mizzium Skin is an underrated trick that can lead to sticky situation for the opponent. Teleportal is great as a finisher.  Electrickery will take out a metric ton of creatures in M14 and just cause combat headaches for the opponent.  Dynacharge is a decent finisher/combat trick to pull off.

Unleash is best in aggro decks, but functions fine in less aggro-y decks as well.  Splatter Thug, Dead Reveler, Chainwalker, etc are very solid inclusion, and M14 B/R could be blisteringly fast with the inclusion of them.  Scavenge also works quite well even if you only have a single one in your deck. 

Scavenge provides just plain efficiency.  Drudge Beetle is fine in limited, and can provide decent uses late-game, as can Korozda Monitor.  Black is decent in M14, so Sewer Shambler will go that extra mill most of the time.  Sluiceway Scorpion is also amazing all-around. 

Detain is decent enough as a tempo-ability, and can wreck the opponent by taking out there blockers for the blue flyers in M14.  Most of the detainers are white, though, and although there are solid creatures in white it is also generally weak.  Still, the possibility of having Warden of Evos Isle with Azorius flyers sounds good in limited.  With Frost Breath, Time Ebb, and Claustraphobia in M14, as well as detainers, Paralyzing Grasp, and Arrest in RtR white you are looking at something that could be a very mean tempo control decks.

Populate is a little underwhelming in this type of format, but G/W still has efficient creatures to offer without the ability.  Consider, however, if you get lucky enough to get some slivers, Hive Stirrings, and populate running.  A bit of a dream, I know, but it would be a wonder to behold.  Still, G/W has good creatures all around so even without populate (Which most of the spells that create creature tokens populate anyway, so it's not biggy-Even weak Selesnya was potent in the environment).

Now consider the possibilities with the extra color fixing as well.  You may not get any, but it's more likely in the set than M14 to get some of it. 

So, I'd go M14/RtR.   You gain a good chance of getting a lot of very strong cards, and most of the guilds work without dedication to the card types.
I was going to post something but the last line of I-rock's post sums up what I want to say anyway, so, yeh, listen to him.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

awesome. pretty much what i was thinking.

do you guys know of any resources for practicing a sealed pool?

if not, do you know of one i could practice a RTR draft so i can screenshot each pack adn then get an idea of what to build around? i have until friday.

basically just want to get as much practice in as possible. 
Find a site that gives random sealed pools. 

Then record the pool on this site (auotcard) than make your pool and others can tell you what they would have made.

You can learn this way.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge

Go with 3 x RTR and maybe you will get to pwn people with Pack: the Rattening
TappedOut.net has a sealed deck generator. Here's a Sealed Pool:

where? all i seal is the draft simulator.
TappedOut.net has a sealed deck generator. Here's a Sealed Pool:

where? all i seal is the draft simulator.

The Deck Builder tab on the top left. Then click 'Create Sealed Deck' and you're gtg.

Ah!

You're amazing! thanks!

Creatures

Frostburn Weird
Rakdos Shred Freak
Young Pyromancer
Traitorous Instinct
Nivix Guildmage
Goblin Electromancer
Batterhorn
Ash Zealot
Dead Reveler
Drainpipe Vermin
Grim Roustabout
Tower Drake
Clone
Colossal Whale
Air Servant
Seacoast Drake
Nephalia Seakite

Instants/Sorceries
Traitorous Instinct
Inspiration
Essence Scatter
Disperse
Blustersquall

Removal
Claustrophobia
Paralyzing grasp

Izzet Guildgate
Rakdos Guildgate
Rakdos Keyrune

Here's what i built... 

anyone care to share thoughts on what i built?
I would get rid of black. Do something like:

Creatures

Seacoast Drake x2
Frostburn Weird
Young Pyromancer
Nivix Guildmage
Goblin Electromancer
Ash Zealot
Tower Drake
Nephalia Seakite
Soulsworn Spirit
Clone
Batterhorn
Air Servant
Messenger Drake
Colossal Whale

Inspiration
Essence Scatter
Disperse
Claustrophobia
Blustersquall
Paralyzing grasp x2
Pursuit of Flight 

Izzet Guildgate
Island x8
Mountain x8

Something like that. Alternatively, you could go for blue-white auras, since ethereal armor is awsome and you have tons of ecasion and removal enchantments. It's kinda hard to figure out since the formatting of your card pool is screwy--maybe in the future you could paste it into notepad to nix the formatting before pasting it here.