D&D News: KRE-O announces Dungeons & Dragons construction sets

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
D&D News
KRE-O announces Dungeons & Dragons construction sets

By D&D Team

Ahead of Comic-Con, Hasbro has announced a Dungeons & Dragons-branded expansion of its KRE-O line of construction sets. The D&D sets will be available in January 2014, when they will join brands such as Transformers, G.I. Joe and Star Trek on the shelf.

Talk about this news here.

image001 
I am not surprised at all, I didn´t know it, but I supossed Hasbro would do it sooner or later. Maybe you could find a previous message in this forum where I mentioned the idea of a D&D Kre-O.

Please, the arms and shoulders of Kre-o minifigures are horrible. Please, Megablocks is a lesser company, and that LEGO clone has got cooler minifigures. I am going to be polite, but you ought to see the minifigures of Megablocks lines (Halo, smurfs, warcraft, power rangers, Barbie, Skylanders, Hello Kitty). Have you see the minifigures of LEGO friends?

And I don´t like too small figures. For my childhood I played with playmobil, or TENTE, a Spanish building block toy. Never there was LEGO toy at my home. 

If I am a fan of D&D, I will not buy the big and expensive box but lots of miniboxes for colecction. Maybe the Kre-o D&D collectables cards & miniatures boardgame, a mixture of Hero Quest and LEGO Heroica, with simple rules for +7 children. 

I suggest a remake of Kre-o figures, with near 3 inches high size, and dungeons where walls aren´t build with toy bricks but cardboard. And some day in the future, software to mixture miniature games and augmented reality (flying creatures, hidden traps, stats of armies...).

* Do you imagine a Kre-o Dragonlance? With a 3D animated cartoon to be a soft parody of fantasy stereotypes.

Spelljamers, don´t forget the spelljammers to create D&D Kre-o vehicles. 

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

Interesting. This could become an incredible idea if they cross-sell to gamers by making the playset scenery look like something you might use during D&D games. And why wouldn't they?... many Megabloks and Kreo sets are already like that, and the scenery scale is the same.

And who wouldn't buy say, a Tomb of Horrors playset if they thought it might be useful when running the adventure?

Spelljamers, don´t forget the spelljammers to create D&D Kre-o vehicles. 

Ok, some of your post seemed odd to me, but the Spelljammer idea is pure Gold. Good on ya.

When I think about a D&D Kre-o castle, I can´t avoide a old Spanish building toy, Exin Castillos, unknown in the English-speaker market. 

And I warn you, the 3D printers are near, in a cominsoon future, the 3D printers will change the game of miniatures and constructions toys. Imagine a home where father download the file to create pieces to create a playmobil version of the Dragonlance characters or Dark Sun LEGO by means of the 3D printer and fan-art created by other players.

I suggest or advice to Hasbro a spin-off of Kre-o, with figures of three inches size. 

* There is a great oportunity with the module about skirmishses, sieges and mass battles, becauses the miniatures could be used for it. 

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

I will be picking these up for sure . . .

I don't use miniatures due to the cost and the time it takes to assemble and paint.

( Plus, I'm rubbish at it . . . )

I'm using coloured game pieces right now to mark players and monsters.

These will be a nice improvement.

Any idea about cost, when we'll see them or how they'll be packaged?

Thanks . . .

The figures aren't bad, I really want to see what the rest of the sets will look like. Link:

news.toyark.com/2013/07/19/sdcc-2013-dun...

Some of minifigures have got a good look, as if designer really were inspired that day. 

* I have thought about the videogame adaptation of Kre-o, like LEGO. It could be a good way to make experiments about alternative variants of d20 system. For example a super-simple d20 system to create a D&D board game for 7+ children, or videogames about real-time-strategy or kingdom simulation. 

d20 Future, and the Intelectual Propietes, Gamma World,  Star*Drive and Star Frontier could come back using Kre-o like first steps.

My opinion is there is a space in the market for D&D Kre-o, the collector fanboys. 

Sign In to post comments