Creating Custom Monsters

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but am I the only one that feels like there needs to be more guidance for how to create a custom monster. There doesn't seem to be enough options available to just pick and choose from what is available in the bestiary.

I wanted to make a custom BBEG that isn't a humanoid, but the monsters don't seem to follow any kind of rhyme or reason as why some creatures traits justify their higher xp values. I really wish that the level and xp of creatures followed some reasonable pattern.

Another issue is how to calculate the budge for a challenge or earned experience when you have henchman or ally NPCs involved. I have been just subtracting their xp totals from the encounter, but it feels like they end up contributing more then their xp value to the party.

I attempted to create an encounter for next session that includes the custom monster below. Compared to other creatures its level the custom creature seems pretty tame, but its hard to judge; the halfblood and medusa, of the same level, seem very strong by comparison.

Show
Sonyia

Medium Monstrosity (Shapechanger)

Armor Class 13

Hit Points 33 (6d8+6); see Traits below

Speed 30 ft.

Senses darkvision 100 ft.

Str 12 (+1) Dex 16 (+3) Con 12 (+1)

Int 14 (+2) Wis 10 (+0) Cha 16 (+3)

Alignment chaotic evil

Languages Abyssal, Common

TRAITS

Resistances: The Sonyia is resistant to cold, fire, and lightning, and to nonmagical weapons except those made of cold-forged iron.

Telepathy: The Sonyia can communicate telepathically with any creature within 100 feet of it that can understand a language.

ACTIONS

Multiattack: Sonyia makes two claw attacks and if either hit the target must make a DC 12 Wisdom saving throw (elves are immune). Failed Save: The target is charmed for 1 minute but can use an action while charmed to make a DC 12 Wisdom check. If the check succeeds, the charmed ends. 

Melee Attack—Claws: +5 to hit (reach 5 ft.; one creature). 

Hit: 5 (1d6 + 1) slashing damage.

Melee Attack—Kiss: +5 to hit (reach 5 ft.; one creature charmed by Soniya). Hit: 13 (2d10 + 2) pychic damage, and the target must make a DC 12 Will saving throw (elves are immune). Failed Save: The target is paralyzed for 1 minute but can use an action while paralyzed to make a DC 12 Constitution check. If the check succeeds, the paralysis ends. 

A creature whose hit point is reduced to 0 by this attack remains conscious and is dominated. If the targeted creature regains 1 or more hit points both affects end.

Change Shape: The Sonyia polymorphs into a Small or Medium humanoid, and can remain in this form indefinitely. The succubus’s statistics do not change when assuming a new shape (except for its size). The Sonyia reverts to its natural form when killed.

ENCOUNTER BUILDING
Level 5 XP 240

The encounter include my customer creature, a Dark Priest and a dozen lemure, both from the bestiary, fighting against three level 3 adventures and 4 orc support fighting with them. The budget for three levels 3 is 480xp, a tough encounter, and this would sum up to 350xp, I deduct the xp for the orcs. Is this too much for a level 3 party with a few orcs for support? Too little? I'm finding the DM packet really lacks proper guidance I feel.

Big Model: Creative Agenda
Love 4e? Concerned about its future? join the Old Guard of 4th Edition
Reality Refracted: Social Contracts

My blog of random stuff 

Dreaming the Impossible Dream
Imagine a world where the first-time D&D player rolls stats, picks a race, picks a class, picks an alignment, and buys gear to create a character. Imagine if an experienced player, maybe the person helping our theoretical player learn the ropes, could also make a character by rolling ability scores and picking a race, class, feat, skills, class features, spells or powers, and so on. Those two players used different paths to build characters, but the system design allows them to play at the same table. -Mearl

"It is a general popular error to suppose the loudest complainers for the publick to be the most anxious for its welfare." - Edmund Burke
You aren't the only one! I've pulled most of the math apart and am about halfway through wiritng a series of blog aritcles on it.

Based on what I've worked out...

She looks like an Average creature, rather than a Tough or "Solo". And for this I think...

• AC: Correct

• HP: Correct

• To-Hit: Correct

• Damage:

• Multiattack is a little on the low side, but compensated for with the charm so about right.

• Kiss is slightly too strong with the paralyze effect. Maybe drop the damage a couple points or make it a recharge power.

• XP: Should be 250

Since this is a named creature you may want to make it at least a Tough opponent...

• HP: 50

• Damage: about 20/round

• XP: 500.

That's based on current monster math. I would probably increase hp by about 5 (10 for Tough) in my own game and attack by 1.

Want to understand D&D 5e monsters?  ♦  @surfarcher  ♦  +Surf Archer  ♦  /u/surfarcher

You aren't the only one! I've pulled most of the math apart and am about halfway through wiritng a series of blog aritcles on it.

Based on what I've worked out...

She looks like an Average creature, rather than a Tough or "Solo". And for this I think...

• AC: Correct

• HP: Correct

• To-Hit: Correct

• Damage:

• Multiattack is a little on the low side, but compensated for with the charm so about right.

• Kiss is slightly too strong with the paralyze effect. Maybe drop the damage a couple points or make it a recharge power.

• XP: Should be 250

Since this is a named creature you may want to make it at least a Tough opponent...

• HP: 50

• Damage: about 20/round

• XP: 500.

That's based on current monster math. I would probably increase hp by about 5 (10 for Tough) in my own game and attack by 1.

Thanks for the feedback!

The reason I had made it so high was the requirement for the charm affect to be in place prior to being able to utilize the ability. With that in mind, would you still see the ability needing a damage reduction?

My blog of random stuff 

Imagine a world where the first-time D&D player rolls stats, picks a race, picks a class, picks an alignment, and buys gear to create a character. Imagine if an experienced player, maybe the person helping our theoretical player learn the ropes, could also make a character by rolling ability scores and picking a race, class, feat, skills, class features, spells or powers, and so on. Those two players used different paths to build characters, but the system design allows them to play at the same table. -Mearl

"It is a general popular error to suppose the loudest complainers for the publick to be the most anxious for its welfare." - Edmund Burke
Glad I could provide a little assitance!

Ah, yeah I missed that. I think it's good as-is then.

Do your PCs have magic items? If they all have at least a +1 weapon then increasing AC by 1 will be important. If they all have +1 magic armor I'd increase attack by +1 too. Also damage and defence feats make the PCs as though they are higher level than the monsters design.

As to your encounter design question, which I missed (Spoiler block). I think the encounter will be OK. Not an easy fight and it could TPK noobs. But otherwise OK.

Want to understand D&D 5e monsters?  ♦  @surfarcher  ♦  +Surf Archer  ♦  /u/surfarcher

Sleypy, I'd be careful with the number of Lemures. Those alone will outnumber the PCs 4:1, which makes it a tough combat. If you add in your creature and the Dark Priest, there will be trouble. I'd start with your creature, the Dark Priest and 3-6 Lemures. You can always add more in another wave some how, if you feel it needs it. (even this might be tougher than you think, against only 3 PCs. because the tide can turn very quickly if the Priest casts Heightened Inflict Wounds, Inflict Wounds, etc...and your creature charms/dominates someone).

Also, the Lemures are immune to fire, so Burning Hands will not be effective against them, so a wizard will have a tough time with AoE (unless using thunderwave).

Edit:  Oh...I forgot about the Orc support.....if the Orcs can hold off the Lemures...then you can probably use 12 of them.

A Brave Knight of WTF - "Wielder of the Sword of Balance"

Rhenny's Blog:  http://community.wizards.com/user/1497701/blog

Glad I could provide a little assitance!

Ah, yeah I missed that. I think it's good as-is then.

Do your PCs have magic items? If they all have at least a +1 weapon then increasing AC by 1 will be important. If they all have +1 magic armor I'd increase attack by +1 too. Also damage and defence feats make the PCs as though they are higher level than the monsters design.

As to your encounter design question, which I missed (Spoiler block). I think the encounter will be OK. Not an easy fight and it could TPK noobs. But otherwise OK.

Sorry about that I fixed the spoiler block.

To provide more information, the party consist of a brute ranger, cleric and a fighter. The ranger had his favored enemy swapped fom brutes to abberations because he died and had to make a deal with the Raven Queen. The cleric wis built as lifegiver. The fighter will be a strength based sword and shield user. Right now there is only one magic item which is kind of an artifact. I planned to have the NPC have a necklace, I haven't determined what it is, but I will probably be some sort of protection item.

Party's magic item is being used by the ranger and isn't currently attuned:
Show

Raven's Onus

The sword hates undead and aberrant creatures and will compel any creature that possesses the blade with urges to destroy these creatures. Once day, when a character acts out of accordance with the blade they must succeed on a DC 5 charisma check to avoid being compelled into violent action.

Property: You gain a +1 bonus to the attack rolls and the damage rolls you make with this sword.

An evil creature that touches the weapon experiences strong revulsion. If it maintains contact with the weapon for 1 round, the creature takes 3d6 psychic damage. That creature continues to take this damage each time it starts its turn holding or carrying the weapon.

Property (Attuned): The sword deals 1d8 extra radiant damage on hits against aberrations or undead.

Whenever you draw this weapon, All creatures and objects within a 30-foot-radius sphere take on a monochrome color and glow with a dull ambient light. All other sources of light and darkness are rendered ineffective inside this sphere.

Finally, you can cast Turn Undead 1/day using your class level plus class attack bonus in place of cleric level. Creatures that are aberrations are also subject to the spell's affects.

My blog of random stuff 

Sleypy, I'd be careful with the number of Lemures. Those alone will outnumber the PCs 4:1, which makes it a tough combat. If you add in your creature and the Dark Priest, there will be trouble. I'd start with your creature, the Dark Priest and 3-6 Lemures. You can always add more in another wave some how, if you feel it needs it. (even this might be tougher than you think, against only 3 PCs. because the tide can turn very quickly if the Priest casts Heightened Inflict Wounds, Inflict Wounds, etc...and your creature charms/dominates someone).

Also, the Lemures are immune to fire, so Burning Hands will not be effective against them, so a wizard will have a tough time with AoE (unless using thunderwave).

Edit:  Oh...I forgot about the Orc support.....if the Orcs can hold off the Lemures...then you can probably use 12 of them.

Unfortunitely there isn't a wizard, but I gave them an artifact item to hopefully offset that limitation some.

My blog of random stuff 

OK since the PCs are "item light" they'll find it hard than say my group at level 3 I still think they'll be fine, assuming they understand how to play their PCs well. I predict a tough fight, but not a TPK.

And Rhenny is correct. If the Orcs aren't useful as allies it'll probably be a different story. Try to remember that a same level monster is worth about half a PC. So you sort of have a 4.5 person party :D

@surf13 & @Rhenny Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate the help. I have been giving hints left and right and have had them have a small skirmish with lemure already. I'm hoping I gave them enough foreshadowing that they should have some idea of what they are getting themselves into.

The ranger is actually a character from another campaign that had a tragic background. The player never actually said what it was and pretty much gave me free reign to make up a side campaign as a "re-enactment" of that tragic tale. It kind of important to me that I do it justice.

My blog of random stuff 

@surf13 & @Rhenny Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate the help. I have been giving hints left and right and have had them have a small skirmish with lemure already. I'm hoping I gave them enough foreshadowing that they should have some idea of what they are getting themselves into.

The ranger is actually a character from another campaign that had a tragic background. The player never actually said what it was and pretty much gave me free reign to make up a side campaign as a "re-enactment" of that tragic tale. It kind of important to me that I do it justice.

Sounds great. Have fun with it.

A Brave Knight of WTF - "Wielder of the Sword of Balance"

Rhenny's Blog:  http://community.wizards.com/user/1497701/blog

Yeah, I'd enjoy DMing that... Make sure you do too!

If possible, I'd love some feedback on these two new variant monsters I put together for my next session.

Group of Five PCs, they will be level 2 (just barely).  They're on the lighter side of the spectrum of good tactics at the moment, and have no magic items to speak of, but I gave them warning this area might be more difficult than they intended and they're heading on in anyway.

I have several regular Harpies present.  But, I wanted some lesser Harpies, and then in a nearby area a greater Harpy that will serve as a queen of this clan of Harpies. 

Here's what I created, and I'd like some thoughts on whether these roughly meet the guidelines, in as much as there are any guidelines (and I am looking forward to that blog post breaking down what can be discerned from the existing playtest beastiary):

Harpy Screech (Lesser Harpy)

Medium Monstrosity

Armor Class 13

Hit Points 13 (3d8)

Speed 15 ft., fly 30 ft.

Str 10 (+0)  Dex 13 (+1)  Con 11 (+0)

Int 7 (–2)  Wis 8 (-1)  Cha 8 (–1)

Alignment: Chaotic evil

Languages: Common

ACTIONS

Hit: 5 (1d8+1) slashing damage.

Screeching Song: The harpy chooses a creature within 30 feet of it (other harpies and deafened creatures are immune).  The target must make a DC 8 Constitution saving throw. Failed Save: The target takes 2 (1d4) bludgeoning damage, and is staggered for 1 minute.  While staggered, the target has disadvantage on melee roles and strength checks. The target can use its action to break the staggered effect (requiring a DC 8 Constitution check). If the check succeeds, the staggered effect ends.

Level 2 XP 30

------

Harpy Queen (Greater Harpy)

Medium Monstrosity

Armor Class 14

Hit Points 14 (3d8+1)

Speed 15 ft., fly 40 ft.

Str 11 (+0)  Dex 14 (+2)  Con 12 (+0)

Int 8 (–1)  Wis 11 (+0)  Cha 9 (–1)

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

TRAITS

Captivating: The harpy has advantage on attack rolls made against creatures under the charm of a harpy.

ACTIONS

Multiattack: The harpy makes a claws attack and a spiked club attack.

Hit: 7 (2d4 + 2) slashing damage.

Melee Attack—Spiked Club: +4 to hit (reach 5 ft.; one creature).

Hit: 3 (1d6) piercing/bludgeoning damage.

Luring Song: The harpy chooses a creature within 300 feet of it (other harpies and deafened creatures are immune). The target must make a DC 10 Wisdom saving throw. Failed Save: The target is charmed for 1 minute. While charmed by the harpy, the target must first move closer to the harpy. After that, it can use its action to break the charm (requiring a DC 10 Wisdom check). If the check succeeds, the charm effect ends.  Once the target makes a successful saving throw or breaks the charm with a successful skill check, it is immune to the luring song of all harpies for the next 24 hours.

Screeching Song: The harpy chooses a creature within 50 feet of it (other harpies and deafened creatures are immune).  The target must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw. Failed Save: The target takes 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage, and is staggered for 1 minute.  While staggered, the target has disadvantage on melee roles and strength checks. The target can use its action to break the staggered effect (requiring a DC 10 Constitution check). If the check succeeds, the stagered effect ends.

ENCOUNTER BUILDING

Level 3  XP 70

If possible, I'd love some feedback on these two new variant monsters I put together for my next session.

Group of Five PCs, they will be level 2 (just barely).  They're on the lighter side of the spectrum of good tactics at the moment, and have no magic items to speak of, but I gave them warning this area might be more difficult than they intended and they're heading on in anyway.

I have several regular Harpies present.  But, I wanted some lesser Harpies, and then in a nearby area a greater Harpy that will serve as a queen of this clan of Harpies. 

Here's what I created, and I'd like some thoughts on whether these roughly meet the guidelines, in as much as there are any guidelines (and I am looking forward to that blog post breaking down what can be discerned from the existing playtest beastiary):

Show

Medium Monstrosity

Armor Class 13

Hit Points 13 (3d8)

Speed 15 ft., fly 30 ft.

Str 10 (+0)  Dex 13 (+1)  Con 11 (+0)

Int 7 (–2)  Wis 8 (-1)  Cha 8 (–1)

ACTIONS

Screeching Song: The harpy chooses a creature within 30 feet of it (other harpies and deafened creatures are immune).  The target must make a DC 8 Constitution saving throw. Failed Save: The target takes 2 (1d4) bludgeoning damage, and is staggered for 1 minute.  While staggered, the target has disadvantage on melee roles and strength checks. The target can use its action to break the staggered effect (requiring a DC 8 Constitution check). If the check succeeds, the staggered effect ends.

Level 2 XP 30

------

Medium Monstrosity

Armor Class 14

Hit Points 14 (3d8+1)

Speed 15 ft., fly 40 ft.

Str 11 (+0)  Dex 14 (+2)  Con 12 (+0)

Int 8 (–1)  Wis 11 (+0)  Cha 9 (–1)

TRAITS

Captivating: The harpy has advantage on attack rolls made against creatures under the charm of a harpy.

ACTIONS

Melee Attack—Spiked Club: +4 to hit (reach 5 ft.; one creature).

Luring Song: The harpy chooses a creature within 300 feet of it (other harpies and deafened creatures are immune). The target must make a DC 10 Wisdom saving throw. Failed Save: The target is charmed for 1 minute. While charmed by the harpy, the target must first move closer to the harpy. After that, it can use its action to break the charm (requiring a DC 10 Wisdom check). If the check succeeds, the charm effect ends.  Once the target makes a successful saving throw or breaks the charm with a successful skill check, it is immune to the luring song of all harpies for the next 24 hours.

Screeching Song: The harpy chooses a creature within 50 feet of it (other harpies and deafened creatures are immune).  The target must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw. Failed Save: The target takes 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage, and is staggered for 1 minute.  While staggered, the target has disadvantage on melee roles and strength checks. The target can use its action to break the staggered effect (requiring a DC 10 Constitution check). If the check succeeds, the stagered effect ends.

ENCOUNTER BUILDING

Level 3  XP 70

Sorry for the late response...

They look fine for the most part I'm going to respond to what I see as a possible issue.

The Lesser and Queen version probably should have a larger difference between hit points and ability scores.

The queen has about two issue. One is staggering. I don't think you should create and define a new effect in a monster attack block. It could be confusing so maybe put the definition of staggering into a house rule document that players have access to. This way you don't have to define it in every custom monster that uses the effect. The other thing is you might want to give your leader types creatures a more noticible bump in their charisma score.

Other then those things they look good to me. Sorry again for the delay in responding.

My blog of random stuff 

Neither of your creatures is too far from the mark.

So the main Harpy in the Bestiary is an Average level 2 creature.

Harpy Screech
I assume you intend this to be an Easy level 2 creature and it looks about right. I could argue that attack bonus and AC should both be reduced by one, but the fact is +/1 for both of these is quite normal and shouldn't be a issue.

That said I would probably reduce HP to 9 or 10, tho.

Harpy Queen
I'm assuming you want a tough Level 3 here.  Again, an average level 3 Tough would have a slightly lower AC but +/-1 (14 being +1) is fine.

Suggested alterations...

• HP: 25

• XP: 120

• Attributes look skew-if. Mind you I often ignore these Try stealing a stat-block from another Level 3, XP 100-140 creature.

The Queen looks very 4e-ish and I'd be very wary of introducing new conditions into the system.

Be careful of those Harpy songs with your noobs :D

Thanks for the responses guys!

I am fine replacing the Staggering ability with something else.  I just wanted to accomplish a few goals with this: 1) have it be a different effect than the Luring Song, 2) have it be a more physical attack than Luring Song (which is more of a mental one), and 3) have it do some sort of lasting physically disabling harm to the harmed player until they can accomplish a save.

Now, given both of you thought it was an unecessary level of complexity to add the staggering effect (and I agree), what should I replace it with? Simply disadvantaged until they make their save?
You could simply make the target Paralyzed, Restrained or Stunned. I'd probably go with Restrained - the other two are porbably too powerful.

Otherwise yes, simply inflict some penalty until they make their save!

You could simply make the target Paralyzed, Restrained or Stunned. I'd probably go with Restrained - the other two are porbably too powerful.

I'd say restrained is not in line with the intent for the ability (nothing about it would make sense for keeping you in one spot - it's more of a "take the wind out of you" sort of ability) and as you say, all the others are too powerful.

I'd say restrained is not in line with the intent for the ability (nothing about it would make sense for keeping you in one spot - it's more of a "take the wind out of you" sort of ability) and as you say, all the others are too powerful.

Intoxicated sounds about what your looking. It also will sound pretty cool to tell your players her song is intoxicating.

My blog of random stuff 

Intoxicated sounds about what your looking. It also will sound pretty cool to tell your players her song is intoxicating.

Yeah that could work. I skipped it because he wanted a "physical effect" tho Smile

Yeah that could work. I skipped it because he wanted a "physical effect" tho

Ah I missed that part.

My blog of random stuff 

Yeah that could work. I skipped it because he wanted a "physical effect" tho

Good enough.  I can call it Intoxicating Song, and it can have the effect of making you feel like you are hung-over (though it's simply similar to being hung-over).  I think you guys are right, and it's better to go with an existing condition than to make one up.

Though, it does tell me that perhaps they should add a few more effects, so there is more stuff to choose from. 

I'll also make the following alterations recommended by Surf13:
Harpy Screech: attack bonus and AC should both be reduced by one; reduce HP to 9 or 10.
Harpy Queen: slightly lower AC; HP around 25; higher XP award

I do role for HP, so I am not going to assign fixed numbers just alter the range to average around those target numbers.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I will post the final copy shortly.

Medium Monstrosity
Armor Class 12
Hit Points 9 (2d8)
Speed 15 ft., fly 30 ft.
Str 10 (+0) Dex 13 (+1) Con 11 (+0)
Int 7 (–2) Wis 8 (-1) Cha 8 (–1)

ACTIONS

Melee AttackClaws: +4 to hit (reach 5 ft.; one creature).

Intoxicating Song: The harpy emits a buffeting screech which makes creatures feel like they’re hung-over.  The harpy chooses a creature within 30 feet of it (other harpies and deafened creatures are immune). The target must make a DC 8 Constitution saving throw. Failed Save: The target takes 2 (1d4) bludgeoning damage, and suffers from the Intoxicated condition for 1 minute (disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks; spellcasting requires DC 10 Constitution check, or else spellcasting action is wasted, but not the spell itself).  The target can use its action to break the Intoxicated effect (requiring a DC 8 Constitution check). If the check succeeds, the Intoxicated effect ends.

Level 2 XP 30

------

Medium Monstrosity
Armor Class 13
Hit Points 25 (5d8+3)
Speed 15 ft., fly 40 ft.
Str 11 (+0) Dex 14 (+2) Con 12 (+0)
Int 8 (–1) Wis 11 (+0) Cha 13 (+2)

TRAITS

ACTIONS

Melee AttackClaws: +5 to hit (reach 5 ft.; one creature).

Melee AttackSpiked Club: +4 to hit (reach 5 ft.; one creature).

Luring Song: The harpy chooses a creature within 90 feet of it (other harpies and deafened creatures are immune). The target must make a DC 10 Wisdom saving throw. Failed Save: The target is charmed for 1 minute. While charmed by the harpy, the target must first move closer to the harpy. After that, it can use its action to break the charm (requiring a DC 10 Wisdom check). If the check succeeds, the charm effect ends. Once the target makes a successful saving throw or breaks the charm with a successful skill check, it is immune to the luring song of all harpies for the next 24 hours.

Intoxicating Song: The harpy emits a buffeting screech which makes creatures feel like they’re hung-over.  The harpy chooses a creature within 50 feet of it (other harpies and deafened creatures are immune). The target must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw. Failed Save: The target takes 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage, and suffers from the Intoxicated condition for 1 minute (disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks; spellcasting requires DC 10 Constitution check, or else spellcasting action is wasted, but not the spell itself).  The target can use its action to break the Intoxicating effect (requiring a DC 10 Constitution check). If the check succeeds, the Intoxicated effect ends.

ENCOUNTER BUILDING

Level 3 XP 100

Medium Monstrosity
Armor Class 12
Hit Points 9 (2d8)
Speed 15 ft., fly 30 ft.
Str 10 (+0) Dex 13 (+1) Con 11 (+0)
Int 7 (–2) Wis 8 (-1) Cha 8 (–1)

ACTIONS

Melee AttackClaws: +4 to hit (reach 5 ft.; one creature).

Intoxicating Song: The harpy emits a buffeting screech which makes creatures feel like they’re hung-over.  The harpy chooses a creature within 30 feet of it (other harpies and deafened creatures are immune). The target must make a DC 8 Constitution saving throw. Failed Save: The target takes 2 (1d4) bludgeoning damage, and suffers from the Intoxicated condition for 1 minute (disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks; spellcasting requires DC 10 Constitution check, or else spellcasting action is wasted, but not the spell itself).  The target can use its action to break the Intoxicated effect (requiring a DC 8 Constitution check). If the check succeeds, the Intoxicated effect ends.

Level 2 XP 30

------

Medium Monstrosity
Armor Class 13
Hit Points 25 (5d8+3)
Speed 15 ft., fly 40 ft.
Str 11 (+0) Dex 14 (+2) Con 12 (+0)
Int 8 (–1) Wis 11 (+0) Cha 13 (+2)

TRAITS

ACTIONS

Melee AttackClaws: +5 to hit (reach 5 ft.; one creature).

Melee AttackSpiked Club: +4 to hit (reach 5 ft.; one creature).

Luring Song: The harpy chooses a creature within 90 feet of it (other harpies and deafened creatures are immune). The target must make a DC 10 Wisdom saving throw. Failed Save: The target is charmed for 1 minute. While charmed by the harpy, the target must first move closer to the harpy. After that, it can use its action to break the charm (requiring a DC 10 Wisdom check). If the check succeeds, the charm effect ends. Once the target makes a successful saving throw or breaks the charm with a successful skill check, it is immune to the luring song of all harpies for the next 24 hours.

Intoxicating Song: The harpy emits a buffeting screech which makes creatures feel like they’re hung-over.  The harpy chooses a creature within 50 feet of it (other harpies and deafened creatures are immune). The target must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw. Failed Save: The target takes 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage, and suffers from the Intoxicated condition for 1 minute (disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks; spellcasting requires DC 10 Constitution check, or else spellcasting action is wasted, but not the spell itself).  The target can use its action to break the Intoxicating effect (requiring a DC 10 Constitution check). If the check succeeds, the Intoxicated effect ends.

ENCOUNTER BUILDING

Level 3 XP 100

Looks Good!

My blog of random stuff 

Hey surf13, could you link me to your blog? I'm really curious as to the mathematical basis for 5E's monsters.
@Koga305

I got kinda stuck writing up the hitpoints post, but pretty much cracked it this morning. Once that one's done I'll start posting them.

There'll be a thread on here where I index all the posts and folks can feel free to discuss.