[Contest] Planet Multiverse - Sign Up

19 posts / 0 new
Last post

IMAGE(http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2008/07/31/Planet-earth-460x276.jpg)

Planet Multiverse

Welcome to Planet Multiverse!

This is a top-down creature design contest where you will be creating cards that emulate real-world animals! There are 7 planned rounds, though if this proves to be popular at sign-up, I can add an 8th round. Each round will take place in a different, preselected location from various points around the globe.

Each round, I will create a new thread with the location prominently displayed in the title (i.e., "[Planet Multiverse] Round 1 - ____") Once each player has submitted an entry (one entry per player), I will close the submissions and begin grading the cards. If enough time goes by without a player submitting a card for the round, I reserve the right to end the round manually (don't worry; I'll remind you if need be).

Being a top-down contest, flavor rules the day here, as I am looking to have the animal's characteristics accurately represented in the card. Abilities, power, toughness, color, creature type...all should tell me what the card is attempting to show. For example, here are two creatures that flavorfully show a real-world animal:
Examples
Honey Badger
147480487 wrote:
Honey Badger  :Rm::Gm::Gm:
Creature - Badger

Double strike, trample, shroud.

2/3

Honey Badger don't care.

Mockingbird
147480487 wrote:
Mockingbird  :Gm::Wm::Um::
Creature - Bird

Flying
As long as Mockingbird is on the battlefield, it has all activated abilities of all other creatures on the battlefield.

0/1

It's best trick is learning new ones.

Your cards will be graded on 3 categories, with each category weighted to how I see fit: Flavor, Accuracy, and Balance. The grading breakdown goes as follows:
Grading

Flavor - 50 pts

(Does the the animal behave as the abilities say it should?)

I'm a sucker for flavor. I want cards to tell me a story with their mechanics. As such, I weight this category the heaviest. Even if you botch the other categories, if you hit flavor spot-on with an accurate representation of how the animal behaves, you can still get half of the possible points.

-Note-

If the animal you create is neither native nor non-native to the area the round is set in, you will lose all Flavor points automatically. I don't care if the animal can originally be found there or if it was introduced; I need to be able to find that animal somewhere (NOT in a zoo) if I were to go to that area.

Accuracy - 30 pts

(Anatomical Representation)

This is where creature type, power, toughness, and, to a lesser extent color, come into play. Real-world insects are not X/5 creatures, and there are no Goblins in nature. Just some things to keep in mind. And yes, I will be briefly researching whatever animal you choose to validate accuracy. The internet is a wonderful tool.

Balance - 20 pts

(Costs vs P/T vs Color)

Casting costs, ability costs, and P/T are evaluated to get the Balance score. Also taken into consideration is the cards power/abilities/costs and weighing it against its colors. If green ever gets a creature with flying, it is generally very, very small.

-Note-

Admittedly, I am not very good at balancing cards, and this is more of a flavor contest. But that doesn't mean I can't smell something that is far too overpowered. Granted, I like really strong cards. But I will shave some points off for ridiculously broken cards. That being said, there are no rarity restrictions in any of the rounds; "commons" and "rares" alike are welcome, so long as they are bursting with flavor!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Bonus Points-

If there is anything I love most about Magic cards, it's great flavor text. If you can write some flavor text that blows me away, either by being very funny or truly epic, I may throw a few extra points your way.

-Note Note-

Also, yes yes, Humans are animals. For the purposes of this contest, Humans don't count.

I would like to get 14 players , which would allow for 7 rounds with 2 cuts at the end of each, save for the final round (the two lowest scoring cards each round would be cut). Less interest would mean probably only 1 cut per round, where greater interest would likely mean an 8th round.

Contestants
CuriousHeartless
Shockwave07
vlord
Fakeartist
ninetailedfox
Glasir
Dudibus
AlienFinger79
Ulcaster
ulyth
thatmarkguy
Jaz.
an_endless_epidemic

So, is anyone interested in playing?
Urza is my Shepherd. Planet Multiverse
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:
I'd hate to accidentally walk partially into one.
Random Tolarian wizard's last words. ;)
Real life fact: I'm terrified of Grizzly Bears, Polar Bears... and bears that could potentially blink into reality through a time rift.
Not sure about anyone else, but I'm in this for sure. So interesting.
Always looking for something to, sign me up.
In.
Looks interesting, in.

Hey Everyone, if you have a few minutes I'd like to point you to two links that you might find interesting. The first is a plane of my own creation that is still in the works. I am always happy for some assistance in working on it.

The second is a link to the oldest continuously running contest in the You Make the Card forum. It is truly a contest like no other. It is faithfully run by a handful of regulars who are always kind and open to any new comers, please drop by and check it out if you're interested in making cards!

you know i can't pass up opportunties to do top down designs.

The biggest Vorthos Ever I'd rather have an awesome mechanic than the most flavor any day. Constantly coming up with cards all the time. So if you see a card you like tell me. Constantly trying to get into card of the week if you see a card you like please nominate.

In. 

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

In.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
In.
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
I'm in.
Present
Awesome, we've got 10 players so far. This works too, but I could use 4 more players! I'll close sign-ups either tonight at 8:00 PM, Central Standard Time, or, if I go to the LGS for some games, when I get back.
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:
Real life fact: I'm terrified of Grizzly Bears, Polar Bears... and bears that could potentially blink into reality through a time rift.
If I could just get an explanation as to why a honey badger has trample, double strike and shroud, I'm in. Otherwise, I have no chance at winning because none of my designs will come close to something that.... eclectic. I mean, it is top down designs, right? For regular animals?
Puresteel players unite! [Archetype] PURESTEEL
If I could just get an explanation as to why a honey badger has trample, double strike and shroud, I'm in. Otherwise, I have no chance at winning because none of my designs will come close to something that.... eclectic. I mean, it is top down designs, right? For regular animals?

Yes. And Honey Badger was just an example.

Shroud...was more for the flavor of "Honey Badger don't care." Admittedly, there are few creatures that that effect could be applied to. But if you can find a flavorful way to give a creature Shroud, more power to you.

And have you read about the Honey Badger? Double Strike fits its ferocity in an exemplary fashion. Trample perhaps less, but that card wouldn't have gotten perfect scores anyway.

I'm extremely flexible with flavor-interpretation, so don't worry about stretching the bounds a bit.
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:
I'm in.

Yes. And Honey Badger was just an example.

Shroud...was more for the flavor of "Honey Badger don't care." Admittedly, there are few creatures that that effect could be applied to. But if you can find a flavorful way to give a creature Shroud, more power to you.

And have you read about the Honey Badger? Double Strike fits its ferocity in an exemplary fashion. Trample perhaps less, but that card wouldn't have gotten perfect scores anyway.

I'm extremely flexible with flavor-interpretation, so don't worry about stretching the bounds a bit.

I mean, I get the meme. But, yeah.

Eh, I'll give it a shot. I'm in.
Puresteel players unite! [Archetype] PURESTEEL
I'll scoop up that 13th spot.
~ 1 hour left to sign up! Looking for the final contestant.
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:

We have 13 contestants, so there will be 2 cuts each round until the final two rounds.

These are our contestants:
CuriousHeartless
Shockwave07
vlord
Fakeartist
ninetailedfox
Glasir
Dudibus
AlienFinger79
Ulcaster
ulyth
thatmarkguy
Jaz.
an_endless_epidemic

Without further ado, we shall begin Round 1.
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote: