Building Blocks of Creation - The Build Concept Handbook

66 posts / 0 new
Last post
BUILDING BLOCKS OF CREATION - THE BUILD CONCEPT HANDBOOK

This is a massive undertaking for me.  I hope it benefits the community !

Each main section will be broken up into sub sections which will have their own threads.  This way the feedback / questions and what not can be broken down to relevant areas.

I'll be doing work over an extended period of time, I thank you all for your patience.  If you see mistakes or problems, feel free to point them out to me and I'll try to fix them ASAP.

EDIT: Once I get a better feel for how many posts I'll actually need, i'll delete some of the reserved.  I just didn't want to get stuck with not enough since that seems to be a common problem with handbooks. 

EDIT 2: The main sections are not set in a particular order, I'm just brainstorming at the moment.  Feel free to make suggestions ! 

Important General Links

"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

SCHTICKS

Perma Stealth

At-will proning
basic combinations

Eldritch Strike + Flail Expertise = At-Will Proning

Overwhelming Strike + Flail Expertise (+ Power of Skill) = (MBA) At-Will Proning

Lashing Flail + Flail Expertise = MBA proning

Crit-fishing

Mounted Combat

Catch-22's

Sub-Zero Fighting

etc
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

ELEMENTAL DAMAGE

How to's

Fire
Fire Options

In this section we discuss the options available for the creation of a character who focuses on fire.  It needs to be said that there exists Weapon Enchantments that will turn all damage done via their use into a specific damage type.  Of those, the Firewind Blade Enchant is the best when it comes to focusing on the Fire element, however it's restricted to Heavy Blade weapons.  Second place goes to the Flame Weapon Enchantment which has less restrictions.  This section however will discuss the other options available.

RACES:
One of the more important choices when creating a character is which race to pick.  Without doubt the race which offers the most support towards a fire focused build is the Tiefling.  The racial benefits include numerous feats that boost fire powers (accuracy+damage) as well as a racial fire damage power that can be used out of turn.  The race also includes an initiative feat which changes the Ability Score used to Charisma instead of the default, Dexterity.  They are the best race for builds that focus on the Fire element.  For more information on this race, check out the Handbook below.

A special mention is the Dragonborn race.  The key race to creating a Rebreather build, the Dragonborn race also has a few feats that can give boosts to Fire users indirectly.  I won't go into much detail other than to point out the relevant stuff to this entry.  The Dragonborn race get a racial Minor Action power called Dragonbreath.  Dragonbreath, upon character creation, can be made to deal various damage types, one of which is Fire.  The feat Draconic Spellcaster gives a +1 bonus to both Attack Rolls and Damage Rolls to powers that share the damage type of your Dragonbreath.  So if you pick Fire as your Dragonbreath damage type, all your other fire powers get the bonus.   There's also various ways to improve Dragonbreath.  The Rebreather is a unique build which is dicussed in the SCHTICK section of this handbook.  Look there for more information, but the basic premise is to use Dragonbreath, then through a specific combo of feats, regain the power so it can be used repeatedly.  It's a very powerful build, however it's quite complicated.  For more info on Rebreathers see below.  For more info on Dragonborns see further below.

Another option is the Genasi race mainly because of 2 specific feats, Elemental Empowerment and Shocking Flame.  Elemental Empowerment is available from level 1 and Shocking Flame comes in at level 11.  The bad part is that the two aren't very compatible.  However they are both quite powerful.  Elemental Empowerment works with Wizard Powers and Shocking Flame works for Melee builds.  Unfortunately combining both feats comfortably on a build is hard to do.  For more info on this race see below.

Another option is the ever present Revenant race which offers the Ability Scores of the race itself, but the feats and racial benefits of another on top of its own.  It's a unique racial option that allows for some rather special combinations.

Other than the above big 3, there's a few honorable mentions such as the Wilden race's Touch of Flame feat.  Humans get a lesser version of Shocking Flame, which doesn't require melee attacks, but does require a spellscar.  Dwarves/Muls get the Forgeborn Heritage feat and a nifty combination with regards to Second Wind optimization and the Firedancer feat which is available after taking Born of the Elements.  The Shifter races have ways of abusing Flamespeed Shifting.  The Fey races get access to the very powerful Theme Sarifal Fey Warden.  The Shadarkai have a feat to turn Hellish Rebuke into fire+necrotic damage.

CLASS:
The most important question you need to ask yourself is which class are you going to pick ?  When it comes to the Fire element, there's some very good options to consider.

Wizard (Arcanist): 
The original Wizard class is described a controller, however it doesn't take much to turn it into a capable Blaster.  The class has decent to great to amazing Fire powers at almost every level.  Creating a Fire Blaster Wizard that has nothing but Fire Powers is extremely easy to do.  If a power is ever not Fire based but the character would want it to be, making use of the feat Arcane Admixture in Paragon Tier is a good idea.  All that being said, the oWizard doesn't actually give any direct benefit to Fire users.  For more information please consult the Wizard Handbook.

Mage (Pyromancer):
When WOTC released the Essential Classes, one of the most noteworthy was the Mage.  The class was another take on the classic Wizard, however with important modifications to how the class functioned.  The Mage class lost some of the utility of the orginal Wizard, however what they gained is arguably much more powerful, Specialization Schools.  If you played DnD before the 4th edition, chances are you've heard of these various Schools.  Previously, they allowed a magic user to focus on a particular magic type (Enchantment, Evocation, Necromancy, etc..) but would no longer be able to cast spells of the opposing School of magic.  However in 4E, the Schools are simply bonuses that Mages can select with no penalty.  You get to select one of them upon creation and more as you level up, gaining various benefits along the way.  (More on this in the Wizard's Handbook)

Enter the Pyromancy and Evocation Schools.  For a Fire using Mage, the two Schools offer some rather appealing benefits.  The Pyromancy School, at level 1, gives the Mage the ability to ignore fire resistance which is very very useful to any build wanting to deal that specific damage type at all times.  The Evocation School gives the ability to reroll one damage die per damage roll of a power with the Evocation keyword (most Fire Powers will have it) that comes up as 1.

Furthermore Mages get access to all of the Wizard Class feats.  All in all, the Mage class is a powerful contender for a build focusing on the Fire element.  For more information please consult the Wizard's Handbook.

Sorcerer:
The Sorcerer is considered a Striker class.  Depending on the kind of sorcerer you create, the class has various Striker Mechanics which let it deal extra damage.  One of the main class benefits is the ability to add another Ability Score to damage rolls.  For example, a Dragon Sorcerer would get to use Charisma as his main Ability Score for damage but would also add its Strength modifier to the mix for free.  Sorcerers make excellent Fire users.  They have 2 at-will powers that are Fire based for example.  They also have a free resistance to a damage type of their choice and then also gain the ability to pierce resistance of that same type.  A rather useful thing to have when you're focusing on a specific damage type.

As mentioned earlier, the power selection of Sorcerer's is very generous when it comes to the Fire element.  2 at-will powers and Flame Spiral at level 3 for example, but a good Fire Power can be found at almost every level.  Powers that you wish could be Fire based can be Arcane Admixtured once in Paragon.  For more information see the Sorcerer's Handbook below.

firedancer + sw opd warden = fire always on

Radiant

Necrotic

Lightning

Thunder

Cold

etc

MATH FIXES AND THINGS NO ONE SHOULD GO WITHOUT 

ICONIC BUILD EXAMPLES

In this section we explore the various fruits of labors done by the many members of this forum.  Some builds have become very popular over the years and have multiple variations, such as the "-Switch" builds.  Credit for each build will be given properly.

EDIT: I am currently reviewing what the goals of this section are going to be.  There currently exists collectives of builds (see below) already created, basic run-of-the-mill class builds should be listed in their respective handbooks and not all builds are truly iconic of specific concepts.  I do believe that the "-Switch" family deserves to be here, for example.  I'll keep you up to date.

The Elysian Fields by Jugulator007

Unfortunately this grouping of builds is slightly out of date but there's many things here to look through.
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

The Hall of Heroes Collective by MC-DrowBane

A collective of builds which is out of date but it still contains useful information.  See below.

Pregen Characters Thread by Matyr

Before going further we need to link to a thread created by Matyr which holds many examples of pre-generated characters and basic chassis'.  See below.

Switch Builds

One of the most popular builds ever the grace this forum was created by none other than Auspex7 himself.  The build became known as Killswitch and although numerous versions now exist, it was quite a revelation to many at the time.  From what can be gathered, odds are that the inspiration behind Killswitch was another build posted by Adslahnit some time before called "A Lazy, Lazy Clever Commander".  This was the birth of the "Lazylord".

The term "Lazylord" is used to describe a Warlord build that dumps the Strength Ability Score (The listed Primary Ability Score for the class).  Instead, it makes use of the multitude of powers the warlord has which do not require attack rolls, such as the at-wills "Commander's Strike" or "Direct the Strike".  The general idea is to use this "Lazylord" strategy in a Hybrid build with another class.  This in turn allows a Hybrid to focus only on one main Ability Score, creating opportunities for unorthodox combinations.

Killswitch, over the years, has spawned a multitude of "-switch" builds which we will detail here.  A good first reference is the following thread, which features many people talking about the "-Switch" family, see below.

A Lazy, Lazy Clever Commander by Adslahnit

For posterity's sake, here's the build rumored to have been the inspiration behind it all.  Although it does have some rather glaring issues such as the absolute need for the party to have characters with Basic Attacks.  If you didn't, this builds value would sharply fall into oblivion.

Killswitch by Auspex7

The original build, although a bit out of date nowadays.  One of the main reasons why this build became so popular is because it solved the core problems of the "Lazylord" concept.  Some of the things suggested to modify include Crossbow Caster and Eldritch fusillade and changing the Paragon Path, amongst other things.  See below.

Lightswitch by Nausicaa

After the initial build was posted by Auspex7, it wasn't long before the first variation of the "-Switch" builds was posted.  See below.

Flameswitch by Cazzeo

The second variation posted in the "-Switch" family.  Cazzeo created this build in order to take advantage of the power "Spirit Infusion" from the Elemental Shaman and the many out of turn actions from the Warlord.  The build is still fully playable today even though some things could be improved such as the items the build uses, the theme and a few other things.  The marriage of classes gives a potent Leader, see below.
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...(Deva_ShamanWarlordFlame_of_HopeSoul_of_the_World)?post_id=532313733#532313733

Chordswitch by Mommy_was_an_Orc

The 3rd variation of the switch builds did something different.  It dropped the core chassis of the switch builds and showed that it was possible to create a "-Switch" equivalent using the Bard and Ardent classes.  The goal being to create a build that can not only give attacks but also give bonuses to those attacks, helping allies be more accurate.  See below.

Mia, Aspriring Lady of Blades; Avenger by Erachima

I'm going to be adding an ETV (Expect Table Variation) notice for this build.  This is nothing bad, it just means that the build uses some elements (most notably the Paragon Multiclass rules) in ways that not every DM agrees can be done.  The elements will be listed below.
ETV Elements

The most notable ETV element is using the Paragon Multiclass option at level 11 to select the Scouts damage feature "Dual Weapon Attack".  The arguments for how this works are listed in the builds thread, so I won't go over them as Erachima has done a very good job already.  The reason why this is argued as ETV is actually because it was never intended for the PMC rules to allow you to select a damage feature.  So any DM could argue that you can't.

The second ETV element I want to go over is the use of the Harmony Blade enchant.  Specifically, triggering "hit with both this weapon and your off-hand weapon" as a single hit.  This applies to both Harmony Blade and Dual Wield attack.  Both assume you are hitting with a separate main hand, then triggering benefits from the off hand. This assumption is thrown into disarray when your "main hand" *is* your off hand.

In conclusion, Mia is a very impressive build.  She's both slick in design and totally capable of single handedly destroying encounters from level 11 onwards.  For more information see below.

Machine Gun Breathing (Sparky), Sorcerer by Matyr

I'm going to be adding an ETV (Expect Table Variation) notice for this build.  This is nothing bad, it just means that the build uses some elements in ways that not every DM agrees can be done.  The elements will be listed below.
ETV Elements

As Matyr has detailed why and how the Rebreather works I won't bother detailing that.

The first and most important ETV element potentially breaks the entire concept of every Rebreather build.  This element falls under "Bag of Rats" because you're only supposed to get benefits when a target is a legitimate target.  However, it isn't sufficiently spelled out by RAW that deliberately aiming at your teammate constitutes a "Bag of Rats" event.  That being said, a DM is completely within his rights to state that your target is "Not legitimate, doesn't work".  This ETV element, as mentioned, is something that all Rebreather builds have to contend with.

The second ETV element has to do with the resolution order of the main Schtick.  The process behind damage taken, processing resist, half damage, etc..  is subject to interpretation because it's not clearly defined within the rules.  This has to do specifically with how everything resolves and in which order.  For example, when you hit your ally, do his resistances and damage mitigations kick in ?  If so does the remaining damage then transfer to you and is further reduced by your own damage mitigations ?

In conclusion Rebreathers are an extremely powerful build.  Recycling an encounter power at-will from level 2 or even 1 if you play a Human is both fun and dangerous.  I say dangerous because you can very well end up killing yourself if you're not careful, but that's part of the fun too !  Rebreathers however are sometimes seen as too powerful by many DM's and players.  Making sure everyone at the table is ok with it being there is the right thing to do before playing it.

Pyromancer

Illusionist

Beastmaster

Summoner

Enchanter

Rebreather

Crit-fishers

Teleporters

etc

EDIT:  Also to include iconic teams:  The Avengers, Justice League, Order of the Stick, LOTR, etc..

FORCED MOVEMENT

Basic strategies

Pull, Push, Slide

Increasing distance

Resisting forced movement

Zone Abuse 

BREAKDOWN OF CHARACTER CREATION - A STEP BY STEP GUIDE

ROLEPLAYING, OPTIMIZATION AND THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THEM

The Stormwind Fallacy

I still stand by the argument that this is a fundamental difference   between old school (basic D&D: 1 race/class, AD&D: very limted   multi-classing) vrs new school (I buy a book and there is a class in   their and I want it gimmie gimmie). The trend I see is old school =   roleplayers, new school = optomizers.

Note to New  school people: Don't listen to what you hear, you aren't a  dork if you  roleplay. It is ok to indulge in what D&D is all about,  roleplay.  If you try it and have a good DM, I guarantee you'll have a  blast and  won't care so much about optomizing. 
Okay, that's it.

I'm hereby proposing a new logical fallacy. It's not a new idea, but   maybe with a catchy name (like the Oberoni Fallacy) it will catch on.

The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy
Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa.

Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game.

Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse roleplayer if he optimizes, and vice versa.
Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically roleplayed better than an optimized one, and vice versa.

(I admit that there are some diehards on both sides -- the RP fanatics   who refuse to optimize as if strong characters were the mark of the   Devil and the min/max munchkins who couldn't RP their way out of a paper   bag without setting it on fire -- though I see these as extreme   examples. The vast majority of people are in between, and thus the   generalizations hold. The key word is 'automatically')

Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's   gameplay. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules   and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result.   Roleplaying deals with how well a player can act in character and behave   as if he was someone else.
A person can act while  understanding the rules, and can build something  powerful while still  handling an effective character. There is nothing  in the game --  mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you  participate in the  other.

Claiming that an optimizer cannot roleplay (or  is participating in a  playstyle that isn't supportive of roleplaying)  because he is an  optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind  Fallacy.

How does this impact "builds"? Simple.

In one extreme (say, Pun-Pun), they are thought experiments.   Optimization tests that are not intended to see actual gameplay. Because   they do not see gameplay, they do not commit the fallacy.

In the other extreme, you get the drama queens. They could care less   about the rules, and are, essentially, playing free-form RP. Because the   game is not necessary to this particular character, it doesn't fall   into the fallacy.

By playing D&D, you opt in to an  agreement of sorts -- the rules  describe the world you live in,  including yourself. To get the most out  of those rules, in the same way  you would get the most out of yourself,  you must optimize in some  respect (and don't look at me funny; you do it  already, you just don't  like to admit it. You don't need multiclassing  or splatbooks to  optimize). However, because it is a role-playing game,  you also agree  to play a role. This is dependent completely on you, and  is independent  of the rules.

And no, this isn't dependent on  edition, or even what roleplaying game  you're doing. If you are playing  a roleplaying game with any form of  rules or regulation, this fallacy  can apply. The only difference is the  nature of the optimization (based  on the rules of that game; Tri-Stat  optimizes differently than d20) or  the flavor of the roleplay (based on  the setting; Exalted feels  different from Cthulu).

Conclusion: D&D, like it  or not, has elements of both optimization  AND roleplay in it. Any game  that involves rules has optimization, and  any role-playing game has  roleplay. These are inherent to the game.

They go  hand-in-hand in this sort of game. Deal with it. And in the name  of all  that is good and holy, stop committing the Stormwind Fallacy in  the  meantime.

reserved 10

reserved 11

reserved 12

reserved 13

reserved 14

reserved 15

reserved 16

reserved 17

reserved 18

reserved 19

and one more for good measure.  Feel free to post now.

EDIT: Once I get a better feel for how many posts I'll actually need, i'll delete some of the reserved.  I just didn't want to get stuck with not enough since that seems to be a common problem with handbooks. 

It's awesome that you are doing this and I'm very much looking forward to it. Good luck!
I'll be keeping my eye on this one. Seems like a great place to browse when looking for new ideas for a character or just brush up on tricks you have heard about, but have never used yourself ;).
Even if the only result of this handbook is never again having to suggest Tiefling as a race for a pyromancer, it will be worth it, although I'm sure it will be useful in many other ways as well.
Good luck Noct; looking forward to this!
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
This is a great idea Noctaem I can't wait to see the finished result.  Should be helpful for just about everyone.
Good luck with this!

Suggestions for builds to detail: Ranger|Cleric (with Firewind blades + Morninglord + Radiant One and without?), *|Warlock, Tiefling Mage Pyromancer, Barbarian|*, any new or updated Rogue builds?
Hello everyone, so progress continues.  I'm doing info gathering and linking to the various threads / handbooks / guides already available.  If you guys want to help me out, feel free to post links to iconic builds that you guys would like added !  An example would be the Rebreather build posted by Matyr.  Or the Vader build.  Thanks to those who post

So I'm supposed to be all shameless...

Thats my Barb|Sm and my Paladin|Lock, in all their glory  
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Safe Haven

Warlock|Swordmage -> Sigil Carver

If allies stay next to you, they are nearly invulnerable to melee attacks (from marked enemies).

There is discussion in that thread concerning racial variants, Half Elf Swordmage with Eldritch Strike, Artificier|Swordmage, etc.

Scorpion Knight: High Armor, High Damage in Heroic Safe Haven: Stay near me and never get hit Eldritch Avenger: Crit Fishing at level 12, LFR friendly

All my contributions are in my sig.

Feel free to use/link/copy however you want.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I have to admit Mello that I've already linked more than a few things from your sig ;0  But thank you !

If you want an example of bolting Polearm kit on to a relatively vanilla character, or of TacWarpriest to make a pseudo defender, feel free to use my builds.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
For zone abuse, I'll throw out my DPR Kings build

For archetypal builds, I have a fire-based ninja.

In other areas, I think a general explanation of "-switch" builds (and why they are almost always a hybrid warlord) would be nice, plus links to them. Also, an explanation for genasi FWB ?/Morninglord/Radiant One builds, and some examples (Bookish Barb and a Battlemind|Warlock build).

It would also be good to include a link to the Pregen Characters thread.
And don't forget Hyperpoxia!
Needs moar Swordmage/Warlocks, like this one by Zathris.
awesome !  As soon as I have time (probably tomorrow), I'll add your suggestions into the main section.  In the meantime I started work on the Fire element sub section, if anyone wants to give feedback on it, that would help me.  It's a first draft of course. 

One note about flaming weapon is that it convert untyped damage to fire. Your wizard or sorceror don't like that but monks do love it considering the wide range of untyped powers they have. Make it easy to add a second type without it getting written over.
I suggest adding the following:

Mia: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Rebreather: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Headspin: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Incredibly Small & Loud, Voice of Thunder Pixie Sorcerer: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

I'm not sure that Extremely Small and Incredibly Loud is the type of iconic, archetypal build that creates a whole build category. I could be mistaken, but I wouldn't consider it appropriate (not saying it's a bad build, just not right for this thread).

The others I agree with.
I'm not sure that Extremely Small and Incredibly Loud is the type of iconic, archetypal build that creates a whole build category. I could be mistaken, but I wouldn't consider it appropriate (not saying it's a bad build, just not right for this thread).

The others I agree with.

I could say that about some of the others in this thread. Hard to draw the line isn't it.