Resource: Atlas Obscura

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
I stumbled across this site today: Atlas Obscura. Perhaps you've seen it before. I thought it might be good inspiration for your campaign. It's got a lot of obscure real-world locations and neat legends that would make for intriguing games. A lot of it is remote, but plenty are things you could insert into cities and such.

Today I was reading about an island off the coast of Brazil that is forbidden by the government: The whole island is covered by the greatest population of one of the most dangerous snakes in the world. The population density is something like 1 snake every square meter, meaning there's death every three feet in all directions. I wonder what dark secrets and treasures lay at the island's center?

What cool locations on this site would work in your game? What cool locations have you used in your game that would make this list, if they were real?

For any decision or adjudication, ask yourself, "Is this going to be fun for everyone?" and "Is this going to lead to the creation of an exciting, memorable story?"

DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Session Zero  |  Structure First, Story Last  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools  |  Game Transcripts

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

If it was good enough for Silent Hill, it's good enough for me ;) Centralia, PN

Founder and figurehead of Just Say Yes!

Member of LGBT Gamers

Odds are, if 4-6 people can't figure out an answer you thought was obvious, you screwed up, not them. - JeffGroves
Which is why a DM should present problems to solve, not solutions to find. -FlatFoot
A game is a fictional construct created for the sake of the players, not the other way around. If you have a question "How do I keep X from happening at my table," and you feel that the out-of-game answer "Talk the the other people at your table" won't help, then the in-game answers "Remove mechanics A, B, and/or C, add mechanics L, M, and/or N" will not help either.
So much for being able to sleep tonight: Ventriloquist Dummy Museum.

These things creep me out. Imagine if the PCs were investigating some horrid crime at this museum. All those eyes, watching them, judging them, as they poke about...

For any decision or adjudication, ask yourself, "Is this going to be fun for everyone?" and "Is this going to lead to the creation of an exciting, memorable story?"

DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Session Zero  |  Structure First, Story Last  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools  |  Game Transcripts

I actually live about 25-30 minutes from Centralia, PA...crazy ****.

Some people still live there and refuse to leave.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Spooky. I read this, and then through some entirely unrelated browsing found this - and I was going to post it here, before I noticed it came from the same site!
Yes, that's the site where I stumbled across the one I posted. I guess you know my political leanings now!

Here's a inspirational resource and a waste of several days of your free time.  If you ever need something with creeping horror or just plain weird check out the Secure Contain Protect Foundation.  It would be pretty cool to play as a researcher or aquisition team that worked for the foundation.  Not sure if DND would be the system to use though.
I also found a town with the "7 Gates of Hell" / Hellgate in southern PA, and the town apparently is used as a meeting place for satanic cults...and since I just picked up the Demonomicon for $11 on amazon, it's time for a Hellgate campaign...
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
It's actually more like 3-5 snakes per square meter; the snakes actually invaded the light house there and killed the family that lived there.

The website cracked.com has all kinds of articles on interesting/creepy places/events. It's a bit of a pain to search, but you can find good stuff like this:

www.cracked.com/article_20206_5-shocking...
Here's a inspirational resource and a waste of several days of your free time. If you ever need something with creeping horror or just plain weird check out the Secure Contain Protect Foundation. It would be pretty cool to play as a researcher or aquisition team that worked for the foundation. Not sure if DND would be the system to use though.

Let's see how some can be adapted to D&D:

053: idol that makes PCs in adjacent spaces attempt to attack it as though it were an enemy (full-round attack on failed Will save, single attack on successful Will save), except that the PC attacking takes any damage dealt. Perhaps the PC's allies must either move the victim away from the idol while he's awake (without getting close themselves) or try to knock him out with non-lethal damage?

217: mechanical constructs functionally identical to reflavored Ghouls/Ghasts, but much slower acting Fever.

682: The Tarrasque would get eaten alive by this thing. Eventually. Repeatedly. Perhaps the demons and devils of the Blood War constantly capture it and use it as a weapon of mass destruction by sending it to the other side, it got sent to the Material Plane, and the party needs to put themselves into the debt of an Archduke of Hell for him to send a big enough army of Pit Fiends to subdue it for a few minutes before it can be dropped back in the Abyss?

966: prevent PC's from resting, leading to extremely long-term fatigue/exhaustion.

Founder and figurehead of Just Say Yes!

Member of LGBT Gamers

Odds are, if 4-6 people can't figure out an answer you thought was obvious, you screwed up, not them. - JeffGroves
Which is why a DM should present problems to solve, not solutions to find. -FlatFoot
A game is a fictional construct created for the sake of the players, not the other way around. If you have a question "How do I keep X from happening at my table," and you feel that the out-of-game answer "Talk the the other people at your table" won't help, then the in-game answers "Remove mechanics A, B, and/or C, add mechanics L, M, and/or N" will not help either.
I'm a geography fanatic (that's what I got my undergrad degree in). This is a fantastic resource! Thanks for sharing.
I stumbled across this site today: Atlas Obscura. Perhaps you've seen it before. I thought it might be good inspiration for your campaign. It's got a lot of obscure real-world locations and neat legends that would make for intriguing games. A lot of it is remote, but plenty are things you could insert into cities and such.

I got exactly zero work done today and you sir are to blame!

I've read about some of those places before. Neat stuff.

I live in Connecticut - I have a couple of books on local legends, spooky places and ghost stories, and I get a fair bit of mileage out of them... You can't throw a rock here in New England without hitting a haunted graveyard, ghost town, or geographical anomaly with a mystical story. For instance, there's a patch of overgrown and empty woods up in the northern part of the state that was the site of a small town over two hundred years ago... Supposedly, sometimes if you go there and listen carefully you can hear the voices and sounds of the townspeople going about their daily lives. And then there's Devil's Hopyard, where Satan jumped up and stomped his foot on the ground, creating the hole that later became the so-called "bottomless" lake on the site, rumored to go all the way down to Hell. And the Gungywamp Swamp, with it's ruins claimed by various people to belong to everyone from Indian tribes to Vikings to Celtic druids. Oh, yeah, and I live near a hounted lighthouse, too...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

I got exactly zero work done today and you sir are to blame!

Same here. Even just some of the names of the places would make great titles for adventures.

Case in point, here's one that came across my Twitter feed:

www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-bounda...

"The Boundary Stones." Totally a great title for an adventure. Mysterious stones in specific places marking something that was once important and will be again. Why do they glow when there is a new moon? Why do many locals report that fey creatures are spotted only on these nights?

This is my new favorite site. Thanks, iserith

Also, type in the search term Hell and you find all sorts of freaky locations.

"The Boundary Stones." Totally a great title for an adventure. Mysterious stones in specific places marking something that was once important and will be again. Why do they glow when there is a new moon? Why do many locals report that fey creatures are spotted only on these nights?

This instantly reminded me of the miles upon miles of old Colonial-era stone walls that crisscross my local area - clearly, they were once property boundaries, but some of them are literally miles from any current dwellings. Some of them can clearly be seen to continue on far beyond what I'd consider a reasonable distance to build a wall - who the hell (other than the Chinese) builds a wall more than a mile long with their bare hands?
 I've always been fascinated by them and have long wanted to make a complete map of every last one and follow them all to see where they go. For some unknown reason, I just keep thinking that there's some deeper layer behind it... < cue conspiracy music >
  I actually used them in an adventure once - much like in Robin Hood : Prince of Thieves, the walls not only represented political and real estate boundaries, but the locals also used them as impromptu roads. However, the party eventually found out that many of the major walls were either laid out in a manner similar to the Nazca lines or were set down on top of powerful Ley Lines...
 Unfortunately, the campaign faded out long before the party got to the point it was revealed that the seven major cities of the campaign world were founded on the points of a continent-sized ritual circle, lol.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Sounds like the plot of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood there Mad_Jack. It has the same idea as your continental ritual circle, designed to rip the souls out of every man, woman, and child.
Sign In to post comments