Divine Bolts & Rapid Shot, any consensus on this?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post

Say I'm a ranger|invoker (or a half-elf ranger or invoker) and I turn my Divine Bolts into an RBA through Power of Skill. How does it then work with Rapid shot: "You make a ranged basic attack with a weapon against each creature in or adjacent to a square within the attack's range. You take a -2 penalty to the attack rolls."

Do I pick one square (area burst 1) and attack everyone in those with at least 1 of my 2 bolts, then cast off the other bolt anywhere I want? Say a single enemy, who could theoretically get 9 bolts in his direction if there's 9 enemies in the burst.

Also, if I MC'd Skald and aquired Words of Gravity or Song of Serendipity through a Dilettante or Unexpected Flourish feat, would I then be handing out defense/to-hit bonuses to my whole party assuming I land at least an equal number of bolts as I have allies?

Words of GravityUntil the end of the encounter or until you use another bard at-will attack power, your skald’s aura gains the following effect: Each time you hit an enemy with a basic attack, one of your allies in the aura gains a +2 power bonus to all defenses until the end of your next turn

Song of Serendipity:  Until the end of the encounter or until you use another bard at-will attack power, your skald’s aura gains the following effect: Each time you hit an enemy with a basic attack, one of your allies in the aura gains a +2 power bonus to his or her next attack roll before the end of your next turn.

No clear RAW answer, ask your DM.  The latetr part works.  But the whole is really not worth bothering with given the investments and opportunity cost required.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
No clear RAW answer, ask your DM.  The latetr part works.  But the whole is really not worth bothering with given the investments and opportunity cost required.

I'd say the investment is very minimal yet effective for a Half-Elf Ranger|Invoker in heroic. Sure it's your MC feat but then you can switch it later in Paragon to a Fighter MC for Dizzying Mace or whatever.
The investment is your MC feat and PMCing, or dilettante, plus a minor action, plus power of skill, plus archery mastery, plus a magic implement that likely doesn't work with any of your Ranger powers (since you're not likely to be able to use daggers as implements with this setup) or YET another feat to get shortbows as implements - either way, it probably costs you using an inferior weapon or two attack items.  It also costs you **~~TWIN STRIKE~~** unless you're human.  In which case, the rest of it is much more difficult.

And, all that for something which is fairly unlikely to be better than just... using Hand of Radiance.  The amount of AB1s are relatively small, taking a penalty to hit for using one hurts, and you could just use Divine Bolts. on its own for no penatly to hit, and likely just as many targets.  Or, for that matter, Twikn Strike to the same purpose.

It's a suggestion that's come up a lot, and it's both iffy by RAW and heavily reliant on interpretation as to how the targeting should work, and VERY, VERY expensive to little benefit.  DO it if you want, but it's really, really not worth the hassle.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

On the face of it, I agree with your general idea but I think this is one of the times when it truly is much more worth it because your basic attack is a multi-hit.

As for the cost, you're exagerating, you only need a few things assuming you're a WIS primary with 13 CHA Ranger|Invoker (DEX isn't so important*). First:

1) Power of Skill. Opportunity Cost: very low since you're in this for the Divine Bolts + Rapid Shot shtick
2) Divine Master. OC: see above.

I won't even count the two feats above as a cost because assuming they work as they do, that's what you're here for in the first place and the opportunity cost is non existant. Then the real true cost:

Master of Stories MC Skald. Cost: One feat and 13 Charisma (low synergy with a WIS primary character with no CHA riders, I'll admit). Also your MC feat: this one hurts but not that much because as a long ranged WIS-primary Invoker, what else are you going to MC into in Heroic. I understand wanting to MC fighter in Paragon to pick up Dizzying Mace, but otherwise you'd potentially MC Seeker which is decent but not much else.

Now you have a few options.

Corellon's Gift of Arcane Might: This doesn't cost you a thing slot, feat or race wise but it may be slightly challenging to get ahold of but also very feasible. You can worship Corellon as he's of the Skill domain for Power of Skill and tell your DM you'd like to receive his boon for your faithfulness. It's not unreasonable.

Half-Elf Dilettante: This is arguably the best Dilettante you could pick up in heroic as it lasts the whole encounter every encounter with your MC Skald. Half-Elf has a WIS boost and his CHA boost will help with qualifying for the Skald MC.

Unexpected Flourish: This costs a feat, which given you're already 3 feats deep for this shtick without an expertise feat, it's not a given. This is the worst choice of all three most likely.

Then the minor action at the beginning of the counter: big deal. You won't even use Hunter's Quarry and you're a backbencher with no minor attacks.

So the cost for the ability your party a +2 to hit every turn is your MC feat, 13 CHA, and either a boon, your Dilettante (until you get the boon, assuming you can retrain, if not you can pick up Words of Gravity as an alternative bonus) or at worst: another feat.

Instead of going Rapid Shot, you could also go Clever Shot, which used with Divine bolts would prone two enemies at-will. With Song of Serendipity, you can also grant two allies a +2 to attack for a total of +4 to attack against the proned enemies. That's some serious enabling in heroic for a minor stat investment and an MC feat.

*Pick up Cunning Fox as your Ranger encounter and Cobra Stance as your daily and you don't need DEX at all.

Well, until you get to later levels, but I suppose you can retain those.  You do, however, miss out on the Ranger's single best piece of control - Disruptive Strike.

Clever shot has more legs, I think.  It's a more useful power.

Giving up Twin Strike is still a very big deal, though.
Well, until you get to later levels, but I suppose you can retain those.  You do, however, miss out on the Ranger's single best piece of control - Disruptive Strike.

Clever shot has more legs, I think.  It's a more useful power.

Giving up Twin Strike is still a very big deal, though.

Not sure if I follow your last point. You'd have already lost Twin Strike to Archer Mastery, unless you were a human. Do you mean to say the whole shtick isn't worthwhile compared to having Twin Strike as a controller focused Invoker|Ranger? Or did you mean that the CHA stat investment would cripple your DEX too much to make Twin Strike effective?

Assuming you were a human, you can't effectively co-primary WIS & DEX anyway, so you'd be at a disadvantage with either Twin Strike or Divine Bolts. If you're hybriding Invoker and Ranger, it's most likely to be a controller, not a striker since it only takes away from your damage output as compared to a regular Ranger.

At that point losing Twin Strike is a big deal if you've got ambitions as an off-striker. So by going CHA 13 + Skald MC, you be pretty much trading any off-striker tendencies to be an off-leader. Given that your DEX would have lagged your WIS anyway, that's not necessarily a bad trade.

For a controller, I admit that Disruptive Strike would have made a great addition to a controller's repertoire, and having a hybrid who's primary abilities you've dumped is a bit of a drag, but otherwise you're looking a ranged Invoker with a non optimal Encounter selection (Cunning Fox) and a kickass multitarget enabling/controlling in the form of Clever Shot + Divine Bolts + Song of Serendipity. Oh and with poor defenses overall, espcially AC. Atleast you're ranged.

EDIT: Now i get that you meant that it isn't worth losing Twin Strike for the Clever/Rapid Shot + Divine Bolts shtick...reasonable argument that falls solely on how much you want to focus on controlling vs striking. If your goal was striking, why'd you hybrid those classes anyway. If you wanted to do some off-striking...I'd still say you're not as good as the strikers on your team so why not help them out with a prone and a buff instead.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Good read, not sure what to draw from it apart that it's funny nobody pointed out that a Half-Elf can't take the Sarifal Feywarden theme.

If you meant to point out that RAW Rapid Shot + Divine Bolts is stupidly powerful and shouldn't be used, than I agree. I'm leaning more towards Clever Shot + Divine Bolts anyway.
RAW you can attack every creature within range of the attack+1, because they are all in or adjacent to a square within range. Ridiculous wording is ridiculous.

Given rulings like Twin Strike's second attack being against a different enemy when used with HBO, yes, you can use the other attack to ping a different enemy.
Given rulings like Twin Strike's second attack being against a different enemy when used with HBO

Is there any documentation of such ruling/s? As a corollary such rulings impact Staff of Channeled Invocations (with PoS--Divine Bolts) utility with charges, OA's, warlord granted attacks, etc..