You Make the Card of the Week: Enduration (7-16 to 7-22)

62 posts / 0 new
Last post
No witty intro this week.

Rules and Information

1. Anybody may join at any time.

2. One card per post. Exception: If both criterias for a week are active at the same time, you may post up to two cards per post.

3. You may post multiple entries, but not one after the other (wait for somebody else to post before making your next post).

4. No Un-cards, please.

5. There will be at maximum two criterias per week.

6. There won't be any actual grades, just a Top 5 and maybe some comments.

7. The winner of each criteria will earn my nomination for this week's Card of the Week.

1st Criteria: CLOSED
But this is what it was...
Make a card that has an activated or triggered ability with a duration.

2nd Criteria: CLOSED
But this is what it was...
Make a card that ends something. Open interpretation (ends a creature's lifespan, ends a creature's attack/block, ends a turn, etc).

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Winner's Circle

Criteria 1
Exaggerated Hero :R:
Creature - Human Bard
:R:: ~ gets +1/+1 until it deals damage.
1/1
He'd entered the tavern as Ervin Dreggs, a man who'd just lost a fight to a goblin child, and left it - several hours later - as Mighty Ervin Skullcrusher, Great Hero and Goblin Slayer. This new persona got him far - until he came face to face with some goblins.

Criteria 2
Brain Dead -
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant player
Enchanted player's hand size becomes one.
Whenever enchanted player discards a card, he or she puts the top five cards from his or her library into his or her graveyard.
"Don't think too much, it doesn't suit you."

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)

After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

I am Black/Green

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Woodkin Lasher
Creature - Plant Elemental
: Tap target untapped Forest. You may choose not to untap that Forest during your untap phase. For as long as it remains tapped, Woodkin Lasher gets +1/+1.
Don't stray from the roads.
2/2
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
So what I gather from this is that nobody likes abilities with a duration.

I wasn't even thinking when I typed up the criteria. Do you know how many cards in Standard (counting M14) have activated or triggered abilities with a duration? 178 (at least). How can you not like activated or triggered abilities with a duration?

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

...This was already up?! Oops... But let's play with this.

Vehemlic Weird
Creature: Weird First Strike
As long as ~ is tapped all activated abilities cost less to activate.
[i]"Hmmm? Goblins are saying the vents are bursting here recently? Wonderful! We must find out why... Maybe it is Klavus's new design."
2/2

Edit: Urgh... Feel like it needs a better name and flavor text... 
How can you not like activated or triggered abilities with a duration?

I was thinking that too, but since you made the criteria, I would have some fun with the duration, rather than just make something with an 'until end of turn'-effect.
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
So what I gather from this is that nobody likes abilities with a duration.

It's not that...

No witty intro this week.

It's this.

Speaker of the Senate
Legendary Creature - Human Advisor
You may choose not to untap ~ during your untap step.
: Target creature gains flying and lifelink for as long as ~ remains tapped.
"My words are all you need to know." -Speaker
1/2

Aptitude Mimic

Creature - Shapeshifter

: Choose an ability from target creature with an ability. ~ gains that ability until you activate this ability again or that creature leaves the battlefield.

2/2

Like Peter Petrelli from the American TV show "Heroes" if you ever watched it.
Where the Rainbow Ends
Land
: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Whenever ~ taps for , creatures you control get -1/-0 until ~ is untapped.
Whenever ~ taps for , creatures you control can't block until ~ is untapped.
Whenever ~ taps for , lands you control tap for until ~ is untapped.
Whenever ~ taps for , spells you own cost more to play until ~ is untapped.
Whenever ~ taps for , you can't gain life until ~ is untapped.
Creature - Human Bard
:R:: ~ gets +1/+1 until it deals damage.
1/1
He'd entered the tavern as Ervin Dreggs, a man who'd just lost a fight to a goblin child, and left it - several hours later - as Mighty Ervin Skullcrusher, Great Hero and Goblin Slayer. This new persona got him far - until he came face to face with some goblins.
Ego
144902215 wrote:
Morgothra has the Syntax and Grammar of a God.
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
I can't compete with this.
57461258 wrote:
@Morgothra: Beautifully said, sir. Beautifully said.
Contest Winners
CKY, magicpablo666 and Dinobeer combined ingenuity and silliness to win a Summer fUn contest each! vlord beat the rest to become the architect of a better tomorrow in Build it and they will come! CityofAs pranced masterfully to victory in Skipping Merrily! ConfusedAsUsual conquered both tropes and opponents to ascend in Metafiction! FirstTurnKill condensed Success into Art form in Summing it Up!
Commander Envoy ()()()

Creature -- Human Warrior

Whenever a human or Warrior enters the battlefield under your control, human spells and warrior spells you own cost less to cast until you cast a nonhuman, nonwarrior spell.

2/4

Soldier's Solace
Enchantment
Whenever a creature without haste enters the battlefield it gains "This creature cannot be targeted by spells or abilities until its controllers next upkeep,"
They all rested for a while on the mammoth's back. They knew it could be the last time they would sleep soundly for a while.
Creature - Human Bard
:R:: ~ gets +1/+1 until it attacks or blocks.
1/1

In order to get the effect you want, you probably want to change this to 'until it deals or is dealt combat damage'. Otherwise, you can still just pump it after you've declared an attack/block.
Eternity's Seatfiller 
Instant
Exile target creature until any other creature card is exiled.
"Get me somebody.  Anybody.  And get me somebody while I'm waiting."
Keeper of the Keys 
Creature - Human Soldier (C)
Defender
When Keeper of the Keys enters the battlefield, another target creature gains defender until Keeper of the Keys leaves the battlefield.
"I can see the patient mischief in your eyes, like you're waiting for me to head for bed. What makes you think I sleep at all?"
0/4
Calamitous Phantasm :1M::BM::UM:

Creature-Spirit
Calamitous Phantasm is unblockable.
Whenever Calamitous Phantasm attacks, exile target creature. That creature is exiled until Calamitous Phantasm attacks.
Fearing a spirit that was never happy, is like telling the lord you love the devil.
2/2 

Not sure how to put "That creature is exiled until Calamitous Phantasm attacks.".
Is this the best way? 
Retreat into Dogma
Enchantment

You may skip your draw step.
At the beginning of your upkeep, exile target creature until you draw a card.

"Silence, heretic! The Order has power enough without your diseased rhetoric!" -- Inquisitor Lathal

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Holding Cell

Sorcery (not like it really matters)

[Color Indicator: White]

Suspend X:

When you suspend Holding Cell, exile all creatures target player controls. When Holding Cell is cast, return those creatures to the battlefield under their owner's control. They lose Haste until end of turn.
56544366 wrote:
If a card works well in Standard, does fun but not totally broken things in Modern, and gets stupid in Legacy, I call that designing for everyone's enjoyment.
Koridian Lifemage
Creature - Vampire Shaman
Whenever Koridian Lifemage attacks, exile target creature you control until the end of the combat phase. As long as a creature is exiled this way, Koridian Lifemage gets +X/+X where X is the exiled creature's toughness.
"Don't worry, you'll be fine. I just need your soul for a little bit."
3/3
Battlesworn Veteran -
Creature - Human Soldier
Haste
: ~ gets +2/+2 until it activates an ability.
: ~ has first strike and vigilance until it activates an ability.
3/2
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Battlesworn Veteran -
Creature - Human Soldier
Haste
: ~ gets +2/+2 until it activates an ability.
: ~ has first strike and vigilance until it activates an ability.
3/2
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Stasis Field

Enchantment

During your end step, you may tap three permanents you control. If you do, each player skips his or her untap step until the beginning of your next end step.
there's a danger to using a triggered event like "until" to mark a duration
NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

Top 5 (for Criteria 1)

AlienFinger's Woodkin Lasher--Pretty interesting card. Kind of like Omnath, only you don't get to use the mana.

vlord's Aptitude Mimic

Morgothra's Exaggerated Hero--That's an interesting ability. Can end up being dangerous, though. Fling it after 5 or so turns of pumping all your red mana into it...good thing fight is evergreen now, so there's at least a few ways to force it back down to a 1/1 (and incidentally kill it easily).

Shockwave's Soldier's Solace--Not really sure why this doesn't give shroud for a duration instead of text, but okay.

Glasir's Retreat into Dogma--I don't quite get the flavor-mechanic relation, but looking at just the mechanic I like it.

Nomination Proclamation
Morgothra's Exaggerated Hero.

2nd Criteria: Make a card that ends something. Open interpretation (ends a creature's lifespan, ends a creature's attack/block, ends a turn, etc).

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

To follow up on the first criteria:

Abrupt Independence
Instant
Until end of turn, permanents lose all abilities except mana abilities.
"Your services are no longer required."
Bluffer's Hourglass
Artifact
~ enters the battlefield with 5 time counters on it.
At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from ~, if the last counter is removed this way, the game is a draw.
Pay 2 life: Put a time counter on ~. Any player may play this ability. 
Ego
144902215 wrote:
Morgothra has the Syntax and Grammar of a God.
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
I can't compete with this.
57461258 wrote:
@Morgothra: Beautifully said, sir. Beautifully said.
Contest Winners
CKY, magicpablo666 and Dinobeer combined ingenuity and silliness to win a Summer fUn contest each! vlord beat the rest to become the architect of a better tomorrow in Build it and they will come! CityofAs pranced masterfully to victory in Skipping Merrily! ConfusedAsUsual conquered both tropes and opponents to ascend in Metafiction! FirstTurnKill condensed Success into Art form in Summing it Up!
Minutiae Scalpel
Artifact
Replace all instances of "end of turn" with "end of this phase".
You fools!  Nothing you say can prepa

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Continuation Field

Legendary Enchantment

Players skip their "End of turn" phase.

Yes, this does mean that you don't discard down to max hand size, damage doesn't get removed, until "end of turn" effects don't end... etc...
56544366 wrote:
If a card works well in Standard, does fun but not totally broken things in Modern, and gets stupid in Legacy, I call that designing for everyone's enjoyment.
Blinding Halo  
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Flash
Prevent all damage that would be dealt by enchanted creature and it can't block.
Abilities on enchanted creature that target a permanent or player can't be activated.

Blind hostility brings no harm.
---

My idea behind this aura is that the halo makes a creature effectively useless in combat thus ending it's ability to fight. That scary Blightsteel Colossus will be swinging at thin air and Cunning Sparkmage will have a tough time sparking anything.
I really wanted to get the idea of a blind creature right with the mechanics and I'm very pleased with this.

This is my first time doing this so I'm not too sure if this effect is following under the 2nd criteria, if it isn't I'll cook something else up. But if it does I'll happily stick with this.
spaghetti is easy
enchiladas requires cocking the filler, frying the shells and baking them together

that's a fine mechanic for blindness
I had used creature cannot attack or block alone for narrow vision
NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

Celestial Conjunction

Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put an alignment counter on Celestial Conjunction
As long as Celestial Conjunction has seven alignment counters on it, you may play cards you own from outside the game without paying their mana costs.
The stars are right.  The end times are upon us.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Double Hara Kiri(/
Sorcery
Double Hara Kiki can only be cast with basic lands.
Double Hara Kiri can only be cast from your hand.
End the game. (Both players life totals are reduced to 0. State-based actions are checked, And if no player has game ending altering effects, the game ends in a draw.)

The biggest Vorthos Ever I'd rather have an awesome mechanic than the most flavor any day. Constantly coming up with cards all the time. So if you see a card you like tell me. Constantly trying to get into card of the week if you see a card you like please nominate.

Eternity's End :WM::WM::UM::UM::BM::BM::RM::RM::GM::GM:
Sorcery

Eternity's End can't be countered.

Each player discards his hand, then draws seven cards, then removes his library from the game.
Each player then reveals his hand. The player who has the higher card's total converted mana costs wins the game.

"To be engaged in eternal battle is a great joy to me, but this is starting to get bothersome."

Devouerer of Eons

Creature - Elemental Whale

Haste, trample, flying
At the end of your combat phase, if ~ did not deal combat damage to a player, end the turn.
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, that player's next turn ends at the end of their combat phase.
Suspend 3: , end the turn.

6/6

Thoughts in Chaos -- 

Enchantment

Whenever a player casts a spell each of that player's opponents may draw three cards.  If any of those players do, that player can't cast spells until they discard three cards.

Discard three cards:  End the turn.  Any player may activate this ability.
---------- 

satisfies both criteria :p

sounds like good times to me, I love game changing effects like this, especially in multiplayer
I forgot to do my usual closing of the 1st Criteria yesterday, sorry. I was at work (as is where I'm at currently) and was trying out a new "shortcut" for getting things editted faster. It honestly took the same amount of time, though probably because I skipped over making sure the 1st Criteria was clearly marked "closed." So I doubt I'll try the same shortcut next time.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

Solitary Thinking -
Enchantment
Spells can't be countered.
Players can't cast more than one spell each turn. 
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Conformity

Enchantment
Creatures lose all types, are 1/1 and have indestructible and shroud. (they lose all other abilities)
"You can put an end to difference, yes, if you're willing to kill indiviuality along with it."

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Subliminal Voices
Enchantment
Creatures with Hexproof have Shroud instead.
He had trusted Larrick for a long time, but the whispers wouldn't lie to him would they?
Brain Dead -
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant player
Enchanted player's hand size becomes one.
Whenever enchanted player discards a card, he or she puts the top five cards from his or her library into his or her graveyard.
"Don't think too much, it doesn't suit you."
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Planecrash
Sorcery
Each player sacrifice all lands, then search their libraries for up to that many basic lands, put them onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle their libraries.
"It's the end of the world as we know it." - REM
Sign In to post comments