DLCR: Archaeomancer

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays final M14 card to rate is...

Archaeomancer

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

I like Archaeomancer.  It's just a very versatile little dude.  His stats aren't good but being able to bring back some removal or a combat trick can be very valuable.  Not first pickable but still a solid edition to any deck with instants and/or sorceries.

Discuss!
2.5 works for me too.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

I didn't really see the appeal of this one the first time around, outside of Talrand's Invocation style decks. Paying an extra  to get a 1/2 with your conditional Regrowth just doesn't seem like it improves matters much. I guess I'll give him 2.0 since there are some decks he should shine it.
Probably worse than last year, but still ok sometimes.  1.5 for me
There's no regrowth in this set.  What I don't like about this guy is his , which makes him harder to use with all the burn or black removal or giant growth.  I guess 2.0.
rstnme: "Everything looks good when your opponent passes 4 turns in a row."
2.0. Recursion on counterspells is fun!
2.5 for me, although I pick him high enough that he is pretty close to a 3. I love this card, I'm sad to see him without his BFFs Talrand and Invocation, but CA is CA.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
2.5 for me, although I pick him high enough that he is pretty close to a 3. I love this card, I'm sad to see him without his BFFs Talrand and Invocation, but CA is CA.

Correction:  CA is only CA if you can get a card out of a 1/2 body.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
Nice for retrieving removal. Spell recovery and a body for 4. Not great but can give your deck extra stability, especially if you can retrieve a counterspell or a Doom Blade.
Tome Scour is not as good as Mind Sculpt.

If you use this card to return Divination to your hand and then chump block with it, did it give you CA or did the divination give you CA? 
I always like it when I come into these threads and see the "You know nothin', Jon Snow"s, when in reality all of you have dodged the point by a good couple miles. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you may know the reason and just aren't saying it, but that's still pretty low.

In M13, if you knew you were going blue, Archaeomancer was about a 4. And it wasn't because he was card advantage or even because he brought you back removal. Sure, you could bounce back a clutch Murder, but the real reason was blue had bombs. Sleep, Switcheroo, and to a certain degree Talrand's Invocation. It was worth any price to get those back to your hand, and Archaeomancer did that quite nicely. Even having synergy with Switcheroo.

Without those bombs, Archaeomancer hovers around a 2.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Blue does have Opportunity this time around, though.  I just drafted an amazingly fun U/B control deck with this guy, a Divination and 2 Opportunities.  I got to do EoT Opportunity->Archaeomancer + Removal->Opportunity + Removal->Opportunity + Removal to end up with 7 cards in hand on turn 9.  Corpse Haulers got to recur him sometimes too, and he was fine just recurring doom blade, essence scatter or cancel if need be.

He obviously varies a lot by deck type, since you really need the right cards to recur with him to be worth it.  I'll give him a 3 in the right deck though.
A lot worse than last time. 1.5.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!